• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Anyone good with spanish ?

They used my Switch 2 concept as a thumbnail lol

They talking about a factory worker leaking new controller info

They say that starting this year the funcle factory started ordering more supplies for production, so they make the assumption that REDACTED already started production.
Apparently on MAY they started with trial production, they expect REDACTED announcement this year.

They also speculate about joycon reworks.

Not much relevant info.

I'm sorry, but I found the question of "why would they bother" or "what would they gain" kinda funny. I don't think being a TSA officer would prevent someone from liking videogames or being deeply into them to be aware of recent leaks. So, if the post was true, which I doubt, the answer to those questions would be: "they just like videogames and are into the latest info".
True, but wouldn't leaking this stuff be a bad move, especially if it tracks back to them?

July Switch 2 Reveal
September Switch 2 Presentation + Direct ( 1 year launch line up reveal + MP4 Reveal for H124)
Nov Switch 2 Launch with 1 unannounced big game

#Team2023 will win

genki-dama-dragon-ball.gif

July Switch 2 Reveal
September Switch 2 Presentation + Direct ( 1 year launch line up reveal + MP4 Reveal for H124)

#Team2023 will win

I think you're crazy, but what the hell. TAKE MY ENERGY!!!!!

I'm still shaky on H1 2024, as I'm not sure when would be the right time to announce Redrakted NG. Maybe the Game Awards, since Nintendo will have likely reached their hardware forecast by then? That timeframe just seems too risky with not enough benefits compared to before the Switch.

I have been pondering how they would handle this as well. I too have felt like a 1H 2024 release would make the announcement timing difficult because it would likely undermine the success of Switch for the remaining of the fiscal year. After all, Nintendo's projections are pretty "optimistic" for a console in its seventh year on the market. We had a solid lineup of games announced in the previous Direct and will likely get a few more surprises at the September Direct, so it really does feel like they are still pushing Switch hard.

I have considered a reasons why a Redacted announcement in the next few months may not have a significant impact on Switch sales. One reason being Nintendo anticipated a large surge in Switch sales surrounding the release of Zelda TotK resulting in Q1-Q2 selling significantly more units during the first two quarter than they would have forecasted otherwise. Possibly selling half of the fiscal year projection in the first two quarters and this is absolutely not something that would typically happen. I have also looked at the sales of the PS4 in 2019 which still sold a respectable 13.5 million units even though the public had been made aware the PS5 was coming in 2020. Even though people like us are very aware of when new consoles are coming out, for the consumer purchasing a console in its seventh year on the market, this is probably not something they keep up with. Nintendo could also give consumers a lot of reassurance that purchasing a Switch in 2023 is still a good proposition because Redacted will be completely backwards compatible and your Nintendo account with your digital library transfers over seamlessly. So would announcing Redacted this year negatively effect Switch sales? Probably, but perhaps not as significantly as I would have previously thought.

I leave open the possibility for a July or August announcement this year for a 1H 2024 release. Technically I haven't completely written off late 2023, but with each passing day I find it less and less likely. Maybe Nintendo does the announcement in advance of Gamescom and then shows up with Metroid Prime 4 on Redacted. Literally shows nothing else. Prime 4 is the premier launch game for an April 2024 release. This goes over well with the hardcore early adopters and then roll out the next Mario Kart a few months later with 3D Mario set for holiday 2024.

Just because they haven't done so before, doesn't mean they won't do it at all. If Nintendo wants to control the narrative as best they can, TGA provides a great opportunity to do so.
TGA is a pretty bad place to control the narrative, because it is Geoff Keighley's show, not Nintendo's. Nintendo won't control what comes before them, won't control what comes after them, and won't get to put together a slick, preproduced package without Keighley inserting himself on stage.

When Nintendo announces their next console the only story will be that Nintendo announced their next console.

I leave open the possibility for a July or August announcement this year for a 1H 2024 release. Technically I haven't completely written off late 2023, but with each passing day I find it less and less likely. Maybe Nintendo does the announcement in advance of Gamescom and then shows up with Metroid Prime 4 on Redacted. Literally shows nothing else. Prime 4 is the premier launch game for an April 2024 release. This goes over well with the hardcore early adopters and then roll out the next Mario Kart a few months later with 3D Mario set for holiday 2024.

July/August for H1 2024 = Impossible, max 5 months between reveal and release, like previous Switch models and the original one

If July/August that's for this fall
if that's October reveal then that's for Q1 2024 (but that would cannibalize Switch 1 Christmas sales so doesn't make sense to me)

Xbox 360. PS360 were dragged out excessively long, to the point where it was really causing problems.

Also GB, but Nintendo definitely was trying to replace it earlier than they did.

Also, the Famicom was actually multiple years old before it released internationally as the NES. Wasn't quite 8 years between that and the Super Famicom, but it got close.
That’s not the norm though, those are exceptions. Consoles have averaged between 6-7 years not 8+ years like David wants.

That’s not the norm though, those are exceptions. Consoles have averaged between 6-7 years not 8+ years like David wants.
I think that's what they were getting at. One could also argue that the PS4 and Xbone were exceptions. Their specs were far behind what PCs were capable of back then, thus leading to their upgraded models a few years later. Iirc, the PS5 and the Series X are adequate enough where a mid-gen refresh would be unnecessary.

Also, who's David?

I think that's what they were getting at. One could also argue that the PS4 and Xbone were exceptions. Their specs were far behind what PCs were capable of back then, thus leading to their upgraded models a few years later. Iirc, the PS5 and the Series X are adequate enough where a mid-gen refresh would be unnecessary.
The consoles lasted 7 years, they were right on time. 2013-2020.

Let’s do a rundown of “the time consoles lasted “ since people for some reason think 8 years is the norm:

NES (or famicom) to SNES (or Super Famicom) was 7 years from initial for both.

PS1 to PS2 was 6 years.

SNES to N64 was 6 years

N64 to GCN was 5 years

PS2 to PS3 was 6 years.

OG XBox to 360 was 4 years.

GCN to Wii was 5 years.

PS3 to PS4 was 7 years

360 to XBox One was 8 years

Wii to Wii U was 6 years

DS to 3DS was 6 years

GB/C to GBA was 12 years (my god)

GBA to DS was ~3-4 years

PSP to PSVita was 7 years

Wii U to Switch was 4.5 years

3DS to Switch(???) was 6 years, unless you want to be pedantic and use the Lite as a “gotcha!” which would make it 8 years.

PS4 to PS5 was 7 years

XB1 to XBSeries was 7 years.

SEGA flops:

SG-1000 to Master System I don’t even know if it counts; but 2 years. I won’t count it.

The SEGA Mega Drive or Genesis was 3 years, but again SEGA and mismanagement at the time, name a more iconic duo.

SEGA Saturn is the successor to the last one, lasted 6 years (finally)

And the Dreamcast was 4 years (unfortunate flop, had potential!)

But I’m not counting these. And I’m hesitant to even include the OGXB to 360, the Wii U to Switch, the GBA to DS or the whole GB/C because those are exceptions and anomalies. But I’ll leave it here for data purposes.

Also, who's David?
Sorry, dave

Last edited:

Kit brought up some good points for releasing NG before the Holidays. While I personally see it coming out September of next year, perhaps a Summer release could be more beneficial in the long run. It ultimately depends on how much stock Nintendo will have before the Holidays, as there's sure to be some supply and demand issues.

Will the Switch have PS4 power? DF covers this at 01:10:19

pc handhelds have to deal with games not being built specifically for that hardware. but the question is can building for static hardware overcome the power differences?

as an example, here's Horizon running at PS4 settings at 800p at frame rates over 30fps. the PS4 version proper is 1080p. the SoC is using 12W to reach that and that's pretty much a docked power draw. how much could a bespoke build use?

I’m Dave
hi david-kun

Kit brought up some good points for releasing NG before the Holidays. While I personally see it coming out September of next year, perhaps a Summer release could be more beneficial in the long run. It ultimately depends on how much stock Nintendo will have before the Holidays, as there's sure to be some supply and demand issues.

“i don’t think there’s going to be a june direct this year” - kit & krysta (paraphrased)

nintendo announces a june direct.

these guys don’t really know anything and are just speculating like the rest of us.

pc handhelds have to deal with games not being built specifically for that hardware. but the question is can building for static hardware overcome the power differences?

as an example, here's Horizon running at PS4 settings at 800p at frame rates over 30fps. the PS4 version proper is 1080p. the SoC is using 12W to reach that and that's pretty much a docked power draw. how much could a bespoke build use

The thread has been over this a million times, but SD is not built for power efficiency. Drake definitely seems to be.

There's of course x86 vs arm, but there's also 8CUs clocked very high on SD, vs 12SM clocked much more conservative on Drake, which is the far more power efficient setup. Especially if it also has the node advantage, Drake will be a far more power efficient chip.

Edit: as for your question about bespoke code vs rosetta, I don't know how to quantify it, but it would probably matter a lot.

Last edited:
Just because they haven't done so before, doesn't mean they won't do it at all. If Nintendo wants to control the narrative as best they can, TGA provides a great opportunity to do so.
Why would they bother trying to slot it somewhere in Keighley's show when they can get as much attention, as well as complete control, revealing it at their own event? The PS5 reveal presentation was watched live by 7 million people and general Nintendo directs are events unto themselves in the gaming sphere. On the otherhand I didn't even know about the Series X until a few days after it was revealed because I don't watch the Game Awards.

so is this the longest nintendo have gone without releasing a successor/next version of a console?
not yet according to Thraktor's chart:

Switch just passed a small milestone last week, being on the market for longer without a successor than the DS. Now only the Famicom and original Game Boy can claim longer lifespans. The ranking of "age without a successor" is currently:

Code:
GB         3,470d
Famicom    2,686d
Switch     2,295d
DS         2,288d
3DS        2,197d
Wii        2,191d
SNES       2,041d
N64        1,909d
GC         1,892d
Wii U      1,566d
GBA        1,341d
GBC          882d

If you want to include the GBC in the Game Boy's lifespan, it comes to 4,352d, and if you want to count the NES separately from the Famicom (as it came out several years later in the west), it was around for 1,860d before the SNES launched.

baseline PS4/XboxOne with a better CPU, DLSS and better loading is honestly the best way to envision the future device without setting yourself for unnecessary disappointment. It's fun to discuss best case scenario but people tend to get overexcited without envisioning the possible heating/battery issues that Nintendo would take seriously.

Last edited:
if Nintendo ditched Nvidia, they'd go reference ARM. X# cpu cluster and the largest Immortalis they can get
That's the real world definition of "I can fix her" hahaha
The thread has been over this a million times, but SD is not built for power efficiency. Drake definitely seems to be.

There's of course x86 vs arm, but there's also 8CUs clocked very high on SD, vs 12SM clocked much more conservative on Drake, which is the far more power efficient setup. Especially if it also has the node advantage, Drake will be a far more power efficient chip.
SD Aerith is definitely tuned for power efficiency. The clocks of both CPU and GPU are literally at the best perf/W efficiency point. There's a reason why Aerith still is competitive/blow out of the water these new Z1 SoCs that are built on N4 at lower power targets.

I know a common point is if announcing the next system this year will harm Switch sales for this holiday, but is there a chance that may be offset by an already planned first price cut for the switch and maybe Nintendo took that into account?

That's the real world definition of "I can fix her" hahaha
I'm still mad there's no reference design that's all X-cores and their biggest gpu. it would make for an interesting laptop at least

Edit: as for your question about bespoke code vs rosetta, I don't know how to quantify it, but it would probably matter a lot.
the point is what kind of gains are to be had. we know there will be some, but are we talking the kind of gains where a 7W Drake can match a 15W Van Gogh? maybe, but there's just not way to even test this, even via proxies

Well, going 12 slower clocked SMs that have more cores per SM can give you the paper specs of 18 CUs with less cores that is clocked higher.

And Steam deck is less CUs and less cores and clocked way higher than both would ever be. So the power curve goes up a lot.

I think the best example of this is a console that’s currently on the market, the XBox series X and the PS5. Microsoft opted for two things with this system, a wider design and lower clocks. They achieved as a result a system that’s quieter, can be cooler and can draw less than the slightly less performant system.

Sony opted for a system that is clocked higher, but is narrower than the Series X. As a result they needed to accommodate that with adequate cooling and even used more luxurious cooling that can leave the system more vulnerable if the Liquid Metal in the PS5 spills.

Sony’s reason was focused on the cache scrubbers from their presentations which is their own thing and not used in RDNA of any kind. A faster GPU has faster cache and faster scrubbing so continuous data is streamed for the system and improve its performance as best as they could.

Microsoft has a faster (split) memory on the other hand because they went wider, faster than the PS5’s peak 448GB/s vs the XBox Series X 560GB/s.

Microsoft of course went with a tower design for their console (it also feels very dense in hand), while the PS5 has that super big chamber for the cooling. The whole system is a result of what Sony can deliver, and if they felt that they needed a large chamber to cool the whole device that’s what you got. Oh and they have that soldered SSD that gets incredibly hot. But said SSD is also, that’s right, really fast.

As I’ve mentioned before, PS4 is seen as a pinnacle in performance for a portable device for the very wide market from what I can tell from the casuals and the hardcore, I haven’t seen the video clip but I’m assuming they are looking at the ROG Ally or the Steam Deck for a point of comparison. No one really cares about above that, so you are in the realm of diminishing returns. Partly because developers were able to do magical things with the PS4 and it looked adequate or exceptional to many. To many, the PS4 is their peak, and anything after is seen as a medium level of improvement.

And yes it is true that Nintendo will aim for efficiency within a 15W power envelope, because they have to appeal to the wider market. However, I don’t think it needs to be said because it’s obvious but while DF are generally favored with their technical analysis; they are not omniscient or are correct on every thing, and sometimes have pushed ideas or comments that don’t make sense contextually, have backtracked, or use their own bias to come to the conclusions rather than awaiting for the final tally of all of the numbers.

If Nintendo can achieve their goal of being very efficient and it so happens that they are able to achieve PS4-like performance in portable mode, all the better and they will take that. Why? Because they don’t lose anything by taking this. Their main goal is efficiency, if it aligns just fine they will take it. They aren’t going to intentionally diminish it to a lower performance target, because 1) it can be less efficient, and 2) they have nothing to gain by doing this.

The Tegra X1 in the switch was criticized by hardcore members of the gaming community because to them “Nintendo intentionally clocked the switch lower”, but the OG switch was only able to deliver 2H at the most extreme in terms of battery life. No one would like that. The Steam Deck is criticized right now because of the battery life it has that people focus on, that it can be as low as an hour and some change.

Let’s look at a different console for instance: the Series S consumes 74W as per Microsoft when active in gaming.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

But the Series S also has the same memory, and it also has an SSD. And it’s also clocked high for say, what a portable would be. And it’s also on 7nm. And also has to power a larger fan, etc. the 74W for what I assume is the whole system is pretty fine I think when you factor that it’s not 74W just for the SOC, it’s 74W for the whole device.

However this Reddit post seems to show that it can actually be lower than that

of course, Nintendo isn’t going to deliver something like that anyway.

But anyway, that’s enough from me for now.

Edit: added links

Last edited:
now that I think about it, it's time for 3DMark to introduce a mobile ray tracing benchmark now that the latest mobile gpus support it. either adapting port royal or speedway or, preferably, a new demo

If this is currently the case I am curious as to why this wouldn't be worthy of reporting? I would have to believe developers would be given some sort of guidance from Nintendo on why type of performance to expect. As we know, its not out of the norm for finalized dev kits to go out very late. We also know that NVN development software was created for PC that allows developers to create and port software with no physical dev kit for Switch. Bottom line is that if this is indeed going on, and I believe it is, then there should be general specs available to leak. There should be more and more documentation in the hands of developers by now and hopefully we can start to get a better drip feed of info to help bring more clarity to the situation.
This type of work can be done independent of being given any form of guidance.

I'm not saying there isn't any chatter of spec range or other details out there, either. The little I've heard this summer could all be accurate information on those topics but I don't have enough backing to have confidence in the info... at the moment.

Last edited:
Probably a dumb as hell question, but I don't recall anybody asking it sooooo... (I'm sure it came up at some point, but anyways) With all of the talk of BC (improving base switch games dyn. res. and framerates) are battery gains a thing we can expect from last-gen titles played on the succ? Or it doesn't work like that?

When they talk about the potential limitations of the Switch 2 are they saying "and that's why it can't quite be PS4/Steam-Deck performance" or am I mishearing it and it's just about why it can't reach ROG Ally performance? The latter would be expected but if they mean the former that's worrisome.

When they talk about the potential limitations of the Switch 2 are they saying "and that's why it can't quite be PS4/Steam-Deck performance" or am I mishearing it and it's just about why it can't reach ROG Ally performance? The latter would be expected but if they mean the former that's worrisome.
they're using the Steam Deck and Ally as to show the difficulties, but those are also pc with a ton of caveats. John also makes mention of building bespoke versions to overcome that (as opposed to the one-size-fits-all pc version), and they don't outright dismiss it, but say Nintendo will focus on getting good battery life before hitting performance numbers

in short, there's nothing worrying here. there's no insider information or anything

Probably a dumb as hell question, but I don't recall anybody asking it sooooo... (I'm sure it came up at some point, but anyways) With all of the talk of BC (improving base switch games dyn. res. and framerates) are battery gains a thing we can expect from last-gen titles played on the succ? Or it doesn't work like that?
It'll completely depend on the way they handle BC. If they decided to deactivate 10/12 SMs to run 2SMs at the base Switch frequency then you'd probably see fairly significant battery gains. But that may not be feasible with the BC solution they implement, they might be using all 12SMs at a lower frequency to run the compatibility layer, which may result in less battery life than Mariko.

Simple answer, we really have no idea, but theoretically there could be good battery life improvement for OG Switch games.

It doesn't work with any of the updated kits, yeah. Only SDEV. The latest kit, ADEV, only has USB.

EDEV, HDEV and ADEV all exclude the Wii Accessory Port, so I'd very much expect NG Switch's dev kit to do the same.
What I mean is even on SDEV
For sure none of the other kits work.. they don’t have the port like you said
I mean …at least I never got it to work on SDEV so maybe that’s just me… wrong settings maybe? Big SHRUG

Let’s do a rundown of “the time consoles lasted “ since people for some reason think 8 years is the norm:
It's easy to counter a misconstruing of a point. Longer times was suggested as the trend things are taking, not what was normally seen in in the past. The last few Sony/MS generations have been 7 or 8 years, and they've indicated this one will probably be 8 years too.

SD Aerith is definitely tuned for power efficiency. The clocks of both CPU and GPU are literally at the best perf/W efficiency point. There's a reason why Aerith still is competitive/blow out of the water these new Z1 SoCs that are built on N4 at lower power targets.
SD has variable clocks. At the lower end its probably quite efficient, but the higher end its definitely not.

Wait, really?
Busy day at work, but here you have and every not believer can see (remember switch made games that runs in FP16 can have up to 1.31 TF).

Xenoblade 3 Switch Oled 60 FPS Dock and Handheld FSR OFF:

Configuration

1080p its not that stable (specially without an Dynamic FPS Cheat) so I decided to better force 900p on dock so it is more stable at 60.
Dynamic FPS = Makes games that runs with doble buffer to not have big frames dips when it is not 30/40/50/60 frames

*Also if anyone can help to make the videos and images with previews here in Fami will be great. That way I can upload more games examples.

Last edited:
Nintendo said no price cut this FY

I do think this will hold true. There are other ways to increase value to consumers. Nintendo said no price cut but they could put together a bundle later this year for the holiday season that includes the Zelda OLED Edition, a digital copy of Zelda TotK and a Pro controller for $350 and it would sell very well. They could do a Switch Lite Pokemon bundle as well. Plenty of options that do not require lowering the price.

This type of work can be done independent of being given any form of guidance.

I'm not saying there isn't any chatter of spec range or other details out there, either. The little I've heard this summer could all be accurate information on those topics but I don't have enough backing to have confidence in the info... at the moment.

The question is why would they do that? They would be doing work for a product that they do not know the specs or when its planning to come out? I just cant see developers spending any considerable amount of time porting software for a machine that they know nothing about. Now the flip of that is as soon as Nintendo briefs them on ballpark performance, then it would make sense to start benchmarking their software on low spec PC's and looking for likely bottlenecks that will need to be optimized. I would just like to know if the current rumblings are suggesting performance more in line with PS4 or PS4 Pro. There has been endless speculation on what performance Drake will ultimately provide, and considering the power draw will likely be very similar to Switch, PS4 Pro performance may be a bit too optimistic. PS4 levels of performance with decent DLSS implementation would be a huge upgrade over the current Switch.

they're using the Steam Deck and Ally as to show the difficulties, but those are also pc with a ton of caveats. John also makes mention of building bespoke versions to overcome that (as opposed to the one-size-fits-all pc version), and they don't outright dismiss it, but say Nintendo will focus on getting good battery life before hitting performance numbers

in short, there's nothing worrying here. there's no insider information or anything
I thought that was a pretty poor analysis actually. You can’t just compare the potential Nintendo hardware with a portable PC platform and then say it won’t have the same performance while referring to wattage. That’s just dumb.

July Switch 2 Reveal

#Team2023 will win

sorry but team 2024 will win!
The way I win: Team FY24 (End of March 2023 to End of March 2024)

Furukawa's "Excluding any unannounced hardware" comment at the sales expectation meeting earlier is extremely suspect and indicates at least the intent to release new hardware this FY that doesn't fall under Switch (v2), SWOLED, or Switch Lite (otherwise it would just be aggregated into those if it were a colorway).

The way I win: Team FY24 (End of March 2023 to End of March 2024)

Furukawa's "Excluding any unannounced hardware" comment at the sales expectation meeting earlier is extremely suspect and indicates at least the intent to release new hardware this FY that doesn't fall under Switch (v2), SWOLED, or Switch Lite (otherwise it would just be aggregated into those if it were a colorway).
That wasn't what he said on the official translation.

PS4 levels of performance with decent DLSS implementation would be a huge upgrade over the current Switch.

Isn’t that the general expectation? I don’t think I’ve seen many people say the Switch 2 will be PS4 Pro level in terms of raw power. PS4 with a resolution upscaling boost would be fantastic.

Nintendo said no price cut but they could put together a bundle later this year for the holiday season that includes the Zelda OLED Edition, a digital copy of Zelda TotK and a Pro controller for $350 and it would sell very well. They could do a Switch Lite Pokemon bundle as well. Plenty of options that do not require lowering the price.
A day after Super Mario Odyssey's release, they released a special edition Switch bundle with a full download for the game.
Maybe they'll do the same for Super Mario Bros. Wonder this year. If the Mario movie's still relevant by October 20th, that could boost sales too.

DF either not reading the information about Drake or just being purposely ignorant
Based on the most likely numbers Thraktor mentioned, Portable mode would most likely easily keep up and surpass the PS4 when accounting for the CPU being astronomically better and DLSS.

Do they not think Nintendo will use 4N (due to them not knowing/acknowledging how big Drake is?)

I do think this will hold true. There are other ways to increase value to consumers. Nintendo said no price cut but they could put together a bundle later this year for the holiday season that includes the Zelda OLED Edition, a digital copy of Zelda TotK and a Pro controller for $350 and it would sell very well. They could do a Switch Lite Pokemon bundle as well. Plenty of options that do not require lowering the price.

The question is why would they do that? They would be doing work for a product that they do not know the specs or when its planning to come out? I just cant see developers spending any considerable amount of time porting software for a machine that they know nothing about. Now the flip of that is as soon as Nintendo briefs them on ballpark performance, then it would make sense to start benchmarking their software on low spec PC's and looking for likely bottlenecks that will need to be optimized. I would just like to know if the current rumblings are suggesting performance more in line with PS4 or PS4 Pro. There has been endless speculation on what performance Drake will ultimately provide, and considering the power draw will likely be very similar to Switch, PS4 Pro performance may be a bit too optimistic. PS4 levels of performance with decent DLSS implementation would be a huge upgrade over the current Switch.
Just getting a game up and running doesn’t take final hardware

Edit: looks like you said as much feel free to ignore my response haha

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom