• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Also the long history of Mario being a launch game (NES, SNES, N64, and Gameboy) or 1st year game (Gamecube, Wii, WiiU, Switch) for consoles because the series has historically been used to show off the technical capabilities of the new console.
The pedant in me strikes! The bolded is technically true; yes, for us getting the NES, Mario was indeed a launch game. But that's a historical quirk born from the years between the Famicom and NES launches. Of course, SMB came out after the Famicom's 2nd birthday. IIRC from either Jeremy Parish's and/or Gaming Historian's videos, Donkey Kong's the big launch/showpiece for the Famicom, as after all, its intent was to be the home Donkey Kong machine. SMB was designed to be the pinnacle of the original capabilities of the Famicom (ie, before the MMC chips came about).

The pedant in me strikes! The bolded is technically true; yes, for us getting the NES, Mario was indeed a launch game. But that's a historical quirk born from the years between the Famicom and NES launches. Of course, SMB came out after the Famicom's 2nd birthday. IIRC from either Jeremy Parish's and/or Gaming Historian's videos, Donkey Kong's the big launch/showpiece for the Famicom, as after all, its intent was to be the home Donkey Kong machine. SMB was designed to be the pinnacle of the original capabilities of the Famicom (ie, before the MMC chips came about).
Are you arguing Donkey Kong 1 wasn't a Mario game?

If original Donkey Kong were to be a Mario game, would a new Donkey Kong be a Mario game?

(edit: If 'Mario is playable' -> 'it's a Mario game', is Alleyway now a Mario game? Or the 1984 Golf game, although whether that's actually Mario is debatable)

Last edited:

Some speculation from Grubb. Due to his nature as an insider this is probably informed speculation, but grain of salt and all that. I don't know if this is the case though, still setting a plan for the transition while 6.5 years in sounds maddening

EDIT: Clarification

I think this tweet can be read in many ways.

It's possible for Nintendo to have a plan or a roadmap while also waiting for certain games to line up for launch/launch window methinks.

The Switch was marketed superbly so it will be interesting to see how they plan on transitioning a lot of Switch owners over to the next generation of Switch.

I think this tweet can be read in many ways.

It's possible for Nintendo to have a plan or a roadmap while also waiting for certain games to line up for launch/launch window methinks.

The Switch was marketed superbly so it will be interesting to see how they plan on transitioning a lot of Switch owners over to the next generation of Switch.
Ive always said I was worried about this transition. Nintendo has a way of being their own worst enemy more than any other gaming company. Im always worried when it’s time for new hardware.

I can't believe they don't have plans. Software takes time, launch games have been planned and worked on for a long time.
Maybe delays can happen, and the date moved a bit, like 6 months or maybe a year, but saying that in year 7 they have no plans is kinda dumb (related to the grubb tweet)

Fwiw, you'd still have to wait until the majority of the Switch user base decides to upgrade, so a cross-gen period, however long it ends up being, would still be necessary. Though I do wonder if Nintendo and third-parties will have enough to support those stragglers for a while after Drake's launch. I do agree that we're getting further away from that ideal transition period. Next year, imo, is their last chance to have that smooth transition.
I think holiday launch will already be late for that transition. Latest in my book would be spring, have a full year of BC. Just thinking that Pokémon has to support switch for another generation, not just remakes... Shiver

Or they will support is with stuff like sports, animal crossing, and just have fancier effects with those games on drake... But then the value for it falls flat for a huge chunk of their audience.

I'm really curious how they handle it

I can't believe they don't have plans. Software takes time, launch games have been planned and worked on for a long time.
Maybe delays can happen, and the date moved a bit, like 6 months or maybe a year, but saying that in year 7 they have no plans is kinda dumb (related to the grubb tweet)
Could also mean that the plan they had 2 years ago doesn't work anymore and they are still reorganising.

They started there transition planing in earnest probably right around the time the pandemic started. Then there was the pandemic, then the chip shortage, now the high inflation, and to all that the switch kept selling probably better then they even expected.

Could see them deciding a year ago to make big changes to their plans , like reworking the hardware, releasing games that where planed for the cross gen period only on switch for now with a patch later, ...

All this does not mean no plans, just maybe more in flux then it would usually be this late into the game.

It helps that even if the switch is getting old, the jump is not as big as it was from the Wii (sd- hd)

Another theory (for a fall 2023 launch) that would make more sense than Metroid Prime 4 for Switch 2 launch line up is:

July 2023:
  • Switch 2 announced
  • Switch 1 Famicom 40th Anniversary Edition (That would reassure Switch 1 owners that the Switch 1 isn’t dead)
  • New DK Game announced (40th anniversary since the first Famicom game)

Regarding the Switch 1 Famicom, I’ve read reports on Chinese forums that a very ugly colorful colorway of the Switch 1 was on supply chain recently (this hasn’t been discussed anywhere just seen a Spanish video reporting about it)

This way in fall we would have 2 Mario Games and 1 DK Game. They need a DK game out for the DK Park Extension in Osaka next year

Another theory (for a fall 2023 launch) that would make more sense than Metroid Prime 4 for Switch 2 launch line up is:

July 2023:
  • Switch 2 announced
  • Switch 1 Famicom 40th Anniversary Edition (That would reassure Switch 1 owners that the Switch 1 isn’t dead)

Regarding the Switch 1 Famicom, I’ve read reports on Chinese forums that a very ugly colorful colorway of the Switch 1 was on supply chain recently (this hasn’t been discussed anywhere just seen a Spanish video reporting about it)

This way in fall we would have 2 Mario Games and 1 DK Game. They need a DK game out for the DK Park Extension in Osaka next year
the fall is completely full. there are no rumors. it's over.

July 2023:
  • Switch 2 announced

That’s not a theory, that’s just a list of potential events.

The ‘ugly hardware’ has been discussed here a few times before, mostly as a new console, not as a new edition so that’s at least an interesting interpretation. Could that have been the ZOLED perhaps? It’s certainly an acquired taste.

There are rumors. There was no leak for OLED and Lite so Nintendo knows how to keep shit tight

Both of those consoles were leaked extensively before reveal. Granted the OLED leaks were hyped up to be a pro/something else.

Yeah ? Can you source please
I think they're referring to Nintendo being revealed to be ordering OLED panels, and Aula (OLED's codename) being in the Switch's firmware before the OLED even released.

although in my opinion neither of these leaks are guaranteed to happen for the Switch 2 under the right conditions, which is why I still believe in a 2023 release.

I think they're referring to Nintendo being revealed to be ordering OLED panels, and Aula (OLED's codename) being in the Switch's firmware before the OLED even released.

although in my opinion neither of these leaks are guaranteed to happen for the Switch 2 under the right conditions, which is why I still believe in a 2023 release.
Yea and the article about Igzo panels.
I still believe v2 and lite are using Igzo panels, as far as I know its never been disproved.

Thank you, that's my point, what I'm referring to is there someone that leaked accurately that the Switch Lite would be revealed in July and Oled and July too, with dates and models correct, if it didn't happen (like our current situation) it's because Nintendo as a business knows how to keep their stuff tight (thankfully)

Last edited:
Thank you, that's my point, I'm referring to someone that leaked that the Switch Lite would be released in July and Oled and July too, with dates and models correct, if it didn't happen (like our current situation) it's because Nintendo as a business knows how to keep their stuff tight (thankfully)
Well if Nintendo
  1. Doesn't add the Switch 2's codename to the firmware of the current models
  2. Uses the exact same panel as the OLED
  3. Doesn't get the new model's backplate leaked (like the OLED didn't)
then I can see how things would be more secure leak-wise.

Well if Nintendo
  1. Doesn't add the Switch 2's codename to the firmware of the current models
  2. Uses the exact same panel as the OLED
  3. Doesn't get the new model's backplate leaked (like the OLED didn't)
then I can see how things would be more secure leak-wise.

Good to know that Nintendo can and will surprise us as usual, I wouldn't relate on journalists leaking information too much, speculation sells (and if they know more about what they write they usually have a non disclosure agreement in place)

I strongly believe that the most accurate piece of content about our rollout situation is this one

I strongly believe that the most accurate piece of content about our rollout situation is this one

I think I somewhat agree. People who are buying the Switch now, are not interested in the next big console, so I don‘t think that announcing this year the Switch 2 will have a huge impact on current Switch sales. Especially if they‘d drop the price starting this autumn. I‘m still not sure if that would mean that we would see the new console really already in spring 2024, though I think it will come in Summer 2024 at the latest.

I don‘t see them start talking about that console within less than half a year, so it seems very likely that we hear something summer to autumn this year. Especially because they need some time to make clear the benefits for the transition. For both users that want to keep playing on the existing platform and for those who would switch to the new one.

Literally what would be the benefit of Nintendo announcing all these games without showing their Switch 2 versions at reveal.

What is the benefit of not announcing the Switch 2 5 months before release.

It's not happening.

Literally what would be the benefit of Nintendo announcing all these games without showing their Switch 2 versions at reveal.

What is the benefit of not announcing the Switch 2 5 months before release.

It's not happening.

"This week's Nintendo Direct was no exception, giving us clarity on a lot of the release schedule for Switch in the coming year or so.

That transparency can only go so far, though, and the challenge for Nintendo Direct's format right now is the same as the challenge for Nintendo more broadly – how do you communicate with players about the software pipeline when, behind the scenes, more and more of that pipeline is being diverted towards a console you haven't started talking about yet?

To be clear, Nintendo finds itself with a very high-quality problem here. It's just launched Tears of the Kingdom to commercial success and rave reviews – the game is selling gangbusters and will be one of the most-played and most-discussed games of 2023. The company couldn't have hoped for a bigger exclusive title to keep the Switch afloat through what is likely its last major year on the market.

We'll see what the company has planned sooner rather than later, you'd imagine. With TotK safely out the door and no risk of sales cannibalisation remaining, Nintendo will probably start talking about its new hardware over the summer, or by autumn at the latest.

Talking about new hardware, though, is easy. Talking about what that's doing to your software pipeline – that's hard. The catch, of course, is that the original Switch is still doing very well – and that there are tens of millions of consumers who just bought the hardware in the past couple of years, so for them, it's a pretty new platform.

Handling these transitions is always a major challenge for a platform holder – you want people excited about a new platform, but you also don't want to leave your existing installed base feeling abandoned, or make relatively new owners feel like they just paid good money for something that's already obsolete. The complexity of managing that balance is compounded by the scarcity of development resources; every resource that goes into creating software for the existing platform is a resource that's not building software for the new system you're going to be trying to sell in a few short months.

Nintendo's strategy for squaring that circle – at least in the coming months, with early details of the Switch's eventual replacement likely to appear before the end of the year – seems to rest very heavily on remakes and re-releases, not just of its own titles but also of back catalogue titles from across the industry."

TLDR
The recent Nintendo Direct shed light on the Switch's 1 upcoming releases, but the challenge lies in discussing future titles amidst launch of a new console. Nintendo's current situation is favorable due to the successful launch of TOTK, which is supporting the Switch in its likely final major year. Nintendo may start discussing the new hardware in the summer or by the fall. The challenge is ensuring existing Switch 1 users, especially those who recently purchased the console, don't feel abandoned or that their device is becoming obsolete. Nintendo's current Switch 1 strategy appears to focus on remakes and re-releases of titles in the industry

"This week's Nintendo Direct was no exception, giving us clarity on a lot of the release schedule for Switch in the coming year or so.

That transparency can only go so far, though, and the challenge for Nintendo Direct's format right now is the same as the challenge for Nintendo more broadly – how do you communicate with players about the software pipeline when, behind the scenes, more and more of that pipeline is being diverted towards a console you haven't started talking about yet?

To be clear, Nintendo finds itself with a very high-quality problem here. It's just launched Tears of the Kingdom to commercial success and rave reviews – the game is selling gangbusters and will be one of the most-played and most-discussed games of 2023. The company couldn't have hoped for a bigger exclusive title to keep the Switch afloat through what is likely its last major year on the market.

We'll see what the company has planned sooner rather than later, you'd imagine. With TotK safely out the door and no risk of sales cannibalisation remaining, Nintendo will probably start talking about its new hardware over the summer, or by autumn at the latest.

Talking about new hardware, though, is easy. Talking about what that's doing to your software pipeline – that's hard. The catch, of course, is that the original Switch is still doing very well – and that there are tens of millions of consumers who just bought the hardware in the past couple of years, so for them, it's a pretty new platform.

Handling these transitions is always a major challenge for a platform holder – you want people excited about a new platform, but you also don't want to leave your existing installed base feeling abandoned, or make relatively new owners feel like they just paid good money for something that's already obsolete. The complexity of managing that balance is compounded by the scarcity of development resources; every resource that goes into creating software for the existing platform is a resource that's not building software for the new system you're going to be trying to sell in a few short months.

Nintendo's strategy for squaring that circle – at least in the coming months, with early details of the Switch's eventual replacement likely to appear before the end of the year – seems to rest very heavily on remakes and re-releases, not just of its own titles but also of back catalogue titles from across the industry."

TLDR
The recent Nintendo Direct shed light on the Switch's 1 upcoming releases, but the challenge lies in discussing future titles amidst launch of a new console. Nintendo's current situation is favorable due to the successful launch of TOTK, which is supporting the Switch in its likely final major year. Nintendo may start discussing the new hardware in the summer or by the fall. The challenge is ensuring existing Switch 1 users, especially those who recently purchased the console, don't feel abandoned or that their device is becoming obsolete. Nintendo's current Switch 1 strategy appears to focus on remakes and re-releases of titles in the industry
I mean, I don’t want to come across as mean but this is confirmation bias. You’ve found an article which says what you want to happen. I’m not saying that it’s impossible by any means, but we all have the same evidence presented to us and all come to different conclusions.

The guy who wrote that article has no more or less information than most people here.

that article is invalidated when they don't even mention Mario Wonder, almost like trying to remove any elements that doesn't quite fit the narrative they built up in their head.

The fall is full. They just did a direct to fill out their switch lineup with Mario wonder leading the way. No Switch 2 is coming this year.

Mario RPG Remake and a 2D Mario Platformer doesn't scream full to me, but we will see,

I mean, I don’t want to come across as mean but this is confirmation bias. You’ve found an article which says what you want to happen. I’m not saying that it’s impossible by any means, but we all have the same evidence presented to us and all come to different conclusions.

The guy who wrote that article has no more or less information than most people here.

Don't worry we are just debating, no one is being mean, too bad some people get offended at others speculating and discussing when this is a speculation and discussion thread

I just rather trust a video game journalist with ties in the video game industry in japan than Youtube podcasters, to each their own

Mario RPG Remake and a 2D Mario Platformer doesn't scream full to me, but we will see,
Do you think they will add other titles to Mario Wonder and the Mario rpg remake?

Honestly, if we're talking about a possible Switch 2 release, it seems strange to me, I also believe that the next Direct (September maybe) will only serve to give more details about first-party and outline third-party releases (Level5 stuff for example).

I hope I'm wrong of course 😁

Do you think they will add other titles to Mario Wonder and the Mario rpg remake?

Honestly, if we're talking about a possible Switch 2 release, it seems strange to me, I also believe that the next Direct (September maybe) will only serve to give more details about first-party and outline third-party releases (Level5 stuff for example).

I think that if Switch 2 actually releases in Fall, they kept a secret game for the reveal, whether it's Donkey Kong or Metroid we will find out soon!

So, if Nintendo is still sitting on already completed Switch titles. Would it makes sense to release them for REDACTED? That way they have a good output with the first year. Of course they would release the original Switch version.

So, if Nintendo is still sitting on already completed Switch titles. Would it makes sense to release them for REDACTED? That way they have a good output with the first year. Of course they would release the original Switch version.

They would split the output between Switch 2 exclusives and Switch 1 cross gen titles, so no Switch family customer gets left behind

Nintendo will problaby detail that untitled Peach game they will release for Switch next year on the septembre Direct, and hopefully they will show a trailer for Metroid Prime 4.

I think that if Switch 2 actually releases in Fall, they kept a secret game for the reveal, whether it's Donkey Kong or Metroid we will find out soon!

So you think it will reveal one more title, which will still have to be compatible with Switch and those already announced will be improved on Switch 2. 🤔

Nintendo will problaby detail that untitled Peach game they will release for Switch next year on the septembre Direct, and hopefully they will show a trailer for Metroid Prime 4.
When I was talking about first-party details, I was referring to Mario Wonder, Mario rpg, Detective Pikachu 2 and Wario, but yes, it could also unveil new details about Peach, Luigi and Metroid.

Let's not forget nikkei, which remains one of the most reliable sources, said that things were progressing well and that it wouldn't show up before at least spring 24. Software is probably the biggest deciding factor, and things should be settled soon.

Let's not forget nikkei, which remains one of the most reliable sources, said that things were progressing well and that it wouldn't show up before at least spring 24. Software is probably the biggest deciding factor, and things should be settled soon.
If im remembering that article correctly didnt Nikkei say the earliest it will be ready to release is Spring 24?

if it’s so easy, then why do companies, including Nintendo, regularly fuck it up?
I have no idea. But haven’t they done well with NES>SNES
GB>GBC>GBA>NDS?

Ive always said I was worried about this transition. Nintendo has a way of being their own worst enemy more than any other gaming company. Im always worried when it’s time for new hardware.
I dont know. This is Shuntaro Furakawa’s first transition and full hardware: Switch 2. Seeing as how Furakawa didn’t launch the Switch. I think they have things under control, just that some fine details are taking time to tune in in order to finally have a solid launch date

This could be a Switch all over again: software lineup issues

July 2023:
  • Switch 2 announced

I doubt Nintendo would busy their supply chains with another themed Switch alongside their new hardware.

the fall is completely full. there are no rumors. it's over.
insert ItsJoever meme here

The Lite backplate leaked, and there was a lot of noise prior to the OLED announcement. (even the features of the new dock)
We also thought the OLED was the Pro model. There was a looot of rumbling for a Pro revision.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, leaks and rumors are still volatile and just because the schedule is full, doesn't mean that something else can't be revealed and released within that timeframe. I'm less confident in 2023, but let's not get carried away , now. I'm already seeing a bunch of absolutes being thrown around.

So it’ll be announced next month for you?
Why wouldn't it be?

Nintendo 3DS was planned for a June reveal for a holiday launch.

OLED Model and Lite were revealed in July for their Autumn launch.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary, and we know the SOC has been ready for more than long enough to make a holiday release this year possible.

Why wouldn't it be?

Nintendo 3DS was planned for a June reveal for a holiday launch.

OLED Model and Lite were revealed in July for their Autumn launch.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary, and we know the SOC has been ready for more than long enough to make a holiday release this year possible.
I’m just asking.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom