• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Final Fantasy XVI - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, launching summer 2023)

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him

Developer : Square Enix
Release Date :TBA

Showing some final fantasy love to this board, so making a thread to so we can post updates/discussion for the latest one

This game will probably be of more interest to members here over most PS5 exclusives so I'm excited for the discussions to be had.

Personally I have high hopes for this game. I am still working through the Final Fantasy games (I still have VI and X to go), but after playing most of them I really hope this game captures the magic of the older games. XIII was beautiful and had great gameplay, but the story was a mess and the game was longer than it needed to be. XIII-2 did redeem the mini-series though. XV was fun for what it was but it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. I'm hoping we get open worlds to explore, cities to visit, and a decent story this time.

Right now I am expecting early 2023 because it is Square. Hopefully the final product is a banger.

I hope this one if for me. FXII was the last one I really liked. Tried XIII and XV but it was not my thing.

It’s hard to believe we are finally getting a brand new mainline Final Fantasy experience after a decade of the Final Fantasy XIII / Versus XIII > XV era. (Still over the moon pumped for Versus XIII returning in Kingdom Hearts)

I’m feeling fairly optimistic we might see XVI again finally in the State of Play next week.

I bought a PS5 solely for FFVII Remake and FFXVI, so needless to say I’m quite excited.

I think this game looked absolutely phenomenal in the reveal. I've probably put 200 hours on XIV and I have a lot of faith in the team at the steering wheel. I love that they're Matsuno stans lol give us that vibe please

Are they seriously telling me that they have multiple characters that have a summon inside them who can take on their abilities…. And that there’s NOT gonna be a party using that concept?

Love it, love everything about it. Give me that character-action game goodness. I don't need a party.

Looks amazing.
I really hope it also comes to steam the same day. it would suck to have another FF7R situation.

PHOENIX!

TITAN!

GARUDA!

RAMUH!

SHIVA! ODIN! BAHAMUT!

IFRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

The OST sounds like it's going to be amazing, but man, it looking exceedingly likely that you will not have a party keeps me from getting too excited.

Looking forward to it, gives me Heavensward and Stormblood vibes, which are the best vibes. Tho I'll have to wait 10 years for it to come to PC.

52118329769_9e92daaa12_k.jpg

So excited for Final Fantasy XVI! Glad it’s a proper, fast paced action game!
Yes, nothing says Final Fantasy like it’s a “proper, fast paced action game.”

I get that some people are very happy that it’s a straight up action game, but man Square really loves destroying Sakaguchi’s FF1-9 template / legacy.

I think it looks good, excluding the UI but that can get touched up. I'm fairly openminded about FF as a franchise though and don't think it needs parties or whatever. That said I'm not 100% on board yet because FF15 exists.

Really bummed by this new trailer. I think the game just looks really boring. The combat is also just bleh, I think FF7R had a decent balance for action and slower more strategic stuff but this just seems all-out action, not even sure I saw multiple party members?

Also, I'm becoming increasingly convinced Square are unable to come up with interesting new character designs. I saw no one in that trailer remotely interesting, all just super generic looking and dull.

Yes, nothing says Final Fantasy like it’s a “proper, fast paced action game.”

I get that some people are very happy that it’s a straight up action game, but man Square really loves destroying Sakaguchi’s FF1-9 template / legacy.
I disagree. Final Fantasy has never been content to remain the same. It’s a restless series of immense ambition and they give it their all every time fully believing in their vision. Sakaguchi directly gave his blessing to Final Fantasy XV at the release date reveal (I was there) and loves XIV.

That looked absolutely abhorrent. The original trailer had me a little bit hopeful for a return to form, but I guess that was too optimistic. Good thing there's practically no emotional investment in this series from my end anymore.

I'm glad people like it, but this isn't for me at all. It looks stripped of everything I like about Final Fantasy games, and I'm not talking about just combat. I can barely recognize it as a Final Fantasy game, it looks some kinda of westernized Dark Souls spin off.

I disagree. Final Fantasy has never been content to remain the same. It’s a restless series of immense ambition and they give it their all every time fully believing in their vision. Sakaguchi directly gave his blessing to Final Fantasy XV at the release date reveal (I was there) and loves XIV.
I absolutely love FF14, but I am not getting my hopes up about FF16 based on what they showed us. I’m not making inferences anymore and I think everyone should do that based on how hyped up people were for past games by hoping they were something they ended up not being.

This time I am going to call a spade a spade until I am shown otherwise; FF16 seems to be a character action game wrapped in Final Fantasy trappings. Unfortunately, that is something I’m not interested in.

I hope as time goes on they reveal more about the game and that it has a high level of adventure and RPG mechanics, but based on what was shown I would say it’s safer to not assume it’s anything other than DMC x FF.

I absolutely love FF14, but I am not getting my hopes up about FF16 based on what they showed us. I’m not making inferences anymore and I think everyone should do that based on how hyped up people were for past games by hoping they were something they ended up not being.

This time I am going to call a spade a spade until I am shown otherwise; FF16 seems to be a character action game wrapped in Final Fantasy trappings. Unfortunately, that is something I’m not interested in.

I hope as time goes on they reveal more about the game and that it has a high level of adventure and RPG mechanics, but based on what was shown I would say it’s safer to not assume it’s anything other than DMC x FF.
That’s a fair take. If this game comes out and isn’t hot I’ll be disappointed, but for now I’m very excited and optimistic.

So is it safe to say party members aren't happening?

I can't really tell what's happening in the combat. It looks like there are transformations into the summons or something? D-Pad is inventory while face buttons are skills. Shoulder buttons swap transformations or summons I guess. I'll wait for some combat analysis video before saying too much about it though. But I hope we get a better sense of what RPG mechanics are available soon.

I'm gonna throw my hat in the positive basket. Game looks amazing. The combat potential with the summon switches is incredible, the moonlight scene gives me hope that even with a single party member, we will see those character moments that define FF and the world from the screenshots looks cool to explore. And the music is perfection. The UI clashes with the overall vibe but as long as they allow us to scale the HP bars back I can deal with it. Summer 2023 though is a real bummer, especially after all the talk about the game being in the polishing stage.

Really bummed by this new trailer. I think the game just looks really boring. The combat is also just bleh, I think FF7R had a decent balance for action and slower more strategic stuff but this just seems all-out action, not even sure I saw multiple party members?

Also, I'm becoming increasingly convinced Square are unable to come up with interesting new character designs. I saw no one in that trailer remotely interesting, all just super generic looking and dull.
Maybe it's because I'm 50 hours deep into Xenoblade 2 which makes random grunts in Yakuza look like incredible character design in comparison, but I kind of dig the characters we've seen here so far. Seemingly mostly adults, not too oversexualized. Surprisingly mature looking. Hopefully the tribal face tattoos from the first trailer are gone though lol.

A Realm Reborn and Heavensward's writer nice, that makes me excited. Putting my hopes high on the combat system being good due to the combat director.
The staff involved is definitely what makes me feel so confidently excited about this game. I loved FFXV, but I think hedging their bets by scaling back the action gameplay from the initial Versus trailers when it became a mainline game was a mistake. I love turn based games, I love character action games, a middle ground left people less than thrilled even if it still worked on its terms.

I see people on the internet assuming they game is open world based on the screen shots. This is the exact type of assumptions that ultimately made people extremely disappointed in FF13 and FF7R. “Look at how beautiful and wide open these vistas are!! I can’t wait to explore this world.” And then when the game comes out it turns out all of those wide open vistas we’re just background wide open vistas and tbe actual “world” was extremely small and narrow.

As of now I am assuming this is a linear and guided character action game with maybe some backtracking. Until Square explicitly shows exploration or says it’s an open world game, people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

They put out a handy chart breaking down where staff is from. Had no idea the composer of FFXIV worked on Mario Basketball lol.

I can see why the combat is divisive but I’d rather have action rpgs go all in on the action side rather than just having bad feeling combat a la FF XV and VII Remake.

Still rather have ATB though.

I actually liked this trailer, even though it was just a lot of random CGI Espers stomping around. Music's sick, visuals, too.

I'd also rather they go full on Action game than having these weird neither fish nor fowl battle systems.

Here's hoping for a PC version asap.

It’s going to be weird if there’s no traveling party, ngl. It’ll take me a bit to get over that

But aside from judging the game for what it isn’t, I’m super excited for what’s being shown here.

The focus on summons is amazing. They are one thing that has united FF entries since IV (?) and I love seeing the unique implementations of them in each game. After somewhat middling showings in XIII and especially XV, and after the summon roster being unique in FF12 instead of the classics, it’s amazing to see a solid roster of classic summons that look important to the story (probably the most they’ve ever been) AND essential to the gameplay. I’m so excited for the cutscenes and battles with them, it’s gonna bring back the awesomeness of watching the one minute crazy animations in the PS1 games.

As for the battle system, yeah it’s not something FF specifically has ever done. But I love character action games and the combat director has fucking DMC on his resume. I’m super excited to see what they’ve come up with.

I’m trusting all of you FF14 players on the story, so that’s most of my hype with regards to that. But the GOT-esque tone has me super interested. I love political fantasy. The thing with dominants has tons of potential for intriguing story arcs, and makes me curious about the background lore of the world.

All in all, it’s different. Which is to be expected of FF and will take some adjustment time. But in terms of what was ACTUALLY shown, I’m super hopeful and think we’ll get a special end product.

Back
Top Bottom