• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Week 8, 2023 sales (Feb. 13-19)

Luminoth9090

Moblin
Banned

Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2023 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 36.958 / 104.154 (-45%)
02./00. [PS5] Wild Hearts <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2023.02.17} (¥8.818) - 26.905 / NEW
03./02. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 23.593 / 4.860.103 (-19%)
04./00. [NSW] Tales of Symphonia Remastered # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2023.02.16} (¥4.980) - 21.860 / NEW
05./03. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 12.958 / 3.889.142 (-3%)
06./00. [NSW] Theatrhythm Final Bar Line <ACT> (Square Enix) {2023.02.16} (¥5.800) - 11.565 / NEW
07./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.227 / 5.163.206 (-22%)
08./00. [PS4] Tales of Symphonia Remastered # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2023.02.16} (¥4.980) - 7.503 / NEW
09./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 6.573 / 3.046.881 (-13%)
10./07. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 5.773 / 1.007.103 (-19%)

Top 10

NSW - 7
PS5 - 2
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE
1GXBrBK.jpg

Genuinely feel bad for anyone paying money for the TOS port in its current state.

Good week for PS5 hardware, software is still pretty limp. That nearly 3:1 split between ToS for Switch and PS4/PS5 is oof.

Tales of symphonia is a remaster that's happening almost entirely off the back of nostalgia for the GameCube game, which is always where it was a success before. It'd be way bigger news if it weren't so heavily lopsided!

Tales of symphonia is a remaster that's happening almost entirely off the back of nostalgia for the GameCube game, which is always where it was a success before. It'd be way bigger news if it weren't so heavily lopsided!
In Japan the game sold significantly better on PS2 (and later PS3 with the remaster), so I don't think there's that much GameCube nostalgia at play.

So are people still thinking The Game That Shall Not Be Named was supply constrained?

Good week for PS5 hardware, software is still pretty limp. That nearly 3:1 split between ToS for Switch and PS4/PS5 is oof.
Yes? We don't need to speculate that, we know it based upon last weeks sell through (80%-100%) and reports of copies being back ordered. Japanese retailers clearly hit the panic "send us more asap" button before launch so there wasn't as big a gap between launch units and the first restock.

So are people still thinking The Game That Shall Not Be Named was supply constrained?
it absolutely was

The PS5 really was supply constrained in Japan, it has been very consistent with its numbers. Give it a month or two and we will begin seeing the PS5 software overtake Switch by a landslide.
lol, no. games have to be announced for that and there aren't many games for PS5 that have that potential

Yes? We don't need to speculate that, we know it based upon last weeks sell through (80%-100%) and reports of copies being back ordered. Japanese retailers clearly hit the panic "send us more asap" button before launch so there wasn't as big a gap between launch units and the first restock.
Ahhh, I hadn’t seen the sell through numbers. My bad.

Stuffs foot in mouth

The PS5 really was supply constrained in Japan, it has been very consistent with its numbers. Give it a month or two and we will begin seeing the PS5 software overtake Switch by a landslide.
PS5 gonna be the Jeb Bush of hardware and software sales in a month.

Nice to see a bit of change after 6 years of utter domination by Nintendo. I doubt that Sony will ever be competitive again in Japan, but when it will have stock and a popular and/or a good game releasing simultaneously, it will sell very decently.

Just read up on the Tales-issues. BN getting rewarded with these numbers is a shame and has me worried for Baten Kaitos 😔

Give it a month or two and we will begin seeing the PS5 software overtake Switch by a landslide
I did a double take. Only a few PS5 games even manage to hit 100K units. No way PS5 software can overtake Switch, unless FFXVI is a megahit, and even it’ll be up against TotK.

PS5 hardware YTD can feasibly overtake Switch hardware YTD, though.

No way PS5 software can overtake Switch, unless FFXVI is a megahit

I’m not holding my breath for XVI’s numbers in Japan. The series is well off from being a sales juggernaut in Japan like it was in the PS1/PS2 era. Doesn’t help that the LTD hardware sales for PS5 are absolutely going to clip the opening week numbers relative to previous launches.

The game will do well in the rest of the world but it’s not going to be a high watermark for franchise sales in Japan.

Really sad to see Theatrhythm bomb like that. I hope Octopath II does better.
I hope so. I don't fully trust preorders but they aren't even close to the last 2 TA games, Live a Live and TS. Those did 71k+ and 86k+ on their opening week.

Even with 3 versions, I think we get around 60-65k. Granted this is all without digital so it might have a bigger opening. Or like recent SE, they barely ship copies and retailers have to scramble.

Really sad to see Theatrhythm bomb like that. I hope Octopath II does better.
As sad as it sounds, but in this economy, I don't see many people buying "just another rhythm game".

As much as people say about open worlds, there is a huge reason why they became so popular in 2008-2015. People wanted games that lasted longer because it was getting harder to afford gaming due to the recession. And its really hard not to see why. I know there has been a pushback for "smaller" games, without as many varied activities. But I feel that they will be even more prevalent yet again as our economy is struggling.

It's a lot harder to do a 1-trick pony that does only one thing, even if it is absurdly polished, and has a lot of content to offer.

Hogwarts Legacy moderation policy reminder.
Staff Communication

Please note, we aren’t interested in hosting discussion of Hogwarts Legacy beyond what can’t be avoided due to the nature of a charts thread. Please see this pinned notice and point 2 in particular:
This means that we will discourage and moderate active discussion surrounding the game. While we won’t actively target throwaway mentions of the game, we will action things such as:

2. Posts that are a direct or indirect starting point for discussion about the game.

https://famiboards.com/threads/impo...arding-discussion-about-hogwarts-legacy.5339/
-PixelKnight, Derachi, Harina

Last edited:
I did a double take. Only a few PS5 games even manage to hit 100K units. No way PS5 software can overtake Switch, unless FFXVI is a megahit, and even it’ll be up against TotK.

PS5 hardware YTD can feasibly overtake Switch hardware YTD, though.
waiting for that 30/30 PS5 sweep
360_F_292562086_m4mWCmw3Pv0wwlFsAxxttSLPHNsQ3O7g.jpg

Game sold very well on PS2. Its true that it would be big news in Japan if a multiplatform game sold better on Playstation than on Switch.

And Bayo 3 appears once again!

29./00. [NSW] Bayonetta 3 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.10.28} (¥6.980) - 1.613 / 68.498 <60-80%>
00./29. [NSW] Bayonetta 3 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.10.28} (¥6.980) - 1.362 / 69.860
30./00. [NSW] Bayonetta 3 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.10.28} (¥6.980) - 1.582 / 71.442 <60-80%>

Wild Hearts sell through was 80-100%, which means it was undershipped or didn't have that much stock to begin with. But it essentially sold what was out there.
So, considering the PS5 software situation in Japan, I could see Wild Hearts not having a lot of stock because they didn’t expect it to sell a lot in the first place. It didn’t really do too bad, it’s more a problem with the PS ecoystem. We’ll see how week 2 goes.

Wild Hearts sell through was 80-100%, which means it was undershipped or didn't have that much stock to begin with. But it essentially sold what was out there.
Thank you for the update on that. Appreciate it.

JRPGs almost always sell better on Switch.

Especially if they're remasters of Gamecube titles.
JRPGs sell better on Switch. Point.

The games connection to GameCube are decades old. The PS2 version sold more in Japan and the PS3 version was big too. Other Tales games remaster sold more on Switch too.

Its more about the fact that the latest Tales game did not release for Switch, which was a strange and hilarious decision.

Back
Top Bottom