• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

If they are still having difficulties with supplies, I guess 2022 is completely out now.
I want to point out that the silicon shortage doesn't just affect the Big Sexy CPU and GPU. If they can't source tiny things like BlueTooth controllers for the Joy-Cons that might be a bigger problem than the SoC (which they likely secured capacity for well in advance, unlike BT controllers which they reasonably assumed they could source from multiple manufacturers).

These problems would affect any Switch model, and Furukawa has stated that they're looking at redesigns of the Switch to reduce the number of chips needed in order to keep production up. A New Switch is potentially an opportunity to do that redesign and build a device less affected by the global chip shortage than the current machine.

Not saying 2022 is definite, just that the chip shortage issue isn't as clear cut as it looks on the surface.

With the leak of Nintendo's hardware forecast being 20m, that seems too low for a drake release in the next fiscal year. So late 2023-early 2024 looks much more likely. Do you believe Nintendo would release a pro version in late 2023/early 2024, around 7 years into the console's life?
I agree that it's getting too late for a pro. I'm starting to believe that whatever they have right now will branded as switch 2. April 2023, Zelda as launch title, sharing first party with Switch(improved ports) for the next 2~3 years until having it's own exclusives.

I don't believe Nintendo will wait a huge dip like they did with Wii to release it's sucessor.

With the leak of Nintendo's hardware forecast being 20m
Where is this leak?

, that seems too low for a drake release in the next fiscal year. So late 2023-early 2024 looks much more likely. Do you believe Nintendo would release a pro version in late 2023/early 2024, around 7 years into the console's life?

If Nintendo's Next Big Device is in 2024, I believe it will be a handheld/TV console hybrid. I believe it will include the Switch name. I believe Nintendo exclusive games will be cross gen at least initially. I happen to believe an identical set of things if Nintendo launches new hardware in the next 12 months.

What happens after that is up in the air. If I had to bet money, then my money is on Nintendo phasing out the current Switch, replacing it with the Next Switch after a couple of years of cross-gen support - the "Revcessor" model. But I wouldn't be surprised to lose that money. I could see Nintendo pulling a GBA ("look, it's a successor! but just for a few years!"), a DS ("uh, it's a totally different product line, unless it's successful, in which case we drop the Game Boy like a hot potato"), a DSi ("it's a revision in the west, where DS sales are fine, but it's a successor in Japan, where DS sales are tapered the fuck off"), a 3DS ("it's a successor in every way, but we've kept the branding and form factor because those are really working"), or a New 3DS ("look, the Switch is coming, but we don't know if it's going to work, so we need to make sure the 3DS has a few more years of life in it, just in case the whole thing blows up in our faces").

Based on this recent article, when about do you expect Nintendo to release new hardware? My line of thinking was that it would launch alongside a big game like Zelda. Personally if Zelda comes out and it's just a regular Switch title with no indication of any new hardware then I think that the new Switch hardware is still a long ways off. I feel Zelda absolutely would be the big huge new games Nintendo would want to launch new hardware with. Nintendo loves to use big tentpole releases to launch new hardware with. Mario is another option but I feel like Zelda would make more sense here. With the Mario movie now coming out in April, I also begin to wonder when the next Mario game will be as we are due for a new one.
My expectation for the year 2023 hasn't waned, whether early or late in the year 2023. Nintendo has had something released roughly every other year that helped keep the switch relevant in the public eye and had a EoFY finisher that happens to sell a lot.

Nintendo's focus lately has been about having a large active install base rather than raw sales data, and with how they plan to bring them forward with the next platform.

People are more focused on the switch selling so well, but not so focused on Nintendo caring about other things that it selling well. They consider it a bonus, but their main direction isn't that.

@fwd-bwd and @Thraktor have a more summarized view of this and have had posts about this as well.

The data shown from the data breach, that we know of, is of a graphics API for the next switch, it has been in serious development since 2020, but data showing that it was also perhaps even earlier from 2019(demo perhaps). Devs have supposedly had the devkits since late 2020, so the API may have been far enough along for devs to make use of it. A chip takes a couple of years to design and finish for a release, considering the known information that it is derived from an existing chip (ORIN) that just released, but was revealed way back in 2019/2018. The amount of time from then to now is sufficient time to develop a new SoC especially one that is derived from an existing chip and even more so because it is a super computer that is doing the job most likely, not an actual human. And said super computer is meant for accelerating the amount of time it takes to actually design a chip.

This is in contrast to what Sony had to do in with the PS4 that took them ~5 years of R&D, Microsoft had started development for the Series in around 2015 for a year 2020 release. This Drake soc should take relatively a lot less time for development.

Andy Huang's claims should be taken with a huge grain of salt, going by rehased's comment below the article.

Anyway, speaking of RISC-V, Nvidia's already using RISC-V on Jetson AGX Orin for the platform security controller.

And this is not targeted at anybody, but I want to mention that although Arm and RISC-V are RISC ISAs, Arm ≠ RISC-V.

Ehh, I really wouldn't take the claims in that article at face value. For one, the fact that their benchmark of choice is Coremark is a warning flag, as it's really just aimed at embedded systems. It's a fully synthetic benchmark that has a very small memory footprint (ie it would probably fit within the L1/L2 of a typical modern CPU) and therefore doesn't really represent real world workflows in any meaningful way.

Secondly, their claims are quite ludicrous. They claim:

Immediately, the maths makes no sense. He claims that the M1 is "less than 100 CoreMarks per Watt" but it also is "roughly the equivalent of 10,000 CoreMarks". Does he think the M1 consumes 100W? Besides, his claim on the M1 being 10,000 CoreMarks is also highly suspicious. There aren't published results for it (because it's not designed for embedded systems), but the first result I can find online for it is the person who wrote the second response here, who got 162,000 for the full M1, or about 31,000 for one of the big cores. Then there's the comparison to the ARM A9 for some reason, which is a 15 year old CPU.

That's not to say someone couldn't design a RISC-V CPU that's at least as power-efficient as an ARM CPU. There are certain benefits to a newer ISA like RISC-V which has less baggage than an older ISA like ARM. If you're curious about the impact of ISA on design, I'd recommend this Anandtech interview with Jim Keller, who's worked with both AMD and Intel on x86 designs, Apple on ARM, and now RISC-V with Tenstorrent. We may see powerful, and power-efficient RISC-V cores at some point, but the ISA doesn't automatically mean it's going to be a super-efficient core, and you probably shouldn't believe snake-oil salesmen who claim they've managed to beat out the likes of ARM and Apple by a factor of 500x.

Thanks for all the clarifications on whatever his mathematical equations he used to come up with his comparison numbers, I probably should have clarified that what I found most interesting was his claims on the high clocks for his core along with the mV's used to achieve such numbers per core. In all of the deep diving I've seen he's not the only person that talks about how efficient RISC-V processors are at achieving great performance but also without killing efficiency gains at the same time.

You have a point there. Well said. Guess all we can do is hope for the best and that the pandemic really isn't crippling Nintendo's ability to release new hardware.
That being said, while 10 years might be the minimum number for switch support, I could see it last a little longer before they kill it completely.

I don't think any home console has ever had this much sales momentum in it's 5 year since the ps2 (I do think the pandemic helped, despite the cho shortage). Especially for a Nintendo console. I think many of us speculate that when a Switch successor gets released, current switch models will get 1st party cross gen support for at least 2 more years. Maybe 3. Like the PS4/xbone.

My expectation for the year 2023 hasn't waned, whether early or late in the year 2023. Nintendo has had something released roughly every other year that helped keep the switch relevant in the public eye and had a EoFY finisher that happens to sell a lot.

Nintendo's focus lately has been about having a large active install base rather than raw sales data, and with how they plan to bring them forward with the next platform.

People are more focused on the switch selling so well, but not so focused on Nintendo caring about other things that it selling well. They consider it a bonus, but their main direction isn't that.

@fwd-bwd and @Thraktor have a more summarized view of this and have had posts about this as well.

The data shown from the data breach, that we know of, is of a graphics API for the next switch, it has been in serious development since 2020, but data showing that it was also perhaps even earlier from 2019(demo perhaps). Devs have supposedly had the devkits since late 2020, so the API may have been far enough along for devs to make use of it. A chip takes a couple of years to design and finish for a release, considering the known information that it is derived from an existing chip (ORIN) that just released, but was revealed way back in 2019/2018. The amount of time from then to now is sufficient time to develop a new SoC especially one that is derived from an existing chip and even more so because it is a super computer that is doing the job most likely, not an actual human. And said super computer is meant for accelerating the amount of time it takes to actually design a chip.

This is in contrast to what Sony had to do in with the PS4 that took them ~5 years of R&D, Microsoft had started development for the Series in around 2015 for a year 2020 release. This Drake soc should take relatively a lot less time for development.

What I like to do in the speculation thread is bounce around my thoughts and gather everyone else's thoughts. I guess that is how I work. So I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback here in these threads even if I don't always agree or come off as being negative.

To be honest, as far as gaming goes it's been a lot of slow months lately in terms of news and now releases are even slowing. May has nothing I want to play lol and I also feel that Nintendo lately hasn't been releasing a lot of games that I'm personally not interested in. Sometimes that's the luck of the draw so I find myself kind of eagerly awaiting the next big things. Been excited as hell for the new Zelda which feels like it's been forever in development lol and as an OLED TV owner I've been wanting better hardware for years now so I'm always browsing these threads trying to piece some kind of evidence together to suggest something could be happening.

I'm left unconvinced but I do appreciate hearing others discuss details and I do learn things frequently from everyone here. I hope that maybe later in the year once Nvidia actually gets the chip out that maybe things will start clicking into place to suggest new Nintendo hardware is imminent whether it be something discovered in code, a manufacturing leak, a devkit leak. Something! We should also have a better idea of the chip capabilities once Nvidia blows the lid completely off of this chip. Hoping for it to be something special.

With the leak of Nintendo's hardware forecast being 20m, that seems too low for a drake release in the next fiscal year. So late 2023-early 2024 looks much more likely. Do you believe Nintendo would release a pro version in late 2023/early 2024, around 7 years into the console's life?

I don't understand this argument around the forecast. Let's assume this scenario:
Q1 to Q3 Switch sales slow down as expected on year six, let's say 15-16M for example.
In Q4 drake is announced, to be launched in March.
Regular Switch sales drop significantly (1M), and Drake launches with constrained supply, obviously sold out everywhere (4M). Here's your forecast.

Not saying this is what is going to happen, and in fact it's entirely possible to have the same exact numbers without a new release and the regular Switch selling better in Q4. Just saying that I don't see any way do disprove anything just based on this forecast.

What I like to do in the speculation thread is bounce around my thoughts and gather everyone else's thoughts. I guess that is how I work. So I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback here in these threads even if I don't always agree or come off as being negative.

To be honest, as far as gaming goes it's been a lot of slow months lately in terms of news and now releases are even slowing. May has nothing I want to play lol and I also feel that Nintendo lately hasn't been releasing a lot of games that I'm personally not interested in. Sometimes that's the luck of the draw so I find myself kind of eagerly awaiting the next big things. Been excited as hell for the new Zelda which feels like it's been forever in development lol and as an OLED TV owner I've been wanting better hardware for years now so I'm always browsing these threads trying to piece some kind of evidence together to suggest something could be happening.

I'm left unconvinced but I do appreciate hearing others discuss details and I do learn things frequently from everyone here. I hope that maybe later in the year once Nvidia actually gets the chip out that maybe things will start clicking into place to suggest new Nintendo hardware is imminent whether it be something discovered in code, a manufacturing leak, a devkit leak. Something! We should also have a better idea of the chip capabilities once Nvidia blows the lid completely off of this chip. Hoping for it to be something special.
And that’s completely fine! This is still a speculation thread after all and everyone speculates on known quantities to better formulate an opinion on the matter. Some people here have spoken about late 2024 to late 2025 where they envision Nintendo releasing the successor, others have disagreed with that and gave their opinion on why 2022 launch makes sense to them. After all if you believe that it is not coming this year or next year, that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with it. Plus, you don’t really lose anything whether it comes this year, next year or the year after, if it comes this year it’s even better because you get to play with it sooner.

Some others brought up the idea of Nintendo stock piling on the silicon, using the pretense of “there’s a chip shortage“, completely ignoring that a chip shortage does not mean you stockpile chips or can’t release a new product. These days companies are not stockpiling they’re making and shipping as soon as it gets done unlike before where they can make an stock pile for a later date. By that I mean they can make a device in quarter one and release it for quarter three or late quarter 2 before. These days? They are moving to building it and releasing it within the same quarter to retailers because it makes no sense in storing it or stockpiling it as it’s becoming more expensive to do so due to the chip shortage and it limits the overall supply.

Others have used the argument of they’ll wait for the ship shortage to end, but the shortage is not ending anytime soon. Comments about it releasing in 2024 or 2025 when the chip shortage is estimated to last until 2026-2027 or later. It’s either releasing something in the chips shortage or release nothing, and based on the leaks we know that they are working on something and have been doing so for years.

And finally, NVidia will most likely not talk about this chip unless Nintendo gave them permission to talk about this chip. So I wouldn’t expect anything about that to be honest.

If Nintendo does not feel comfortable with it, then they simply won’t discuss this chip, other than a small press release about how they are powering the next Nintendo system with a RayTracing features and what not but nothing really in specific. Expect some thing that is even more secretive than the PlayStation 5.

Don’t expect an MS style presentation where they give all the goodies away.

And that’s completely fine! This is still a speculation thread after all and everyone speculates on known quantities to better formulate an opinion on the matter. Some people here have spoken about late 2024 to late 2025 where they envision Nintendo releasing the successor, others have disagreed with that and gave their opinion on why 2022 launch makes sense to them. After all if you believe that it is not coming this year or next year, that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with it. Plus, you don’t really lose anything whether it comes this year, next year or the year after, if it comes this year it’s even better because you get to play with it sooner.

Some others brought up the idea of Nintendo stock piling on the silicon, using the pretense of “there’s a chip shortage“, completely ignoring that a chip shortage does not mean you stockpile chips or can’t release a new product. These days companies are not stockpiling they’re making and shipping as soon as it gets done unlike before where they can make an stock pile for a later date. By that I mean they can make a device in quarter one and release it for quarter three or late quarter 2 before. These days? They are moving to building it and releasing it within the same quarter to retailers because it makes no sense in storing it or stockpiling it as it’s becoming more expensive to do so due to the chip shortage and it limits the overall supply.

Others have used the argument of they’ll wait for the ship shortage to end, but the shortage is not ending anytime soon. Comments about it releasing in 2024 or 2025 when the chip shortage is estimated to last until 2026-2027 or later. It’s either releasing something in the chips shortage or release nothing, and based on the leaks we know that they are working on something and have been doing so for years.

And finally, NVidia will most likely not talk about this chip unless Nintendo gave them permission to talk about this chip. So I wouldn’t expect anything about that to be honest.

If Nintendo does not feel comfortable with it, then they simply won’t discuss this chip, other than a small press release about how they are powering the next Nintendo system with a RayTracing features and what not but nothing really in specific. Expect some thing that is even more secretive than the PlayStation 5.

Don’t expect an MS style presentation where they give all the goodies away.

I've spent more time then I care to admit thinking about the next hardware. Probably because my life is extremely boring if I'm being honest. The PS5 and XSX are so far ahead in terms of technology that it leaves me really wanting to see what Nintendo could do with franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc with modern day tech and engines. I imagine an extremely gorgeous yet eerie looking world for Samus to explore with gorgeous fog effects, wildlife, plants, mechanical structures, etc in gorgeous visuals and my mouth just waters and don't get me started on Zelda.

Honestly the Switch really doesn't feel all that much better then GameCube and Wii aside from the obvious move to HD graphics. Like games like Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, etc all still look relatively close to what we get on Switch from Nintendo. By no means am I saying that the hardware is the same. It's obviously not but I also don't think it's that much of a leap in practice. Most of the extra power went to the HD resolution whereas the graphics themselves while they certainly look better, I wouldn't call it a massive leap over the very old GameCube/Wii era.

I really really want new hardware from Nintendo and with each passing year it seems like I'm not alone in this regard. A lot of the popular Nintendo channels on YouTube are also constantly talking about new hardware. Nintendo makes my favorite games and I just want to see them in better visuals with better framerates and resolutions. Nintendo will never catch up with competitors in terms of visuals but they are long overdue for at least a huge step forward. At least get us to PS4 Pro tech would be a huge boost for fans and their own developers who really want to push the envelope on what's next.

As for the next hardware, I don't know what to think anymore. Like I thought we were getting something new years ago and then the years kept passing and well there is less rumors and speculation 4 years later then there were back then. I'm just hoping that new hardware does indeed launch in Spring and we can all play the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild in 4K on a 4K TV next year but what happens if Zelda comes out and there is still no evidence of new hardware? My benchmark for new hardware launch was always; When Nintendo releases big tentpole titles such as a mainline Zelda entry or new Mario. So if these big titles start dropping with no signs of new hardware then that really speaks volumes in terms of new hardware release timeline. Fingers crossed for more information soon!

I've spent more time then I care to admit thinking about the next hardware. Probably because my life is extremely boring if I'm being honest. The PS5 and XSX are so far ahead in terms of technology that it leaves me really wanting to see what Nintendo could do with franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc with modern day tech and engines. I imagine an extremely gorgeous yet eerie looking world for Samus to explore with gorgeous fog effects, wildlife, plants, mechanical structures, etc in gorgeous visuals and my mouth just waters and don't get me started on Zelda.

Honestly the Switch really doesn't feel all that much better then GameCube and Wii aside from the obvious move to HD graphics. Like games like Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, etc all still look relatively close to what we get on Switch from Nintendo. By no means am I saying that the hardware is the same. It's obviously not but I also don't think it's that much of a leap in practice. Most of the extra power went to the HD resolution whereas the graphics themselves while they certainly look better, I wouldn't call it a massive leap over the very old GameCube/Wii era.

I really really want new hardware from Nintendo and with each passing year it seems like I'm not alone in this regard. A lot of the popular Nintendo channels on YouTube are also constantly talking about new hardware. Nintendo makes my favorite games and I just want to see them in better visuals with better framerates and resolutions. Nintendo will never catch up with competitors in terms of visuals but they are long overdue for at least a huge step forward. At least get us to PS4 Pro tech would be a huge boost for fans and their own developers who really want to push the envelope on what's next.

As for the next hardware, I don't know what to think anymore. Like I thought we were getting something new years ago and then the years kept passing and well there is less rumors and speculation 4 years later then there were back then. I'm just hoping that new hardware does indeed launch in Spring and we can all play the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild in 4K on a 4K TV next year but what happens if Zelda comes out and there is still no evidence of new hardware? My benchmark for new hardware launch was always; When Nintendo releases big tentpole titles such as a mainline Zelda entry or new Mario. So if these big titles start dropping with no signs of new hardware then that really speaks volumes in terms of new hardware release timeline. Fingers crossed for more information soon!
Your listening to a very noisy niche.

Why does lower hardware forecast mean no chance of new hardware? Genuine question here.

The article itself is about supply chain issues - there's going to inherently be a 'maximum' that they can produce. If 20 million is that limit, then how could we possibly observe anything about new hardware from it.

Also - 20 million is still a massive number. This feels hardly as damning as some are implying.
The argument goes that a new hardware launch will result in the number either being weirdly high (because of a bump in sales due to a hardware launch) or weirdly low (because sales will be counted separately). Personally I think that view is a bit overly simplistic, especially in light of current events.
Based on this recent article, when about do you expect Nintendo to release new hardware? My line of thinking was that it would launch alongside a big game like Zelda. Personally if Zelda comes out and it's just a regular Switch title with no indication of any new hardware then I think that the new Switch hardware is still a long ways off. I feel Zelda absolutely would be the big huge new games Nintendo would want to launch new hardware with. Nintendo loves to use big tentpole releases to launch new hardware with. Mario is another option but I feel like Zelda would make more sense here. With the Mario movie now coming out in April, I also begin to wonder when the next Mario game will be as we are due for a new one.
Personally the article didn't change my position at all. Still think it's probably coming this fiscal year in absence of strong evidence otherwise. The number is an interesting data point, but not one that points especially strongly in any direction.

Your listening to a very noisy niche.

Yup but as time goes on those voices are growing and becoming louder. Maybe Nintendo still won't care but how long before the negativity gets so bad that it really starts to impact sales? Eventually people might really just start moving on from Switch/Nintendo outright and just migrate to PS5/XSX once those become easier to get.

I wonder how long Nintendo can really milk the old Switch at this rate. The hardware is tired, third party developers are walking away, a segment of fans are starting to get upset, etc. So when does Nintendo finally move on and give us something new? It's a weird situation. We will likely reach 6 full years of Switch before new hardware launches but will we reach 7 years? 8 years? Like how many people are still using cellphones that are that old? I don't know. It's time to move onto new hardware but we are all waiting for Nintendo to get the message lol.

Yup but as time goes on those voices are growing and becoming louder. Maybe Nintendo still won't care but how long before the negativity gets so bad that it really starts to impact sales? Eventually people might really just start moving on from Switch/Nintendo outright and just migrate to PS5/XSX once those become easier to get.

I wonder how long Nintendo can really milk the old Switch at this rate. The hardware is tired, third party developers are walking away, a segment of fans are starting to get upset, etc. So when does Nintendo finally move on and give us something new? It's a weird situation. We will likely reach 6 full years of Switch before new hardware launches but will we reach 7 years? 8 years? Like how many people are still using cellphones that are that old? I don't know. It's time to move onto new hardware but we are all waiting for Nintendo to get the message lol.
Third party developers are walking away? We're in a bit of a drought right now, but we've gotten a ton of ports in the last few years alone.

Third party developers are walking away? We're in a bit of a drought right now, but we've gotten a ton of ports in the last few years alone.

I heard a lot of developers are struggling with game development of modern ports on Switch. I think Nate even commented on that Rockstar wanted to bring GTA V over but because of the NSO limitations, they passed on the port. I've heard others talk about developers starting to move on as well. I mean even companies like Atlus don't seem to want to support the platform anymore. Are there still plenty of third party and indie developers left? Absolutely but there is less and less as time goes on in terms of big AAA ports that are not coming to Switch.

There's no evidence of any of that. Nintendo will soon announce that it sold 23m Switch's in the last financial year, higher than any year in Playstation's history. Look at software sales breaking records.

I heard a lot of developers are struggling with game development of modern ports on Switch. I think Nate even commented on that Rockstar wanted to bring GTA V over but because of the NSO limitations, they passed on the port. I've heard others talk about developers starting to move on as well. I mean even companies like Atlus don't seem to want to support the platform anymore. Are there still plenty of third party and indie developers left? Absolutely but there is less and less as time goes on in terms of big AAA ports that are not coming to Switch.
It's not like those miracle ports sell anything anyway.

It's not like those miracle ports sell anything anyway.
They sell really good, many even passed 1m point, like Overwatch, MK11 and Witcher 3. Of course they don't do Pokémon or Mario numbers, nothing do Mario and Pokémon numbers except Mario and Pokémon.

But yes, if there's gonna be a Switch Pro, it'll mainly be for third parties. Nintendo themselves doesn't need modern hardware, they consider new gen if it brings something new. Better graphical capabilities will only be for third party and Nintendo associates like Platinum.
Same here, buying a Nintendo system for third party AAA titles is a bit silly.
You're calling me "silly"? Come on now. Nintendo will always be the place to play AAA games on the go. Nothing will ever change that.

I don't think Nintendo would mind if the tech enthusiast moved on to other platforms, they are such a small niche and let Nintendo be a toy company who makes toys for kids and Big kids
Ummm, what. "Nintendo for kids" argument on a Nintendo forum? Come on now. Nintendo themselves funded many of the "miracle ports" and requested many personally like MK11.

Please. As an handheld only gamer, this post gave me massive anxiety.

We literally just got Shin Megami Tensei V, Persona 4 Arena, and 13 Sentinels from Atlus in the past few months alone. Atlus supports the Switch a lot lol

I mean I could care less
3tYLExB.gif

Sorry yall the Weird Al fan in me couldn't help it, please carry on

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a toy company or adults playing with toys (Me). I just don't think Nintendo cares for the tech enthusiast market.
Well, you think wrong. It was literally one of Iwata's final wishes to have DQ11 to get miracle ported to Switch. They care and they need to care. They know from the firsthand the bitter consequences of not caring (Wii U).

Well, you think wrong. It was literally one of Iwata's final wishes to have DQ11 to get miracle ported to Switch. They care and they need to care. They know from the firsthand the bitter consequences of not caring (Wii U).
The wii u did not fail beacuse of third party it failed because it just was crap console

I don't think Nintendo would mind if the tech enthusiast moved on to other platforms, they are such a small niche and let Nintendo be a toy company who makes toys for kids and Big kids
Then why Nintendo does deals with some many third parties that dont make games for kids ? Or why it’s the n1 platform for JRPGs when they are usually games for a core audience

The wii u did not fail beacuse of third party it failed because it just was crap console
The popularity of Mario should have saved even the crappiest console from such humiliation. It didn't because having nothing but Mario made it crappy in the first place. The reason Switch is immensely successful compared to 3DS and Wii U is its amazing and super diverse library. Nintendo is very aggressive about third party this time around and it paid off very well.
I didn’t know Nagoshi had a burner account.
If it was up to Nagoshi, Switch wouldn't even have got DQ11. Dude even prevented Sakura Wars to be on it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a toy company or adults playing with toys (Me). I just don't think Nintendo cares for the tech enthusiast market.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this statement. I see myself as a tech enthusiast and Nintendo definitely develops more for the casual and mainstream markets. The continued incredible success of the Switch shows that most people don't care about tech and teraflops like I do. This is partly why I've been so hesitant to believe new hardware is coming. Switch is still selling insane volumes that any other console maker would be jealous with and that's a 5+ year old console at the same price point.

I'm more inclined to believe that Nintendo may not release new hardware until the Switch sales finally start significantly dropping and people begin to really lose interest but so far there isn't any real sign that this will happen any time soon.

Releasing new beefier hardware greatly increases game development costs and we see both Microsoft and Sony and a lot of AAA third parties struggle with the high cost and lengthy development cycles of AAA games these days and I think Nintendo will want to avoid this as long as humanly possible and with strong Switch sales, they can probably squeeze another 2-3 years out of the Switch if they really wanted.

I can't speak for Nintendo but from a pure business standpoint if I was Nintendo I probably wouldn't release new hardware until the Switch was really starting to lose steam. Financial wise, there is no real reason to do so right now with such successful numbers still for old hardware that is much cheaper to develop for.

Since Iwata passed away, every single move Nintendo has made has been based on a pure business sense of what will make the most money. Every single aspect of the Switch ecosystem seems designed to maximize profits right down to full price ports of old games such as Skyward Sword. So if Nintendo is using this same philosophy to gauge when they should release new hardware then I recon it could be several years off. They will want to milk the Switch as long as possible as it's far cheaper to develop for. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are dreading releasing new hardware if that means they will have to poor a lot more time and resources and R&D into new graphics engines and technology. Nintendo is very far behind in comparison to Microsoft and Sony these days when it comes to graphics technology. Real money will likely need to be invested for Nintendo to be able to really push visuals forward both in terms of software and hardware and I think they are trying to stall as long as possible and the huge success the Switch continues to see is making this an easy decision which is why they have no problem constantly reminding us that Switch is only half way through it's lifecycle. I don't THINK we will have to wait until 2027 for new hardware but if nothing happens next year then my next guess would be 2024-2025.

At the end of the say this is all pure speculation. New hardware could come at any time and I personally am hoping sooner then later. I want to play the next Zelda game in 4K with better visuals lol.

I think you're just confused about what Nintendo aims to make, given their history of making toys in the mid 20th century.

They're an integrated hardware and software entertainment company.

Tech enthusiasts can also play with toys. That’s why all the platforms are selling well, even with some of the being out of stock.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this statement. I see myself as a tech enthusiast and Nintendo definitely develops more for the casual and mainstream markets. The continued incredible success of the Switch shows that most people don't care about tech and teraflops like I do. This is partly why I've been so hesitant to believe new hardware is coming. Switch is still selling insane volumes that any other console maker would be jealous with and that's a 5+ year old console at the same price point.

I'm more inclined to believe that Nintendo may not release new hardware until the Switch sales finally start significantly dropping and people begin to really lose interest but so far there isn't any real sign that this will happen any time soon.

Releasing new beefier hardware greatly increases game development costs and we see both Microsoft and Sony and a lot of AAA third parties struggle with the high cost and lengthy development cycles of AAA games these days and I think Nintendo will want to avoid this as long as humanly possible and with strong Switch sales, they can probably squeeze another 2-3 years out of the Switch if they really wanted.

I can't speak for Nintendo but from a pure business standpoint if I was Nintendo I probably wouldn't release new hardware until the Switch was really starting to lose steam. Financial wise, there is no real reason to do so right now with such successful numbers still for old hardware that is much cheaper to develop for.

Since Iwata passed away, every single move Nintendo has made has been based on a pure business sense of what will make the most money. Every single aspect of the Switch ecosystem seems designed to maximize profits right down to full price ports of old games such as Skyward Sword. So if Nintendo is using this same philosophy to gauge when they should release new hardware then I recon it could be several years off. They will want to milk the Switch as long as possible as it's far cheaper to develop for. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are dreading releasing new hardware if that means they will have to poor a lot more time and resources and R&D into new graphics engines and technology. Nintendo is very far behind in comparison to Microsoft and Sony these days when it comes to graphics technology. Real money will likely need to be invested for Nintendo to be able to really push visuals forward both in terms of software and hardware and I think they are trying to stall as long as possible and the huge success the Switch continues to see is making this an easy decision which is why they have no problem constantly reminding us that Switch is only half way through it's lifecycle. I don't THINK we will have to wait until 2027 for new hardware but if nothing happens next year then my next guess would be 2024-2025.

At the end of the say this is all pure speculation. New hardware could come at any time and I personally am hoping sooner then later. I want to play the next Zelda game in 4K with better visuals lol.
New best friend

If other companies wanna move on then let them. I don’t think a Switch 2 is going to change GTA not coming to the Switch because of NSO limitations & not wanting to decouple GTO is going to change that.

At this point people just need to accept Switch is not in a lot of big developers calculations. They’ll throw a bone every now and then, but the majority of games are going to be:
  • Indie
  • Mobile
  • AA
Atlus making weird decisions with SH2 is just Atlus being another kind of weird.

Last edited:
@Kevin
To get some context on your perspective, how long do you think the period of time is between:
switch flips inside the figurative head of Nintendo "Yes, time to sign off on New Hardware"
and then release of said New Hardware.

I'm getting the impression that you're thinking that decision making of this sort will be reactive to present figures, as opposed to proactive or predictive of decline some time later.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom