• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Experiences being a fan of Nintendo games at other gaming forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a long time lurker on ResetEra and read there now and then. But I do understand now, why people leave.

The negativity there in general really got out of hands. And as a Nintendo Fan you have to read the same arguments in every thread over and over again. "Lol the graphics", "that FPS and framerate", "too old, too expensive", "Nintendo is doomed". It really gets annoying over time.

Resetera was a cesspool of anti Nintendo sentiment. I hated that place.
Yeah, I'm not a fan at all.

If we're totally honest, it's mostly the Sony fans. The Xbox fans and PC fans are generally alright. Is that because Sony fans are the majority on the internet and going against them is going against the grain? I don't know. They seem to have some hostile fanboy culture going on. Having said that I'm a big fan of Sony games as well... particularly the Japanese exclusives they procure like MGS and Bloodborne type games. I'm not really into their westernised stuff.

I really did not get these negative vibes from Era that people are talking about. The Nintendo presence was huge there. Did you all just get banned for warring and are salty about it? Hehe. I did have a lot of people ignored so maybe that’s it.

Was a long time lurker on ResetEra and read there now and then. But I do understand now, why people leave.

The negativity there in general really got out of hands. And as a Nintendo Fan you have to read the same arguments in every thread over and over again. "Lol the graphics", "that FPS and framerate", "too old, too expensive", "Nintendo is doomed". It really gets annoying over time.
I honestly don't think anyone cares that much about graphics and performance to discuss it endlessly it's just low hanging fruit to pick on Nintendo. It's pretty stupid as well to pick on a 2017 handheld to compare to fridge sized consoles. I'd say the Switch still holds it own. You have to wonder though... the most cherished game coming to that crowd is Elden Ring and that's certainly not about graphics and performance.

Personally, I wouldn't say I've had a ton of bad experiences trying to engage and talk to people about Nintendo in the past or anything, moreso I've struggled to find an actual place with the right kind of vibe and voice. I don't just want to discuss nintendo games, I want to be in a place that gives me the feels Nintendo games give me, where that carries to the other threads and people can share their other likes and passions through that lens. Nintendo as a hobbyist oppose to being overly preoccupied with Nintendo as a quote unquote gamer and the baggage that can carry I guess. That is the true white whale and not something I've ever experienced beyond the walls of specific threads.

That's what I find so exciting about Fami. It's valuable & valid to discuss our experiences in the past but it feels way more exciting to focus on the future and what we have going on here.

ngl, I might be a downer here but we might need a gentle vibe-check on this thread; there's a long hard stretch of time of introspection to be had on internet communities, but I'm not sure how much mileage we can get from discussing bias of other forums.
agreed. it's best to move on and focus on the community and forum we have now.

I stayed out of console warring as much as possible on Era but it just kinda bled into discussions. It was a symptom of the bleak toxic culture that site has. Just a miserable place.

We can enjoy games while engaging with gaming critically. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. That's what I hope for here.

The gaming space is full of fanboys that like to pretend that they arent. You see the hypocrisy at display all the time, ive been called a Nintendo fanboy often and my response is always.....so what ? Not like im hiding that im a fan of the companies consoles and games, really dont understand why people think thats some mayor gotcha moment.

I would rather have people be honest about what kind of stuff they are interested in instead of cosplaying as these all understanding multiplattform gamers, that still somehow manage to always react like the biggest fanboys when it comes to company X and their announcements.

There isnt and there will never be anything wrong with being a fan of plattform, publisher, developer or series X - as long as you dont go too crazy with it. Its mostly people trying to win some internet arguments without having to actually engage in arguments or different opinion they dont align with. People calling others out as fanboys despite getting all excited and hyped whenever there is negative news about some companies is really weird. Makes you think that some people are just miserable about the enjoyment that other groups still have about certain series or publishers.

If you cant be be open about what you enjoy and share what like without having to fear to get jumped on, the community probably isnt for you.

If we're totally honest, it's mostly the Sony fans. The Xbox fans and PC fans are generally alright. Is that because Sony fans are the majority on the internet and going against them is going against the grain? I don't know. They seem to have some hostile fanboy culture going on. Having said that I'm a big fan of Sony games as well... particularly the Japanese exclusives they procure like MGS and Bloodborne type games. I'm not really into their westernised stuff.
Agreed 100%.The reason Sales Era got shut down was because of the obnoxious trolling of Sony fans (including mods) that couldn't handle the truth about the disastrous performance of Sony in Japan.

They're always like that. They had one thread a week about how Breath of the Wild is actually a bad game, despite the fact that Resetera users voted it as the best game of the decade.

I've NEVER had a problem with Xbox fans. But sony fans feel like a cult.

I'm very thankful this place exists.

Last edited:
I really did not get these negative vibes from Era that people are talking about. The Nintendo presence was huge there. Did you all just get banned for warring and are salty about it? Hehe.
Hooooooonestly I don’t think it does anyone much good to give it that much head space but I think there was a lot of growing antagonism and negativity in general, and it was common for people to enter threads to offer drive-by shitpost criticism with very inconsistent moderation of that behaviour (see also “port begging”, where harmless “would love to see this on other platforms” was actioned similarly to “wish this wasn’t on this shithole platform” - it’s not that big of a deal!). So I think people often got the perception the thing they liked was being singled out, when actually a ton of things were seen as punching bags by a lot of people who just wanted to whinge about everything. This is common everywhere though. It happens on Twitter and other boards. We should be careful to minimise it here rather than thinking it’s a unique characteristic of specific other places.

Also, derailing aside, console warring is just…not that big a deal? It’s annoying, but it’s a cue to step away from a discussion or ignore someone. It is playground shit talk. Famiboards exists now, Nintendo threads don’t have to be weighed down with console wars (in either direction) and hopefully people can avoid it and any instances can be nipped in the bud (and I’m glad to have seen some positive, balanced discussion about other platforms, because most of us have them!).

I’d just rather focus on making this place nice and enjoying what it offers. I would also caution people not to reflect on their experiences as gamers on a specific platform as being a struggle they face.

My first experience with gaming discussion was on a general purpose forum (not just video games, but pretty much anything - music, movies, etc - so there was just one gaming section where everything was mushed together) and uh... it wasn't exactly great since everyone was packed into the same spot. Later moved on to a specialized multi-platform forum which was nice at first, but gradually the climate worsened and I went here and there without every really enjoying it because this was also the era of Wii U and Nintendo being the censorship boogeyman, so things flip-flopped between either Nintendo fans being utter gits that tended to complain even if Nintendo's output was great because some series they liked wasn't part of the line-up or b) Nintendo getting sniped at by (often (soft-) gatery) members who were unhappy about the changes made to games in North America and Europe. It was a genuinely miserable experience and I decided to stay away from forums for a bit.

Personally, I consider myself mostly platform-agnostic - I started gaming on PC, went to Nintendo later and dabbled with PlayStation and during the early days of the 360 even had an XBox (that I later sold) - with a "Nintendo bend" due to me liking the games they make, but as a rule of thumb, there's likely more Nintendo communities out there that are OK with that than multi-platform communities that are OK with me liking Nintendo just a smidge more than Sony, Microsoft or PC, which I generally treat more as "platforms that have content I happen to like" than "platforms I like because of the content".

I remember participating and collaborating in a regional forum where most of the people were PC players. Everything PC was God, was amazing, was 4K, was blah blah blah.

But if you didn't like playing on PC, you were an idiot because you were missing great graphics, how could that be, how could you not enjoy multiplayer games, how could you enjoy playing on the sofa rather than on a gaming chair, that makes no sense, and Nintendo bad because they didn't release their games on PC.

I met some of the people in person, there were tastes of all kind actually, and they were good and nice people in general. I could even make great friends there. The problem was that one of the founders was a huge toxic PC fanboy that had a lot of influence on some other PC players that were teenagers playing Minecraft PUBGs and other mainstream games of this type and they had the same toxic behavior as him.

I finally moved to another region because of work and finished collaborating with them. I often read the conversations they have in the forum and Telegram but I do not participate. I'd like to go back but I feel very timid of coming back after 3 years not saying a word.

images

Average Nintendo fan.

I've only really talked about Nintendo on one forum, that being Resetera. Nothing bad really happened to me there, but as someone who doesn't really care about graphics or framerate I felt a little out of place. I don't want Nintendo games to be super realistic. I don't really care about FPS being above 60. I just want good games.

Pretty much this.
I felt like people thought I was dishonest when I told them I wasn't bothered by games performance or graphics - like say Age of Calamity.

I dunno why it's so crazy to understand some people don't really have an eye for this stuff or simply don't care as much.

the one thing I hate, AND I HATE THIS WITH ALL MY STRENGTH, is that if you DARE TO NOT CARE ABOUT 60 FPS you are treated as an inferior person who is not used to the great new standard this industry has achieved. And this started happening after PS5 and XSX launched

Or you are just a Nintendo fanboy that does care about that stuff but is just saying the opposite to justify gaming on Switch, this weak sub-product that some people insist to call a game machine.

Funny thing, I'm more used play to 4k60fps games than 99% of those people since I owned a 1080TI, then a 2080TI, and now a 3080.

I do dislike it when people say stuff like you have “lower standards” if you don’t require high end performance at all times but oh well. Let me enjoy my unplayable games that look like they came from 1997!

I used to think that when people called me slurs, it was because I was trans. But actually... it's because I play Mario Land.......

Nintendo players threw the first WiiU at Stonewall.

the one thing I hate, AND I HATE THIS WITH ALL MY STRENGTH, is that if you DARE TO NOT CARE ABOUT 60 FPS you are treated as an inferior person who is not used to the great new standard this industry has achieved. And this started happening after PS5 and XSX launched

Or you are just a Nintendo fanboy that does care about that stuff but is just saying the opposite to justify gaming on Switch, this weak sub-product that some people insist to call a game machine.

Funny thing, I'm more used play to 4k60fps games than 99% of those people since I owned a 1080TI, then a 2080TI, and now a 3080.
Also, aren't a good chunk of Switch exclusive 60fps, while the PS4 Sony titles aren’t?

That changed when the huge behemoth came out?

The community that sprang up at Era in the Direct Speculation threads - and which has been migrated here - was by far the most positive and balanced community I'd found myself in.

My experience in other places and in comments sections on websites were either that criticism of Nintendo was shouted down, or anything other than criticism of Nintendo was shouted down. It's just too tiring to put up with.

You have to endure being told that you only play Nintendo because you are stupid and you don't know any better.

I'm on a site for Nintendo fans called Famiboards, but I'm gonna say it:

...I don't care about Mario or Zelda. I don't even particularly like Nintendo themselves, as a company. Some of their decisions are rough, and I don't like the underpowered Switch hardware.

...Phew.

Now, on a more positive note: Metroid is my favorite series of all time, Samus is my favorite character. I adore Animal Crossing, and met my main friend group through a forum called Animal Crossing Community, many years ago. We've been friends for over a decade. I also love Punch-Out!! and WarioWare, and wish we could get a new one of the former. Forum-wise, I've never really felt "unwelcome", or anything. I consider myself a Sony + Nintendo fan, split around down the middle. You have to remember that Nintendo is a huge corporation, and the face of gaming, not some oppressed little guy, and their fans aren't "oppressed" either.

So yeah, that's about where I stand, regarding Nintendo. I have some complaints about their bullshit, but also, it seems like everyone has at least a couple Nintendo IPs that really mean a lot to them, and I'm certainly no exception.

I don’t think anyone here thinks we are oppressed or anything. On some twitter rabbit holes you can sure find those takes. I dislike console warring, but with some people on forums or social media seem so annoyed we’re not beating an outrage drum over trivial bullshit. Like who cares? I have a philosophy that I’ll enjoy something or won’t enjoy something. Simple.

Plenty of us here can properly critique Nintendo (look at the lack of middle tier for NSO Expansion and the high price of what it is now), but there’s criticism and then there’s just toxic behavior. And at the old place, you would definitely see a specific group of people calling us boot lickers or a defense force or sheeple. Was it the majority? No, of course not. But moderation did little to keep that type of discourse on check. It’s not healthy.

Outside of Nintendo, to give another example, I was wowed by the Xbox E3 presentation. I personally thought it was great and as someone that feels Sony has left me behind with the PS4, I commented that I may actually get the Xbox for the first time ever as a second console down the line when prides eventually go down. Some of the clap back was embarrassing. One person said I should stick with Sony because X number of systems sold and player base… like who gives a fuck? I don’t care how much a company sells or how many worldwide users has. I just want to play games that interest me. If I cared about sales, I wouldn’t have spent so much time on the Wii U. You’d think these people have stock in the company.

I’ve been gaming for a long time and console wars have always been an embarrassing aspect.

I’m just a guy that enjoys gaming and owns nearly all the platforms. Though I tend to prefer PC gaming.

Last edited:
Its mostly alright.

In every messageboard/community you will quickly find the folks who have the same mindset and in general discussions tend to be fun or balanced. However, I think some people make it worse than it actually is. I won't deny that at a time it was rough; back in the mid 2000's, when the internet communities were forming and companies slowly were starting to use online platforms there were some heated... debates. To be fair, it was a massive free for all in regards to hottakes and being the biggest edgelord on the board. It didn't matter if you preferred Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or PC, at that time you had a looooong list of teenagers and young adults who wanted to make sure that the games you liked sucked. During the Wii vs HD twins era, oof. That's another can of worms.

The only time where I felt Nintendo discussion felt exhausting was during the Wii U era. It didn't matter which games came out, discussions were dominated by sucessor talk, going third party, franchises losing their appeal and shitting on the Wii U. I mean, the Wii U received all the deserved criticism it should get, but at a certain point some people just wanted to bait people who liked Nintendo stuff just for kicks.

I know people want to dunk on Era, but it did some things right too; this Nintendo community!

• My first forum was the offical NoE VIP 24/7 forum, so yeah...
  • After that I went to N-Zone, which was part of a site where also PlayStation and Xbox fans were, but all of em had clear seperated sections.
    One could write and interact with everyone, but you mostly stuck there and people knew when someone was new or young and had no
    problems with dealing with litt e fanboys like I was back then.
  • Then I was part of Wiitower (Nintendo Newssite) and Konsolenpodcast (Part of the Podcast Nintendocast). First one was, again full of Nintendo Fans and the second one was rather small, mostly informative and the site was founded and still operated by the ones making the Nintendocast. So no problems there.
  • After that I was part of Rawiioli. A video site created to do some Nintendo videos, which later talked about PC and all kinds of games. So again, due to the nature of who founded it and the community there, no problem if you would be a Nintendo fan. At this point tho, I still preferred Nintendo, but wouldn't call myself a Fan anymore, since I was so much more into understanding how the business works and what shit Nintendo also does.
  • And the last one where I was was ERA. There I was mostly a lurker or used it to catch up on news. So I can't really describe my experience there as someone who mostly plays Nintendo. But we all know the moderation issues there.

Overall I had no really bad time

I actually learned not to have a Nintendo avatar but I think this applies to all systems.

Generally folk are fine. The only weird thing I find in discourse is there are people who literally believe Nintendo don't build more powerful hardware because...they don't know how. Bizzare.

ERA is a cesspit of elitist pricks shitting on you no matter which console you prefer. It’s the main reason why I left, although the Nintendo oriented discussion was particularly exhausting.

I'm just saying that when we die there's gonna be a planet for the Nintendo fans, a planet for the Sony fans, and we'll all be a lot happier.
They’re never gonna take us to the Nintendo Hell Planet. They can’t.

XbWL0fE.jpg

Seriously though I hope people can move on and cultivate the community they want to see here. There's a ton of smart, funny posters here with broad interests. We can enjoy ourselves and learn from each other and shitpost.

Kinda telling that PC era left, Xbox era left, Nintendo era left .....

Yet Nintendo has traditionally focused more on 60fps for their own titles than both PlayStation and Xbox. I remember PC gamers being called all manner of insults for "obsessing" on frame rate (on a platform where that stuff is far more important) and now all of a sudden these people can't do without 60fps.

Agreed 100%.The reason Sales Era got shut down was because of the obnoxious trolling of Sony fans (including mods) that couldn't handle the truth about the disastrous performance of Sony in Japan.

They're always like that. They had one thread a week about how Breath of the Wild is actually bad game, despite the fact that Resetera users votes it as the best game of the decade.

I've NEVER had a problem with Xbox fans. But sony fans feel like a cult.

I'm very thankful this place exists.
So this is why sales era got shut down. It's actually pretty pathetic things had to come to that because sales have always been a staple of these communities. Mods getting involved is next level.

I was trying to put two and two together. Thanks.

Kinda telling that PC era left, Xbox era left, Nintendo era left .....
Not wanting to relitigate the whole thing but I think this really came down more to the cyclical failures of Era's moderation. And not that platform bias doesn't at all intersect with that (it definitely does) but staff could have operated differently in a way that would've salvaged those communities (and others). Like any degree of accountability would've gone such a long way.

You can recount your experiences being a fan of Nintendo games at ANY forum.
You could have fooled me that this thread was about other forums. Because doesn't seem like it.
Also I'm sure sony fans will feel very welcomed here by reading they are "part of a cult" and " they have a hostile fanboy culture going on"

Yeah this was a fun thread (if, as mentioned before, a little silly considering how young this board is) but now it's starting to just become a venom pit.
If people have grievances about a particular community, I see no problem with them airing it out here as that's what the thread was intended for and it's pretty obvious they would never be allowed to speak their mind on Era.

Personally, my experiences on Era were limited. This thread is not to target any communities, just the ones we've had problems with. I haven't heard anyone crossing the line.

You could have fooled me that this thread was about other forums. Because doesn't seem like it.
Also I'm sure sony fans will feel very welcomed here by reading they are "part of a cult" and " they have a hostile fanboy culture going on"
I posted a few times on Resetera back when it opened its doors. I don't really know much about the community other than that Sales Era moved here.

People here seem open minded to fans of other consoles. Nobody here seems to be part of the problem. I'm a fan of Sony games myself as I already mentioned.

Yeah this was a fun thread (if, as mentioned before, a little silly considering how young this board is) but now it's starting to just become a venom pit.
It’s been focused on Era since the top of the first page. The thread was always going to be about people’s discontent with other boards and given most people here came from there of course they’ll talk about it. I don’t think the softer takes upthread were any less pointed lol. Like I said, I think people should focus on what they have here and hope we aren’t haunted old boards or stuck antagonising them. Era wasn’t unique in its problems and we can very easily relive them.
I agree people should be careful not to sling shit at others over genuinely trivial stuff like consoles and gaming. But…do Sony fans with no interest in Nintendo want to post here anyway? Are people meant to care if people with no interest in the board’s focus want to join? I play on both platforms and I couldn’t care less what people say about either because I’m an adult and these are toys.

You all need to stop caring what people think your choice in consumer goods says about you. I beg!

I posted a few times on Resetera back when it opened its doors. I don't really know much about the community other than that Sales Era moved here.

People here seem open minded to fans of other consoles. Nobody here seems to be part of the problem. I'm a fan of Sony games myself as I already mentioned.
Yeah.
It's always someone else that is the problem.

Just don't be suprised if people start to screenshot some of the posts here, and use it the same way.

I love video games in general, and while that includes Nintendo it also includes Sony and Microsoft, and so I've made positive and negative threads about all 3 of the big boys in my time

I think if you have a particular affinity for any one of the 3, and other posters get a sense of that, it becomes easy to provoke you which is where a lot of console warrior stuff comes from

There are a fringe number of posters who will defend anything, no matter how shitty it is, if it's being done by their fave, which then makes it easy for others to make general statements about everyone who likes X

Ie, "wow Nintendo fans will defend anything!" when really it's just a handful of posters who have decided they'll die on a particular hill. A good example of this was Sony fans arguing that cross play with MS/Nintendo was bad because that's the dumb stance Sony took at the time

That again makes it easy for more console warrior sniping and so the cycle repeats

I agree people should be careful not to sling shit at others over genuinely trivial stuff like consoles and gaming. But…do Sony fans with no interest in Nintendo want to post here anyway? Are people meant to care if people with no interest in the board’s focus want to join? I play on both platforms and I couldn’t care less what people say about either because I’m an adult and these are toys.

You all need to stop caring what people think your choice in consumer goods says about you. I beg!
I'm sure there are Sony fans that also like Nintendo that would like to get more in detail news that a more focused nintendo forum could provide.
But if people here make them unwelcomed, then people are no better than the ones that are conplaning about.

Last edited:
Most people are talking about Era because most of the community here migrated from there some weeks ago. It will be naturally a relevant talking point because people's memories about the place are pretty fresh right now.
I agree that we should not bash the community as a whole.

Yeeeeeah I think I might be done here lol. It was dumb of me to try and do the diplomatic “that did suck but let’s move on” schtick instead of not engaging.
I'm sure there are Sony fans that also like Nintendo that would like to get more in detail news that a more focused nintendo forum could provide.
But if people her make them unwelcomed, then people are no better than the ones that are conplaning about.
I’m sure there are because I like both too! I know I don’t feel welcome on a board where people make veiled threats about screenshotting and sharing posts and where people can’t just get over schoolyard divides. We can just leave that culture behind you know.

Not wanting to relitigate the whole thing but I think this really came down more to the cyclical failures of Era's moderation. And not that platform bias doesn't at all intersect with that (it definitely does) but staff could have operated differently in a way that would've salvaged those communities (and others). Like any degree of accountability would've gone such a long way.
I got ridiculously banned once for something that was blatant sarcasm; so egregious that the ban itself was lifted after about a day because someone realised how dumb that was. But anyway, at the time someone DM'd me to tell me that a certain console...."faction"... routinely organised mass reportings of posts, basically whenever their feelings were hurt lol.

I got ridiculously banned once for something that was blatant sarcasm; so egregious that the ban itself was lifted after about a day because someone realised how dumb that was. But anyway, at the time someone DM'd me to tell me that a certain console...."faction"... routinely organised mass reportings of posts, basically whenever their feelings were hurt lol.
As a target of that specific organized movement (which includes some less ethical moderators btw) I feel your pain. But Era's made their bed, probably better to just let them lie in it. They don't deserve your energy.

edit: actually, thinking on this more it's not my place to tell you how to feel or resond. Sorry about that and I apologize. I guess what I mean to say is they don't deserve more of my energy so this is the last they get. :)

Last edited:
Outside of Nintendo circles you can decide between either being ignored completely because Nintendo is not AAA enough or being ridiculed because Nintendo is not AAA enough. I think being a Pokémon fan is even worse because you are nowhere safe to discuss the games freely without the anti-Game Freak mob to show up immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom