• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu week 46 (Nov 8-14): SMTV 143k, Mario Party Superstars 45k, NSW DQX: Heavenly Heroes Online 22.7k

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Software:
1. NSW Shin Megami Tensei V 143,247
2. Mario Party Superstars 45,045/289,700
3. NSW Dragon Quest X: Heavenly Heroes Online 22,702
4. Ring Fit Adventure 12,921/2,909,153
5. PS4 Dragon Quest X: Heavenly Heroes Online 11,791
6. PS4 Call of Duty Vanguard 11,719/40,040
7. Animal Crossing New Horizons 9,286/6,934,540
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 8,886/4,132,260
9. Minecraft 8,798/2,269,592
10. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 8,608/4,498,118

Hardware:
*Switch family 87,267 (this week) , 4,518,618 (YTD)
Switch OLED 23,708 (this week), 308,205 (YTD)
PS5 (all varieties) 4,910 (this week), 917,788 (YTD)
Xbox Series 2,593 (this week); 87,291 (YTD)

Last edited:
2021-11-18-14-03-33.jpg
Wii U remaining winning (from Hiska-kun's chart from Install Base)

SMT isn't terrible. the game is $90 and digital isn't any cheaper. let's hope second week holds decently (but it's a JRPG...)

Fs in chat for Hino tho

Good results for SMT V. We should consider that digital sales are not included and who knows the sales here.

And keep in mind that digital sales have increased since SMT IV, now more people buy digitally than before.

Good results for SMT V. We should consider that digital sales are not included and who knows the sales here.

And keep in mind that digital sales have increased since SMT IV, now more people buy digitally than before.
Digital sales are probably going to be 20 to 30% so with digital it's probably in the 180k-200k range.

Why the hell is the game 90 bucks? Are they crazy?
japan, home of the variable price ranges. given the drop in sales compared to SMT4 (which was like $65), SMT5 did pretty damn well. and then there's the more expensive collector's edition

Digital sales are probably going to be 20 to 30% so with digital it's probably in the 180k-200k range.
with the price of the digital version, digital is gonna be on the low end

I'm happy to see Mario Party Superstars doing well. Been playing a bunch of that with my kids and it is extremely fun.

Said on Installbase but SMTV is a bit lower than expected but should still be the second best debut for the series by a comfortable margin.

SMTIV was really successful, and 3DS in general was very strong in Japan.

Said on Installbase but SMTV is a bit lower than expected but should still be the second best debut for the series by a comfortable margin.

I'm actually surprised that I came within 247 units of a correct prediction of this on Install Base. (I was 15k over on PS4 CoD Vanguard, 3k under on PS5 CoD Vanguard). I'd laugh if I was close on BDSP because I did a 1,169,169 prediction for the memes.

there won't be a high digital ratio. this game is $90 there too
Unless the prices are different between physical and digital (are they? I don't know) that shouldn't affect the digital ratio. If a game is expensive it will affect both those who buy physical and those who buy digital, it won't deter only the digital copies' buyers. I expect the digital ratio to be consistent with "Switch era" which is significantly higher than it was before, therefore the impact of the digital should reduce the gap we see from the physical sales.

Of course I could be wrong and the digital crowd is much more price sensitive, meaning digital would be lower than (current) usual.

damn that’s a kind of a bad result for SMT V :(

Let’s hope digital makes up for it.

At least it seems to be doing way way better in the west.

Unless the prices are different between physical and digital (are they? I don't know) that shouldn't affect the digital ratio. If a game is expensive it will affect both those who buy physical and those who buy digital, it won't deter only the digital copies' buyers. I expect the digital ratio to be consistent with "Switch era" which is significantly higher than it was before, therefore the impact of the digital should reduce the gap we see from the physical sales.

Of course I could be wrong and the digital crowd is much more price sensitive, meaning digital would be lower than (current) usual.
they definitely seem to be more price sensitive. games that have digital discounts (either normally or via vouchers) have higher digital sales. SMT being a JRPG, those slant towards lower digital sales for reselling purposes

Higher sales in overseas markets might also power the game along - we saw a good debut for it in the UK, though I haven't seen figures from anywhere else, yet.

Why is SMT V so expensive in Japan? Do they think that the game will only appeal to a small but hardcore group of people so might as well squeeze as much money out of them as they can?

Higher sales in overseas markets might also power the game along - we saw a good debut for it in the UK, though I haven't seen figures from anywhere else, yet.

Oh, it will be by far the best selling game in the franchise worldwide.

iirc, RPGs tend to be more expensive than other games in Japan.
So does Japan still do the thing from the SNES days where "longer"/"complex" games are more expensive? For example, FFVI (III here) was more expensive than say, a four hour platformer.

SMT V no doubt made the most money of any release so far, but it's still a bit disappointing that it couldn't beat IV in units since digital is probably not high.

3rth best week for a SMT game excluding Digital, that's not what I'd call " bad results "
Third best in a series of 5? With the switch / hd / marketing / persona 5 mindshare bump?

I think unfortunately this result is bad. But it seems to be doing way better in the west. Who knows why Japan didn’t warm up to V.

I wanted to see that the audience and appetite for a new Shin Megami Tensei had grown, extending the series trend throughout its storied and staggered release history. I was looking forward to a ~200k first week. That Atlus would be rewarded for their most ambitious non-Persona title yet (and maybe most ambitious, period? Seems like all of their non-Persona personnel were channeled into this game), which they delivered on.

But alas.

Was I wrong ... no. No, it is the Japanese gamers and switch owners who are wrong.

Third best in a series of 5? With the switch / hd / marketing / persona 5 mindshare bump?

I think unfortunately this result is bad. But it seems to be doing way better in the west. Who knows why Japan didn’t warm up to V.

Third best physical only, SMTIV had minimal digital(3DS game in 2013) and the rest had no digital. Once digital would be including it's easily the second best and possibly on par with the best.

Also being a hd game has no positive effect on games in Japan, and 3DS was already a massive success in Japan. Games like Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem and the recent Monster Hunter Stories 2 all sold less physical copies than their 3DS counterparts.

Third best physical only, SMTIV had minimal digital(3DS game in 2013) and the rest had no digital. Once digital would be including it's easily the second best and possibly on par with the best.

Also being a hd game has no positive effect on games in Japan, and 3DS was already a massive success in Japan. Games like Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem and the recent Monster Hunter Stories 2 all sold less physical copies than their 3DS counterparts.
Yeah come on people, don't go full doomer mode here. Keep a level head.

Ouch at those PS5 numbers. Less than double Xbox in Japan is just surreal to see.

Switch accounts for approximately 90% of all Japanese hardware this week.

Ouch at those PS5 numbers. Less than double Xbox in Japan is just surreal to see.

Switch accounts for approximately 90% of all Japanese hardware this week.
Makes sense that Sony would want more PS5 stock for US and UK so Japan probably got allocated less (and with how dismally PS5 software is selling in Japan, that's not a surprise.).

Makes sense that Sony would want more PS5 stock for US and UK so Japan probably got allocated less (and with how dismally PS5 software is selling in Japan, that's not a surprise.).
I get the reason why, it's just still sobering to see it so low.

Famitsu week 46 (Nov 8-14) Top 30
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-11-8-21-11-14-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V – 143,247 / NEW
2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 45,045 / 289,700
3. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Heroes of the Heavenly Stars Online – 22,702 / NEW
4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 12,921 / 2,909,153
5. [PS4] Dragon Quest X Heroes of the Heavenly Stars Online – 11,791 / NEW
6. [PS4] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 11,719 / 40,040
7. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 9,286 / 6,934,540
8. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8,886 / 4,132,260
9. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,798 / 2,269,592
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 8,608 / 4,498,118
11. [NSW] Megaton Musashi – 7,730 / NEW
12. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 6,768 / 4,189,639
13. [NSW] Laid-Back Camp: Have a Nice Day! – 6,683 / NEW
14. [NSW] Super Robot Wars 30 – 4,383 / 87,311
15. [NSW] Danganronpa Decadence – 4,305 / 25,243
16. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 4,270 / 2,418,022
17. [PS4] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 3,726 / 129,052
18. [PS4] Megaton Musashi – 3,648 / NEW
19. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legend Pack – 3,645 / 15,812
20. [PS5] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 3,470 / 16,224
21. [PS4] Super Robot Wars 30 – 3,275 / 72,003
22. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 3,214 / 919,131
23. [PS4] Laid-Back Camp: Have a Nice Day! – 3,083 / NEW
24. [NSW] Labyrinth of Galleria: Coven of Dusk – 2,962 / NEW
25. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,603 / 826,104
26. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 2,244 / 163,022
27. [NSW] Metroid Dread – 2,152 / 130,409
28. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town – 2,002 / 309,722
29. [PS4] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water – 1,991 / 28,322
30. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 1,936 / 3,965,433

NS - 22

PS4 - 7

PS5 - 1

Last edited:
Oh god, poor Level 5 :(

It's a shame, Megaton Musashi's artstyle is so nice (that's always a strong point with L5 actually). I was hoping I would get to play it, but with those numbers, I don't see it going anywhere.

Even being slightly over IV (it probably isn’t) isn’t really that good. This is a disappointing result for Japan considering the marketing, higher mind share of shin megami tensei in general since P5 and the Switch boost countless franchises have received.

Although this is probably more a result of the current state of the Japanese videogame market as your others examples might point towards (historical highs worldwide vs decrease in sales in Japan)

I am not dooming for the franchise though. I can easily see SMT V reaching 2 million worldwide.

Even being slightly over IV (it probably isn’t) isn’t really that good. This is a disappointing result for Japan considering the marketing, higher mind share of shin megami tensei in general since P5 and the Switch boost countless franchises have received.

Although this is probably more a result of the current state of the Japanese videogame market as your others examples might point towards (historical highs worldwide vs decrease in sales in Japan)

I am not dooming for the franchise though. I can easily see SMT V reaching 2 million worldwide.
considering the ASP is over $100, this is a good result

Back
Top Bottom