• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I don't know - the Switch does have a huge install base, and while I have frequently pointed out that that doesn't mean as much as people think (the people who buy the most games are also the people who buy consoles day one, which is why cross-gen games tend to sell about 70% of their copies on the newer console on day one and increase from there), they do mean something. Maybe MP4 and Pokemon really will be the only major Switch releases from here on, but I do wonder.

We could also have the bizzaro scenario where everything is made for Switch 2 immediately, but everything also gets a Switch Cloud Version.
I feel like if you hamper titles by starting their development from the ground up with the intention of it being a switch title and then just touching it up graphically and resolution wise it’s going to be very obvious it’s not a next gen experience, just like how we can tell when certain Xbox and ps5 games clearly started as last gen titles.
But in turn it would hurt the titles evergreen status, I would think.
Who wants the Mario game that, while very pretty is clearly a beefed up version for switch 2 of a switch 1 game, people would just start demanding a “proper” next gen Mario and then we won’t get that until what? Year 5? 6?
Casuals might not mind really, but if you just build a proper next gen experience from the get go then everyone will be happy with the titles quality, whether they’re hardcore and buy it day 1 or casual who buys it years later for their shiny new device and feel like they’re getting a proper huge shiny new game for their shiny new toy, not something they could have bought for switch 1 already but just opted to wait for when they upgraded.

Who wants the Mario game that, while very pretty is clearly a beefed up version for switch 2 of a switch 1 game, people would just start demanding a “proper” next gen Mario and then we won’t get that until what? Year 5? 6?
In the end, the quality of the game matters most not if it has mesh shading or uses the hardware to its fullest. A cross gen Mario by EPD Tokyo would sell tens of millions, because it would be a very good game.

Most of the PS5s first party exclusives, are to this day remakes.

In the end, the quality of the game matters most not if it has mesh shading or uses the hardware to its fullest. A cross gen Mario by EPD Tokyo would sell tens of millions, because it would be a very good game.

Most of the PS5s first party exclusives, are to this day remakes.
It isn‘t about how much it would sell, but how many people would buy Switch 2 if all the big games are also on Switch. Crossgen games will be games developed for Switch with Switch 2 versions (like Metroid Prime 4) not the other way.

They also release their games on PC. There is nothing that suggests that the next 3d Mario will be crossgen, but whether, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We‘ll see it in few months anyway.
I don't think its going to be crossgen either, just playing devils advocate.

It isn‘t about how much it would sell, but how many people would buy Switch 2 if all the big games are also on Switch. Crossgen games will be games developed for Switch with Switch 2 versions (like Metroid Prime 4) not the other way.
But what if that is intentional for release? Nintendo isn't going to have any problems selling out of the next device, no matter what they do, for at least the first three months, possibly longer.

What if they save those truly next-gen titles for a little later in the system's life? Who is to say it couldn't launch just fine alongside graphical upgrades to Switch 1 titles, crossgens with vastly better visuals on Switch 2, a solid lineup of freshly portable third party ports, and a handful of quirky gimmicky launch titles ala 'ARMS' and '1, 2, Switch!' ?

If Nintendo were to have a Direct by the end of January, would Nintendo try to reveal/tease the Switch successor in February? Is there any precedence for that in Nintendo's history?

IMO no game this gen so far has lived up to the gameplay design promise that Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart demonstrated can be successfully implemented with this gen's hardware. Part of that could be that the extended cross-gen period (which is still ongoing) could be limiting the scope of gameplay design ideas that can be realised right now (the other part is that the devs might not have these designs in mind anyway, of course, or that the current batch of games being developed were originally expected to launch earlier but were delayed due to the pandemic). My hope is that Nintendo only pay lip service to cross-gen by releasing current Switch projects like FE remakes and MP4 on Switch but developing the major titles for pate 2024 and beyond with novel gameplay ideas. I'm sure Nintendo have some brilliant ideas they would want to try with the massively increased data throughput that is realised by the new expected storage solution (UFS 3.1) and the file decompression engine, and I'd hate to see them limited by a reality of having to support the previous gen system.

Anyway, the pandemic is likely a significant reason why there is so much cross-gen going on right now. Nintendo will be playing in a different circumstance since they are releasing after it, and furthermore the fact that they rely on their games becoming pillar releases that sell throughout a generation means that it would be rather disappointing to see them release their games at Switch 1 capabilities and only utilise the performance and visual boost, rather than utilise the hardware to make new gameplay possible. Games like platformers and Kart racers in particular can benefit tremendously in obvious ways from higher data throughput in a way that makes new gameplay design possible. So if a MK9 and a 3d Mario were to release in 24/25 and were cross-gen it'd feel like a missed opportunity to me. On the flipside, games like Fire Emblem wouldn't be hindered nearly as much by being cross-gen, and cross-gen releases would make complete sense in those cases.

Mind you, I'm not saying that it is impossible for Nintendo to have novel design ideas without utilising the SSD-like read speeds. They had brilliant game design innovations with both of their new Zelda titles, for example. But I am saying that it limits the space of potential games design ideas for next gen titles that they could explore.

IMO no game this gen so far has lived up to the gameplay design promise that Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart demonstrated can be successfully implemented with this gen's hardware. Part of that could be that the extended cross-gen period (which is still ongoing) could be limiting the scope of gameplay design ideas that can be realised right now (the other part is that the devs might not have these designs in mind anyway, of course, or that the current batch of games being developed were originally expected to launch earlier but were delayed due to the pandemic). My hope is that Nintendo only pay lip service to cross-gen by releasing current Switch projects like FE remakes and MP4 on Switch but developing the major titles for pate 2024 and beyond with novel gameplay ideas. I'm sure Nintendo have some brilliant ideas they would want to try with the massively increased data throughput that is realised by the new expected storage solution (UFS 3.1) and the file decompression engine, and I'd hate to see them limited by a reality of having to support the previous gen system.

Anyway, the pandemic is likely a significant reason why there is so much cross-gen going on right now. Nintendo will be playing in a different circumstance since they are releasing after it, and furthermore the fact that they rely on their games becoming pillar releases that sell throughout a generation means that it would be rather disappointing to see them release their games at Switch 1 capabilities and only utilise the performance and visual boost, rather than utilise the hardware to make new gameplay possible. Games like platformers and Kart racers in particular can benefit tremendously in obvious ways from higher data throughput in a way that makes new gameplay design possible. So if a MK9 and a 3d Mario were to release in 24/25 and were cross-gen it'd feel like a missed opportunity to me. On the flipside, games like Fire Emblem wouldn't be hindered nearly as much by being cross-gen, and cross-gen releases would make complete sense in those cases.

Mind you, I'm not saying that it is impossible for Nintendo to have novel design ideas without utilising the SSD-like read speeds. They had brilliant game design innovations with both of their new Zelda titles, for example. But I am saying that it limits the space of potential games design ideas for next gen titles that they could explore.
Agree.

"My opinion launching in 2024", "personally I think we are close to the first trailer" was the Google translation. Very safe prediction really.

Edit: announcement before or after NG is the question.
i don't think it makes a great amount of sense to show the lesser version first if it's a cross-gen title. not that it will look terrible but you only get once chance for the best possible first impression & generating hype.

talking of Metroid the amiibo restock is still coming soon right? lets be optimistic if MP4 is going to be shown soon this could all be pointing to the Switch 2 reveal.

Where‘s Pyoro?
You rang?
2021091114561900-98873AAFEB6A7A208A12237792652AAE.jpg

Sure February make you very excited for ani thing huh
But calm down, we have nothing to tease Direct or Switch 2 related yet

I imagine that also Metroid Prime 2+3 are coming soon after. I think they want to do the same sort of deal like they did with Pikmin last year, having all games on one console.

i don't think it makes a great amount of sense to show the lesser version first if it's a cross-gen title. not that it will look terrible but you only get once chance for the best possible first impression & generating hype.

talking of Metroid the amiibo restock is still coming soon right? lets be optimistic if MP4 is going to be shown soon this could all be pointing to the Switch 2 reveal.
I don't know, it's possible the NG patch is just settings and resolution. In which case, I don't think there's much if any harm in showing a trailer of the Switch version.

counter-opinion:

Rift Apart isn't new, it just hasn't been done with such high fidelity assets. we haven't seen SSDs create novel ideas because, conceptually, they've been done on a smaller scale

Finally out of the penalty box. For the few that care, I saw there was some discussion regarding it a few pages back and I wanted to briefly say that I apologize for the comment and would never intentionally encourage war or loss of life regarding the Red sea conflict. The words I used were reckless and offered a tone that does not reflect how I truely feel about the situation. Moving back on topic:

I think due to the geopolitical situation, Any chance May 2024 had as a release just went out the door. Wall street seems to be in a bit of a "cautious" mode regarding all tech and I think that truely reflects Nintendo and their plans for the Switch 2. My thesis regarding insider trading and using it to predict announcements and talking with big players/rumors to predict releases is something I still truely believe in but unfortunate events in the world will cause changes. The talk of May 2024 in my neck of the woods has basically vanished last 3 weeks. At this point, Going based on what I've observed in markets and stock movements for Nintendo, It doesn't lean toward anything besides an announcement being imminent which is an obvious guess at this point.

As far as what shareholders are expecting for Feb 6th, Everybody i've talked to (Nintendo specific stock holders) is expecting it be mentioned AT LEAST (if not more). The stock is primed and has already made its move (big ups). Nintendo must give shareholders a reason to "stay in". If we don't see some sort of tease, mention, or guidance on their next generation then its my prediction they will lose a few investors. Whether or not Nintendo cares is a different story lmao

Finally out of the penalty box. For the few that care, I saw there was some discussion regarding it a few pages back and I wanted to briefly say that I apologize for the comment and would never intentionally encourage war or loss of life regarding the Red sea conflict. The words I used were reckless and offered a tone that does not reflect how I truely feel about the situation. Moving back on topic:

I think due to the geopolitical situation, Any chance May 2024 had as a release just went out the door. Wall street seems to be in a bit of a "cautious" mode regarding all tech and I think that truely reflects Nintendo and their plans for the Switch 2. My thesis regarding insider trading and using it to predict announcements and talking with big players/rumors to predict releases is something I still truely believe in but unfortunate events in the world will cause changes. The talk of May 2024 in my neck of the woods has basically vanished last 3 weeks. At this point, Going based on what I've observed in markets and stock movements for Nintendo, It doesn't lean toward anything besides an announcement being imminent which is an obvious guess at this point.

As far as what shareholders are expecting for Feb 6th, Everybody i've talked to (Nintendo specific stock holders) is expecting it be mentioned AT LEAST (if not more). The stock is primed and has already made its move (big ups). Nintendo must give shareholders a reason to "stay in". If we don't see some sort of tease, mention, or guidance on their next generation then its my prediction they will lose a few investors. Whether or not Nintendo cares is a different story lmao
Welcome back, @Shareholder Chad!

I think it would be hard and maybe even bad for Nintendo to do cross gen releases as long as Sony did with PS4 to PS5, first the Switch starts at a lower base than the PS4. Nintendo have been in their current gen since the WII U era, because the difference in capability between the Wii U and Switch is not big. So Nintendo will stay in 2012 if they have a long cross gen period. Nintendo is going from PS3 to PS4 pro levels and that i think needs to show pretty quickly by the difference in games releasing to Switch 2 compared to Switch 1.

counter-opinion:

Rift Apart isn't new, it just hasn't been done with such high fidelity assets. we haven't seen SSDs create novel ideas because, conceptually, they've been done on a smaller scale
Fair enough, you can do what R&C does without an SSD if you dial down the asset quality significantly such that you need to stream in a significantly lower amount of data at any given point in time. But do you think you could get R&C to run on a Switch spec device if you were given the freedom to strip away visuals and model quality, while ending up with a visual quality comparable to other Switch games (i.e. without regressing towards PS2-era visuals out of necessity)? Or more relevantly, could you run a Switch 2-spec game on Switch 1 assuming that the Switch 2 game is designed to utilise most of the data throughput capacity without completely undressing the Switch 1 version?

It is an honest question, not in any way a setup or a gotcha, just to be clear. To me, it strikes me as rather difficult to achieve that, and some DF tests with PS4-target PC hardware didn't inspire confidence that the scaling is very feasible for R&C PS5 -> PS4, at least.

Where‘s Pyoro?
Pyoro won't say anything until, at most, a week before a presentation drops. It's very obvious that their source is just giving him access to directs and other per-recorded video marketing early, likely around the time they're ready to upload to Youtube's servers before premiering. That means there's no room to misinterpret or get things wrong but it also means they don't know anything until shortly before the official air date. They have not yet proven that they have access to anything earlier than that.

Feb direct normally drops in the first or second week of Feb, so Pyoro probably won't see anything for at least another week or two yet.

Discussion of Hogwarts Legacy is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please refrain from continuing to bring up the title. - meatbag, Dardan Sandiego, Party Sklar
Fair enough, you can do what R&C does without an SSD if you dial down the asset quality significantly such that you need to stream in a significantly lower amount of data at any given point in time. But do you think you could get R&C to run on a Switch spec device if you were given the freedom to strip away visuals and model quality, while ending up with a visual quality comparable to other Switch games (i.e. without regressing towards PS2-era visuals out of necessity)? Or more relevantly, could you run a Switch 2-spec game on Switch 1 assuming that the Switch 2 game is designed to utilise most of the data throughput capacity without completely undressing the Switch 1 version?

It is an honest question, not in any way a setup or a gotcha, just to be clear. To me, it strikes me as rather difficult to achieve that, and some DF tests with PS4-target PC hardware didn't inspire confidence that the scaling is very feasible for R&C PS5 -> PS4, at least.
for the first question, in theory, yes, but that might be a dependent on your level design and how you set up your assets. it's a whole different kettle of fish in regards to how you generate textures, what textures you use, et cetera. getting into the weeds of squeezing every last drop of blood from the hardware that devs don't do anymore for sanity reasons

for the second question, no. Switch can't even run PS4/XBO games without that, unless you go back to square one in the game's design. we see this in Hogfarts and how they had to cut up the levels. I would guess this has more to do with memory amount because there's only so much data you can hold in memory and you can't stream in those spaces fast enough. now if the switch had 8GB of memory, then probably could do the game without breaking things ups

The changing dimensions that RC does is more or less also done by Bayonetta 3 on Switch, albeit with slightly longer "loading/transition" times than RC.

what's the new predicted release month? 😮

what's the new predicted release month? 😮

If you mean what shareholders think? Not one clue. May had so much steam behind it for us for reasons I’ve said and haven’t said but bottom line is the world has had unforeseen and unfortunate things happen. Nintendo as a company has been very socially conscious regarding world tragedies and events. They understand life is more important than games and I suspect and hope that plays into their decision making. A lot can be said on this subject.

I think the real answer is that Nintendo themselves might have it up in the air. I’m less interested in switch 2 release timing with the world that way it is right now. I’m more interested and focused in being a positive influence in my IRL and online communities. It’s why I am going to probably do something cool/positive with my Twitter whatever “it” is.

The announcement stuff however is very exciting and I’ll enjoy the ride on that. Speculation is half the fun. Seeing Nintendo fans be passionate is a source of motivation for me.

I don't know, it's possible the NG patch is just settings and resolution. In which case, I don't think there's much if any harm in showing a trailer of the Switch version.
likewise i think enhancements will be visual but after all the time in the oven the NG version will look considerably better. enough that it makes sense to market that as lead version of the game.

so by extension we'll see MP4 for the first time on Switch 2 when it's revealed. i can't imagine any other scenario considering the timing.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom