• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Final Fantasy X

(Late to the party)

Beanstar40

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Good afternoon Fami. I’ve been playing through ffx for the first time on my xbox series x. I started about a month ago, but because im slow at playing games, and have a shite attention span, i’m only 20 hours or so in.

I dont think a jrpg has ingrained its way into my skull like this game has since I played ff7 as a kid. Around the time this game came out, i had lost interest in JRPG’s and therefore didn’t give it a chance. The world and characters are so engaging, despite the corny and admittedly aged dialogue, there is something endearing about the crew. I also love the etherial atmosphere that makes up spira. This atmosphere, mysterious, scary, yet beautiful and calming all at once are sold in the gorgeous art direction and fantastic music.

The battle system is a joy as well, in fact, it may be my favorite battle system ever featured in a jrpg. When i was younger i rolled my eyes at the sphere grid the few times i had watched my cousin play this. But now i can see how brilliant it actually is. It lets you track your stats in real time, and gives you a greater degree of control over how your party evolves. There is also the matter of risk vs reward. Some good upgrades may be locked behind a level 3 sphere but you dont yet have level 3 keys, do you hold off on continuing on the grid until you get them, or do you pass these skills in favor of better stats sooner?

Anyway, since ive began playing ive gone down rabbit holes reading articles and watching videos all about the world of spira. I hope that one day we get either a remake, or a full on 3rd game. Maybe by that point ill have actually finished this and 10-2. For now i leave you with this gorgeous concept video i found on youtube.

I love X but i hated X-2 so much that it kind of killed any lasting impact that X might have had on me. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do if and when X-3 comes out. guess we’ll just wait and see.

I love X but i hated X-2 so much that it kind of killed any lasting impact that X might have had on me. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do if and when X-3 comes out. guess we’ll just wait and see.
Oh man, should i out right skip 10-2 and just watch the cut scenes?

I do love FFX. It really does have a mood unlike any other JRPG I've played, and I think that's ultimately what keeps me coming back -- although as you mentioned, the amazing battle system doesn't hurt! I hope you continue to have a great time with it; IMO it keeps the heat coming and stays exciting the whole way through!

I would echo some sentiments here and say that basically every extension of the FFX universe is kind of awful. FFX-2 is fun to play and remixes the battle system in an interesting way, but the story is rancid lol. The like cutscene intermission thing that comes with the HD version is wack too. I admittedly haven't read the novels myself but have read a summary...suffice it to say that some stuff happens that, while hilarious, also doesn't hold much of a candle to the original FFX.

It’s definitely not my favorite FF, but it certainly felt like it belonged with the other PlayStation games. X-2 was pretty good too imo.

Depends, if it's a straight remake and not like 7R yeah
Agreed, not to derail my own thread, but im not a huge fan of the story direction they took 7 remake in, which is a shame because i love that games iteration of the characters.

I do love FFX. It really does have a mood unlike any other JRPG I've played, and I think that's ultimately what keeps me coming back -- although as you mentioned, the amazing battle system doesn't hurt! I hope you continue to have a great time with it; IMO it keeps the heat coming and stays exciting the whole way through!

I would echo some sentiments here and say that basically every extension of the FFX universe is kind of awful. FFX-2 is fun to play and remixes the battle system in an interesting way, but the story is rancid lol. The like cutscene intermission thing that comes with the HD version is wack too. I admittedly haven't read the novels myself but have read a summary...suffice it to say that some stuff happens that, while hilarious, also doesn't hold much of a candle to the original FFX.
Yeah, im not concerned about spoilers so i read about some of the liberties taken in the novel. Hopefully if another game is made, that thing is avoided like the plague.

I played FFX around this time last year and am playing FFVII right now.

It's a pretty solid Final Fantasy game overall!

The battle system in FFX is so, so good. I think the two things that hold it back for me are the cutscenes (voice acting didn't add as much as they thought it would) and the tedium of the cloister of trials.

I think I'm the minority that enjoyed more X-2 than X, because I really like when they go full anime, no stops. Also the class combat system was really interesting

I played FFX around this time last year and am playing FFVII right now.

It's a pretty solid Final Fantasy game overall!

The battle system in FFX is so, so good. I think the two things that hold it back for me are the cutscenes (voice acting didn't add as much as they thought it would) and the tedium of the cloister of trials.
Haha ill definitely agree regarding the cloister trials, the stupid rugrats sounding music makes them even worse 😂

Oh man, should i out right skip 10-2 and just watch the cut scenes?
I’m almost done with FFX-2 and while I don’t know yet about the “big payoff” I can say that it’s definitely not worth it. I loved X too, a lot of modern (6th gen and beyond) JRPGs owe a lot of it, including my personal favorite (Tales of Symphonia). X-2 however is the definition of overstaying its welcome, you don’t need it and even if you’re super bored and itching for more Spira it’s not worth it either. The gameplay isn’t even good, sure you could say that it’s the most modern iteration of ATB but it’s still slow, grindy and you don’t get to fully use stuff like changing jobs mid battle since the whole game is a cakewalk besides some stupid superbosses (that need to be beaten for 100% + true ending). Besides the combat, the game itself is basically a collection of annoying stuff in JRPGs that you look up in a guide. Know how the side content in FFX and getting the best weapons is by far the worst part of the game? Well all of X-2 is like that, you basically revisit areas you already know about and you do boring missions. It’s very clearly not a mainline game, it looks very cheap next to X, the music is much worse (only good tracks are the title screen and the vocal themes). I was always curious about that game because I like Koda Kumi, Yuna was my favorite character and I thought it couldn’t be that bad because Square doesn’t miss and they usually know how to make fun JRPGs but I can say for sure that X-2 is very skippable, it’s not even hyperbole to suggest that it can ruin your perception of X since it reuses so much content that it could sour you from ever replaying X.

FFX was the first Final Fantasy I ever played, coming to the series late having never experienced one growing up, and it still remains my favourite Final Fantasy to this day. It's largely down to how the game oozes atmosphere. It nails the sense of impending dread, of exploring a world that's constantly on the brink, where everything you ever loved could be wiped out in an instant, of constantly moving towards a goal that spells personal misery for you and your party. The music and setting really contribute massively to the experience.

And it remains in a weird dimension gap in gaming between the turn based RPGs of the past and the more action orientated RPGs that came next. But in some ways it holds up much better than its direct sequel and FFXII, which laid the foundations of future RPG gameplay but have been long surpassed by the likes of Xenoblade. But its turn based nature makes it feel timeless somehow.

Two things befuddle me however. Why they thought a sequel involving Yuna as a JPop superstar was a good idea, and how the hell I didn't notice Waka = Bender from Futurama until the end credits were rolling.

Yeah, im not concerned about spoilers so i read about some of the liberties taken in the novel. Hopefully if another game is made, that thing is avoided like the plague.
qaGO2Sb.gif

I’m almost done with FFX-2 and while I don’t know yet about the “big payoff” I can say that it’s definitely not worth it. I loved X too, a lot of modern (6th gen and beyond) JRPGs owe a lot of it, including my personal favorite (Tales of Symphonia). X-2 however is the definition of overstaying its welcome, you don’t need it and even if you’re super bored and itching for more Spira it’s not worth it either. The gameplay isn’t even good, sure you could say that it’s the most modern iteration of ATB but it’s still slow, grindy and you don’t get to fully use stuff like changing jobs mid battle since the whole game is a cakewalk besides some stupid superbosses (that need to be beaten for 100% + true ending). Besides the combat, the game itself is basically a collection of annoying stuff in JRPGs that you look up in a guide. Know how the side content in FFX and getting the best weapons is by far the worst part of the game? Well all of X-2 is like that, you basically revisit areas you already know about and you do boring missions. It’s very clearly not a mainline game, it looks very cheap next to X, the music is much worse (only good tracks are the title screen and the vocal themes). I was always curious about that game because I like Koda Kumi, Yuna was my favorite character and I thought it couldn’t be that bad because Square doesn’t miss and they usually know how to make fun JRPGs but I can say for sure that X-2 is very skippable, it’s not even hyperbole to suggest that it can ruin your perception of X since it reuses so much content that it could sour you from ever replaying X.
Ah thanks for the warning, might just read the plot and watch a few cut scenes then

Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite games of all time, I beat it twice on PS2 and then again on PS3 with the HD remaster. Great story and world, awesome battle system, an all-timer OST. I never get bored of it, been thinking of grabbing the Switch version for another playthrough soon as it's been a while.

Fun fact: FFX is actually a very distant sequel to FFVII set on a different planet. Yes, this is canon and not fan theory.

Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite games of all time, I beat it twice on PS2 and then again on PS3 with the HD remaster. Great story and world, awesome battle system, an all-timer OST. I never get bored of it, been thinking of grabbing the Switch version for another playthrough soon as it's been a while.

Fun fact: FFX is actually a very distant sequel to FFVII set on a different planet. Yes, this is canon and not fan theory.
It's the other way around. VII is a sequel to X

I could not get over how wildly linear X was. My intro to the series was the PS1 games which, while also largely linear, at least used the pre-rendered backgrounds and camera angles to give the impression of exploring wild spaces and going in new interesting directions. X felt so constricted by comparison, some areas literally were just corridors. As well as that, there wasn't a proper world map.

I get the game has its fans, but it didn't scratch any sort of itch I was looking for from the series.

FFX is excellent, it really was great to set my bearings to how RPGs worked. I couldn't figure out stuff like DQ8 at the time. FFX is just elegant.

Great combat system and I really like the general "vibe" of the game, one of the most interesting worlds in an FF game. Spira is one of my favorite settings in a Final Fantasy game if not my favorite outright. The locales you visit really give of a sense of culture.

Final Fantasy X is my recommendation to anyone looking to try out the Final Fantasy series. It's modern enough that it shouldn't be too difficult to get into but also classic enough to give a good sense on how the majority of the series is. I don't think games like FF 15 do a good job representing the series as a whole.

I love FFX, it's a top 5 FF game IMO. Great battle system where elemental attacks really matter, the overkill system is fun, and I really like the turn order/speed being shown to make things a bit more tactical.

The voice acting isn't even that bad today (just some wonky direction/timing and such mostly, due to when the game came out), and at the time, I was completely blown away by it. I felt like I was actually playing a movie for the first time ever, and the game being pretty linear actually helped with that. Collecting monsters for the battle arena and the bizarre ways to get the best weapons feels a bit tedious now, but overall it's still a fantastic game.

"And that, as they say, is that."

Back
Top Bottom