• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion France: Totk has sold 500k copies in the first week (Physical only)

giphy.gif

The game feels like an event. I know of people who pretty much only play casual games and Mario talking about this game. Primarily because it's exploding all over tiktok lmao. It's like BOTW but there are 120M switches out there so it's an even bigger event. ToTK is bringing in people who normally wouldn't play a tentpole Zelda release.

They call it "Royale with Link" over there, you know.

(Does this pun work, French Fami? I haven't studied French in years)

Seriously though, flipping astounding.

There were news articles at the end of last year stating over 7 million Switches in France. If this French TOTK:Switch ratio were extrapolated to worldwide hardware shipments, it would be something like 9 million copies.

Yep this could blow every expectation out there

Stellar reviews
massive marketing campaign
Making rounds in social media, even outside of the gaming bubble

There were news articles at the end of last year stating over 7 million Switches in France. If this French TOTK:Switch ratio were extrapolated to worldwide hardware shipments, it would be something like 9 million copies.

Physical copies ;)

Then add another 25-30-35-40% digital or whatever and we're talking crazy numbers

Yeah, i'm thinking more than 30 million copies before the end of the fiscal year. This is insane.

I was waiting outside this small Fnac store in Lisbon (where i had the game preordered) on Friday until their opening time at 10am, then i got in, got the game and the coin... there were like five other people also waiting for the store to open, four got the game. Then i sat at a table at the same mall with my Switch to boot the game, there's the update. The mall had no wifi iirc, so i went to Fnac again to try to use theirs and update the game. I saw like six more people going in and coming out with the game. All of this happened in like 15 or 20 minutes

What was the biggest Switch game launch in France? Was it SV? Or did, say, ACNH launch with even higher numbers?

Those numbers are insane. The vouchers will also make this a popular digital game. I think the game must have sold close to 1 million already.

So it's already fast approaching a million sales in France alone...yeah I'm thinking this does 20 million worldwide first month.

It's crazy how big Zelda has got now. I mean it was was big sure but not this big.

Didn't BOTW have an attach rate that was HIGHER than amount of Switches initially? Imagine launching the super version of it into the market when there are millions Switches!

Big event in the gaming scene so makes sense. Just to give an example, I'm subscribed to the NYTs "The Morning" daily email newsletter, and the one on Saturday was dedicated to Zelda. First time I see them doing this for a videogame

What was the biggest Switch game launch in France? Was it SV? Or did, say, ACNH launch with even higher numbers?
Switch was Scarlet and Violet with 360k
Overall Nintendo was Sun and Moon with 425k

Needless to say that when you factor in digital SV is higher

Didn't BOTW have an attach rate that was HIGHER than amount of Switches initially? Imagine launching the super version of it into the market when there are millions Switches!

Shipments first quarter was 2740K Switches and 2760K Botw, so ever so so slightly yes :>

Is it weird I think this will be frontloaded (a HEAVY frontload none the less) and still sell less then BOTW by the time they stop counting

Is it weird I think this will be frontloaded (a HEAVY frontload none the less) and still sell less then BOTW by the time they stop counting
It's almost certainly a given that it will sell less than BOTW. That has had 6+ years to steadily get to 30 million sales. TOTK won't have that luxury. Also sequels on the same console pretty much always sell less than the original because that's just generally what happens.

TOTK getting to around about 75% of what BOTW has managed (so between 20-25 million) would be a phenomenal achievement, and based on early indications it could get there.

Also sequels on the same console pretty much always sell less than the original because that's just generally what happens.
Not that I disagree with your point as a whole but this sentence is basically "sequels on the same console sell less because sequels on the same console sell less"

Not that I disagree with your point as a whole but this sentence is basically "sequels on the same console sell less because sequels on the same console sell less"
Which was my point. It's very rare for a sequel game to outsell the original when both release on the same console. Maybe I wrote it clumsily because it's 7 in the morning here

Which was my point. It's very rare for a sequel game to outsell the original when both release on the same console. Maybe I wrote it clumsily because it's 7 in the morning here
What you wrote is circular reasoning. That something is true because it is true.

Also sequels on the same console pretty much always sell less than the original because that's just generally what happens.
Uncharted 3 > 2 > 1 on PS3
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 > Unite > 2 > 1 on PSP
Modern Warfare 3 > Black Ops > Modern Warfare 2 > World at War = Modern Warfare on PS360
Modern Warfare 2019 > all other Call of Duty games
GTA San Andreas > Vice City > III on PS2
GTA5 > GTA4 on PS360
Halo 2 > 1 on Xbox
Bioshock Infinite > 1 on PS360
Skyrim > Oblivion on PS360
Forza Horizon 4 > 3 on XB1
Tekken 3 > 2 > 1 on PS1
Tekken 5 > 4 on PS2
Far Cry 3 > 2 on PS360
Mortal Kombat 11 > X on PS4/XBO
Resident Evil 2 > 1 on PS1
Mario Party 7 > 6 on NGC
Ace Combat 3 > 2 on PS1
Kirby Super Star > Squeak Squad > Canvas Curse on NDS
Dragon Quest VI > V on Super Famicom
Dragon Quest III > II > I on Famicom
Mega Man 2 > 1 on NES
Mega Man Battle Network 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 on GBA
Trails in the Sky SC > FC on PSP
Trails to Azure > Trails from Zero on PSP
Yo-kai Watch 2 > 1 on 3DS

+ FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden NFL, MLB The Show, Just Dance...

Uncharted 3 > 2 > 1 on PS3
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 > Unite > 2 > 1 on PSP
Modern Warfare 3 > Black Ops > Modern Warfare 2 > World at War = Modern Warfare on PS360
Modern Warfare 2019 > all other Call of Duty games
GTA San Andreas > Vice City > III on PS2
GTA5 > GTA4 on PS360
Halo 2 > 1 on Xbox
Bioshock Infinite > 1 on PS360
Skyrim > Oblivion on PS360
Forza Horizon 4 > 3 on XB1
Tekken 3 > 2 > 1 on PS1
Tekken 5 > 4 on PS2
Far Cry 3 > 2 on PS360
Mortal Kombat 11 > X on PS4/XBO
Resident Evil 2 > 1 on PS1
Mario Party 7 > 6 on NGC
Ace Combat 3 > 2 on PS1
Kirby Super Star > Squeak Squad > Canvas Curse on NDS
Dragon Quest VI > V on Super Famicom
Dragon Quest III > II > I on Famicom
Mega Man 2 > 1 on NES
Mega Man Battle Network 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 on GBA
Trails in the Sky SC > FC on PSP
Trails to Azure > Trails from Zero on PSP
Yo-kai Watch 2 > 1 on 3DS

+ FIFA, NBA 2K, Madden NFL, MLB The Show, Just Dance...
Many of those examples can be explained by them being multiplat titles or non-story driven games (such as fighters or sports games). I don't think you can really put the likes of FIFA in this category either because their annual release model depends on them growing year on year. You can't compare them like for like to Zelda which see a new game once every 5-6 years.

A more relevant comparison would be to look at how sequels on Switch have performed in general. Splatoon, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem have all seen sequels that sold less than their predecessors. It's not an unreasonable prediction to expect TOTK to follow that trend. Regardless of how big the launch is, time just isn't on its side.

If TOTK does go on to outsell BOTW on the standard Switch it would be a frankly unbelieveable achievement, but the only way I see it getting there is with some cross gen support around the launch of Switch 2, via a bundle of graphics/performance boosts and some meaty DLC.

It's almost certainly a given that it will sell less than BOTW. That has had 6+ years to steadily get to 30 million sales. TOTK won't have that luxury. Also sequels on the same console pretty much always sell less than the original because that's just generally what happens.

TOTK getting to around about 75% of what BOTW has managed (so between 20-25 million) would be a phenomenal achievement, and based on early indications it could get there.

TotK will most likely get a patch for the next Nintendo hardware and with a bit of a push from Nintendo, it will keep selling through the course of that device's life, at least until the next Zelda game comes out which is quite further along.

Zelda botw sold really well over the years but I have a feeling that totk will be the Zelda that blows up in terms of sales and reach beyond botw at a fast pace. Feels like totk is the Zelda that fully realizes the vision of the designers and it shows. I think with a next gen patch and DLC it will go beyond 40 million pretty easily.

TotK will most likely get a patch for the next Nintendo hardware and with a bit of a push from Nintendo, it will keep selling through the course of that device's life, at least until the next Zelda game comes out which is quite further along.

I feel people treating this as a given is quite careless looking at Nintendo's history of never having done that and generally never prioritizing graphical optimization. I think such a patch would make sense and would be very welcome, but I would really try to temper my expectations there.
If the successor is a rather straightforward upgrade the game may be able to benefit from some upgrades without much work, but we basically don't know anything yet.

But on topic: amazing success for TotK in France and well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom