• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club exciting: Microsoft is just straight up providing tutorials on how to install Linux now

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

How to download and install Linux

In this article​

1. Step 1 - Choose a method to install Linux
  2. Step 2 - Choose a Linux distribution
  3. Step 3 - Follow install method instructions
  4. Step 4 - After installing Linux
Linux is an operating system, similar to Windows, but with many different versions due to the nature of being open source and fully customizable. To install Linux, you must choose an install method and choose a Linux distribution.

it was originally published two weeks ago, but didn't start gaining traction in open source OS communities until today.
obviously the main point of the article is about the Windows Subsystem for Linux, the toolset which should allow users to stick to Windows while also getting access to Linux's specific use cases. but then you get into Microsoft's info on "bare-metal" installs.
If you are good with a slightly more complicated install process and don't need access to Windows tools (like Outlook, Teams, Word, PowerPoint, etc), you can run Linux on bare metal to access the full potential of your hardware without any overhead from virtualization or emulation.
(for the record, there actually is a small selection of Microsoft applications with native Linux builds. such as the Microsoft Edge browser, Skype, and Powershell)
cue a full tutorial on how to setup a liveusb and install a Linux distribution as your default OS, obviously the instructions are your standard stuff. but it's incredibly amusing to see it on Microsoft's own website.

it's certainly not going to cause a full revolution of people converting from Windows to Linux. but it might lead to more casual users trying it out for the first time.

(for the record, there actually is a small selection of Microsoft applications with native Linux builds. such as the Microsoft Edge browser, Skype, and Powershell)

VS Code also has a Linux build, and from what I remember ran pretty amazingly well.

it's certainly not going to cause a full revolution of people converting from Windows to Linux. but it might lead to more casual users trying it out for the first time.

Honestly I've been considering it for a while. Again. For the fourth time this decade. W11 doesn't seem to be that amazing, I'm terrified of a subscription based Windows in the future, and Steam Proton has fixed the gaming problem quite nicely.

And Mint is basically easier to use than W11 at this point lol

I remember trying to convince the sysadmin in Junior High to convert all the PCs in the school to Linux.

VS Code also has a Linux build, and from what I remember ran pretty amazingly well.

Honestly I've been considering it for a while. Again. For the fourth time this decade. W11 doesn't seem to be that amazing, I'm terrified of a subscription based Windows in the future, and Steam Proton has fixed the gaming problem quite nicely.

And Mint is basically easier to use than W11 at this point lol
Steam Proton??

I really don't like using Windows at this point in time, even if it is what I've been growing up with in terms of PCs.
Sadly, work basically demands that I stick with Windows on my laptop instead of Linux.
And I honestly can't be bothered to dual-boot; might as well delegate my laptop to being a work only device, then.

Steam Proton??

Steam Proton is a compatibility layer built in into Steam as of a couple years ago, that lets you run Windows games on Linux (And I think MacOSX, too?)

It's not 100% perfect yet (games with specific anti-cheat or launchers used to have a lot of trouble running), but it will run most games in a completely seamless way, and in some cases even with better performance than in Windows.

I remember trying No Man's Sky and it running basically flawlessly. Euro Truck Simulator 2, too (In fact, the Windows version running through Steam Proton ran better than the native Linux port, lol)

Steam Proton is a compatibility layer built in into Steam as of a couple years ago, that lets you run Windows games on Linux (And I think MacOSX, too?)

It's not 100% perfect yet (games with specific anti-cheat or launchers used to have a lot of trouble running), but it will run most games in a completely seamless way, and in some cases even with better performance than in Windows.

I remember trying No Man's Sky and it running basically flawlessly. Euro Truck Simulator 2, too (In fact, the Windows version running through Steam Proton ran better than the native Linux port, lol)
Thanks, this sounds pretty dope.

Definitely gonna look into this some more.

It's a little surreal to see Microsoft actually offering tutorials on installing Linux, considering their historical stance. But it's also a great example of how the tech world is constantly evolving. The lines between different platforms and technologies are blurring more than ever.

From a comptia cybersecurity analyst (CySA+) viewpoint, this development is actually really exciting. Why? Because having a deeper understanding of multiple operating systems, like Linux and Windows, can provide a well-rounded view of potential vulnerabilities and threat landscapes.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds and what impact it might have on both the Linux and Windows ecosystems!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom