• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Experiences being a fan of Nintendo games at other gaming forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got ridiculously banned once for something that was blatant sarcasm; so egregious that the ban itself was lifted after about a day because someone realised how dumb that was. But anyway, at the time someone DM'd me to tell me that a certain console...."faction"... routinely organised mass reportings of posts, basically whenever their feelings were hurt lol.
I personally don't think most of the staff were involved in toy wars or anything, but there was definitely a console warrior brigade that went unchecked and pretty much catalysed the creation of this site.
I don't know why some posters here are trying to deny the existence of these toxic users that made the site unbearable for a lot of communities. It really shows how ignorant they are about the situation.

Last edited:
I think we can complain about how the Nintendo fanbase is shunned in another sites without falling into pointing directly to other fanbases.

We can be better than that, methinks.

That said, i have been participating in forums for a long, long time (since the Gamecube reveal no less) and yeah, traditionally being a Nintendo fan puts a shiny red target on your back, so to speak.

I went from a popular spanish forum, to moderate a the forum of a flourishing Nintendo community where i was also a writer, to do admin job on the forum of an exclusive Playstation website that wanted to diversify and took me in to become the face of their Nintendo efforts, to then lurk on NeoGaf and finally enter Resetera.

The common denominator is that the Nintendo audience is not a hardcore audience, be it because of the art used, unconventional control methods or raw horsepower. If Nintendo games and consoles don't fit an arbitrary criteria, their users are second or third rate.

The issues don't come from a single fanbase, but the most arrogant of them usually leads the trolling/thread derailing/well poisoning.

Now, this gen thigs are particularly ridiculous, Series X and PS5 support 120 fps and their respective fanbases act like they just discovered pennincilin. It's ridiculous and unnerving, and between that and the existence of the stopgap machines now there's also the Switch pro discourse fucking up every single new announcement thread.

I'm almost surprised that the reveal of the N64 emulator of the expansion pack hasn't sparked any discussion about how a Switch pro would allow for even higher internal render resolution or something.

Yeah I think people should kinda dial it back in this thread.

I don't want this forum to feel like some sorta Nintendo fanboy den where people can safely dump on other fanbases or air console war grievances from ResetERA or wherever. I know this is probably not how most of you mean it and I really apologize for probably coming off like I'm talking down to people, but please let's refrain from posting about "dem Sony fans" or whatever other fans.

I hated tribal shitflinging on ERA and I don't wanna be OK with it just because it goes one way now.

Let's avoid becoming really insular or even appearing to be, please.

I tend to not care, it’s all toys.

But the apologia for dumb decisions (cross play, treatment of indie/smaller devs, using proprietary solutions for storage, etc.) seems to only come from one corner of the market.

It is what it is.

My exact problem with the moderators and posters on other forums.

If I like a game for one platform, I shouldn't be attacked for it because of fanboys. I like games on all platforms.

It's ridiculous.
And maybe it is ridiculous.

But you know what? That's EXACTLY why I started to exercise the mindset of just not giving a damn any more, and quickly started to just go "snip-snip" when it came to dealing with certain people, communities and environments. A whole slew of my old, unbanned accounts at various sites still remain, as a testament to just how much I effectively cut those places out of my life.

Like, why should I waste my valuable time I'm not ever going to get back, going to bat for someone like Nintendo, their subsidiaries and/or partners (who don't NEED defense enacted by me!) against bad faith actors of any shape or size or platform? I'm not going to change their mind. Nintendo's not going to give me free eshop points because I proved just how wrong some schmuck on the internet is. It's just easier to let them have "their fun", while I turn around and invest my energies in more worthwhile places and more lovely, amiable folks.

In general I don’t like elitism. Especially about games. It’s suppose to be a fun hobby. And I cannot stand the constant remarks about the hardware in lots of places. Yes, we are aware it’s not a PS4 or PS5. But people forget, that for the most part, Nintendo has been about affordability. I’m careful with my money and I have pride points these days that give me pause. A Switch starts at 200 bucks. That’s a good thing. But there are people who want to turn it into a more of a luxury good than video games already are.

When my daughter wanted her own Switch, I got her one for Christmas. Yes, Nintendo knows how to make hardware. But they don’t want to sell you one at 500 bucks. Maybe one day they will, but only because I see them doing a model where there’s three pride points. A handheld only model, normal model, and a premium model (pro if you will).

I honestly can't imagine thinking that I'm a victim for liking a multi-billion dollar company that might get shit on by other people in a way I don't like.

...Unless said company is Capcom. Even our own overlords don't treat us well : ( .

Throughout my life the gaming forums I've followed have had very passionate Nintendo communities and communities very passionate about shitting on Nintendo. There's also been an overlap of varying size between the two, depending on how Nintendo's been doing at the moment (I still love you, Wii U!).

I think ultimately what I hope for is a community with some variance in gaming preferences, but one where people can respect each other despite them. Blind fandom can get on my nerves a bit, but in the end I don't mind passionate fans as long as they respect passionate fans of some other company/game/whatever.

Last edited:
I honestly can't imagine thinking that I'm a victim for liking a multi-billion dollar company that might get shit on by other people in a way I don't like.

...Unless said company is Capcom. Even our own overlords don't treat us well : ( .
Eh that’s reductive. Most of us like Nintendo as in we like their creatives and devs. There are the artists, which the company is made up of. And there’s the corporate side - account executives, the board, etc. Most people aren’t talking about the board. Can care less about that.

And it gets tiresome to get snark because of the type of games we like. Yes, it’s a business and there’s the business side. But then there’s the part within that business, which are artists.

Eh that’s reductive. Most of us like Nintendo as in we like their creatives and devs. There are the artists, which the company is made up of. And there’s the corporate side - account executives, the board, etc. Most people aren’t talking about the board. Can care less about that.

And it gets tiresome to get snark because of the type of games we like. Yes, it’s a business and there’s the business side. But then there’s the part within that business, which are artists.
Yes - but they're by far the most acclaimed developer of all time. Doesn't that kind of make up for any snark you could get online?

I'm not saying people constantly shitting on what you like doesn't get annoying, it does. But I think there's a bit of a nuance there. It's much more productive to think about how certain people or communities are toxic/have fostered a toxic culture than to really sit down and ponder "how have I been treated or mistreated on the internet as a Nintendo fan?" Because the latter just leads to people developing a weird almost victim-like complex, when the reality is that the internet is filled to the brim with positivity for the company you like and hate for the companies you don't and vice versa. It's just how it is.

And just to be clear, this isn't exclusive to Nintendo. It gets really tiring to see just how much Sony fans can act like victims for no apparent reason at all, too. Saw it on old forums all the time. Also have been in a Discord server where Xbox fans started reverse trolling and being fake-positive about everything while excepting no criticism and constantly talking about how Microsoft should acquire everyone - just because the community the Discord server came from before, not even the Discord itself, used to be negative about Xbox.

So yeah, I think I have a lot of reasons to be weary about this kind of thing. Even if I totally understand that people hating on the shit you like all the time can be annoying. I also just think that this sort of thing isn't as much of an issue for console manufacturers. I mean, sure, there's certainly more shit-flinging in the console wars than there is in any other part of the gaming internet culture, but if what you care about is defending the work of the artists, then you'll get no greater defense in said internet communities than the many vocal fans of a console manufacturer.

Yes - but they're by far the most acclaimed developer of all time. Doesn't that kind of make up for any snark you could get online?

I'm not saying people constantly shitting on what you like doesn't get annoying, it does. But I think there's a bit of a nuance there. It's much more productive to think about how certain people or communities are toxic/have fostered a toxic culture than to really sit down and ponder "how have I been treated or mistreated on the internet as a Nintendo fan?" Because the latter just leads to people developing a weird almost victim-like complex, when the reality is that the internet is filled to the brim with positivity for the company you like and hate for the companies you don't and vice versa. It's just how it is.

And just to be clear, this isn't exclusive to Nintendo. It gets really tiring to see just how much Sony fans can act like victims for no apparent reason at all, too. Saw it on old forums all the time. Also have been in a Discord server where Xbox fans started reverse trolling and being fake-positive about everything while excepting no criticism and constantly talking about how Microsoft should acquire everyone - just because the community the Discord server came from before, not even the Discord itself, used to be negative about Xbox.

So yeah, I think I have a lot of reasons to be weary about this kind of thing. Even if I totally understand that people hating on the shit you like all the time can be annoying. I also just think that this sort of thing isn't as much of an issue for console manufacturers. I mean, sure, there's certainly more shit-flinging in the console wars than there is in any other part of the gaming internet culture, but if what you care about is defending the work of the artists, then you'll get no greater defense in said internet communities than the many vocal fans of a console manufacturer.

The snark doesn’t affect my enjoyment of their games nor ever will. But it gets tiresome. Real tiresome. It prevents actual discussion of the content and it just feeds into toxic interactions. Put it this way, half my friends love gaming as well. Whether Nintendo, Sony, MS, or all of them. But outside of presenting disappointment in any given game, they all talk like grown ass me and women.

But snark and trolling and shit posting does get tiresome. Because why engage with a community at that point? And if I didn’t want to engage with a community, I would just talk to my wife about games. We all are suppose to be fans of the hobby regardless of what your platform of choice is. It’s as I always say, just let people enjoy things.

Edit: Not even Nintendo. The attitude also towards indie games and small studios which would be considered AA. Everything seems to be game of oneupmanship and dismissive attitudes.

Because why engage with a community at that point?
I agree, which is why you should leave gaming communities that you find toxic if you can't change them. I mean that's why we're here, right? And at this point, what value is there in reflecting on past toxicity? Because I don't really see any.

It might be a good idea to lock this thread. I would hate to see this spiral into some huge war between other forums/fandoms and I feel that thread topic makes it seem like we are shunned just because we are a fan of a company that makes a form of entertainment. The OP has stated that the intention was just to let posters let off some steam about other forum sites, but it feels like it is starting to focus on a certain fandom as villainous when really it was just the loud obnoxious few in community that largely does have some crossover with other fandoms. I don't know, maybe I am just crazy and don't know what I am talking about.

I feel like console warring has mostly calmed down in the last ten years. People were absolutely frothing at the mouth with aggression back then but nowadays it's the same arguments and discussions that we've all seen a thousand times

Yeah, I'm not a fan at all.

If we're totally honest, it's mostly the Sony fans. The Xbox fans and PC fans are generally alright. Is that because Sony fans are the majority on the internet and going against them is going against the grain? I don't know. They seem to have some hostile fanboy culture going on. Having said that I'm a big fan of Sony games as well... particularly the Japanese exclusives they procure like MGS and Bloodborne type games. I'm not really into their westernised stuff.
It definitely was, given that the Xbox and PC fans were also driven away from ERA lol

People won’t directly say it because of the console war implications, but I don’t really have a problem because it’s a very clear and unspoken truth.

Of course there’s people who are still fans of Nintendo and other consoles on ERA (lots of my favorite people there are “hybrid” fans!), not everything is so black and white, but I think there is a clear community dynamic also at play there.

I haven't been much in the internet forum scene for a great many years, mostly reading, though I did engage in various Nintendo-related discussions on non-videogame related forums way back when.

I also don't refer to myself as being a Nintendo fan. I certainly like and enjoy a great deal of what they produce, and I can appreciate various elements of productions I haven't played or don't personally have an interest in, just as I appreciate different elements Nintendo has brought and still brings to the gaming sphere.

However, given the time and money, there have been and continue to be various elements and games relating to the other consoles and PC that I would be interested in.

And being into Nintendo games isn't really my identity. I just like the stuff.

But console wars, console wars never change.
That being said, I think some Nintendo fans should get some self-awareness and start looking into how to actually argue since it’s really sad how people can internalize console war bullshit. That makes some fans way too trollable. I think Nintendo makes the best games and they are and have been the best influence to the industry. However, I won’t ever say some really corny stuff such as “Nintendo magic”, “their games ooze charm, everyone else is just graphics/bad gameplay”, “Kirby is GOTY, it’s actually a cosmic horror series and he would definitely win every Death Battle ever” and the worst for last, “Nintendo is the Disney of videogames” (they are NOT AT ALL).

So yeah if you’re bothering to post in forums just don’t be corny and don’t be defined by what you consume and you’ll be fine, it will always be their loss if they start spewing those console war fallacies at you. Sadly the misinformation around Nintendo is pretty strong due to a mixture of extremely spoiled and bitter Nintendo fans that are very hard on them, as well as non-Nintendo fans that disregard them for other petty reasons (graphics, kiddy, youtube creator program, no true AAA games, etc)

This, I think, is something this forum needs to keep in mind, so it can avoid becoming an echo chamber, a Nintendo-proselytizing reflection of everything people here are complaining about. Faminoards needs to be open to different logical and nuanced takes, ideas, and discussions surrounding Nintendo and the industry as a whole.

It shouldn't boil down to "Nintendo is the Best, so take that" or "Nintendo is just no good anymore" or "People who prefer other consoles are silly" or "This is our haven against the Nintendo-Fan persecution." It should be open to nuanced discussion, which might involve things Nintendo does really well or could improve on, or things other companies do better or could improve on.

Fostering a good community where nuanced discussion is possible would be best for this forum, and I hope we can all strive toward that.

I'm on a site for Nintendo fans called Famiboards, but I'm gonna say it:

...I don't care about Mario or Zelda. I don't even particularly like Nintendo themselves, as a company. Some of their decisions are rough, and I don't like the underpowered Switch hardware.

...Phew.

This, though, this cannot stand. What manner of uncultured Philistine could say something like this?
Now, on a more positive note: Metroid is my favorite series of all time, Samus is my favorite character. I adore Animal Crossing, and met my main friend group through a forum called Animal Crossing Community, many years ago. We've been friends for over a decade. I also love Punch-Out!! and WarioWare, and wish we could get a new one of the former. Forum-wise, I've never really felt "unwelcome", or anything. I consider myself a Sony + Nintendo fan, split around down the middle. You have to remember that Nintendo is a huge corporation, and the face of gaming, not some oppressed little guy, and their fans aren't "oppressed" either.

So yeah, that's about where I stand, regarding Nintendo. I have some complaints about their bullshit, but also, it seems like everyone has at least a couple Nintendo IPs that really mean a lot to them, and I'm certainly no exception.
Oh, okay, I guess you're okay after all. That was a close one.

That last bit was all tongue-in-cheek; absolutely none of your comment deserves vitriol, obviously. Just adding this to make sure that's clear. Carry on.

On some Gamefaqs boards anyone who likes Nintendo is automatically a Nintendo fanboy and if you’re not overly critical of them it can draw negative attention towards you.

On Resetera some negative threads get made about Nintendo which would be auto locked if they were about Playstation or Xbox. Stealth trolling against Nintendo runs rampant there.
Yeh, that first 1 is bitter as hell over Kingtendo. That second 1 is ultra extremely nasty over Nintendomination.

However, I have seen that second leave messy things up about Xbox.

Oddly enough, I was a Sega kid up until the demise of Dreamcast. I had a SNES that I got for my birthday and a GameBoy I got for Christmas, but had a master system, a genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast… and then I jumped ship to GameCube and GBA after Sega shut down its console business.

And here I am now lol

Staff Communication
Famiboards is only a few weeks old and quite rightly a lot of the community still feel wounded from the transition. This thread has allowed some of you to vent and that is important, however we need draw a line here before it gets out of hand. Hopefully everyone can trust the same issues you've faced elsewhere and discussed in this thread won't happen here going forward.

Thanks, the team (EvilChameleon, Rika, mazi, hologram, Donnie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom