• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu week 46 (Nov 8-14): SMTV 143k, Mario Party Superstars 45k, NSW DQX: Heavenly Heroes Online 22.7k

Even being slightly over IV (it probably isn’t) isn’t really that good. This is a disappointing result for Japan considering the marketing, higher mind share of shin megami tensei in general since P5 and the Switch boost countless franchises have received.

Although this is probably more a result of the current state of the Japanese videogame market as your others examples might point towards (historical highs worldwide vs decrease in sales in Japan)

I am not dooming for the franchise though. I can easily see SMT V reaching 2 million worldwide.
Retailers in Japan didn't expect it to match SMT IV as the maximum possible stock was 179,000. This definitely was not overshipped and with digital could have matched SMT IV. That's a pretty good result in my book.

Level 5 should release a new Layton, I'm sure it would do well thanks to nostalgia.
the did Lady Layton, which didn't do as well. and I'm not sure if they can really replicate the success of early Layton at this point, puzzle maker's death notwithstanding

At this point it's a question of months before they go bankruptcy
Layton isn't gonna save them at that point. they need someone to prop them up, be it Bamco, Nintendo, Tencent, whoever. but I don't think they'd be worth it. maybe Netmarble since they made and published the Ninokuni mobile game?

Layton isn't gonna save them at that point. they need someone to prop them up, be it Bamco, Nintendo, Tencent, whoever. but I don't think they'd be worth it. maybe Netmarble since they made and published the Ninokuni mobile game?
Weren't they the ones behind DQ VIII and IX ? What a downfall.
iirc they were recruiting for a brand new RPG mobile game so there's a possibility that they decided to work with netmarble now, ninokuni : cross world's did good number when it released.

Dread hangs in there on the top 30 for another week. And Superstars trending higher than Super Mario Party in week 2.

Feel like I'm missing something wrt Level 5 discourse, though. Someone wanna fill me in?

Last edited:
Dread hangs in there on the top 30 for another week. And Superstars trending higher than Super Mario Party in week 2.

Feel like I'm missing something wrt Level 5 discourse, though. Someone wanna fill me in?

I guess that Dread will sell around 1-2k a week for the rest of the year. Not bad for a franchise that never has legs in Japan.

I wonder if it will sell 5k during Xmas week

Even being slightly over IV (it probably isn’t) isn’t really that good. This is a disappointing result for Japan considering the marketing, higher mind share of shin megami tensei in general since P5 and the Switch boost countless franchises have received.

Although this is probably more a result of the current state of the Japanese videogame market as your others examples might point towards (historical highs worldwide vs decrease in sales in Japan)

I am not dooming for the franchise though. I can easily see SMT V reaching 2 million worldwide.

No, what I pointed out is that the "Switch boost" is not really a thing in comparison to 3DS in Japan, because the 3DS was already a massive success in Japan. The current state of the Japanese market is one that is actually stronger than a few years ago.

If it did do slightly over IV(which it probably didn't to be honest) it would be the best debut for the franchise ever, not sure how that could be considered bad.

L5 would be great making Pokémon. I bet it would look incredible, not to dump on ILCA or anything.

It looks like SMTV is doing well in Europe: 3rd on the Spanish retail chart. Atlus and Nintendo must be liking that.

EDIT: SMTV did better in Spain during launch week than Persona 5 Strikers! That's really good news for Atlus.

It looks like SMTV is doing well in Europe: 3rd on the Spanish retail chart. Atlus and Nintendo must be liking that.

EDIT: SMTV did better in Spain during launch week than Persona 5 Strikers! That's really good news for Atlus.

It did better than every JRPG this year AFAIK, including Tales, Bravely and Monster Hunter Stories 2.

It did better than every JRPG this year AFAIK, including Tales, Bravely and Monster Hunter Stories 2.
This bodes well. SMTV is extremely good. Lots of positive WoM and decent marketing from Atlus and Nintendo. Should easily sell 1m+ and become the best selling SMT game by a long shot.

I did my part by buying it and shamelessly shilling it to all my friends

It's a shame SMTV isn't showing any growth in Japan but I'm still confident it can break 2 million WW, which would be an incredible performance for the series.

It's an incredible franchise and deserves all the sales and attention it can get.

I think people had too high expectations for SMT5. an ASP of $100+ and yet only 40K under the 3DS game (ASP was ~$60) is pretty good, IMO

Sorry if I missed it, but what's the current series record for SMT? Best I could find was 590k globally for SMTIV, from VGChartz. I reckon SMT5 should be able to top that with ease given Switch's huge advantage over 3DS in the West.

Sorry if I missed it, but what's the current series record for SMT? Best I could find was 590k globally for SMTIV, from VGChartz. I reckon SMT5 should be able to top that with ease given Switch's huge advantage over 3DS in the West.
600K+ for SMT4

600K+ for SMT4

Thanks; this was over 2 years after it released and JRPGs tend to be frontloaded so that's probably close to its final lifetime sales. I think SMT5 can top that.

Thanks; this was over 2 years after it released and JRPGs tend to be frontloaded so that's probably close to its final lifetime sales. I think SMT5 can top that.

It's going to do that easily, most likely. As mentioned above, it's launch was better than several other JRPGS we know passed the 1m mark this year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom