• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Favourite Boss Fights of 2023

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
🚨ALERT!🚨
🚨Open spoilers!🚨
🚨I’m going to post that picture of Jason Alexander playing Metroid Prime to give you one last chance to turn back unspoiled!🚨

RICh7va.jpg

We’ve still got a bit of 2023 to go, but chances are good you’ve fought your share of bosses this year already. Which have been your faves so far?

CEL-240: Armored Core VI
Unsurprisingly, there are lots of great bosses in this FromSoft game! This one wraps the fourth chapter and was my favourite. Super fast, varied move set that really punishes overzealous dodging and it goes ahead and comes back to life with a second, harder form just to prank you — the cherry on top. (ONGBAL makes it look easy, of course.)

Third Boss: Cocoon
Boss fights are the only action in this game, and I particularly liked the third one you come across, which gives you the ability to teleport to your mirrored position in the boss arena. Aside from movement there is a single context-sensitive use button in Cocoon, and I thought this was one of the most clever ways the developers stretched that. (Boss in question is at 5:20 if the timestamp doesn't work.)

IT U-3: Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
A cool reintegration of this fight into the remake, and they absolutely nailed the disgustingness. Capcom is no stranger to gross, creepy crawly animations of course. But this is some great work, regardless!

Looking forward to hearing what has stuck out to you!

Titan and Bahamut were incredible boss fights this year in Final Fantasy XVI. Final boss was awesome too.

I dug the final boss in Pikmin 4 a lot, but conceptually the disco ball spider won my heart.

I don’t remember what it fully entailed anymore, but I remember the final boss (I think it was a tree?) in the Kirby Magalor Epilogue being very good.

The sword fight with Ganondorf, especially when his health bar doubles in the most comical way possible, was one of my favorite parts of Tears of the Kingdom.

Good year for boss fights :)

The Master Kohga fights in TOTK were hilarious, fun and dumb, using all sorts of weird contraptions to face off. You could either use the pre-set ones the games offer you, or create your own abomination to fight! I remember making a deranged speed boat with a gun for the battle on water and laughing my ass off the whole time.

BAHAMUT

All the boss fights in FFXVI are good, but one stands head and shoulders above the rest. The Bahamut fight is a fight scene from DBZ in the best way possible. There’s even a fusion dance! I think it might be the greatest boss fight of all time.

Colgera was the first major boss I fought in Tears of the Kingdom, and my goodness that was hype. Since you just have to dive and avoid attacks, it's not the deepest fight in the game. Still, out of all the fights, it's one of my favorites because it's a such a spectacle.

The sword fight with Ganondorf, especially when his health bar doubles in the most comical way possible
Lmao, somehow I had forgotten about this! That was fantastic.
Titan and Bahamut
I...really need to get a PS5. Every once in a while I have a moment like this when I awaken to the terrible reality that there is an FF I HAVE NOT PLAYED.
CEL-240 was amazing, but I also want to give a shout out to the Balteus fight, because it looks spectacular.
I was really close to just putting three bosses from AC VI in my OP, and Balteus was one of them. That fight truly got me to dig into all of the tools at your disposal, and fall in love with the game in the process! The rematch was fun too. It took me a long time to beat so I wound up taking a looooot of clips and makin' a lot of GIFs. The missile rain 😘👌

TTvcpeP.gif

I'm going to echo the posts in this thread and mention both Bahamut from FFXVI and Colgera from TotK. Amazing boss fights.

I knock Balteus down a peg because it's a pain in the neck XD
#BalteusDidNothingWrong

On a more serious note, I enjoyed the fight well enough in its original version, but I still appreciate that they tweaked the fight to make it more approachable and less rage-inducing.

The King Gleeok in TotK and Ancient Sirehound in Pikmin 4 both stand out to me as amazing fights.

I think Colgera from TotK has to be my favorite so far. Being my first boss fight of the game, the music and scale were just such a breath of fresh air compared to the Blight Ganons from BotW. A great early impression for how TotK was gonna amp things up.

The Ancient Sirehound was also a really pleasant surprise. The Pikmin games have always had this subtext of being a sort of warped mirror of the Mario games, and Pikmin 4's final boss gave me big "Bowser boss fight" vibes.

Lastly, need to shout out the true final boss of Advance Wars 1+2, Eagle in the mission Rivals, who I still have not managed to beat.

Octopath Traveler 2's final boss and it's not even close

The fight offers a supreme level of hype that few games can match, just an incredible way to cap off one of the best RPGs around

I'm not even gonna talk about it in spoiler tags because it's something you just gotta see for yourself
Lastly, need to shout out the true final boss of Advance Wars 1+2, Eagle in the mission Rivals, who I still have not managed to beat.
Having beat that mission recently, the best advice I can give is that you need to take the airport in the middle of the map ASAP, that should be your sole focus at the start. Once its captured, you'll have a good foothold to curb the enemy flying units before they can get very far, then you can start rolling out tanks to begin pushing back the enemy ground forces

Haven’t really played many games with notable boss fights this year, but of the few that I have, Tears of the Kingdom definitely stands out. Colgera, Queen Gibdo, and Ganondorf were all great.

I don't think anything this year will top this, an incredible emotional spectacle from start to finish, probably the peak moment of the entire series surpassing the final battle of windwaker. AND THEN THE FUCKING BLOOD MOON APPEARS AND THE MUSIC PICKS UP AND HOLY SHIT THIS IS INCREDIBLE.
Zelda tears of the kingdom is a good game.

For me, it's gotta be Colgera and Ganondorf from TotK. Ganondorf especially, just a franchise peak of spectacle, emotion, and the developers having fun like comically extending the health bar lol

GANONDORF!

He flurry-rushes you, his healthbar leaves the freaking screen behind, and then he turns into a Dragon at the end and you have to fly on Zelda and dive through the sky to land on top of him. Plus the music! Brilliant.

Ganondorf was incredible but everyone has already mentioned him so I'm gonna say Supreme/The End from Sonic Frontiers Update 3.
Aside from the weak point having to be targeted in an obtuse way, the fight is just great. I love how the Titan goes from humanoid to scuttling around like a spider. Sonic crushing Supreme up against The End's moon form with a snap of his fingers and parrying with a lazy backhand is just so cool, Sonic Team made sure to make the spectacle as absolutely sick as possible.
...camera could have been better though.

Also Pizza Face from Pizza Tower is a perfect sendoff to that great game, with one of the best boss rushes I've ever played thrown in the middle. Unexpectancy is such a banger too.

Nothing mechanically has blown me away as much as some of the Elden Ring fights last year, but both my favorite fights of the year are probably a good 70% down to just the music:

- Colgera, TOTK: Amazingly fun fight with the flying/diving through weak points, and when that choir kicks in with the Dragon Roost theme music? Hoooo boy is it incredible.

- Agnea's final boss fight in Octopath Traveler 2: The boss fight itself isn't anything too special, but the way it builds up to it, and then THIS SONG:

I just sat there for a while listening to the music before I even started fighting. This whole ending sequence ratcheted Agnea's arc up a few pegs for me, when I was pretty down on it overall.

🚨ALERT!🚨
🚨Open spoilers!🚨
🚨I’m going to post that picture of Jason Alexander playing Metroid Prime to give you one last chance to turn back unspoiled!🚨

RICh7va.jpg
I can't read this thread (I'll admit: these spoilers are making me thirsty!), but I'm just here to thank you for kicking it off like this. 🙌

Weird one because it's basically a standard enemy that's been in the series for a long time now but the Baldy Long Legs(?) boss in the Primordial Thicket overworld was really, really good. After the game was mostly spoonfeeding the players in the overworld with minimal or overly easy bosses, it was cool to have a boss where Oatchi is essentially sort of taken away and you have to defeat it yourself. The atmosphere of being able to see it from far away and then it disappearing to surprise attack you if you didn't know it was near there earlier in the level is really cool, it reminded me of Pikmin 1 a lot and I wish there were more bosses like it.

Beyond what was already mentioned, mainly FFXVI and Calgera in TOTK, I haven't been that impressed by many boss fights this year.

Haven't played Armored Core yet though !

Here's hoping this Friday between SMB Wonder and Spider-Man 2 we'll have some cool bosses. Electro/Vulture team up was pretty fun and impressive in the first game.

I wanted to come into the thread with maybe a weird game, but I've been playing Cocoon for a few hours and the bossfights are thrilling me in a way that few games have in the past years. Alien, inventive and just the right side of mildly challenging while you can't really die. But then I see it's the second point of the OP, so maybe not that weird.

Back
Top Bottom