• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales Week 27, 2023 (Jun. 26-Jul. 02)

Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

SOFTWARE

01./00. [NSW] Master Detective Archives: Rain Code <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2023.06.30} (¥6.345) - 55.339 / NEW
02./01. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.06.22} (¥9.000) - 37.763 / 373.790 (-89%)
03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 26.089 / 1.723.314 (+4%)
04./03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.244 / 5.354.788 (+27%)
05./00. [NSW] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.06.30} (¥3.990) - 8.373 / NEW
06./00. [NSW] 9 R.I.P. # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2023.06.29} (¥6.800) - 8.080 / NEW
07./04. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 7.241 / 3.178.847 (+17%)
08./05. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 6.925 / 1.114.248 (+12%)
09./00. [NSW] Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ for Nintendo Switch <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2023.06.29} (¥4.800) - 5.845 / NEW
10./08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 5.341 / 5.225.169 (+25%)

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

AkpZh2y.jpg

Final fantasy 16 had the expected huge drop that every final fantasy game has, not the best with the lower launch sales.
Rain code with a pretty good debut, better than dangan rompa 1.
Switch has now become a statistical anomaly, the TotK + mario movie boost is in full effect and bodes well for the 2 mario games in fall.

Guess the dev team and Spike/Chunsoft really let out one heck of a sigh when they got these numbers.

Switch has now become a statistical anomaly, the TotK + mario movie boost is in full effect and bodes well for the 2 mario games in fall.
I know we're looking at JP numbers here but there's going to be a lot of shoe leather soup going around at end of the year when Nintendo manages to hit or even exceed that "impossible" 15 million units sold

The Switch continues to defy all logic and reason and still can't get the third party support it deserves.

I know we're looking at JP numbers here but there's going to be a lot of shoe leather soup going around at end of the year when Nintendo manages to hit or even exceed that "impossible" 15 million units sold

Furukawa at the shareholder meeting next year: "We're just as surprised as you are!"

The fact that we're going from "impossible projection" to "they might have undershoot" in the 7th year of a console is incredible.
Also with the switch this strong it bodes well for Pikmin 4 being the next game after the TotK boom.
Also also this was the week for poor stinky horse game, pour one out for the horse king who'll probably sell more next week than at launch.

The fact that we're going from "impossible projection" to "they might have undershoot" in the 7th year of a console is incredible.
Also with the switch this strong it bodes well for Pikmin 4 being the next game after the TotK boom.
Also also this was the week for poor stinky horse game, pour one out for the horse king who'll probably sell more next week than at launch.

MC Horace vs Clive is going to be one funny battle next week.

this can't be all due to exports right?
No. There was never any basis for that argument. Switch evergreens are seeing big bumps in Japan, too, which means people there are buying the games. That wouldn't be happening if it were just exports. Switch is just seeing a big bump worldwide after the Mario+Zelda double whammy.

Its crazy if you think about. The total ps4 sales also includes the pro model. But im sure that if a pro model was going to be released for switch, we would even sold above the 170mil

Furukawa at the shareholder meeting next year: "We're just as surprised as you are!"
lmaoo this is very funny. And it must be interesting to be in Shuntaro Furukawa’s seat right now. He’s overseeing a very historical period for Nintendo, and he barely started his presidency.

That's four highest weeks in a row for the Switch in 2023.

6pwk2t0.png
This is amazing! Switch is ahead of 2017, 2018 and 2019! And might finish the year ahead of 2022 for a total of 5 million just in Japan!

This doesn't look anything like a console in its next to last year on the market. Nintendo could easily continue selling the device in 2024 and 2025 if they want to.

This is amazing! Switch is ahead of 2017, 2018 and 2019! And might finish the year ahead of 2022 for a total of 5 million just in Japan!

This doesn't look anything like a console in its next to last year on the market. Nintendo could easily continue selling the device in 2024 and 2025 if they want to.

Hello person from the past, i am ... from the future and i came to tell you: That's totally what they're doing.

Switch will see quite a few cross-gen releases or even Switch-only releases from thirds and indies, as it's being kept around Switch 2 as a budget option.

Hello person from the past, i am ... from the future and i came to tell you: That's totally what they're doing.

Switch will see quite a few cross-gen releases or even Switch-only releases from thirds and indies, as it's being kept around Switch 2 as a budget option.
If Nintendo goes this route and also cuts the price of the Switch, it's almost guaranteed to beat the PS2 by the end of 2025. I'm even starting to believe a successor will not launch in 2024.

Happy to see Rain Code up there - especially since it’s a new IP! Really enjoying my time with it so far. Haven’t been in the OT since I’m on spoiler lockdown.

You're all wrong, they shouldn't have called the protag Clive, they should've called him Cliff.

I wonder if Square will go the Capcom route and drop numbers from the next entry
The problem is that they risk of confusing people into thinking that it's another spin off, there're already a lot of final fantasy: subtitle in the market and if they go down that route it will be harder to differentiate between what's a spin off and what's a mainline game. Of course if the mainline series had a similar gameplay between all the games or a similar style it wouldn't be a problem but that boat sailed a long time ago.

I wonder if Square will go the Capcom route and drop numbers from the next entry
Yoshi-P has said that's on the table

Honestly, it's probably overdue at this point given how vastly different entries are from each other since the PS2 era. At least during the NES and SNES/PS1 eras you had a common throughline with the battle systems.

Maybe it's me, but i don't think a different name ... like .... Final Fantasy - The Eikons Within ... for example ... would've resulted in better numbers.

:]

Maybe it's me, but i don't think a different name ... like .... Final Fantasy - The Eikons Within ... for example ... would've resulted in better numbers.

:]

The question is, where is the drag on sales?
Conventionally you'll have people saying, "JRPGs don't have legs". Well, there is no reason for 16 to be bound by that constraint with how it plays. It doesn't have the supposed drawbacks of the battle systems or the art styles or whatever else.

Now it could still go on to be a big success. The idea is that it keeps selling, that's the entire point. But will it? If we entertain the idea that it doesn't, then what does that mean? Why wouldn't 16 go on to sell in the way that, say, Ghosts of Tsushima seemed to? What disadvantages does it have? At that point you have to wonder if the number in the title, or even the name "Final Fantasy" is causing people to dismiss it outright because of preconceived notions.

I am being slightly disingenuous here, btw, because I'm on the record saying that I don't really think Final Fantasy actually shed its skin with 16 and the reasons "JRPGs" are relatively niche still exist within it.

• Switch selling another 100k+ one more consecutive week and outdoing the past week once again. Damn. That's what I call impressive. And on its 7th year;
  • Very happy for Master Detective Archives RAINCODE for getting the #1!!! One of the games that really catches my interest;
  • just when it will be supposed to drop, Pikmin 4 will launch, probably have a big first week, and another 100k week, probably higher than the last 3, comes. Really smart for Nintendo to have that one as "the next major thing" after TotK. A lot of new Switch owners and people who came back to Switch full time for Zelda will get it;
  • I can't even imagine how crazy Super Mario Bros. Wonder launch week and Christmas sales will be.

It will never come to Xbox, just like the Final Fantasy 7 remakes.
I am quite sure that Sony basically only care not to release for Nintendo. We know how Square Management is, so at least here they are realistic to not greenlight the xbox version because it will just disappoint everyone in sales.

tbh, Zelda breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are more rpg than final fantasy 16, so the problem is less RPG's don't have legs and more Final fantasy doesn't have legs.

A crazy Switch hardware fact is that 2023 lost the first 17 weeks to 2022 but has now won 10 weeks in a row against 2022, of course it began with the Zelda Oled model launch in week 18. Switch could also realistically win the next 7 weeks against 2022 right up until the Splatoon 3 Oled model launched in week 35, 2022.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom