• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Funimation Merged With crunchyroll

ziggyrivers

thunder
Pronouns
He/him/his

—————

Discussion:

Eff corporations and the disproportionate focus on infinite growth, pleasing shareholders, ignoring break-even and the lack of social compromise.

They're lucky the government don't care to consider anime an industry bc Sony have been gobbling up everyone in sight and merging them all into Crunchyroll (also a streaming service the Sony Pictures CEO has mentioned is "the only profitable streaming service", so I fail to see any justification for a price rise beyond greed/monopoly)

I was gonna say "good riddance" to "RIP Funimation" because of the extremely toxic boys club it's been stated to be (with Chris Sabat apparently being both the worst of it and the facilitator of it) but then seeing what Crunchyroll did immediately after is... ugh...

No joke, just yesterday I was wondering if I aughta get a CR subscription and start getting back into anime but goddamn. 😩

also a streaming service the Sony Pictures CEO has mentioned is "the only profitable streaming service", so I fail to see any justification for a price rise beyond greed/monopoly)
Hopefully everyone unsubs, but part of subs revenue come from people that just forget their credit cards have that subscription automatically on.

That is a wild price increase.
One a lot of people will notice and decide to unsubscribe, hopefully

I was gonna say "good riddance" to "RIP Funimation" because of the extremely toxic boys club it's been stated to be (with Chris Sabat apparently being both the worst of it and the facilitator of it) but then seeing what Crunchyroll did immediately after is... ugh...

No joke, just yesterday I was wondering if I aughta get a CR subscription and start getting back into anime but goddamn. 😩
What is the context on the Chris Sabat claims? First time I've heard this. Not that I don't believe you, Funimation has been toxic for a long ass time.

What is the context on the Chris Sabat claims? First time I've heard this. Not that I don't believe you, Funimation has been toxic for a long ass time.
Around the time the Vic Mignogna stuff was circulating, other people who have worked with Funimation came out talking about their experiences. An image that kept coming up was that as Sabat raised in the ranks from just being a VA to actually having director power he tended to close the door behind him on VAs who didn't buddy up to him. They said to do well within Funimation and keep getting roles you had to suck up to Sabat, go out to party with him, joke around with him, or he'd just sorta freeze you out of the company. And then there's the leaked audio of Sabat and Sean Schemmel doing really offensive skits of their characters.

That plus the general accusations of Sabat being really inappropriate with his humor and stuff, pressuring female VAs to discuss their love lives with him, and that playing along with it seemed to be an unspoken requirement for keeping your job.

This merger has been a blight and should undone immediately. I cancelled my funimation sub after the merger was announced a couple years ago.

Again fuck crunchyroll. I will never subscribe and their death as a company would be a huge win for anime fans.

This is a good move for people outside the US. Funanimation and now hidive, buy exclusive rights for animes in the americas, but only provide services in the US and Canada. Everyone else has to pirate anime to access it. Crunchyroll at leats provides simulcast in our languages same time with everyone else. No region blocking, account sharing.

I don’t believe the cost of Crunchyroll itself is actually going up at least as of right now. This was for a Funimation subscriber being put into the equivalent tier. Believe it’s still $80 for the basic Crunchyroll tier.

...Why is Crunchyroll so expensive? 0_0
It’s $80 a year or straight up free with ads? That’s by far one of the cheaper streaming services at this point and you get a colossal back catalog of shows to watch.

I personally get way more value out of it than say Disney+ which barely drops a few exclusive shows a year at this point. Crunchyroll you get around 30 or so new shows every three months.

See this is why I haven't subbed to Crunchyroll yet and have fallen off of anime in the past several years. Choice anxiety is some shit. 😅
Haha I feel you. I was so wrapped up in games last season I ended up watching nothing (except Scott Pilgrim on Netflix) and now I’m trying to catch up, watch new shows, and tackle my backlog, and it’s like “um, how do I tackle this there’s so many choices.”

Haha I feel you. I was so wrapped up in games last season I ended up watching nothing (except Scott Pilgrim on Netflix) and now I’m trying to catch up, watch new shows, and tackle my backlog, and it’s like “um, how do I tackle this there’s so many choices.”
Yeah it used to be so easy when I could just check animenewsnetwork.com and see what the user-voted top three series of last year were and still mostly keep up with the zeitgeist but NOW there's a Kotaku article several times a year where they're all "Here are the anime series you should be watching this month" and it'll be like TWELVE SHOWS and I'll feel my astral form curl into the fetal position

If anyone needs some curated recommendations, as someone with a chronic case of seasonal anime watching (like 30+ anime per season) I can help with that lol

On topic, wary of Crunchyroll eating up Funimation, but mergers gonna merge...

Back
Top Bottom