• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Final Fantasy XVI - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, launching summer 2023)

According to a Sony commercial (0:15 in the video), Final Fantasy XVI will only be a PS5 exclusive for six months. PC version is probably coming after that, and I’d bet an Xbox version as well. It’d make sense, FF is too important to Square to be limited to one system anymore.

The exclusivity window has been a bit of an open secret I think. PCGamer mentioned it a few weeks ago in their coverage of the last trailer:

According to a Sony commercial (0:15 in the video), Final Fantasy XVI will only be a PS5 exclusive for six months. PC version is probably coming after that, and I’d bet an Xbox version as well. It’d make sense, FF is too important to Square to be limited to one system anymore.

I am glad to see the exclusivity may be shorter this time around, waiting for 7 remake on steam was really annoying.

Have we talked about the recent IGN interview with the developers yet?

Link

Their answer about the lack of diversity is really disappointing. It's a stark reminder that Final Fantasy has struggled mightily in this area for a long time, and unfortunately, it looks like not much effort is being put into improving it.
Definitely felt like a workshopped non-answer to the question when what they really wanted to say was "look, we wanted to do an all-white classic fantasy medieval Europe setting and we didn't really put any more thought into it than that, okay?"

I’d love for it to hit Xbox, but I just don’t see it. Sony managed to pay for VIIR this long - If XVI is good (and it looks pretty damn good) they’ll probably try hard to keep it exclusive.

yQkUIuq.png

OMG, the game is getting a latam spanish dub, this game is literally being made for me.

This game is looking greater and greater with each new trailer, I really hope the pc release is not too long after the PS5 release.

It's also the first time a mainline FF is getting an Italian dub. And that, coupled with Twilight's post, makes me believe that the series latest entry is being localized and dubbed in more languages than ever. Maybe due to SIE's involvement? I can't imagine SE investing all of that money in loc. work ahahah

Also, I kinda guessed the release time frame. Obviously with early June I meant early (summer), June ;p

I didn’t watch the game awards so I’m just now catching up with the trailers, and wow.

Here’s the English version

Zelda’s got some stiff competition next year, is all I’m gonna say.

I didn’t watch the game awards so I’m just now catching up with the trailers, and wow.

Here’s the English version

Zelda’s got some stiff competition next year, is all I’m gonna say.

I will agree the game looks very good; however, Final Fantasy games have a cycle much like the Sonic cycle. The games always look amazing up until release and then when its out the other shoe drops and there are some glaring obvious issues with it that prevents it from being a masterpiece. It has been this way for a while now.

I will agree the game looks very good; however, Final Fantasy games have a cycle much like the Sonic cycle. The games always look amazing up until release and then when its out the other shoe drops and there are some glaring obvious issues with it that prevents it from being a masterpiece. It has been this way for a while now.
Throwing caution to the wind, I'm gonna hype irresponsibly! FF16 GOTY 2023 let's gooooooooo

In my opinion this is how it's been for me since Sakaguchi left, and yet..
Throwing caution to the wind, I'm gonna hype irresponsibly! FF16 GOTY 2023 let's gooooooooo
..this is me. 🤣

I'm still a bit jostled by the series moving decisively into the action genre but if that's the only "glaring issue" then 🤷‍♂️

In my opinion this is how it's been for me since Sakaguchi left, and yet..

..this is me. 🤣

I'm still a bit jostled by the series moving decisively into the action genre but if that's the only "glaring issue" then 🤷‍♂️
Based on the last trailer, I am not convinced this game will not be hyper linear like FFX, FFXIII, and FFVIIR...

Based on the last trailer, I am not convinced this game will not be hyper linear like FFX, FFXIII, and FFVIIR...
The linearity actually doesn't bother me so much in FF for some reason. I tend to play them in a sort of linear fashion anyway, going from story beat to story beat even if there's other stuff to do, because the story is what I'm in it for. I remember enjoying XIII quite a bit and only finding out after the fact that the internet really didn't like the linearity, while my only issue with the game was the battle system.

Actually sounds like XVI might be the same thing for me as XIII was. 😅

This looks so much more to my liking than anything we'd seen pre-release about XV, it's not even funny anymore. Too bad it seems like it's PS only up until the end of 2023 even, going by the latest trailer's footnote there at the end. Booo.

FFXVI aims to be a showcase of the PS5’s power

During a recent Final Fantasy XIV livestream, Yoshi-P had some interesting things to say about the development of Final Fantasy XVI and how it will look and play on the PS5. The producer says that FF16 will essentially be a testament to the PlayStation 5's enthusiast-grade performance.

Yoshi-P also commented that the recent Final Fantasy XVI Revenge trailer was all in real-time: "It's all real-time rendering. No loading! It's become a game that is like 'look at the power of the PS5!" Yoshida-san said during the stream, as translated by Genki.

FFXVI aims to be a showcase of the PS5’s power

This is great news. The loadtimes especially are something that when they really try for them (which usually means more PS5-exclusives) it's really incredible how seamless and quick they can be. I still marvel at hopping in and out of zones in Demon's Souls.

it seems a preview embargo is ending next week and we should start seeing previews soon. take it with a grain of salt.

Lol the crevice there doesn’t even seem to be hiding a load time. It reminds me of the sewers in 7R where you had to do those contextual jumps and ducks and shit for literally no reason

Final Fantasy XVI has gone gold

That's just fantastic news, not surprising though, they've made their case loud and clear! Nice to see Square release the best turn-based RPG AND the bast action RPG of 2023 all on their own.

Also I totally didn't post this exact tweet in the preview thread nope ;P this thread is more fitting though ahah

That's just fantastic news, not surprising though, they've made their case loud and clear! Nice to see Square release the best turn-based RPG AND the bast action RPG of 2023 all on their own.

Also I totally didn't post this exact tweet in the preview thread nope ;P this thread is more fitting though ahah
aw dang, sorry pal, I didn’t see that! as for having the two threads, it does seem kinda confusing doesn’t it? in my mind the preview thread was specifically for the previews, and this one is kind of a general discussion thread. but lines get blurred and who knows what thread to use!

anyway my hype for XVI is as high as ever and I can’t wait for the updates on all the “RPG” elements in the game that we’re supposed to be getting this month

aw dang, sorry pal, I didn’t see that! as for having the two threads, it does seem kinda confusing doesn’t it? in my mind the preview thread was specifically for the previews, and this one is kind of a general discussion thread. but lines get blurred and who knows what thread to use!

anyway my hype for XVI is as high as ever and I can’t wait for the updates on all the “RPG” elements in the game that we’re supposed to be getting this month
Oh yes, absolutely no problem! I wasn't joking when I said this is the more appropriate thread.

And same, no other game, not even TotK, has me as interested. (though I'll be playing Zelda day 1 and not 16... But that's besides the point)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom