• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Footage of Persona 3 Remake and New Jet Set Radio Project Leaked

the_marmolade

Quality Assurance Tester in Video Game Industry
Pronouns
He/Him
Footage of an early build of Sonic Frontiers is also included and some space game.

That looks like more than a rumor there lol. Persona 3 needs it to reconcile all the different versions (if it actually does that), but I’d rather they not split their focus on Persona 6 :/

Pretty sure this is fanmade, but who knows nowadays.

Given the Sonic Frontiers footage, I'm absolutely leaning towards it being real. If it wasn't for that footage, I would've raised an eyebrow.

This tweet explains it a bit more about why the Frontiers footage in particular is interesting:

Given the Sonic Frontiers footage, I'm absolutely leaning towards it being real. If it wasn't for that footage, I would've raised an eyebrow.

This tweet explains it a bit more about why the Frontiers footage in particular is interesting:

A lot of it could be placeholders if it's real but the animations all being from Dancing, Yukari using Akechi's bow from 5, the general look of JSR being off (and it using animations from Dancing all Night again) just makes it look off, on top of the source being super sketch.

Granted I do think P3 remake is real and will happen eventually, that much is obvious by now.

The P3 Remake footage could be from a very early build of the game, too, so placeholder models/textures/the like wouldn't surprise me in this case, either. Hard to judge, then, just how reliable this might be.

Looks real, but I wouldn't take too much stock in the presentation. That frontiers footage looks like a next gen remake of the game we got.

1681045363111782.png

This is fake. The Persona 3 assets are reused from the Persona Dancing games; and that JSR footage is a fanmade mockup.

Do not believe.

Looks real, but I wouldn't take too much stock in the presentation. That frontiers footage looks like a next gen remake of the game we got.

So you are saying Sonic Frontiers was reportedly downgraded because the PS5 Pro wasn't ready?

This is most definitely not real, it’s her P3D model juxtaposed on Akechi’s animations; seems like a pretty straightforward user mod.
Real or not, it's not unheard of to use place holder models/animations early in development when prototyping. Even if the model/animation was more impressive, that also wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility of it being an elaborate mod or fake.

I want to believe. I've wanted a follow up to JSRF since the early 2000s. But since this is likely to still be a GAAS type thing it could go either way. Plus Bombrush Cyberfunk is coming soon and that already will be a spiritual successor.

I'm not a Persona person so I don't have an opinion either way. That early Sonic Frontiers footage leads me to believe it's real though. That screams early Kronos island when it had Rhea there as well.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if someone comes out a few days from now and says "yeah, this is fake, and here's how I did it".

This is fake. The Persona 3 assets are reused from the Persona Dancing games; and that JSR footage is a fanmade mockup.

Do not believe.
I don't know whether you're being serious but there's proof for both games being real.

In regards to the Persona 3 remake, it's a financially cost-effective remake because the assets were already created via Persona 3 Dancing. With the Jet Set Radio remake, Sega ran a poll to see which intellectual properties from their catalogue of games fans like to see remade and Jet Set Radio was on top of the list.

I'm guessing none of them will be on Switch. We're getting Samba de Amigo which played absolute garbage on Wii.

I might gain some hope if they announce Soul Hackers 2 port soon but whatever they have will most likely target the successor. In late 2024.

This would be awesome. I’m just ready for them to finally announce something Persona so we can have something concrete to look forward to instead of everything just being heavily rumored/probably happening/etc but nothing confirmed. Hopefully this summer is when it happens during announcement season.

The consensus seems to be that this was a tech demo showed to higher ups. It could be a case of FVIII and FVII tech demos (PS2, PS3) or it will eventually happen as a gull fledged remake.

If so, I wonder how much they could milk on P3R before Persona 6

I’d like a new Jet Set Radio but I’m worried that it would come out wrong like the Nights for Wii. It’s also an IP whose ethos is very tied to the late 1990’s/early 2000’s and I don’t know how to update it for today.

First, the younger generations have never seen rollerblades in real life. They‘ve only seen them in media to mock late 80’s/early 90’s yuppies. Rollerblades do not represent coolness but dorkiness to the extreme. They are in object of mockery in commercials for the upcoming Barbie movie. Yes, in a friggin Barbie movie. Second, “street wear” is not viewed as rebellious anymore as it’s been absorbed by yuppies and global luxury brands. Third, graffiti isn’t viewed as rebellious counter culture but the nuisance it always was. Fourth, policing and how to balance the ways in which law enforcement does its job and serves society is a serious policy matter rather than a light hearted joke. Fifth, homelessness has become a bigger problem in greater Tokyo as the Japanese economy continues its disinflation post 1980’s bubble popping. Sixth, the extreme sports/skater look has faded away like all youth clothing fads. Nobody under 35 would recognize it.

The thing that would translate well is the concept that a corrupt corporate titan would be so twisted as to buy the local police, hire goons to beat up street kids,
then try to take over the world by stealing a record that summons demons from the street kids after brutalizing them, then summon the demons to obliterate Tokyo to scare everyone else to else to submit to their iron fisted rule.

The part about a corrupt corporate executive trying to take over the world has aged well.

Last edited:
wat

My niece, who isn't even in her teens, has rollerblades. And were they even "cool," just on their own, in the 90's? Or was it more of the on-going anti-skating thing by authority figures and authority-wannabes, who still push back against it in public places? There's definitely been a few viral videos of Karens harassing skaters. Graffiti has also always been a way to make statements, whether anti-authority or banal "[name] was here" sorts, for thousands of years. Making fun of police for being overzealous nutjobs is also evergreen, as is dunking on them. The current view of police as a serious threat to everyone isn't NEW. That's what the idea of lunatic officers shooting at non-violent teens and even escalating to attack helicopters and stuff was all about.

Overall though, yeah, they'd need to make sure it's addressing modern youth to some degree. IIRC, the original devs had said they couldn't make a new Jet Set because they were too old and there'd need to be a younger, more daring team to tackle the concept if the series were to come back. So I gotta assume that a newer, younger team would have more in mind to what's appealing for the younger generation. I doubt the general gameplay would be a big issue, since there's a pretty popular game based on turf wars available now for your Nintendo Switch.

I’d like a new Jet Set Radio but I’m worried that it would come out wrong like the Nights for Wii. It’s also an IP whose ethos is very tied to the late 1990’s/early 2000’s and I don’t know how to update it for today.

First, the younger generations have never seen rollerblades in real life. They‘ve only seen them in media to mock late 80’s/early 90’s yuppies. Rollerblades do not represent coolness but dorkiness to the extreme. They are in object of mockery in commercials for the upcoming Barbie movie. Yes, in a friggin Barbie movie. Second, “street wear” is not viewed as rebellious anymore as it’s been absorbed by yuppies and global luxury brands. Third, graffiti isn’t viewed as rebellious counter culture but the nuisance it always was. Fourth, policing and how to balance the ways in which law enforcement does its job and serves society is a serious policy matter rather than a light hearted joke. Fifth, homelessness has become a bigger problem in greater Tokyo as the Japanese economy continues its disinflation post 1980’s bubble popping. Sixth, the extreme sports/skater look has faded away like all youth clothing fads. Nobody under 35 would recognize it.

The thing that would translate well is the concept that a corrupt corporate titan would be so twisted as to buy the local police, hire goons to beat up street kids,
then try to take over the world by stealing a record that summons demons from the street kids after brutalizing them, then summon the demons to obliterate Tokyo to scare everyone else to else to submit to their iron fisted rule.

The part about a corrupt corporate executive trying to take over the world has aged well.
The 90s are actually experiencing a revival of sorts right now, all kinds of skates included.

Honestly, you're really overthinking this. Not everything needs to be updated for "modern audiences" unless it features some truly objectionable content. Sure, Jet Set Radio may not be representative of current subcultures like it was in the early 00s. So what? If the aesthetic is unique and the gameplay is fun, people won't care about inline skates being dorky or whatever. It just becomes another videogame premise, with this one also being a bit of a throwback. No one outside of Japan has experienced or lived through their 80s bubble economy, yet Yakuza 0 put the series on the map in the West. Goth/emo/punk fashion is not in, yet DMC5 is the best selling game in the series.

I'm much more worried about this game's rumored F2P GAAS model and the impact it will have on the game design than whether it will resonate with current audiences . After all, Splatoon is JSR without the skates and does extremely well.

Last edited:
That Jet Set Radio snippet looks rad.

Can see this turning out to be correct.

Don't think there's really any sort of stigma against rollerblading that would inhibit the game anymore. People are exposed to that culture as much to begin with now anyway.

That said, blading has a bit of its own resurgence. Skating team videos have a decent audience and whatnot. But all of this doesn't really matter for JSR given it has a lot of selling points

I'm not holding my breath that this is faithful to the series. The art in that footage is... it's not bad, but it just isn't same striking stylism the series is known for. I guess kind of generic.

I'm just glad Bomb Rush Cyberfunk exists, seems like they get what makes JSR special. It's JSR3 as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad that the image looks different. you can't sustain brands by hitting the same art all the time every time. it still has the core tenants of the JSR heavily stylized look, but it pushes the boundaries to keep up with contemporaries.

JSR has to be daring in its aesthetic. JSRF changed it up and was a looker. any new JSR has to do the same

I'm not holding my breath that this is faithful to the series. The art in that footage is... it's not bad, but it just isn't same striking stylism the series is known for. I guess kind of generic.

I'm just glad Bomb Rush Cyberfunk exists, seems like they get what makes JSR special. It's JSR3 as far as I'm concerned.

The art style in the image posted above is from a survey that featured multiple art styles apparently. Probably not indicative of what the final would look like and is, as speculated, super early stuff.

These two projects exist whether or not the footage itself is real. Bloomberg reported on Jet Set Radio last year, and there's a reliable source on The Purple Forum with a track record on Persona releases who has been backing the P3R rumor for months.

Given the included Frontiers footage is clearly from an earlier build than the final product, and we have further proof of the Jet Set Radio segment being real now, there's less reason to doubt the validity.

Persona 3 Remake Don't Be Transphobic Challenge (Impossible)

Using my power of foresight, I can see two potential outcomes:

1) I have to pretend to be surprised if Hashino leaving the series suddenly leads to a decline in bigoted content (saving it all up for Re:Fantasy; a game that will make even Terfwarts blush).

2) Actually, the Persona team just suck, so they'll not only remake the transphobic scene, but add a second one later in the game. They'll also give Junpei a hilarious quirk where he says "ew, gay" after every interaction with Akihiko. Next, they'll give Fuuka an arc that very tactlessly references and decries medical transition, binding and other related subjects. Finally, they'll rename the game to Persona 4, and many Persona fans will clap and cheer, continuing to call it a timeless masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom