• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2024 (Mar. 18-24)

www-famitsu-com.translate.goog

【ソフト&ハード週間販売数】『プリンセスピーチ』が首位スタート! 『ドラゴンズドグマ 2』『Rise of the Ronin』などの新作もトップ10入り【3/18~3/24】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

ファミ通発表の売上ランキング。今回は2024年3月18日~3月24日のゲームソフト&ハード週間推定販売数まとめをお届け。​

www-famitsu-com.translate.goog
www-famitsu-com.​

[Software & Hardware Weekly Sales] “Princess Peach” starts at number one! New releases such as “Dragon’s Dogma 2” and “Rise of the Ronin” also entered the top 10 [3/18-3/24]​

In this week's ranking, 5 of the top 10 are new titles. Among them Princess Peach Showtime! took first place.
This is an action game featuring Princess Peach who is well-known from the Super Mario series and has sold 77,562 copies.

Next in second place was Dragon's Dogma 2 which is the official sequel to the open-world action game Dragon's Dogma . An update is scheduled to be made in the near future to make it easier to play so it is a work that will be interesting to see how it sells in the future.

Rise of the Ronin which came in third place is an open-world action RPG set in the end of the Edo period, created by Team NINJA the development team behind Nioh and NINJA GAIDEN. The game received positive reviews for its chewy action and sold 64,646 units.

In 4th and 7th place are the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 versions of Dragon Quest X: Door to the Future and the Slumbering Girl online. Cumulative sales of both versions are 25,252 units.

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2024 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)​

Software​

1st Switch Princess Peach Showtime!
77,562 (total 77,562) New / Nintendo / March 22, 2024

2nd PS5 Dragon's Dogma 2
68,592 (total 68,592) New / Capcom / March 22, 2024

3rd PS5 Rise of the Ronin
64,646 (total 64,646) New / Sony Interactive Entertainment / March 22, 2024

4th Switch Dragon Quest X: Door to the Future and the Slumbering Girl Online
17,919 (total 17,919) New / Square Enix / March 21, 2024

5th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9,276 (total 5,758,176) +3% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

6th Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
8,118 (total 1,795,584) -2% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

7th PS4 Dragon Quest X: Door to the Future and the Slumbering Girl Online
7,333 (total 7,333) New / Square Enix / March 21, 2024

8th PS5 Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
7,121 (total 305,756) -38% / Square Enix / February 29, 2024

9th Switch Mario vs. Donkey Kong
6,987 (total 131,428) -9% / Nintendo / February 16, 2024

10th Switch Minecraft
6,563 (3,476,939 total) +12%/ Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

Hardware​

• Switch - 6,151 (total 19,749,638)
  • Switch Lite - 7,826 (total 5,785,403)
  • Switch Oled - 46,851 (total 6,915,823)
  • PS5 - 24,183 (total 4,694,730)
  • PS5 DE - 3,605 (total 743,987)
  • Xbox Series X - 958 (total 261,736)
  • Xbox Series S - 402 (total 306,008)
  • PS4 - 250 (total 7,924,660)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 9 (total 1,192,900)

mdMS0Fb.png

Last edited:
For your history of aggression and attempting to start cross site drama with another message board you were permanently banned from, you have been banned 2 weeks. - Lord Azrael, BassForever, Zellia, meatbag, big lantern ghost, ngpdrew
Chris comparing this exclusively to the misogynistic shovelware that is SPP instead of Yoshi is extremely funny spin by him.

It did fine, why distort like this.

Two big PS5 games yet still couldn't move hardware numbers.

Expected something around 120k for Peach but not surprised by that number either. It'll reach that in no time anyways.

Last edited:
New DQXI expansion? In case anyone had any doubts about XII skipping Nintendo platforms…

Props to the 2DS LL still hanging in there! 😂

princess peach with a solid debut (probably the best debut of a good feel game in japan with digital), I could see the game go on and outsell yoshi crafted world and become the best selling good feel game ever. Switch continues the insane 8th year run with another increase from last year, just bonkers number for a console that's already the best selling console ever in japan.
Dragon's dogma 2 with a pretty sad underperformance and looking at the reception in japan it's not looking good for it's legs, while rise of ronin is doing ok but definitely not en route to become the 5mil seller expected by koei tecmo. Ps5 barely up from last week and under 30k even with 2 big release (probably the 2 biggest releases left for the year in japan for ps5). FF7 rebirth is showing ok legs at least so the word of mouth seems to be good, it won't be able to fix the awful launch but it's still something.

I was expecting Princess Peach Showtime to open higher, but I guess it'll do better in other regions. Still happy she got the #1!!

Nice numbers for Switch hardware. It's no joke for a console in its 8th year.

princess peach with a solid debut (probably the best debut of a good feel game in japan with digital), I could see the game go on and outsell yoshi crafted world and become the best selling good feel game ever. Switch continues the insane 8th year run with another increase from last year, just bonkers number for a console that's already the best selling console ever in japan.
Dragon's dogma 2 with a pretty sad underperformance and looking at the reception in japan it's not looking good for it's legs, while rise of ronin is doing ok but definitely not en route to become the 5mil seller expected by koei tecmo. Ps5 barely up from last week and under 30k even with 2 big release (probably the 2 biggest releases left for the year in japan for ps5). FF7 rebirth is showing ok legs at least so the word of mouth seems to be good, it won't be able to fix the awful launch but it's still something.
What's wrong with DD2's reception in Japan?

user reviews are pretty bad both on amazon jp (it went down to 2.5 stars out of 5) and steam, and it's also dropping a lot on amazon jp in terms of sales placements. Next week performance will probably be pretty bad for the game.

A lot of people just seemed to have expected more. Reading the complaints of DD1 and DD2, it goes

DD1 issues

-Bad writing
-Bad cutscene direction
-Bad art
-Bad exploration/quest design
-Overly repetitive gameplay
-Bad non combat gameplay
-Bad framerate

And the DD2 issues are given as.

-Bad writing
-Bad cutscene direction
-Bad art
-Bad non combat gameplay
-Bad framerate

A lot of people just seemed to have expected more. Reading the complaints of DD1 and DD2, it goes

DD1 issues

-Bad writing
-Bad cutscene direction
-Bad art
-Bad non combat gameplay
-Bad framerate

And the DD2 issues are given as.

-Bad writing
-Bad cutscene direction
-Bad art
-Bad non combat gameplay
-Bad framerate
Dragon's Dogma is widely accepted as a good game (if not an outright classic) that is far more than the sum of its parts. Please don't dismiss it as if it has no worth just because you don't like looking at it.

Dragon's Dogma is widely accepted as a good game (if not an outright classic) that is far more than the sum of its parts. Please don't dismiss it as if it has no worth just because you don't like looking at it.

Okay, but those complaints seem consistent across both titles. The Japanese reviews frequently talk about how much they hate the story in the game which is why DD2 has poor user reviews on Amazon Japan.

DD2 and Ronin definitely help put a lot of other numbers into perspective. Persona 3 Reload and FF7 Rebirth’s sales don’t look quite so bad anymore.

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth selling 200k units on PS4/5 through two weeks is looking more and more impressive by the week, though.

DD2 and Ronin definitely help put a lot of other numbers into perspective. Persona 3 Reload and FF7 Rebirth’s sales don’t look quite so bad anymore.

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth selling 200k units on PS4/5 through two weeks is looking more and more impressive by the week, though.
Even people in RGG said that Japanese sales were strong. I thought for sure that the strong sales for Gaiden were because the physical was JP-exclusive, but I'm glad to see I was wrong

Curious how global numbers will compare for Peach. Guess it’ll be a little while before the next quarterly update.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely #1 when you include PC but honestly I find all the top results just ok. Ronin is actually the most surprising here and in general it seems like it will hold up better WW against the other two games than people were expecting (though, nowhere near as well as Team Ninja was expecting)

Peach presumably got 100k when accounting for digital - seems like a solid start.

Was genuinely surprised to see it beat DD, though obviously there are other factors to consider in the long run.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely #1 when you include PC but honestly I find all the top results just ok. Ronin is actually the most surprising here and in general it seems like it will hold up better WW against the other two games than people were expecting (though, nowhere near as well as Team Ninja was expecting)
That's honestly, Sony's problem, in my opinion. This was them wanting to take over publishing duties for this game and run the show their way.

Half the reason the Nioh games did so well is because more people got to try out the game through the alpha and beta demos, and being able to give Team Ninja invaluable feedback to make the games better. RoR didn't get this, and only a select group of influencers and those who went to Japanese loke tests in stores were able to try it out. It seems like Sony thought just letting word of mouth from influencers would be enough. Which would've been fine, if the likes of FightingCowboy "going rogue" didn't practically blow up in their faces, and sowed unneeded discourse before the game's launch.

But in the long run, I'm not too worried. Clearly, the game has plenty of depth, even if it's not quite to the same level of what the likes of FightingCowboy and the denizens of r/Nioh were hoping for. Future sales will probably depend on how well the PC port performs in 9-12 months.

That's honestly, Sony's problem, in my opinion. This was them wanting to take over publishing duties for this game and run the show their way.

Half the reason the Nioh games did so well is because more people got to try out the game through the alpha and beta demos, and being able to give Team Ninja invaluable feedback to make the games better. RoR didn't get this, and only a select group of influencers and those who went to Japanese loke tests in stores were able to try it out. It seems like Sony thought just letting word of mouth from influencers would be enough. Which would've been fine, if the likes of FightingCowboy "going rogue" didn't practically blow up in their faces, and sowed unneeded discourse before the game's launch.

But in the long run, I'm not too worried. Clearly, the game has plenty of depth, even if it's not quite to the same level of what the likes of FightingCowboy and the denizens of r/Nioh were hoping for. Future sales will probably depend on how well the PC port performs in 9-12 months.
I was actually making a positive comment about Ronin's performance, from what I remember it wasn't tracking that well (at least from the opinions I skimmed, admittedly didn't read up much) and also didn't have very much hype pre-release. So this performance and the fact that it's doing well compared to DD2 and Peach actually shows it's doing ok. It even will probably beat Dragon's Dogma 2's PS5 version in Japan, thanks to the negative feedback for that games performance and design issues (which is another sad can of worms...). The real problem is just that Koei Tecmo expected a lot iirc. But you're right that Sony wasn't a great marketer.

Honestly as someone who liked what I played of Nioh, I'm not really a fan of Team Ninja becoming "the guys who make souls clones" though. It becomes very hard to tell for me where the actual premiere quality is when they have two games back to back, Wo Long and Rise of the Ronin, which look pretty similar. Like obviously Rise is supposed to be the higher quality release, but I'm just not a fan of making so many similarly "good" titles back to back instead of just making one great one and then trying something else. They're different enough I know, but it made me kinda disinterested in their games. I think that might be affecting their sales a bit honestly.

Peach Showtime compared to the first week of other Good-Feel developed games:

Kirby's Epic Yarn (WII) - 109.253

Princess Peach: Showtime! (NSW) - 77.562

Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS) - 52.758

Yoshi's Crafted World (NSW) - 50.007

Yoshi's Woolly World (WII U) - 33.821

Wario Land: Shake It! (WII) - 24.291

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (3DS) - 9.456

Honestly as someone who liked what I played of Nioh, I'm not really a fan of Team Ninja becoming "the guys who make souls clones" though. It becomes very hard to tell for me where the actual premiere quality is when they have two games back to back, Wo Long and Rise of the Ronin, which look pretty similar. Like obviously Rise is supposed to be the higher quality release, but I'm just not a fan of making so many similarly "good" titles back to back instead of just making one great one and then trying something else. They're different enough I know, but it made me kinda disinterested in their games. I think that might be affecting their sales a bit honestly.
And it's certainly a possibility.

To say that Nioh's success pretty handily plotted Team Ninja's course for the decade that followed is an understatement. But even as somebody who loves their "Nioh-likes" dearly, I lament that it's apparently come at the cost of their other prospects suffering. DOA6 was a disaster, to the point that Yohei Shimbori abandoned ship to join the Tekken family. So in short, I wouldn't expect a new fighting game in that series for a while. Ninja Gaiden remains dormant, even though you'd think DMC5 doing well would be enough of a reason for Hayabusa and Yasuda to answer Dante and Itsuno's "challenge". And even "new" stuff like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which I thought did pretty well, has no apparent follow-up in sight (but I guess that's more up to Nintendo).

It makes me a bit concerned, but I'm choosing to trust Yasuda for the time being. And at the least, I'm assuming Square Enix has already come knocking for them to do more work, so maybe we'll get some other new things from them!

Along with another Strangers of Paradise, hehe.

Why? It's not that good.
By "that" you mean metacritic ~90s then yeah it's not that good but it's good enough to sell like hotcakes. If Yoshi didn't break a sweat beating 1m worldwide, Peach can do double of that in shorter time.

32,5 million hardware units sold in a country with a population of 122,8 millions. I know that there are plenty of users with more than one Switch, but even acknowledging that... it's just bonkers.

32,5 million hardware units sold in a country with a population of 122,8 millions. I know that there are plenty of users with more than one Switch, but even acknowledging that... it's just bonkers.
Some have speculated that some of them might be exported to other East Asian countries

Back
Top Bottom