• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2023 (Nov. 13-19)

I’ve been in Smash speculation cycles long enough to know the opposite will happen.
You know what, as someone who hung around smashboards during the ultimate era, you’re probably right. Then again, I have actually seen tons of old smash boards Geno warriors at peace after this announcement, so I guess we’ll see once smash 6 or whatever is revealed

Based on what?
Well, for a start... The studio who did the remake basically doesn't make original games. They're a port/remake studio entirely. They made a handful of small, unlocalised DSIware games, but that's it. Expecting anything from them regarding a new title is a long shot, at best.

Personally, I cannot wait for Nintendo to acknowledge that Super Mario RPG sold (way) better then they anticipated

... and that Paper Mario will be the next one to top it off in order for Nintendo to reboot the Mario & Luigi series and bring back the new Paper Mario to its former glory years and decide to sound the bells for a new year of Mario RPG's: the spiritual successor of the year of Luigi.

Christ, nothing stops the Momotaro train (ba-dum-tsh).

Great numbers for Super Mario RPG too.
I’m not sure the switch could handle P3R lol. It’s probably being developed for switch 2, atlus can’t be dumb enough to ignore the switch ecosystem anymore. (Come back to this post when Persona 6 is a permanent PS6 exclusive)
I dunno. Persona 3 Reload started active development in late 2019. By that point, the Switch was a massive worldwide success, it had proved itself a very good fit for JRPGs, people had been asking for Persona games on the system for a couple of years and Joker had already been announced as a playable character for Smash. With all those factors, the remake should have been developed with Switch in mind, but that clearly didn't happen.

Atlus shouldn't ignore the Switch ecosystem in the future, I totally agree, but they absolutely can do it if they feel like it.

Well, for a start... The studio who did the remake basically doesn't make original games. They're a port/remake studio entirely. They made a handful of small, unlocalised DSIware games, but that's it. Expecting anything from them regarding a new title is a long shot, at best.
why should that stop them from developing a new game? Nintendo overseeing, at least one of the directors returning, and a decent budget, ArtePiazza would do fine

Christ, nothing stops the Momotaro train (ba-dum-tsh).

Great numbers for Super Mario RPG too.

I dunno. Persona 3 Reload started active development in late 2019. By that point, the Switch was a massive worldwide success, it had proved itself a very good fit for JRPGs, people had been asking for Persona games on the system for a couple of years and Joker had already been announced as a playable character for Smash. With all those factors, the remake should have been developed with Switch in mind, but that clearly didn't happen.

Atlus shouldn't ignore the Switch ecosystem in the future, I totally agree, but they absolutely can do it if they feel like it.
From what I remember of talk during that time they even added a platform mid-dev so frankly no excuse here. Even then they had plentiful options to choose from if they couldn’t or didn’t wanna do it.

I’m not sure the switch could handle P3R lol. It’s probably being developed for switch 2, atlus can’t be dumb enough to ignore the switch ecosystem anymore. (Come back to this post when Persona 6 is a permanent PS6 exclusive)
Even though the Switch wasn't the first hardware in mind when developing P3R, the game could have run very well on it. It uses UE4 with the same scope as Persona 5, it's full of corridors. If P5R runs well on Switch, so would P3R.

Even though the Switch wasn't the first hardware in mind when developing P3R, the game could have run very well on it. It uses UE4 with the same scope as Persona 5, it's full of corridors. If P5R runs well on Switch, so would P3R.
The game probably could run on switch, but atlus is probably focused on bringing the game to the switch 2, and are ignoring the first switch

top 30

hey, as long as someone pays for it. which I think will stop happening after recent results

P5T not even reaching 50k launch, makes SH2 launch look just as bad lol (52k)

why should that stop them from developing a new game? Nintendo overseeing, at least one of the directors returning, and a decent budget, ArtePiazza would do fine

...why would it what?

I'm sorry for being blunt here, but do you not understand that the entire studio would be missing a whole bunch of key positions necessary to make an entire game from scratch? Studios that exist to make remakes and remasters are by their nature not setup like studios set up to make full original titles, and that's fine, because they don't need to be.

...why would it what?

I'm sorry for being blunt here, but do you not understand that the entire studio would be missing a whole bunch of key positions necessary to make an entire game from scratch? Studios that exist to make remakes and remasters are by their nature not setup like studios set up to make full original titles, and that's fine, because they don't need to be.
what key positions? how is a ground up remake, which needs every position a new game needs, not the same as a new game? the only thing that separates Mario RPG from a hypothetical Mario RPG2 is the fact they have the blueprints already made vs having to make them. Nintendo has a wealth of staff who can work with ArtePiazza to make that.

your post strikes me as a misunderstanding as to how games are made. being a remake doesn't magically make art and programming already exist

what key positions? how is a ground up remake, which needs every position a new game needs, not the same as a new game? the only thing that separates Mario RPG from a hypothetical Mario RPG2 is the fact they have the blueprints already made vs having to make them. Nintendo has a wealth of staff who can work with ArtePiazza to make that.

your post strikes me as a misunderstanding as to how games are made. being a remake doesn't magically make art and programming already exist

Damn, what a post to end accusing someone else of not understanding how games are made.

If you think original scenario design, original level design, original gameplay design, and a whole host of other things that are already at absolute minimum already provided when beginning work on a remaster/remake are trivial, you're the one who doesn't understand anything about basically any creative process, not anyone else.

And frankly, that's quite insulting to the people who did all the work on the original.

Artepiazza literally doesn't have original titles like that within its remit, and if they were going to do so, it would require significant expansion. It's not impossible, but it would require a complete change in direction for the studio, which is a silly bet to make when they've built a lucrative business for themselves in the remake/remaster corner of the industry, and they're hardly the only ones.

the switch can absolutely handle p3r just look at it. it's just another coked out atlus decision

Final Fantasy XVI first week sales: 336k

Super Mario RPG first week sales: 301k

Final Fantasy XVI = failure

Super Mario RPG = success

I know there's tons of reasons for why this is more impressive for Mario RPG, but it's still funny to me
Tbf ff16 dropped like a rock in its second and third weekd

It'll be 2074, we'll be on the Nintendo Switch 9, Final Fantasy will have become a battle royale dating sim franchise, and FF16 will still somehow come up this these Famitsu Sales Week topics.

I know there's tons of reasons for why this is more impressive for Mario RPG, but it's still funny to me
Final Fantasy is a huge series that flopped because they took Sony money instead of Nintendo money. Mario games and RPGs are both niche, so this is more impressive. Is it hard to understand?

Just out of curiosity, what is Momotaro Dentetsu World?
Latest entry in the board game spinoffs of the Momotaro Densetsu RPGs that started back in the 80s. Dentetsu was a popular roughly-annual series from 1988~2011, but got caught up in Konami's great retreat from console gaming post-Dragon Collection. The originals were developed by Hudson Soft, predating a lot of other digital board games like Itadaki Street and Mario Party.

Tetsu's current popularity is unsurprising if you dig up the old numbers--100k on Famicom, 50k on PC Engine, 200k on Game Boy, 700k on SFC and PlayStation, with multiple release per console performing similarly--a lot of Japanese players have nostalgia for it. The whole Momotaro franchise was pass over for localization, so from our perspective it seemingly came out of nowhere.

The studio who did the remake basically doesn't make original games. They're a port/remake studio entirely. They made a handful of small, unlocalised DSIware games, but that's it.
That's not quite right, they also developed Opoona on the Wii and Innocent Life on the PSP/PS2.

Staff of ~4000 versus staff of ~200. Just another small team embarrassing the AAA business model.

(Albeit, it's strange we talk about first "weeks" at all when XVI's was three days and SMRPG's was two.)

Tbf ff16 dropped like a rock in its second and third weekd
Staff of ~4000 versus staff of ~200. Just another small team embarrassing the AAA business model.

(Albeit, it's strange we talk about first "weeks" at all when XVI's was three days and SMRPG's was two.)
I'm not disagreeing that SMRPG's sales are more impressive though, I just find the comment funny with respect to SE. SE is never going to have the profit motive to pursue Super Mario RPG like they do Final Fantasy, even when you account for the similar sales and the fact that Final Fantasy is way more expensive, all of that profit goes to Square Enix, drives sales for their brand, and in a similar situation to SMRPG the dev cost was also partially covered by Sony. That's why I found the comment funny, not because SMRPG's sales aren't more impressive, but because FFXVI will probably make Square way more money than SMRPG anyways yet it's being labeled a "bomba" for them in this scenario. In terms of profit for SE, it's still the higher priority title, even if its sales were kind of middling.

This would be like saying SMRPG's sales are embarrassing when comparing the console install base of the two.

Both can sell well and we're all capable of celebrating that without being weird about it.

This would be like saying SMRPG's sales are embarrassing when comparing the console install base of the two.

Both can sell well and we're all capable of celebrating that without being weird about it.
One of them costs exponentially less to make yet generates comparable revenue at retail. AAA development is the problem; it's a relic of the 90s that costs too much in time, labor, and dollars to produce efficiently. The bar is too high for XVI to sell well--when that many people are working on your game, you have to be one of the best-selling games of all time to "sell well."

One of them costs exponentially less to make yet generates comparable revenue at retail. AAA development is the problem; it's a relic of the 90s that costs too much in time, labor, and dollars to produce efficiently. The bar is too high for XVI to sell well--when that many people are working on your game, you have to be one of the best-selling games of all time to "sell well."
What are you even going on about anymore. Was this argument just an excuse to hate on AAA games?

AAA development is the problem
AAA development can be a problem but it doesn't mean it is a problem for every AAA game. Yeah, SE had weird expectations for this game, and they do for basically every game they sell. But it still sold very well. They wouldn't decide to start making 2 expansions after release if it didn't.

Guys, @AngryAlchemist just wants to break his personal record of the most quoted post. He is obviously baiting you :p

That said, it's pretty telling to see that a Mario RPG remake in the post FF7-era was that close of outselling a mainline FF in Japan in their respective launch week at retail.

I know it won't but imagine for a second that actually happens with the Thousand Year Door remake and Rebirth. I would have an irrepressible, idiotic, smile on my face the whole day.

Last edited:
Guys, @AngryAlchemist just wants to break his personal record of the most quoted post. He is obviously baiting you :p
It's not bait though. I agree SMRPG has more impressive sales and different expectations, but the post I was quoting acted like it was a bigger achievement for SE when it isn't, SE is almost certainly going to make way less money off it than XVI even with the smaller budget and even if the WW sales are comparable. $70, future PC port, expansions and all the revenue going to SE (aside from platformer holders) is too strong. Under that circumstance that was a silly comment, so I responded with a joke.

If it was just a snarky comment about Nintendo making more profit off their RPG than Square, then I could understand it.

What are you even going on about anymore. Was this argument just an excuse to hate on AAA games?
Not games, the business model. The XVI-versus-Mario RPG comparison evidences a smaller, smarter way of development; fewer staff to similar or better returns as AAA games. If Square were to develop new Final Fantasy titles at a smaller less expensive and less time-intensive scope, they could release more games per decade at a similar price point. All their investment in cutting-edge fidelity isn't helping FF sell, it's just dragging out asset production and racking up costs while giving them fewer chances to be creative.

AAA development can be a problem but it doesn't mean it is a problem for every AAA game. Yeah, SE had weird expectations for this game, and they do for basically every game they sell. But it still sold very well. They wouldn't decide to start making 2 expansions after release if it didn't.
It broke even and taught a wider population what "amortization" means. Past FF games profited at launch, and even served as system-sellers. Square needs a new plan; you can't just spend the most money to make the most money anymore.

Not games, the business model. The XVI-versus-Mario RPG comparison evidences a smaller, smarter way of development; fewer staff to similar or better returns as AAA games. If Square were to develop new Final Fantasy titles at a smaller less expensive and less time-intensive scope, they could release more games per decade at a similar price point. All their investment in cutting-edge fidelity isn't helping FF sell, it's just dragging out asset production and racking up costs while giving them fewer chances to be creative.

This is a bizarre alt reality where Square hasn’t aggressively remade their back catalogue.

Do you think FF7 Crisis Core Reunion (and the many many many many other games of comparable budget) doesn’t count or literally doesn’t exist.

An FF9 remake with comparable scope and budget to SMRPG is probably coming out next year and will do great. Same for DQ3 HD. Star Ocean 2R was a similar scope and uhhhh… Well it did better than the rest of the franchise.

It broke even and taught a wider population what "amortization" means. Past FF games profited at launch, and even served as system-sellers. Square needs a new plan; you can't just spend the most money to make the most money anymore.
You say that as if it's a movie ending its theatrical run and it's not going to continue profiting (on top of whatever check Sony gave them for exclusivity). Dislike AAA games all you want, but the industry would be a lot less interesting if these bigger publishers weren't trying to take risks and push the limits of current consoles with games like FF16. Not every game of this size has to do BotW numbers to be considered a success. A lot of them have problems in their bigger budget approach, but this wasn't one of them. If FF16 actually failed then it'd be a totally different story.

Obviously a way cheaper 1:1 remake of a beloved Mario SNES game is going to turn a bigger profit. Why would that mean every game has to be made at that level? SE already publishes plenty of other lower budget RPGs anyways.

Confused by the discussion over the last few posts. From everything we know Square Enix was barely involved in this release so I don't really see how this is relevant to them. If you wanted to be bitter about Final Fantasy XVI there are better avenues than this thread.

AAA games that probably lost a lot of money:

Sony’s Deviation games FPS: >$100m (canceled)

Hyenas: Likely around $100m (canceled)

Other failures are really hard to determine due to a lack of financial info given by most game publishers.

AAA games that probably lost a lot of money:

Sony’s Deviation games FPS: >$100m (canceled)

Hyenas: Likely around $100m (canceled)

Other failures are really hard to determine due to a lack of financial info given by most game publishers.
Square Enix had many very AAA flops in recent times, like Forespoken, Babylons Fall, Marvel Avengers.

Is the newest Final Fantasy is a Flop? Probably depends on expectations, but even SE has admitted that it sold below expectations at launch and sales fell off a cliff shortly after.

Square Enix had many very AAA flops in recent times, like Forespoken, Babylons Fall, Marvel Avengers.

Is the newest Final Fantasy is a Flop? Probably depends on expectations, but even SE has admitted that it sold below expectations at launch and sales fell off a cliff shortly after.

I have no idea how much Forspoken or Babylon’s Fall cost to make is the issue here.

We know establishing Deviation cost Sony over $100m. We’re pretty sure Hyenas was the most expensive Sega game ever made. We know nothing about Forspoken’s budget.

even SE has admitted that it sold below expectations at launch and sales fell off a cliff shortly after
SE tends to have unrealistic expectations anyway. I think it’s fair to say FF16 didn’t set the world on fire; however I would hesitate to say it outright flopped. Forespoken I feel is also in that gray area. Babylon’s Fall is the only one I’d say was a sales failure.

Well they still have Taro Kudo involved as a contractor. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't say it's impossible either.

The problem with XVI is that after it launched Square has been very tight lipped about its sales, so all we have is speculation

The problem with XVI is that after it launched Square has been very tight lipped about its sales, so all we have is speculation
we'll probably get an update whenever they announce the PC version.

Well they still have Taro Kudo involved as a contractor. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't say it's impossible either.
in the other thread, it was found that Cattle Call also assisted in development. so it's not like ArtePiazza is lacking in help to make a new game. granted ArtePiazza is only favored because of recency

Back
Top Bottom