• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

def not few months. I still maintain that prime 4 is late 2024 no matter how many users who like to say "well ackchually its likely that" pile on me lmao.
Still to little time for a series with a little fanbase and negative reception (not the game , the HD ports) will get after Prime R

Prime R bringed the hype just do that fuclong teaser who cares if it is late 2024

A 10 dollar less Prime 2 HD and 3HD are not going to help Prime 4 in any way

Predictions for a release in 2023 and a release in Q1 (January to March) 2024 have always been effectively the same thing in this thread, since both are derived from the assumption that a tapeout of the T239 SoC occurred around the middle of 2022. Initially, the predictions based on this assumption were for a release in 2022 or early 2023, since product releases using a new integrated circuit roughly tend to happen 6 to 12 months after its tapeout, but after that the predictions became based on the maximum possible time period after tapeout that still makes sense, the consensus of which seems to be around 18 months*, which coincides with Q1 2024.

This is all opposed to the predictions of a release in the second half of 2024 or later, which would likely mean that the assumptions about the tapeout of the SoC were wrong in some way.

* These timelines for an SoC tapeout to product release are based on the long history of semiconductor production records, the data of which I don't have immediately available. This post is just a surface-level summary of previous posts in this thread which have outlined all this in more detail.
That's not the only possible explanation.

Turmoil behind the scenes could also explain it. Maybe the soc development was the only thing that's been going smooth, and theres been bumps in the road for other aspects of the hardware or software.

def not few months. I still maintain that prime 4 is late 2024 no matter how many users who like to say "well ackchually its likely that" pile on me lmao.
Was that last part really necessary?
I still think that there is something very wrong in a strategy about Prime 2 and 3 being release a few months before Prime 4

Rember that the Pikmin games fill a spot and feels like extra at the end of Pikmin 4 marketing

Also I honesyly think that the quality of Prime 1 R made people forget about Prime 4 for a while, Prime 2 will probably not
I don't think there's anything wrong with having the other Prime games ease people into Prime 4. It gives the series mind share; besides, Nintendo and other publishers have done this before with other releases.

Turmoil behind the scenes could also explain it. Maybe the soc development was the only thing that's been going smooth, and theres been bumps in the road for other aspects of the hardware or software.
That’s a very good point and one that I haven’t seen here before!

Is it a case that due to Nintendo’s tendency to introduce new tech (gimmicks for lack of a better word) that they have simply finished the SOC plate of their plate spinning when it comes to hardware development?

It would at least serve as a bridge between the ‘T239 is cancelled because it’s been too long’ and the ‘Must be Q1 24 latest as T239 was taped out 18 months ago’.

Was that last part really necessary?

I don't think there's anything wrong with having the other Prime games ease people into Prime 4. It gives the series mind share; besides, Nintendo and other publishers have done this before with other releases.
Although I personally would never be able to play four (presumably) similar games in such quick succession due to burnout etc, I’m hoping it’s more of a conscious effort from Nintendo to build up their classics library, as it would be a positive step towards having full series’ available on the Switch and Successor.

We’re already close to that on 2D Metroid with only Zero Mission absent, 3D Zelda only has two omissions, 3D Mario is only missing Galaxy 2 (once you include 3D Allstars, which is a bit of a stretch I will admit).

I know this is largely fan fiction, but it would be great for them to catch up with PS/XB who have three generations of games available on their stores/subscriptions.

Although I personally would never be able to play four (presumably) similar games in such quick succession due to burnout etc, I’m hoping it’s more of a conscious effort from Nintendo to build up their classics library, as it would be a positive step towards having full series’ available on the Switch and Successor.

We’re already close to that on 2D Metroid with only Zero Mission absent, 3D Zelda only has two omissions, 3D Mario is only missing Galaxy 2 (once you include 3D Allstars, which is a bit of a stretch I will admit).

I know this is largely fan fiction, but it would be great for them to catch up with PS/XB who have three generations of games available on their stores/subscriptions.
Nintendo has 7 generations available across the eShop and NSO apps.

The problem is they're not persistent. If those 7 generations go over to next gen with 0 fuss, then we'll be home free.

That would be awesome, but would require a second screen which would increase the price by a lot.
Could be sold separately as an extension for those who want it.

Saw this random mockup on Twitter btw

It would not in the slightest "require" a second screen.

How do people think off-TV play worked on Wii U's DS virtual console?

I agree that I incorrectly used that word, but it would definitely be a much better experience with a second screen for portable play.
I... Can't say I agree in the slightest?

The Switch screen is huge. Having two would be unwieldy, and heavy, and delicate. The off-TV mode on Wii U for DS was perfectly comfortable, at times better than DS.

Do people forget that the Switch has more resolution top to bottom than both DS screens put together? You could stack them on the one screen and still have bigger, higher resolution viewports compared to DS and 3DS.

I wish there would be some way to get REDACTED to play DS and 3DS games. Especially for Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Many games could be played with side by side screens or touchscreen only in vertical.

There's also simple and cheap ways to use joycons with the tablet in portrait, like the flip grip or this foldable one:

That would be awesome, but would require a second screen which would increase the price by a lot.

reminds me of the Surface Duo 2 DS/3DS emu setups

Seems like a good time to launch a device using one of TSMC's 5nm processes. Not that this will have any effect on Nintendo's plans, as both the manufacturing process and launch window will have been decided a long time ago, but manufacturing capacity for the SoC shouldn't be a problem. TSMC's 5nm revenue is down about 27% from peak, which means they're either operating at around 70% capacity, or they've brought in significant price cuts on the process (given total wafer shipments have gone down pretty much in proportion to revenue, it seems like they aren't cutting prices and are instead running under capacity).

Demand for Nvidia's H100 (and to a lesser extend AMD's MI300X) will eat into this a bit, but they're more constrained by advanced packaging techniques and HBM than by wafer capacity. At the same time, Apple have started moving over to 3nm, which presumably they'll start seeing revenue for next quarter. They've stated they expect 3nm to account for "mid single digit" percent of revenue for the year, so around 10% for H2, which seems like it will come almost exclusively from Apple migrating away from 5nm.

I... Can't say I agree in the slightest?

The Switch screen is huge. Having two would be unwieldy, and heavy, and delicate. The off-TV mode on Wii U for DS was perfectly comfortable, at times better than DS.

Do people forget that the Switch has more resolution top to bottom than both DS screens put together? You could stack them on the one screen and still have bigger, higher resolution viewports compared to DS and 3DS.
What about physical size?

That docking animation is pretty cute, but it takes way too long and might get annoying soon.

Also, Nintendo wouldn't prolly make a dock where the system can get knocked out/off from so easily.

Seems like a good time to launch a device using one of TSMC's 5nm processes. […]

Demand for Nvidia's H100 (and to a lesser extend AMD's MI300X) will eat into this a bit, but they're more constrained by advanced packaging techniques and HBM than by wafer capacity. At the same time, Apple have started moving over to 3nm, which presumably they'll start seeing revenue for next quarter. They've stated they expect 3nm to account for "mid single digit" percent of revenue for the year, so around 10% for H2, which seems like it will come almost exclusively from Apple migrating away from 5nm.
Apple also did use a second generation of 5nm-TSMC before switching to 4nm. One of these would be a good node for the Switch NG. Could be a nice update in 2026 simply shrinking to 3nm without using GAA-transistors and releasing the Switch NG Lite.

Apple will switch their top-line of SoCs this year to 3nm, next year more SoCs and the M-Series for computers will follow. These should be the production lines for a mobile chip like T239, more than the lines which are in use for the big GPUs for desktop/server.

In my opinion the demand for GPUs for AI from Nvidia will be lower next year when Switch NG goes into mass production, especially if we are talking about a release for the last quarter of the year.

Yes, that's the most wanted feature for the switch, removing the seamless transition when docking! Good thing Nintendo never used the transition in the original switch on it's ads, so everyone will forget it had it and enjoy an animation every time they switch their switch modes.
Maybe it will also have an animation whenever someone switches from handheld to tabletop mode as well.

pretty from a design perspective, but bad from a usability perspective. it removes two things that are great about switch's docked mode: speed of the transition and diverts all power to the SoC. having the screen on is a needless power draw
Needless power draw, reducing lifetime of display, burn-in if OLED and last but not least more heat to dissipate.

GODDDDD I love a lotta ideas for the Switch 2, but I always loved the idea of just a high powered Dual-Switch (DS) Model. I made a rough Idea concept for it, might as well show it here since I don't see why not lol.

1c2.gif

Oh please god, no. Takes forever. Im fine with the secondary screen for fun addition data, but nothing game crucial (-> not available in handheld mode + have to put the dock somewhere where its visible and close enough (the last part will be hard in many living rooms in the us i feel)

pretty from a design perspective, but bad from a usability perspective. it removes two things that are great about switch's docked mode: speed of the transition and diverts all power to the SoC. having the screen on is a needless power draw
This describes most aspects of this concept.

What about physical size?
The OG 3DS (and 2DS) top screen is 3.02" wide. I couldn't find for the Switch, but... A 16:9 screen which is 3.02" tall would be 5.37" wide and thus have a 6.16" diagonal. OG Switch has a 6.2" diagonal.

The New 3DS has a 3.88" diagonal (up from 3.53" on OG), so it would take a 6.81" screen to match it in physical size. OLED is 7".

As for the 4.88" XL models, it would take a 8.51" diagonal to match the XLs on physical size.

width to match OG/2DS = 3.02 * 16/9 = 5.37
diagonal to match OG/2DS = √(3.02^2 + 5.37^2) = 6.16
diagonal to match N3DS = 6.16 * 3.88 / 3.53 = 6.81
diagonal to match XL models = 6.16 * 4.88 / 3.53 = 8.51

Extra: DS games could be displayed physically bigger on a Switch Lite (5.5") than in XL models

width to match DSi XL screens and 3DS XL bottom screen = 2.52 * 16/9 = 4.48
diagonal to match DSi XL screens and 3DS XL bottom screen = √(2.52^2 + 4.48^2) = 5.14

Last edited:
Emulation of the DS is almost theoretically perfectly doable on the Switch. The DS screens were each 256x192 pixels so even the switch's 720p screen could display the DS screens in TATE mode, Side by Side, or even just vertically on the horizontal screen (assuming the resolution the switch's touch screen detection is accurate enough that a tiny section of the touchscreen can emulate all the different touch screen inputs of a DS touch screen). But the one big problem is that the switch lacks a built in microphone so it can't emulate the DS's microphone.

For 3DS the screen resolutions are 320x240 for the bottom screen and 800x240 for the top screen but in 2D mode it's 400x240 which means it also could display in TATE mode, Side by Side, or vertically on the horizontal screen, but in addition to lacking a microphone, the switch also lacks full color cameras, which would be required to emulate the 3DS's 480p cameras.

Because it doesnt make sense to announce „something Zelda happening“ with a Lego set regarding gaming.

A complete different category. And 99% of the people dont care about this Lego set or Lego in general so why should his sources or he himself report it then?

Grubb: “Hey, Marketing Person at NoA. How you doing?”

Source: “It’s tough! Trying to keep engagement up when you’re at the end of the gen is hard. Summer of Play is getting a good response but I’m having to travel for that and I’ve not seen my own bed in a month.”

Grubb: “That’s rough. Fall is looking alright for you? Any surprises?”

Source: “Obviously we’re going to do the direct, I’ve got translators booked for that but no idea what’s in it. But before that we’re probably going to drop Prime Echoes like I told you about before. Other than that, not much - were doing a Zelda thing but it’s not, like, Tears related at all - so no next gen announcement if that’s what you’re asking, lol”

Grubb: “I was trying to be subtle, haha. Alright man, I gotta run do the podcast. I’ll be in LA when summer of play swings through. In-n-Out?”

Source: “Absolutely”

I’m not saying it is the damn LEGO set, I’m just saying it could be literally anything. It's almost definitely not a game, because the fall slate is looking pretty good, so why drop a Zelda game within 6 months of Tears? Grubb told us he's got no idea what it is, so I think it's weird that folks would say Grubb would never report it if it were this or that.

Quoted by: LiC
vertical screen usage isn't going to be a serious consideration outside of a novelty. for games that used both screens for gameplay, it's just gonna take some getting used to

Square Enix actually attempted to take on this issue back on the wii with Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-echoes-of-time-20081210020948029-2676838.jpg

FAKE EDIT: I just remembered DS titles were on the Wii U and had a bunch of options including a vertical mode

Oh please god, no. Takes forever. Im fine with the secondary screen for fun addition data, but nothing game crucial (-> not available in handheld mode + have to put the dock somewhere where its visible and close enough (the last part will be hard in many living rooms in the us i feel)
There's your canary in the coal mine.
Mock-ups who think "wow cool, this is awesome" NEVER take into account general user experience let alone minimum viable product.

I mean I love me some Mario, but just because that's Nintendo's bread and butter doesn't mean that has to be the entire motif of their console let alone the UI. The KISS (Keep it Simple, Simon) rule exists for a reason.

I was suggesting something similar actually earlier. The SoC being phase 1 of the Switch 2’s design because it would set the standard for the overall form factor, ergonomics, cooling, the type of screen used, battery capacity, etc.

Which in an interesting twist does follow Nintendo’s own philosophy of developing games. Design the mechanics, and gameplay first, and then build a game around it.

I was suggesting something similar actually earlier. The SoC being phase 1 of the Switch 2’s design because it would set the standard for the overall form factor, ergonomics, cooling, the type of screen used, battery capacity, etc.

Which in an interesting twist does follow Nintendo’s own philosophy of developing games. Design the mechanics, and gameplay first, and then build a game around it.
we kinda saw that with the 3DS. they decided on the 3D screen but the chipset wasn't up to snuff. even then the 3D screen sucked too much performance

The SOC wouldn't have to be taped out for them to have very accurate figures of all those things.

I was thinking more about disagreements within Nintendo of form factor and featuresets, design changes, or delays in software.

Assuming Redacted launches in 2024, at what point did Nintendo decide that would be the year? Drake started development in 2019, far to early to know Switch would still be selling so well in 2023. I am skeptical that Nintendo decided on waiting till 2024 to release a successor back in 2019 when development began. So how far along did Nintendo go before deciding on a release window? If sales had started to taper off hard in 2021 could Nintendo have had Redacted ready for late 2022? There is an argument to be made that Nintendo did push back the release of their successor primarily for strategic reasons and Switch sales in 2021 would have bolstered confidence that Switch would thrive for a few more years and releasing a successor would cut the Switchs life short prematurely. So how many years in advance would Nintendo have had to decide 2024 was going to be the year? One? Two? Three? Im confident that it wasnt decided way back in 2019 when development began.

Last edited:
Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom