• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Yeah I wouldn't be too concerned. The movie is fantastic. Furiosa and Dementus are the best characters the Mad Max Saga has seen including Max(on the heels of seeing Furiosa, I've skipped ahead in my backlog and watched the first three Mad Max movies).

After seeing all of them now I consider Furiosa to be the best of the saga thus far, and makes Fury Road even better when watching the two chronologically.

Well I finally carved out some time this afternoon and got tickets!!

I'm running some errands at the hardware store before going to the theater though and this can of spraypaint has me thinking thoughts. . .

vy4XQwi.jpeg

Furiosa was pretty good but definitely disjointed and uneven. The script lacks the tightness and momentum of Fury Road and really feels like Furiosa herself is barely a factor in the first half. But I really enjoyed the visuals/direction and it was fun to be in this world again.

Furiosa was pretty good but definitely disjointed and uneven. The script lacks the tightness and momentum of Fury Road and really feels like Furiosa herself is barely a factor in the first half. But I really enjoyed the visuals/direction and it was fun to be in this world again.
Yeah it was impressive on a technical level but the first half really did have me sitting there waiting for things to get going. I appreciate the degree to which they let the movie live in that world for the first half but honestly toxic-male-fantasy-world is not the sort of place I wanna spend a bunch of time, even if the point of the movie is that it's all very very bad.

Taylor-Joy is fantastic though, and really sells the evolution of her character into the Furiosa we saw Theron play years ago. I just hope Miller can crank out one more. Dunno why I like trilogies so much but I want the Furiosa trilogy.

Yeah it was impressive on a technical level but the first half really did have me sitting there waiting for things to get going. I appreciate the degree to which they let the movie live in that world for the first half but honestly toxic-male-fantasy-world is not the sort of place I wanna spend a bunch of time, even if the point of the movie is that it's all very very bad.

Taylor-Joy is fantastic though, and really sells the evolution of her character into the Furiosa we saw Theron play years ago. I just hope Miller can crank out one more. Dunno why I like trilogies so much but I want the Furiosa trilogy.
Three is just a good number of entries. Beginning, middle, end.

Saw Furiosa yesterday evening ... and sadly i'm not too hot on the movie. For me, Fury Road was better. It's a good movie, but it feels like "missed opportunity", could've made it better.

Some parts feel too long, too stretched, and i didn't like the pacing.

Anya Taylor-Joy and Hemsworth carry the movie hard.

I think Miller should've made the "40 days war" more prominent instead of this vague esoteric "interim" scene, and had Furiosa create her artificial arm sooner and be an active part of Immortan Joe's army.

Make her a leader on the same level as Joe's sons are (automatically) and have people see why he "created" the Imperator title for her, as she's better than the Praetorians before her.

So I watched Fury Road again last night following my original Mad Max trilogy watch-through, which came at the heels of seeing and loving Furiosa.

I've only seen it once before when it came out on VOD and I liked it but wasn't as floored by it as the internet seems to regard it.

Basically came away the same this time as well, but think certain moments work way better if you watch this after Furiosa.

When Furiosa, in Fury Road, learns that The Green Place is completely gone.
Is one example I can recall. There are others as well.

I don't much care for Tom Hardy's performance as Max (I don't care for Mel Gibson's either though). Wish Heath Ledger would have been able to do it as that was apparently George Miller's wish.

I don't find the Warboy's (Nox?) turn to the good guys side all that believable, along with his behavioural change in general. Especially in that very short amount of time in the story.

The action's great but I do prefer Furiosa's more varied setpieces which made things more exciting and gave things the possibility of any scene going pear-shaped.

Charlize Theron is absolutely the best thing about the film. She is incredible in every scene she is in. I love Anya Talor-Joy as Furiosa as well. Also the actress that played a younger version was great too. But Charlize Theron carries this movie hard for me.

The film Fury Road is absolutely made better with Furiosa preceding it. But I wish people didn't slide into comparing the films so easily. They are telling different stories in different ways. Judge the films on their own. It'd be pretty dumb and boring and creatively pretty pointless if the prequel to Fury Road was just Fury Road Redux. Yeah it's half an hour longer. So what? Yeah the story is told across weeks, months, and years. Why couldn't the pacing be better? Because you have to let a story like that breathe to show the changes with the characters otherwise it just comes off as flippant. The audience needs to recalibrate to the changes to the character. Otherwise it becomes harder for the audience to know anytime has really passed at all.

And you know why it must do that? Because it's an entirely different story. It took nine years for this installment to come out, be more grateful it even came out at all. It was supposed to come sooner but then COVID hit. Sorry it's not filmed entirely in a real desert again. How about you go out and film a two and a half hour epic in the desert with 2023 level record breaking temperatures. I don't know the fullest horrors of the making of the Fury Road, but that's what it feels like people are asking for again when lamenting the way this recent film was made.

And you know why it must do that? Because it's an entirely different story. It took nine years for this installment to come out, be more grateful it even came out at all. It was supposed to come sooner but then COVID hit. Sorry it's not filmed entirely in a real desert again. How about you go out and film a two and a half hour epic in the desert with 2023 level record breaking temperatures. I don't know the fullest horrors of the making of the Fury Road, but that's what it feels like people are asking for again when lamenting the way this recent film was made.
I don't understand why responding to criticism of Furiosa has to carry this framing. It's very hostile and unnecessary. There is a lot to like about the movie but it is also far from perfect. "Be more grateful it even came out at all," it's entertainment, a frivolous non-necessity, not a lifesaving medicine.

I don't understand why responding to criticism of Furiosa has to carry this framing. It's very hostile and unnecessary. There is a lot to like about the movie but it is also far from perfect. "Be more grateful it even came out at all," it's entertainment, a frivolous non-necessity, not a lifesaving medicine.
"Why don't you make a movie?" is also the laziest way of trying to get out of criticism.
Like, do I understand why Furiosa is a compromised production in some ways? Yes. Does that help it overcome these compromises? No.

"Why don't you make a movie?" is also the laziest way of trying to get out of criticism.
Like, do I understand why Furiosa is a compromised production in some ways? Yes. Does that help it overcome these compromises? No.
Yeah because "They didn't shoot it in a hot desert, so it's not as good," is great film criticism.

My point in the last paragraph is to simply criticize a film on its own rather than requiring to always compare to another film to make any sort of point. That's lazy criticism.

Last edited:
Yeah because "They didn't shoot it in a hot desert, so it's not as good, is great film criticism.

My point in the last paragraph is to simply criticize a film on its own rather than requiring to always compare to another film to make any sort of point. That's lazy criticism.
I mean, its a direct follow up to another movie by the same director, I think comparisons are fair and inevitable. The production leaves something to be desired compared to Fury Road, and its fair for people to be let down by that, even if the reasons for it make sense.

Edit: I'm sorry if I was a bit hostile, I think there is an interesting conversation to be had here.

There's definitely something to be said about how the movie conveniently shorten/skips certain events.

There's definitely something to be said about how the movie conveniently shorten/skips certain events.
The editing and pacing just feel kinda spotty to me. There were multiple scenes where I was like "where are we and what do the characters want?" This is not a question I have ever asked watching a Mad Max movie before. Perhaps Miller bit off more than he can chew with the script or I need another watch to digest it. But it kinda gave me that feeling you get from anime compilation movies, like they were squeezing a TV season's worth of storytelling into one movie.

All I can say is that I'm a big fan of the New Wave period that started in the late 50's, the French and Japanese New Wave as well as the American New Hollywood cinema, and I think from a photographic aesthetic point of view I'd probably go with Bergman's Persona, Yoshishige Yoshida's A Story Written with Water, and the former largely influenced my view of the "The former has greatly influenced my understanding of how the medium of photography presents schizophrenia. In the latter, the repetition of the camera suggests that the mother's coming and going in the hero's vision, her sexual relations with other men, and her sexual discourse traumatized the hero's childhood and induced mother-son incest in his adulthood. A friend once told me that the 20th century was the century of cinema and psychoanalysis, and after watching these two films I largely agree with a similar modernist agenda.

All I can say is that I'm a big fan of the New Wave period that started in the late 50's, the French and Japanese New Wave as well as the American New Hollywood cinema, and I think from a photographic aesthetic point of view I'd probably go with Bergman's Persona, Yoshishige Yoshida's A Story Written with Water, and the former largely influenced my view of the "The former has greatly influenced my understanding of how the medium of photography presents schizophrenia. In the latter, the repetition of the camera suggests that the mother's coming and going in the hero's vision, her sexual relations with other men, and her sexual discourse traumatized the hero's childhood and induced mother-son incest in his adulthood. A friend once told me that the 20th century was the century of cinema and psychoanalysis, and after watching these two films I largely agree with a similar modernist agenda.
Persona is just one of the films, and Bergman is one of the filmmakers. It's a cliche because its true, he was simply one of the best to ever do it. To imagine cinema without Bergman is to imagine the ocean without trenches.

Persona is just one of the films, and Bergman is one of the filmmakers. It's a cliche because its true, he was simply one of the best to ever do it. To imagine cinema without Bergman is to imagine the ocean without trenches.
Yeah, but for Bergman I still like his Persona best over his other movies.

As soon as I get paid again I'll be getting Godzilla Minus One on digital. Until then I'm still going through my backlog.

Recently watched John Carpenter's They Live and Prince of Darkness for the first time.

I enjoyed They Live quite a bit. Roddy Piper was pretty good and there was a great fight scene with him and Keith David which hilariously just keeps going everytime you think they're done. Definitely the highlight of the film. Overall its premise is well executed for the most part and has a pretty satisfying ending.

Prince of Darkness felt pretty one note with a pretty monotonous pace. The performances help make me not completely dislike the film, but overall it underwhelms.

Watched Misery as well between these two films. Overall pretty likeable film. James Caan and Kathy Bates are both good in this. Has some decent moments, but I felt Rob Reiner kinda rushes through certain moments that could have been drawn out more to heighten the drama in certain scenes. Not a fan of the direction of the film, but the script was pretty good at least. Never read the book either.

...Just finished watching Life of Pi. Beautiful film.

Last edited:
I mean I've given it a watch in January, and I felt that was good enough, but the movie's digital release gave opportunities to just hunt some interesting shots to mine out of it

So, who else watched Godzilla Minus One last night
I caught it while it was in theaters, but am considering resubscribing to Netflix for it. Especially since the black and white version is apparently coming this summer.

You can buy the black and white version right now on Vudu/Fandango at Home at least. Same with the color version. But rent's due now so I'm waiting until Friday to buy both. It's $15 for each to buy, $6 to rent if you didn't want Netflix.

Edit: Also on Apple tv store too at the same prices for rent and sale.

Last edited:
Watched Godzilla Minus One at last and it was really good. It's easily become one of my favorite Godzilla films, and films in general. I want to rewatch it, probably subtitled (watched the dub with my mom). But maybe I'll wait for the black and white version.

Ended up watching Godzilla Minus One last night.

It was just okay. Pretty emotionally manipulative, cliche, and predictable. Kinda a slog to get through.

I wanted to like this, but good lord, internet hype really misled me here, again.

Hated the main character. The action wasn't even good. Many shots made it seem like a student film to showcase special effects. The film is no better than any Michael Bay film or Jerry Bruckheimer production. It just has better budgetary efficiency.

The film is patronizing melodrama with an overlay of nostalgic kitsch. And there is little to no fun to be had throughout this drek.

Last edited:
Ended up watching Godzilla Minus One last night.

It was just okay. Pretty emotionally manipulative, cliche, and predictable. Kinda a slog to get through.

I wanted to like this, but good lord, internet hype really misled me here, again.

Hated the main character. The action wasn't even good. Many shots made it seem like a student film to showcase special effects. The film is no better than any Michael Bay film or Jerry Bruckheimer production. It just has better budgetary efficiency.

The film is patronizing melodrama with an overlay of nostalgic kitsch. And there is little to no fun to be had throughout this drek.
It's an easy film to find fault with but I enjoyed it (a lot) for what it is, kind of in the same way I enjoy anime.

Watched Beau is Afraid last night. I really enjoyed this movie, it made me laugh a lot and the fantastical sequences were fun to watch. Considering that it's a "weird movie," I never felt like the story was too meandering or hard to grasp. A really impressive writing, filmmaking, and acting job all round imho.

Watched Beau is Afraid last night. I really enjoyed this movie, it made me laugh a lot and the fantastical sequences were fun to watch. Considering that it's a "weird movie," I never felt like the story was too meandering or hard to grasp. A really impressive writing, filmmaking, and acting job all round imho.
Good movie. A three-hour anxiety dream.

Finally watched Furiosa last night, and I liked it.

Is it messy and a bit unwieldy next to Fury Road? Yes, but that movie is a masterclass in narrative economy and minimalist storytelling (with maximalist filmmaking). I like that Furiosa is reaching for something different, and I think that it recontextualizes a lot of the madness of the wasteland in interesting ways. I liked Dementus as a dark mirror image of Max. It feels like the performance Hemsworth has waited his whole career to give.

Good movie. A three-hour anxiety dream.

Finally watched Furiosa last night, and I liked it.

Is it messy and a bit unwieldy next to Fury Road? Yes, but that movie is a masterclass in narrative economy and minimalist storytelling (with maximalist filmmaking). I like that Furiosa is reaching for something different, and I think that it recontextualizes a lot of the madness of the wasteland in interesting ways. I liked Dementus as a dark mirror image of Max. It feels like the performance Hemsworth has waited his whole career to give.
Yeah hearing Hemsworth talk about the role it really sounds like he's been wanting a chance to act his ass off and Miller gave him the chance to just go.

But it's still a recognizably Hemsworth character, like it had to be him, with the cape and everything it's almost like he was playing a The Boys version of Thor 😅

Rewatched Pacific Rim with my mom (it's one of our favorite movies of all time), and yep, it's still really good. We both talked about how we wish the original Pacific Rim sequel could have been made, but. Ah well. Shame how that all worked out.

The Netflix anime from awhile back was alright but nothing has matched the original movie for us. And probably, nothing else made for this franchise ever will.

Awesome movie. Birthday Boy will scare me forever

Caught Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes last weekend, had a pretty good time. The big theatre chain in my area does VIP seating that I finally tried out and it was fun. You get to sit in a power recliner! There's a menu tucked in front of your seat and employees roll by to take your order / deliver booze to you!

Caught Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes last weekend, had a pretty good time. The big theatre chain in my area does VIP seating that I finally tried out and it was fun. You get to sit in a power recliner! There's a menu tucked in front of your seat and employees roll by to take your order / deliver booze to you!
real question, doesn't that take you out of the movie?

real question, doesn't that take you out of the movie?
That's basically the only way I watch movies now, and it doesn't really take you out of it. Other patrons are much more distracting (when I watched Furiosa there was a guy filming scenes on his phone for some fucking reason)

Awesome movie. Birthday Boy will scare me forever

Really enjoyed this, especially how they use the reboot trilogy in as a sort of foundational religious mythology. Cool worldbuilding and the effects work is superb.

I saw Bad Boys 4 and surprisingly enjoyed. I haven’t watched any of the other ones and not really into those kind of action movies but it won me over fast. Thinking if I should watch the others one.

I saw Bad Boys 4 and surprisingly enjoyed. I haven’t watched any of the other ones and not really into those kind of action movies but it won me over fast. Thinking if I should watch the others one.
3 is from the same directors as 4 so you'd probably like it, and the original is oddly subdued for a Michael Bay joint.

2 is the most hedonistic, most misanthropic mainstream I have seen. It starts with Will Smith flinging a KKK robe off, and just escalates from there. Truly the movie of all time, it must be seen to be believe

So, who else watched Godzilla Minus One last night
Watched it today!

It was a cool movie. Post War Tokyo is an interesting setting and while Godzilla is in there, it was mostly a movie about PTSD and survivors guilt. I’m a fan!

Back
Top Bottom