• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Eurovision Song Contest - Are you hyped?

lexony

Kremling
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
It is this time of year again where Europe comes together and acts like they have no issues at all with each other and holds a competition about which country has the best song of them all. Every year there are all kinds of entries: very dramatic, some weird, others just funny and a few are actually really good songs.

For those who have no clue what this Contest is all about, here a not so brief introductory:
What is the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC)?

The ESC is a Song Competition between most European Countries, countries culturally/geografically close to Europe and for some reason Australia. It is organized by the European Brodcast Union (EBU) which is owned by several Broadcast Organizations in different European countries. It was first hold in 1956 as the "Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson" with just a few countries. In 2024, 37 countries are taking part of the Contest.

The ESC is one of the biggest Music Competition Shows worldwide and has each year around 180 Million viewers. While most people just refer to it as "Eurovision", it's a label meant to be used for any show that is organised by more than one country in europe.

The original idea behind it was to have a friendly, non political competition in a newly more united Europe. Though this never really was true, the Contest is full of political controversies. For more recent examples: Some countries like Azerbaijan are taking part to tell everyone how great of a country they are, while being an authoritarian regime that wants no one to talk about their ongoing conflict in Karabakh. Others like Russia needed to be excluded for obvious reasons, while Israel keeps to be part of it because likely of money reasons (Eurovision gets sponsored by Moroccanoil, Company from Israel)

Despite all this, the contest remains popular in the general public of Europe. In recent years it has gotten quite important for many parts of the Queer Community. The background and expressivness of the Artist and the Staging got more important too, which people equally critisise and like. At least among most of my friends the ESC is something that they love to hate.

Personally I believe that while you can't look past the many controversies and the stances of EBU behind it, it is still great to have something like this possible on the European Continent.

How does it work?
  • Each participating country submits one song which gets already published at least 2 months before the competition.
  • Among other more specific rules, the song can't be longer than 3 minutes.
  • Then in May there are 3 shows; the first and second Semi-Final and the Final.
  • At each Semi-Final, it gets decided which countries will perform at the Final Show.
  • The big five, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the UK and the country where they competition is held (this year Sweden), are automatically part of the Final Show, because they are the biggest financial contributors.
  • The Decisions of who get qualified at the Semi Finals and who wins at the end is evenly decided by juries from all countries and a public vote. Each countries jury gives points 1-12 to ten other countres. The public votes for the best song outside of their country. If you are from an non-participating country, this year you can vote too! It will not count as much as from the participating ones though.
  • The Winning Country will then hold the competition next year (if possible).
Some trivia about Eurovision that tells quite a lot about Europe in general
  • The voting process gets critisised because of the Jury and Public often having very different favourites. It also often is not very fair. Juries of neighbouring countries most of the time give 12 points each other and if a country has a big foreign population of another country, they will all vote for their home nation.
  • After Irland had a winning streak three times in a row in the 90s, it was decided that countries are not forced anymore to sing in their own national languages and could also perform in English.
  • Most winning songs nowadays are performed in English, while Italian, French and Spanish also are quite popular. German and many middle european languages not so much.
  • Germany had a lot of flops in recent years and reaches both at the juries and public votes very little points. Many Germans believe it is because Europe wouldn't like them, but it propably is because their recent entries really were just kinda bland.
  • UK seems to see themselves in the same boat like Germany because of Brexit, even though they got second place in 2022.
  • Some countries don't actually want to win the contest because of how much money it would cost to host. It is said that they just send joke entries.
  • Ukraine won in 2022, but couldn't host the competition because of the attack of russia. It was hold in in the UK.
  • Many famous Singer and Songwriter went to the ESC to boost their careers. Famous examples are Celiné Dion, ABBA, Olivia Newton-John, Darude or Bonnie Tyler. Though not all were sucessful with their entries.
If you want to find out more, here you have a more detailed explenation and here is a summary of all Winners over the History of the Contest

This year marks the 50 year anniversary when ABBA won the competition back in 1974 with Waterloo. It will take place in their home country in Sweden, Malmö (the internet still is debating if it was a conincidence that Sweden won last year) from May 7th to May 11th. As for the contestants I think this year is especially interesting, because you can't really tell who will actually win. There are betting odds, but for now the top 10 still can change quite a lot until the competition.

My personal favourites are Switzerland, Nemo - The Code, Netherlands, Jost Klein - Europapa and Windows95man - No Rules!

Here is a full playlist and a shorter round up of all entries, if interested.

I am quite exited for this year, more so than the past few ones. But I don't think I would watch the actual show, because it is tbh honest quite boring over the whole duration (edit: and also because I'm not really too happy about that Israel didn't get excluded). But I'll maybe watch the final voting at the end, which can be quite entertaining with all the gloom and doom.

What about you? Are you hyped about the Contest? What are your personal favourites?

Last edited:
  • The voting process gets critisised because of the Jury and Public often having very different favourites. It also often is not very fair. Juries of neighbouring countries most of the time give 12 points each other and if a country has big foreign population of another country, they will all vote for their home nation.
This is the main reason most of my friends and I watch it, the hilarious levels of bias that often have little to do with the song and everything about carrying favour for whatever reasons. For a ‘non-political’ singing contest it’s at least the most entertaining chunk of European politics.

It's awful and that's why it's a good amount of entertainment. I usually watch it with the family for some good laughs but definitely boycotting it this year.

Not sure if I'll watch this year, they really should have excluded Israel. It will probably depend on whether friends do a viewing party or not.

Not super hyped but it's a train wreck I really enjoy watching 😀

My favourites so far are Windows95Man and Jost Klein but I haven't looked into all of them!

It is always a nice show to watch, but I prefer to start watching with at around 11pm, so i can skip all the fluff, which is usually very bad, full of dad jokes etc. Last year show was actually quite entertaining.
The point thing is always taking too long, but i really hate on the system, that the public vote stuff is handled separatly. As most of the time the public vote is totally different to the professional music snobs, the system is just confusing and long taking.

Nah.

Never been a huge fan and honestly forget it exists most of the time.

As someone who does not live in Europe, this always seems like such a magical thing to me

Also Windows95man lending credence to my theory that Finland maybe has the coolest artists

It is always a nice show to watch, but I prefer to start watching with at around 11pm, so i can skip all the fluff, which is usually very bad, full of dad jokes etc. Last year show was actually quite entertaining.
The point thing is always taking too long, but i really hate on the system, that the public vote stuff is handled separatly. As most of the time the public vote is totally different to the professional music snobs, the system is just confusing and long taking.
It is such a bad decision for any Show with Voting in mind because it lefts everyone of the artists more disappointed than they should be expect for the winner.

It is in a way too transparent and leads to toxicity: "Oh your song is actually a top 5 song by the public? Too bad the jury gave it only like 3 points" or "Yeah your artistic song is first place for now, but we all know that people actually hate you" or "You are equally hated by the jury and the public. Europe hates you".

If you have no stakes in it and don‘t care too much, it‘s actually fun to watch because you can literally watch people die inside live.

As for those who don‘t know what I mean, just watch the first 7 or so and the last 2 minutes of the public/tele vote in 2021 and you will get it:

Just imagine they would do this at The Game Awards. First present all Nominees, then announce how many points they got each from the Juries. Then wait like for a few minutes, sink in which Game is at the top and then slap the Public Votes on it. Especially with maybe more divisive titles, indies or games that might where not really played by either Publications or the General Public as much, you could draw all kinds of conclusions and even worse it would totally influence how some people would vote beforehand. It would be kinda entertaining but also horrible for Devs and the fans of those games. The internet would have an emergency shoutdown after that.

I know it's not the same and unlike for an Award Show, finding out who won a Singing Contest is way more important, but for ESC it would actually be better to turn the tension down a bit.

its pretty popular here in Australia (hence Australia not being remotely in Europe but paying to enter and broadcast the competition every year), but yeah the Israel inclusion this year is pretty grose and hard to defend so... probably a skip

Always avoid it like the plague tbh, I like the pan-European aspect of it but let's just say, I'm unlikely to like any of the terrible cheesy music.
Also, Israel being included means they can get royally fucked.
Only good thing that can come of it is Israel getting 0 Points from every single country.

As for those who don‘t know what I mean, just watch the first 7 or so and the last 2 minutes of the public/tele vote in 2021 and you will get it:

That's the most legendary and memorable televoting sequence ever.

I'm pretty excited, I love the show, this year's top contenders are all pretty great masterpieces so I will be glad no matter who wins.

Please refrain from downplaying ongoing conflicts that impact human lives and being dismissive of those sharing their concerns. - ngpdrew, MissingNo., IsisStormDragon, Tangerine_Cookie, Dardan Sandiego, Volcanic Dynamo
I never watch Eurovision but now that Israel is involved I am double not watching.
Israel is an important part in the ESC for several years, they already had four winners and are actually quite popular. And also when the current "military intervention" in Gaza is not helping to solve any issues troubling the whole area, it is an internal conflict. When Russia was doing their first "military interventions" in Ukraine, no one really bothered either and there were several other examples. As long Israel participants not trying to do any politics, I don't mind, considering the history of this event.

Israel is an important part in the ESC for several years, they already had four winners and are actually quite popular. And also when the current "military intervention" in Gaza is not helping to solve any issues troubling the whole area, it is an internal conflict. When Russia was doing their first "military interventions" in Ukraine, no one really bothered either and there were several other examples. As long Israel participants not trying to do any politics, I don't mind, considering the history of this event.
Thank you for telling me that you don't mind.

I refuse to watch it this year for obvious reasons. I'm disgusted by the whole situation.

Please refrain from downplaying ongoing conflicts that impact human lives and being dismissive of those sharing their concerns. - ngpdrew, MissingNo., IsisStormDragon, Tangerine_Cookie, Dardan Sandiego, Volcanic Dynamo
You guys really need to learn to separate politics from leisure. It's not like Eden Golan is directly responsible for the whole conflict. Just like russian singers and bands should not pay for the actions of a suit and tie psychopath.

You guys really need to learn to separate politics from leisure. It's not like Eden Golan is directly responsible for the whole conflict. Just like russian singers and bands should not pay for the actions of a suit and tie psychopath.
wasnt his song title is october rain until the backlash forced him to change the title to hurricane which by the way rhyme with october rain
he did not want to leave politics out of the contest why other people should do

I think it is fair to not watch it because of the current situation. Though you just have keep in mind that Israel is not the only problematic country attending Eurovision. Russia didn‘t get banned until recently, despite their Attack on Crimea or their many other issues they had over the years. The same is true as already mentioned for Azerbaijan. I think it is kinda similar to the Olympics, Politics are creeping in everywhere. In a way you can‘t escape it, even without Israel, if you want to watch it. The most important thing is that you are aware of this stuff, what you want to do with it is your own decision.

I can do whatever the hell I want.

People who don’t separate politics from leisure- most of the voting committees at Eurovision. Also Eden Golan, given their first choice of song. See also the mass support for Ukraine last year that wasn’t just for the performance, and both comparisons and preparations for this year. Eurovision tries to keep politics off the broadcasts of main stage, but is otherwise absolutely rife with the geopolitics around the countries involved.

“This Eurovision will be the most politically charged ever due to the Israeli war in Gaza and the humanitarian situation there,” says Magnus Ranstorp, a terror expert at the Swedish Defence University in Stockholm.

This, he adds, is compounded by the fact that it is taking place in Malmö, an international city with a young and diverse population (around a third of which was born outside Sweden) and a strong Palestinian community – many of whom have been attending regular protests against the invasion and are deeply saddened by the decision to welcome Israel to their home city while friends and family in Gaza are being killed.

Last edited:
I don't think Finland has as big a chance of winning as last year (I'm still upset), but at least Windows95man has a fun show. I also like the Spanish entry, but other than that none of the songs have really stuck out to me.

I apologize, I didn't mean to be offensive. Believe me these things affect me mentally, I'm not an insensitive sociopath or anything, that's why I try to focus on having a good time with the things I enjoy, like this contest, because otherwise I'd be tremendously depressed.

Back
Top Bottom