• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales Week 43 - Super Mario Bros. Wonder Week!

rêverie

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)
___

Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2023 (Oct 16 - Oct 22)

01./00. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.10.20} (¥5.980) - 638.634 / NEW
02./00. [PS5] Marvel's Spider-Man 2 # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2023.10.20} (¥8.164) - 77.348 / NEW
03./03. [NSW] Jinsei Game for Nintendo Switch <TBL> (Takara Tomy) {2023.10.06} (¥6.000) - 10.554 / 54.264 (-21%)
04./02. [NSW] Pikmin 4 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.07.21} (¥5.980) - 10.208 / 922.606 (-28%)
05./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 5.305 / 5.520.260 (-15%)
06./05. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 5.260 / 5.163.082 (-18%)
07./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 4.923 / 3.291.621 (-17%)
08./01. [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2023.10.06} (¥5.980) - 4.718 / 106.605 (-71%)
09./00. [NSW] Sonic Superstars <ACT> (Sega) {2023.10.17} (¥5.990) - 4.128 / NEW
10./09. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 3.615 / 5.308.529 (-21%)

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

SystemTWLWLYYTDL-YTDLTD
NSW62.25044.47054.6373.264.8343.604.04330.988.881
PS59.84419.70928.6612.140.847804.4484.518.236
XBS2.7481.0864.158118.501243.339516.896
PS41.4372.0541360.3437119.478.110
3DS2785572.8249.77024.600.721
ALL76.30667.40487.5265.587.3494.662.31171.295.379

PS58.16418.56526.2381.868.570720.6113.928.515
PS5 DE1.6801.1442.423272.27783.837589.721
XBS X2.58560920754.58491.512226.995
XBS S1634773.95163.917151.827289.901
OLED51.93134.47238.0792.312.5722.052.6415.884.584
NSW L5.2694.8281.186424.136491.5765.527.830
NSW5.0505.17015.372528.1261.059.82619.576.467
PS41.4372.0541360.3437117.902.387
n-2DS LL2785572.8249.7701.205.776

sourced from Chris1964 on installbase

Last edited:
past super mario games for ref:

NSMB Wii - 935k (Media Create)
NSMB DS - 900k (Media Create)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 639k (Famitsu)
Super Mario Odyssey - 511k (Famitsu)
NSMB 2 - 430k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D Land - 343k (Media Create)
Super Mario 3D World Switch - 250k (Famitsu)
NSMBU Deluxe - 186k (Famitsu)
NSMBU - 171k (Famitsu)
Super Mario 3D World Wii U - 107k (Famitsu)

That's honestly way less than I would have guessed with Splatoon 3 opening to nearly 2m and totk at over 1.1m

They're definitely relying on the fact this game should have long legs, for anyone still doubting backwards compatibility for some reason.

...Sonic, ya good?
sonic rn:

wv6aiaeei7a51.jpg

That's some drop for PS5. I guess everyone's waiting for the slim version.

I also expected a huge hardware boost with Mario Wonder (for the Mario Limited Edition). Maybe next week?

That's some drop for PS5. I guess everyone's waiting for the slim version.

I also expected a huge hardware boost with Mario Wonder (for the Mario Limited Edition). Maybe next week?
the OLED was already out

Great numbers for Wonder, though I did expect something higher. The game will certainly have long legs and stay at #1 for a good long while.

EDIT: Duh, didn't even think about digital. Would love to know those numbers.

2D sonic has never done good in Japan

and no Wonder did not underperform
Was this addressed to me, or...? Because I wasn't looking at Wonder like that, and nothing in my three word sentence implied that I did.

As for Sonic, I wasn't aware that those were normal numbers for the series in Japan. I knew it was more popular in the West but not to that extent. That's a little wild to me.

Was this addressed to me, or...? Because I wasn't looking at Wonder like that, and nothing in my three word sentence implied that I did.

As for Sonic, I wasn't aware that those were normal numbers for the series in Japan. I knew it was more popular in the West but not to that extent. That's a little wild to me.
nah it wasn't adressed to you, sorry. More to the post below you

That's honestly way less than I would have guessed with Splatoon 3 opening to nearly 2m and totk at over 1.1m

They're definitely relying on the fact this game should have long legs, for anyone still doubting backwards compatibility for some reason.
i, too, was expecting closer to 1 milli physical units. however, we don't know digital and that very well could have put it over NSMBW. kinda odd though that nintendo of Japan didn't seem to tweet any sales milestones out...?

i'm more-so surprised that we didn't see another 80k+ week for NSW hardware.

Great numbers for Wonder, though I did expect something higher. The game will certainly have long legs and stay at #1 for a good long while.

EDIT: Duh, didn't even think about digital. Would love to know those numbers.
And don't forget these numbers only counting 2 days for SMBW "from 20 to 22", so yea we should end up with even more juicy numbers

i, too, was expecting closer to 1 milli physical units. however, we don't know digital and that very well could have put it over NSMBW. kinda odd though that nintendo of Japan didn't seem to tweet any sales milestones out...?

i'm more-so surprised that we didn't see another 80k+ week for NSW hardware.

switch hardware does finally seem to be gassing out i'd say

though ps5 somehow went down on the new big release

switch hardware does finally seem to be gassing out i'd say
It’ll definitely get a lot of breathing during the Holidays, but afterwards? It’s gonna be close to a coma

though ps5 somehow went down on the new big release
To be expected. It’s a three year old console. I presume they killed two birds with one stone with the refreshed SKUs:
• Simpler manufacturing process;
• Less costs;
• Reinvigorate interest

Remember, Wonder’s numbers only represent 2 (or 3?) days worth of sales, not the whole week. It’s also only physical sales. I’d say these are great numbers considering those 2 factors.

It’ll definitely get a lot of breathing during the Holidays, but afterwards? It’s gonna be close to a coma

To be expected. It’s a three year old console. I presume they killed two birds with one stone with the refreshed SKUs:
• Simpler manufacturing process;
• Less costs;
• Reinvigorate interest
and some people are still expecting a 2025 switch 2 release - pah!

the ps5 has this weird inverse relationship with the switch whenever it gets new titles. doesn't happen all the time and obviously isn't a scientific thing to make it a concrete fact but, still a weird observation lol.

and some people are still expecting a 2025 switch 2 release - pah!
I’d be surprised if for Nintendo’s next Fiscal Year they even sell five million OG Switch units. What’s basically carrying the Switch is the OLED and its themed SKUs (Zelda abd Mario). Although I said I don’t see Nintendo releasing another themed OLED SKU and we got Mario, that kinda should should have been expected for the year we got the Mario Movie and the newest 2D Mario entry. But yeah, I don’t see Nintendo releasing yet another themed OLED, and they’ve already tapped into every market they can, since the OLED attracted the replacement console market.

I'd be shocked if Switch has a 10k week before the next console's annoucement
I know it’s uncomparable, but with the Slim announcement possibly cutting PS5 sales, can we say that the Switch 2 could do the same?

I'd be shocked if Switch has a 10k week before the next console's annoucement
yeah agreed, that'd be very uncharacteristic of the switch. will be so weird to see it falter post-announcement though. the switch selling close to 10k would be an interesting sight.
I’d be surprised if for Nintendo’s next Fiscal Year they even sell five million OG Switch units. What’s basically carrying the Switch is the OLED and its themed SKUs (Zelda abd Mario). Although I said I don’t see Nintendo releasing another themed OLED SKU and we got Mario, that kinda should should have been expected for the year we got the Mario Movie and the newest 2D Mario entry. But yeah, I don’t see Nintendo releasing yet another themed OLED, and they’ve already tapped into every market they can, since the OLED attracted the replacement console market.

I know it’s uncomparable, but with the Slim announcement possibly cutting PS5 sales, can we say that the Switch 2 could do the same?
i think post-announcement it'll certainly tumble but, lugia667 seems to be alluding to pre-announcement.

Someone told me on Era that Sony is not shipping new consoles to Japan until the slim releases next month. So the stock is running low and they are not replenished until next month.

Wonder has the third highest retail launch for Mario in Japan, and if we factor in digital it might very well be number one. Plus yeah it’s going to have leeeegs.

Oh, for sure, no doubt, it's just I had gotten so used to seeing switch titles shoot for the sun that when ones "only" shooting for the moon at launch, it's a surprise.

Matching or outpacing previous 2d Mario's sales is obviously a completely different ballgame to almost every other franchise Nintendo has and no doubt virtually every other company would kill for sales like these.

Oh, for sure, no doubt, it's just I had gotten so used to seeing switch titles shoot for the sun that when ones "only" shooting for the moon at launch, it's a surprise.

Matching or outpacing previous 2d Mario's sales is obviously a completely different ballgame to almost every other franchise Nintendo has and no doubt virtually every other company would kill for sales like these.
I expected Mario Wonder to have a bigger opening could digital put this ahead of the pack ?
I think the two days of sales may be significantly impacting the numbers. Not sure how many days of sales other games had though. But yeah, I imagine digital is huge for a title like this.

and no Wonder did not underperform
Significantly worse starting tie ratio than any NSMB game, smaller start than the DS and Wii games which launched to userbases under 10 million. The question is how much digital improves the underperformance.

Someone told me on Era that Sony is not shipping new consoles to Japan until the slim releases next month. So the stock is running low and they are not replenished until next month.
Good observation. And it makes sense: Japan isn’t that big on home consoles.

I think the two days of sales may be significantly impacting the numbers. Not sure how many days of sales other games had though. But yeah, I imagine digital is huge for a title like this.
i don't think this is really a factor when comparing to other switch games at least. doesn't nintendo release basically every game on a friday? so all those other massive openings had just two days as well.

It is kinda funny that we've gotten so used to Nintendo franchises breaking series records that a 600K opening for SMBW garners "I guess that's fine" reactions despite it still being a better opening than any other Mario game on the Switch.

Remember, Wonder’s numbers only represent 2 (or 3?) days worth of sales, not the whole week. It’s also only physical sales. I’d say these are great numbers considering those 2 factors.
Also: legs. Mario Wonder will keep on selling into the new year with probably a spike this coming holiday.

Switch sales will be absolutely terrible next year all round, the collapse in switch sales in the west alone will make the collapse in hardware sales in Japan seem low by comparison. Nintendo will desperately need new hardware release next year, the Switch is now very close to its saturation point.

It is kinda funny that we've gotten so used to Nintendo franchises breaking series records that a 600K opening for SMBW garners "I guess that's fine" reactions despite it still being a better opening than any other Mario game on the Switch.
The only other new entry is a 3D game that released to a userbase about 10% the size of the current one.

I don't think a new 2D Mario game is seen as a must have day 1 buy for the majority of consumers, so if the legs are great Mario Wonder will be fine in the long run. And Mario Wonder seems to be more popular in the west than previous titles, which means that Mario Wonder will likely scale more heavily towards western market over the Japanese market.

Mario Wonder "only having 3 days" is a weird defense of its performance. That's true for a lot of releases? Tons of big games are Friday launches, so that shouldn't matter. I also don't think it being the third biggest launch physically for a Mario game is noteworthy at all - Mario games didn't have good launches in Japan till NSMB DS, and the 2D games have historically been more popular in Japan, so of course it's going to be one of the few high launches. If anything I'm a bit surprised it was so close to Odyssey.

An actual defense to make would be that with digital this has a good chance at being the biggest Mario launch ever. The only thing that makes me not wanna say it is for sure is that digital should matter a little less for this sort of title, but it's still probably at or close to NSMB Wii's record.

In general tho people needed to keep their hype in check. 2D Mario being a legs affair is a tale as old as time, but people were acting like it was Tears of the Kingdom. It did well either way.

I'm surprised that a game that is starting this strong in the market (both in relative and absolute terms) supposedly even needs defending to begin with, but okay.

OP could you please fix the formatting on the table? It looks terrible on mobile at least.

Mario crushed it as expected. Did not expect PS5 hardware sales to drop off a cliff like it’s 2021 again.

Mario Wonder "only having 3 days" is a weird defense of its performance. That's true for a lot of releases? Tons of big games are Friday launches, so that shouldn't matter. I also don't think it being the third biggest launch physically for a Mario game is noteworthy at all - Mario games didn't have good launches in Japan till NSMB DS, and the 2D games have historically been more popular in Japan, so of course it's going to be one of the few high launches. If anything I'm a bit surprised it was so close to Odyssey.

An actual defense to make would be that with digital this has a good chance at being the biggest Mario launch ever. The only thing that makes me not wanna say it is for sure is that digital should matter a little less for this sort of title, but it's still probably at or close to NSMB Wii's record.

In general tho people needed to keep their hype in check. 2D Mario being a legs affair is a tale as old as time, but people were acting like it was Tears of the Kingdom. It did well either way.
I mean digitial sales even in Japan should be about 30 % of the total sales for Mario Wonder? If that is the case total sales will be a bit under NSMB in Japan. But in the west Mario Wonder is outselling those games at launch, which means that Mario Wonder will scale heavily in favour of western market compared to Japanese market.

I mean digitial sales even in Japan should be about 30 % of the total sales for Mario Wonder? If that is the case total sales will be a bit under NSMB in Japan. But in the west Mario Wonder is outselling those games at launch, which means that Mario Wonder will scale heavily in favour of western market compared to Japanese market.
You're right - I misread it as 683k, not 638k

Switch sales will be absolutely terrible next year all round, the collapse in switch sales in the west alone will make the collapse in hardware sales in Japan seem low by comparison. Nintendo will desperately need new hardware release next year, the Switch is now very close to its saturation point.

Sales will be be terrible because there will be no big games. If Nintendo wants to maintain sales in Japan, they have to release the Fire Emblem 4 remake but that won't be enough, of course.

Back
Top Bottom