• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu sales: Week 32 (Jul. 31 - Aug. 6)

Source: Chris1964

Famitsu Sales: Week 32, 2023 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Pikmin 4 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.07.21} (¥5.980) - 78.838 / 596.388 (-32%)
02./03. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 14.673 / 1.804.457 (-1%)
03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 14.143 / 5.410.605 (+24%)
04./02. [NSW] Natsu-Mon! 20th Century Summer Vacation <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2023.07.28} (¥5.980) - 13.172 / 31.439 (-28%)
05./05. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 8.486 / 3.216.083 (+12%)
06./09. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 6.921 / 4.078.880 (+23%)
07./08. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 6.491 / 1.143.918 (+12%)
08./11. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 6.044 / 5.250.701 (+17%)
09./15. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars <ETC> (Nintendo) {2021.10.29} (¥5.980) - 4.951 / 1.273.753 (+30%)
10./13. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 4.799 / 5.085.843 (+9%)

Top 10

NSW - 10

HARDWARE

NZlWdQd.jpg

Full top 10 sweep plus 93k hardware sold. Who needs the successor right now?

Btw, Imma need that Natsu-Mon localized asap. Come on, Spike.

Remember all the youtubers that went "Nintendo is in deep trouble! Switch sales in Japan are tanking!" some time ago? I wonder how they're doing these days...

Nice numbers for both the console and pikimin 4

Remember all the youtubers that went "Nintendo is in deep trouble! Switch sales in Japan are tanking!" some time ago? I wonder how they're doing these days...
They are still the same they just move the goalpost "well, it sold good this week BUT iit's in trouble because it could be better"

They are still the same they just move the goalpost "well, it sold good this week BUT iit's in trouble because it could be better"
Huh... well, good for them! After all, if they keep saying "Next week they will shit the bed!" every single week, they're bound to get it right eventually.

Nice numbers for both the console and pikimin 4

Living off of YouTube must be exhausting. Trying to create content for EVERYTHING, big or small, must be a headache. “What can I say about this for 10-20 minutes?”. I saw the Pokemon Presents the other day in a YouTuber’s live broadcast (had to because the official one sucked). He was randomly throwing insults to the people there. Some warranted it, but not to the degree he was doing it. Like, it’s his thing, but again, must be exhausting.

—————

Keeping the message on topic, I’m amazed that 9/10 softwares belong to Nintendo… 🫠 Like… what the heyy! This is gonna be one hell of a generational transition from Switch to Switch 2. Like, I can’t honestly wait to see charts with Switch, Switch 2 and crossgen and exclusive software in the charts 🫠

Who could've guessed that Dandori translates to "steady legs at selling" in the real world.

Next Zelda, Mario and so on to have their own Dandori.

Who could've guessed that Dandori translates to "steady legs at selling" in the real world.

Next Zelda, Mario and so on to have their own Dandori.
Forget about Metal Gear, software is the next bipedal concept with strong legs

Impressive hold by Pikmin 4, hopefully it hits the 1m physical sale mark in Japan
It's pretty much impossible for it to not hit the 1mil physical mark, pikmin 4 is outpacing kirby forgotten land 3 weeks in a row with a 40k lead and that game sold 1mil physical in a year.

Same with the people who said "well, Switch had its peak" some time ago. They eating C R O W looking at these numbers.

Same with the people who said "well, Switch had its peak" some time ago. They eating C R O W looking at these numbers.
Nintendo itself is eating crow too. Their expectations for Switch sales is way lower than what it’s going to be. I think everyone is surprised its doing this well.

I have to wonder if Nintendo is going to start raising prices in Japan if the Bank of Japan doesn't start raising rates soon.

The yen is just so comically low right now because the BoJ is still doing negative internet rates despite finally hitting 2% inflation (after decades of trying)

They probably have time before the Switch 2 releases, but it's going to raise serious pricing (and therefore supply) questions about the Japanese market for the Switch 2 if the yen is still so weak by the release of the Switch 2.

I think most other countries are still going to be around interest rates of 5-6% for the next couple years (maybe the US could drop rates to 4% by 2024 or 2025) so we'll see how slow the Bank of Japan is to raise rates.

The yen has caused a pretty severe drop in GDP the last few years so you'd think they'd act more quickly, but maybe not.

They may want to establish 2% inflation expectations moving forward I guess, but the cost is pretty high right now...

I have to wonder if Nintendo is going to start raising prices in Japan if the Bank of Japan doesn't start raising rates soon.

The yen is just so comically low right now because the BoJ is still doing negative internet rates despite finally hitting 2% inflation (after decades of trying)

They probably have time before the Switch 2 releases, but it's going to raise serious pricing (and therefore supply) questions about the Japanese market for the Switch 2 if the yen is still so weak by the release of the Switch 2.
People over here have been able to sell Japanese Switches with +50% cuts of their actual asking prices, to the point that an OLED unit can cost you only ~210 dollars after other discounts. It's really incredible.

Nintendo itself is eating crow too. Their expectations for Switch sales is way lower than what it’s going to be. I think everyone is surprised its doing this well.
I’d rather say they are being conservative. It’s better to do that then overproject cause we all know how shareholders & media will react to that if they even miss by a mil.

Huh... well, good for them! After all, if they keep saying "Next week they will shit the bed!" every single week, they're bound to get it right eventually.
They don't need to get it right, they just need the dumb fishies to bite on the clickbait

Really glad for Pikmin 4 , good hold and already reached 500K.

Jesus Christ wtf????? I was like "let's see if it maintained 70k+ for another week!!" AND IT'S AT 93K??? on a super random week. With no new game launch. Switch is a beast.

Also insane that Pikmin 4 is at ~600k physical alone already!! Must be really close to 1m with digital in Japan alone by now, will probably go there physical only by the end of the year. The first quarter shipments for that one will be interesting. I'm rooting for it to have become a hit.

I want a Switch 2 quite a bit. But I can't blame Nintendo if they want to continue to ride this insane popularity for another year or so.
I understand your broader point, but I think the slowdown in the Americas and Europe is why they need new hardware. We're nowhere near the situation with the Wii, but there was a big mismatch between sales in Japan (which slowed down quickly) and in western countries (where it was selling great).

My point is that Nintendo shouldn't let success in Japan mask the growing problem of declining interest elsewhere. If they wait too long, then they will need to work harder to re-capture momentum. It's not impossible to do, but for a company like Nintendo that doesn't shell out big bucks for 3rd parties the loss of momentum is a big risk.

I understand your broader point, but I think the slowdown in the Americas and Europe is why they need new hardware. We're nowhere near the situation with the Wii, but there was a big mismatch between sales in Japan (which slowed down quickly) and in western countries (where it was selling great).

My point is that Nintendo shouldn't let success in Japan mask the growing problem of declining interest elsewhere. If they wait too long, then they will need to work harder to re-capture momentum. It's not impossible to do, but for a company like Nintendo that doesn't shell out big bucks for 3rd parties the loss of momentum is a big risk.
I mean I don’t think there is declining in interest considering the current software sales & activity within the base. I’m not really sure why they would need to work harder to re-capture momentum when it never went away nor stalled. At this point it’s 3rd parties who risk losing momentum on Switch’s successor if they decide to wait & see or pull back.

Overall I don’t think Nintendo is making plans based on JP or even if they over perform their FY number. Switch 2 plans are probably being made & finalized as we approach the next FY.

I mean I don’t think there is declining in interest considering the current software sales & activity within the base. I’m not really sure why they would need to work harder to re-capture momentum when it never went away nor stalled. At this point it’s 3rd parties who risk losing momentum on Switch’s successor if they decide to wait & see or pull back.

Overall I don’t think Nintendo is making plans based on JP or even if they over perform their FY number. Switch 2 plans are probably being made & finalized as we approach the next FY.
I agree with you that momentum hasn't gone away, and so they don't need to re-capture anything right now (or by the end of 2023). However, the last quarterly report showed YoY hardware declines in the Americas and Europe, which has reflected a trend in the Circana monthly reports for the last year. Software sales are great right now (especially with TotK and I think Wonder is going to do...wonders), but I think waiting until 2025 or later would be a bad idea.

I also agree that Nintendo's plans are largely fixed at this point and won't get pushed back just bc of unprecedented success in Japan. I just hope that they get the timing right and don't wait too long like they did with the Wii.

I agree with you that momentum hasn't gone away, and so they don't need to re-capture anything right now (or by the end of 2023). However, the last quarterly report showed YoY hardware declines in the Americas and Europe, which has reflected a trend in the Circana monthly reports for the last year. Software sales are great right now (especially with TotK and I think Wonder is going to do...wonders), but I think waiting until 2025 or later would be a bad idea.

I also agree that Nintendo's plans are largely fixed at this point and won't get pushed back just bc of unprecedented success in Japan. I just hope that they get the timing right and don't wait too long like they did with the Wii.

Shipments was down yes, but sellthrough was actually up.

Waiting turn long wasn’t really an issue with the transition between Wii to WiiU. It was just the WiiU being conceptually bad that, in my opinion, even playing EOL Wii perfectly wouldn’t really affect all that much.
I don’t really think the hardware is an issue since software engagement is still high. Had both been trending down then it would have become more dicey. Overall Nintendo should be ready by next year given with any internal delay happening due to key critical software at launch.

seems there was a bit of a debate about whether switch sales are internal or being exported...don't really want to start that here too though

seems there was a bit of a debate about whether switch sales are internal or being exported...
There’s probably some exportation involved, it would make sense what with the weaker yen and it helps explain the high HW sales for this week.

In practical terms it doesn’t matter though, since SW sales are clearly going strong.

I will say, personally? I actually want to import a Switch Lite just for the sake of it because with current Yen conversions, that's probably like $150 USD? But I already own a launch model and an OLED. The itch is there and real, I just have to keep resisting it because I REALLY REALLY DON'T NEED IT!

Good. I think it is vastly, vastly better than all the other Pikmins, especially 3 (a surprisingly unpopular opinion, I learned today). I'm glad this type of Pikmin game is successful and I hope it really does well.

Pikmin got legs!
I start to think the possibility that Pikmin 4 LTD would beat FF XVI LTD worldwide. Crazy & Wild

Mainline Pikmin Series

Pikmin: 1.60 million
Pikmin 2: 1.12 million
Pikmin 3: 1.27 million
Pikmin 3 DX: 2.40 million

Pikmin 4 is going to be the series' best seller after it's first quarter. It's first quarter shipped + digital will be from July 21st to September 30th so i can't see how it doesn't pass Pikmin 3 DX.

Nothing stops the Switch Train!

Man, with how good Pikmin 4 sales are doing in Japan, I hope it indicates great numbers for the rest of the world. 4 million LTD seems reachable now. Can it get to 5 million? The power of Dandori!

Back
Top Bottom