• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Famiboards TGA 2022 Predictions

the_marmolade

Quality Assurance Tester in Video Game Industry
Pronouns
He/Him
hpgBObodUy5c2469KXPGy2aSbNZfIgY1GRjqkeu0DTHHvZ7imJqZGHasUmY6StnEucBEd1KKK7Y=w2560-fcrop64=1,00005a57ffffa5a8-k-c0xffffffff-no-nd-rj

It's that time of year again when Geoff will bring the industry together one last time for the year to celebrate this year in gaming. The game awards are known to have some pretty neat game announcements so let's try to predict which will be there or not.

My predictions:
Metroid Prime Remaster is revealed with a February Date
Naughty Dog finally showcases The Last of Us "Online"
Yoshi-P showcase more of Final Fantasy XVI however it leads into the Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster announcement
Alan Wake 2 finally gets its gameplay debut and a release window

Zelda TK. I don’t really have any other big predictions outside of that.
Honestly, I think Nintendo is going to hold that off until February/March direct for a big blowout get many of the press/influencers to play it before launch like BOTW E3 demo.

Honestly, I think Nintendo is going to hold that off until February/March direct for a big blowout get many of the press/influencers to play it before launch like BOTW E3 demo.
I do think there is value in holding off too like that. Get people anxious again to see more, but I do think it is outweighed by getting more eyes on it than the Direct audience and that’s why it will be there.

If it was up to me, I’d hide it until like a month out and get people extra anxious about it lol.

Metroid is a solid alternative, I agree with you if it does drop in March. March and April are both empty and it’s weird especially for March to be so. I do think it’s March, not February btw. We have Octopath II and Kirby holding down February.

While I lean towards agreeing, there’s definitely room for a story focused trailer here if the game has done a lot more in that space. It’d resonate with the TGA crowd and still leave plenty to see for the gameplay blowout in 2023.

I think the other thread about the ex nintendo minute people elaborating that nintendo does care about tga if they have something to show or if they have a game that has chances of winning really gave some hopes to a few people. like me

I'd like if i saw gameplay from Dragon Age Dreadwolf, i think that's pretty much the only realistic option for me.

As for Nintendo i wish the so talked Metroid Prime Remake got announced already, i think the TGAS are a perfect venue for it. Some zelda teaser is expected maybe?

I expect nothing from big publishers. Only brand new reveal should be Crash multiplayer title from Activision.

Rest will be some new IP high budget games from Focus Home, Nacon and/or Paradox. Some of those games will be straight up PC exclusive.

• Nothing from Nintendo.
  • Proper reveal of Earthblade from Extremely OK Games (Celeste, Towerfall)
  • The next game from Supergiant Games.
  • Proper reveal of Project L from Riot Games along with another Riot Forge game or two.
  • Something from Xbox & Bethesda, either Avowed, Indiana Jones, or The Coalition's new IP. Maybe throw in the Dragon's Crown-like game from The Banner Saga devs.
  • Something from PlayStation, either Spider-Man 2, Horizon FW DLC, or Twisted Metal. That's in addition to Death Stranding 2.

I'm not sure about anything besides FFXVI. Maybe Square-Enix will show Forspoken too, because that game definitely needs more attention. A new remaster like FF Tactics is also possible. Anything else from Japanese 3rd parties I can think of is Elden Ring DLC or something from Geoff's buddy Kojima. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty is a good fit for the show too.

Western pubs, Dragon Age or Mass Effect from EA and Crash/Spyro from Activision.

I don't think Nintendo will show TotK, Metroid is more likely. Nothing else from them.
Microsoft might show more of one of their dozen games they have announced in the last 2 years. Avowed would be most interesting to me.

I really want TotK, but Metroid Prime I'd find more hype even though I'm a much bigger Zelda fan.
Just so the people talking about Metroid Prime HD for so long finally get vindicated

Don't see Zelda being here, could be where we finally see Metroid Prime 1 though.

Expectations:
  • Nothing substantial from Nintendo (maybe FE trailer)
Pipe Dream:
  • Sneak peek, October 2016-style trailer for Switch 2 / Drake
  • Story trailer for TotK

The kit and Krysta podcast conviced me Nintendo doesnt care of the vga anymore. If anything Geoff is the only reason they "should up".
tbh I am not expecting anything interesting.

I want Zelda to be there, but the last few years of Nintendo at the TGAs convinces me it won't be.

Fighting game fans are gonna eat. (eat short possibly CGI trailers but eat nonetheless).

I think we'll get a new Fire Emblem trailer or Xenoblade DLC there. Zelda will be saved for a gameplay focus in the February Direct.

I think it's best to not expect much from Nintendo just to be safe, last year the MH Rise Sunbreak DLC was announced there but besides that there was only tv ad-break style Nintendo commercials IIRC. It was cool seeing Metroid Dread winning a category and listening to a Metroid theme song on the GOTY orchestra though!

But if I end up watching it I'd still be kinda hoping for something during the whole thing tbh xD

I have no idea besides FFXVI. Maybe Square-Enix will show Forspoken too, because that game definitely needs more attention. A new remaster like FF Tactics is also possible. Anything else from Japanese 3rd parties I can think of is Elden Ring DLC or something from Geoff's buddy Kojima. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty is a good fit for the show too.

Western pubs, Dragon Age or Mass Effect from EA and Crash/Spyro from Activision.

I don't think Nintendo will show TotK, Metroid is more likely. Microsoft might finally show more from one of their dozen games they have announced in over 2 years.
Forspoken is a good pick (god knows it needs a good showing, and SE have to start marketing it better sometime, right?), same with Elden Ring DLC. It'd make sense to have a big trailer for Elden Ring DLC given both Geoff's history with that game and also the prominence of it for nominations.

For Nintendo, I have no idea. I can see anything from nothing or a third party game like BD2 all the way to a big TotK trailer.

PlayStation will likely have Forspoken, FFXVI and The Last Of Us HBO Trailer here - much as I was optimistic to see Spidey 2 here, it's not happening imo (I kinda wonder if we're getting a Jan/Feb direct time showcase from them). First tease of Death Stranding 2.
Nintendo... could be nothing, could be Metroid or Zelda which are the two big Nintendo franchises that historically do better in the West, could be some third party Switch-clusive... (The Disney handdrawn platformy thing?)
Xbox - maybe Starfield gets a new trailer?

Elden Ring GOTY possibly alongside DLC reveal trailer

Nintendo announces SOMETHING

I predict disappointment and disillusionment with the gaming industry. Also a few mediocre celebrity guest appearances.

An actor will talk to Geoff about their upcoming movie and advertise an energy drink.

There will be an extremely action-heavy CGI trailer for a game that turns our to be turn-based strategy in at most three seconds of gameplay they show at the end.

The only presence Nintendo will have is a Pokémon ad.

Nintendo's presence will come in the form of another third party announcement. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 4 would be my guess. Or maybe the "DLC" for Bayonetta 3 will finally show itself...

• The next game from Supergiant Games.
Yea, we are probably due for that. They have gone three years between releases in the past, almost like clockwork. Hades was a 2020 release so it’s about time for them to start teasing what’s next.

At this point I wouldn't be mad if they just delayed it until like February just to fuck with people.
I don’t think it’ll be that late. It’s weird, the game is out in Japan, you can buy the OST digitally now, so whatever is up is probably localization, VA related, or ratings boards / regional store policies.

I don’t think it’ll be that late. It’s weird, the game is out in Japan, you can buy the OST digitally now, so whatever is up is probably localization, VA related, or ratings boards / regional store policies.
Wow didn’t know the OST was up, definitely snagging that right away.

At this point, we know geoff is usually only able to get one or two “big” reveals/trailers, with the rest being indie and aa fare. We know they have ff16 so that counts for 1 “big” trailer. I suspect that if they have another one, it will be an update on one of microsofts long in development projects, like hellblade, perfect dark, avowed, or fable. I really dont expect that nintendo will show zelda again til february, where they will give it a big blow out (and maybe announce new hardware)

At this point, we know geoff is usually only able to get one or two “big” reveals/trailers, with the rest being indie and aa fare. We know they have ff16 so that counts for 1 “big” trailer. I suspect that if they have another one, it will be an update on one of microsofts long in development projects, like hellblade, perfect dark, avowed, or fable. I really dont expect that nintendo will show zelda again til february, where they will give it a big blow out (and maybe announce new hardware)
Could Nintendo show either MP1R or WWHD/TPHD?

• Tears of the Kingdom Story Trailer
  • Super Mario Bros Movie. Probably the same trailer we got this week alongside a brief interview with one of the actors.
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Square Enix announcement of a new Switch Exclusive.
  • Nintendo Sizzle reel commercial.

And that's about it.

Its way too early, given Torna wasnt shown until the e3 prior to release, but i'd love a teaser for the XB3 Story DLC. Given it's up for GOTY, might shine for eyes on the game.

IF Nintendo does show up, it's probably Metroid Prime HD time, assuming its releasing sometime between FE and TOTK. But a TOTK trailer right after winning the "most anticipated game" category would be huge

Its way too early, given Torna wasnt shown until the e3 prior to release, but i'd love a teaser for the XB3 Story DLC. Given it's up for GOTY, might shine for eyes on the game.

IF Nintendo does show up, it's probably Metroid Prime HD time, assuming its releasing sometime between FE and TOTK. But a TOTK trailer right after winning the "most anticipated game" category would be huge
Surprised FF16 or FR7R2 weren't nominated

Zelda still didn‘t have its full reveal yet, I imagine Nintendo want to do that at their own event with treehouse sometime early next year.

The Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom will be there, not sure if first ever gameplay or just another trailer, but it will be there. The game is dated, last big event where it could appear instead of Nintendo Directs. Time to start that marketing a little bit before full blowout next year.

The Legend of Zelda Tears of The Kingdom will be there, not sure if first ever gameplay or just another trailer, but it will be there. The game is dated, last big event where it could appear instead of Nintendo Directs. Time to start that marketing a little bit before full blowout next year.
Its weird, even though its dated it still feels tenative as heck, like there is a part of me that is expecting one more delay to next fall. I think its because so little has been shown/explained still.

Its weird, even though its dated it still feels tenative as heck, like there is a part of me that is expecting one more delay to next fall. I think its because so little has been shown/explained still.
At least we know the game is content complete and rated. That's the only reason why I'm not expecting a delay.

I can't think of a time where Nintendo has delayed a dated game, in the switch era

At least we know the game is content complete and rated. That's the only reason why I'm not expecting a delay.

I can't think of a time where Nintendo has delayed a dated game, in the switch era
Both excellent points. I think communication from every major publisher was non existent/minimal this year, due to obvious reasons. Thats part of why im pessimistic. But yes, my rationale brain fully expects them to hit that date. Im just eager for nintendo to really start talking again. It feels like mostly what we got this year was bread crumbs in terms of major announcements

I would love to see Metroid Prime Remake, but my instinct says Nintendo would save a reveal like that for their own event. Has there been any update regarding the rumor that it was going to drop this year? Didn't both Grubb and Nate say that?

Back
Top Bottom