• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb. 25 - Mar. 3)

llkGemc.png

【ソフト&ハード週間販売数】待望の発売を迎えた『FF7 リバース』首位スタート! 新作『ゴブリンスレイヤー』『マツリカの炯-kEi- 天命胤異伝』もトップ10入り【2/26~3/3】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通発表の売上ランキング。今回は2024年2月26日~3月3日のゲームソフト&ハード週間推定販売数まとめをお届け。​

www-famitsu-com.translate.goog
www-famitsu-com.​

[Software & Hardware Weekly Sales] The long-awaited release of FF7 Rebirth starts at the top! New title "Goblin Slayer" and "Matsuurika no Kei -kEi- Tenmeitane Iden" also enter the top 10 [2/26-3/3]​

Sales ranking announced by Famitsu. This time we bring you a summary of estimated weekly game software and hardware sales from February 26th to March 3rd, 2024.

Among the remake trilogy of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, the sequel to FF7 Remake released in 2020, took the top spot for the first time. It got off to a strong start by selling 262,656 copies.

Following on from 2nd place were Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Momotaro Dentetsu World: The Earth Rotates with Hope!'' and other regular top 10 titles, 7th and 9th place are Goblin Slayer and Matsuurika no Kei -kEi- Tenmeitane Iden which appears for the first time.

The former is a tactics RPG that takes advantage of the world setting of the popular dark fantasy anime Goblin Slayer, the latter is a romance adventure game set in a fictional race and country and both are titles that will make you curious about their future sales.

In addition Crayon Shin-chan: Shiro of Charcoal Town which is in its second week of release is in 6th place and Splatoon 3 which has been revived with the distribution of paid additional content is in 8th place.

Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb 26 - Mar 03)​

Software​

1st PS5 Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
262,656 (total 262,656) New / Square Enix / February 29, 2024

2nd Switch Mario vs. Donkey Kong
14,480 (total 103,523) -47% / Nintendo / February 16, 2024

3rd Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11,643 (total 1,767,792) +6% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

4th Switch Momotaro Dentetsu World: electric railway ~The earth revolves around hope! ~
9,708 (total 998,957) +16% / KONAMI / November 16, 2023

5th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9,251 (total 5,728,200) +14% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

6th Switch Crayon Shin-chan “Shiro of Charcoal Town”
7,352 (total 28,945) -66% / Neos / February 22, 2024

7th Switch Goblin Slayer -ANOTHER ADVENTURER- NIGHTMARE FEAST
6,822 (total 6,822) New / Bushiroad / February 29, 2024

8th) Switch Splatoon 3
5,613 (total 4,239,708) +7% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

9th Switch Matsurika no Kei -kEi- Tenmeitane Iden
5,537 (total 5,537) New / Idea Factory / February 29, 2024

10th Switch Minecraft
5,468 (total 3,458,115) +0% / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

Hardware​

• Switch - 4,302 (total 19,733,798)
  • Switch Lite - 6,979 (total 5,759,478)
  • Switch Oled - 51,250 (total 6,787,979)
  • PS5 - 41,786 (total 4,613,083)
  • PS5 DE - 6,281 (total 732,266)
  • Xbox Series X - 1,130 (total 257,671)
  • Xbox Series S - 1,221 (total 303,471)
  • PS4 - 1,722 (total 7,922,006)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 13 (total 1,192,865)

cj7kMSz.png

Last edited:
I guess a lot of people went to buy a switch to play the new final fantasy and then they found out that it didn’t release on that console.
Jokes aside this is just pathetic for square, they pretty much completely killed their number 1 franchise in japan, but this is even lower than expected.
The remake of super mario rpg has outsold the open world AAA remake of final fantasy 7, it’s absurd to think about.

I pointed this out on Install Base, but FFVII Rebirth actually debuted lower than Super Mario RPG’s remake.

02./00. [NSW] Super Mario RPG <RPG> (Nintendo) {2023.11.17} (¥5.980) - 301.334 / NEW <60-80%>

01./00. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8.980) - 262.656 / NEW

I hope SE got a nice check from Sony for these exclusivity deals, because this is not doing them any favor for long term growth.

Good hardware week for the Switch somehow.

I pointed this out on Install Base, but FFVII Rebirth actually debuted lower than Super Mario RPG’s remake.

02./00. [NSW] Super Mario RPG <RPG> (Nintendo) {2023.11.17} (¥5.980) - 301.334 / NEW <60-80%>

01./00. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth <RPG> (Square Enix) {2024.02.29} (¥8.980) - 262.656 / NEW
Super Mario RPG was a finished game.
Imagen how much more profit Nintendo made on SM RPG.

The only hope for FF is to go turn based and release on Xbox, Switch 2, and Steam.

Are there any games with sales potential till Monster Hunter for PS?
And I do not think that even Monster Hunter can save PS5 in Japan.
Tbh even Nintendo wouldn’t be able to save ps5 if they released splatoon and pokemon on there. The console just does not sell software, the fact that we still won’t have a game selling over 500k retail on ps5 in japan let alone 1mil is pretty damning for Sony’s future in that market.

Rebirth was always going to be a harder sell than Remake. It's a direct sequel to a story heavy game that takes at least 30 hours to complete. People aren't going to want to jump into the middle of the story, even if the sequel is better in a lot of ways. Getting into Rebirth properly is expensive and time consuming if you haven't already played Remake.

It makes sense that Rebirth would open less than 16, given that it’s a sequel and a reimagining of a classic. However, it’s sad to see the continuous decline of the IP, and the PS5 numbers are especially bad as well.

Rebirth is the biggest exclusive that PS5 has this year, and the Switch outsold it because of a png of a new Pokemon game

Metaphor probably

Pokemon with no footage did more for switch than a critically acclaimed remake of an industry defining title did for playstation. wow

Lower than Remake was expected. But lower than XVI? Now that is a problem.
I also don't see digital being the saving grace here, at least not enough to push it beyond XVI.

And Sony can't be happy with that whelming HW sales bump, especially when Nintendo got a similar one without any new game release at all.

Capcom got the hint, SEGA/Atlus seemingly got the hint ... it's time for SQEX to get the hint too. Limiting your potential customer base for whatever arbitrary reasons and/or misaligned loyality to another company is the fault of them, and no one else.

If some of your creatives want to work for/with company X so bad, tell them to apply there.

I wonder how far we're away from a Team Asano game opening higher in Japan.

E:

I just saw a picture of a Moogle from Rebirth. What in the love of god is that thing?

Something makes me think MonHun will do much better.

Though for how much of a HW bump it will bring, it depends if Capcom plans a Switch 2 version or not. I could see Sony trying to buy some exclusivity again, or at least have a potential Switch 2 version be late or cancelled.

But if i was one of their decision makers at Capcom, i'd laugh Sony out of the building if they were trying to buy "exclusivity" in Japan/Asia similar to World.

The decision of making FF VII remake in three parts always sounded incredibly stupid to me. Having to wait 10+ years for the conclusion of the project turned me off completely from it.

They could have done FF VII all in one game, have it out by 2020 to high praises with both old and new fans on board, and then gone on to remaking FFVIII, IX, VI and the other popular entries with high production values, and we would be probably living a FF renaissance right now. Instead, VII went from the most hyped remake of all time to another commonplace series, each game gets less hype and diminishing sales as it's limited to the audience who played the previous games, and XVI seems to completely fail to understand why people liked FF.

The decision of making FF VII remake in three parts always sounded incredibly stupid to me. Having to wait 10+ years for the conclusion of the project turned me off completely from it.

They could have done FF VII all in one game, have it out by 2020 to high praises with both old and new fans on board, and then gone on to remaking FFVIII, IX, VI and the other popular entries with high production values, and we would be probably living a FF renaissance. Instead, VII went from the most hyped remake of all time to another commonplace series, each game gets less hype and diminishing sales as it's limites to the audience who played the previous games, and XVI seems to completely understand why people liked FF.

FF7 Remake is not a remake.

Quoted by: Leo
Japan was around 30% of part 1 sales. Losses here will have to be made up elsewhere and considering what we have from Europe so far, it’s below part 1 there too

Even having no stakes in the PS eco system. I think it would be better for the Japan market to have better physical software sales numbers for games on Playstation. It can't be healthy to have one system dominate the market. Regardless whose system it is.
The big question is how can Playstation archive this.

Obviously the next FF just needs to add Geno and Mallow and the series will be back on top

Switch 2024 tracking in line with Switch 2018 is interesting. Obviously, 2024 is going to fall back considerably come the holiday season, but it's doing decently for a system that's just entered its 8th year and is tracking to be the best-ever selling console in Japan (and maybe worldwide, too).

Rebirth is a great game, and would certainly have deserved more sales than FF XVI imo. But Japan is a weird market nowadays, and I'm sure it'll be more successful everywhere else.

maxresdefault.jpg

Rebirth was always going to be a harder sell than Remake. It's a direct sequel to a story heavy game that takes at least 30 hours to complete. People aren't going to want to jump into the middle of the story, even if the sequel is better in a lot of ways. Getting into Rebirth properly is expensive and time consuming if you haven't already played Remake.
My sentiments exactly. And don’t sequels underperform next to the original anyways?

FF bros, I'm not feeling good
Dragon Quest executives should take a chance to develop a game or free under the FF brand

Quoted by: Leo
From InstallBase Forum: 1st Week Sales

Dec 2009 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1.501.964 (Media Create)
Nov 2016 [PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 (Famitsu)
Apr 2020 [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 (Famitsu)
Jun 2023 [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 336.027 (Famitsu)
Feb 2024 [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 262.656 (Famitsu)

Last edited:
it's a sequel in the same way Rebuild of Evangelion is a sequel

A technical discussion of what the game actually is is irrelevant to my point, it's clearly underperforming and the project had potential to do much better if it wasn't mismanaged, is what I'm saying.

FF7R2 is extremely fun focused and silly and is terrified of showing violence and sadness (to the point of ruining many iconic moments), do you follow these games at all.

Not this user, but most people who follow sales don't follow the actual games as we've seen on some other forums and threads.

FF7R2 is extremely fun focused and silly and is terrified of showing violence and sadness (to the point of ruining many iconic moments), do you follow these games at all.

I was referring more to XVI and the general trend of SE trying to make their AAA games more appealing to western audiences.

I was referring more to XVI and the general trend of SE trying to make their AAA games more appealing to western audiences.

I mean, FF16 tries to rip off Bayonetta in terms of gameplay so I'm not sure how coherent they were in trying to appeal to western audiences.

Back
Top Bottom