• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News ESA says that E3 will be back in 2023 with both a digital and an in-person event (UPDATE: set for June 13 to 16, separate industry and consumer days)

mazi

picross pundit
“We’re excited about coming back in 2023 with both a digital and an in-person event,” ESA president and CEO Stan Pierre-Louis told The Washington Post in an interview. “As much as we love these digital events, and as much as they reach people and we want that global reach, we also know that there’s a really strong desire for people to convene — to be able to connect in person and see each other and talk about what makes games great.”

I sure hope so. I miss the days where you had a week of just game announcements, trailers, etc. It probably won't be the same even if it does come back but I can dream.

I guess we'll see. Personally, I think we've proven we really don't need E3 anymore outside of just sticking to tradition. It feels like we're in the middle of "E3" right now in all but name.

I hope they’re able to do it and many companies participate. But they need to make it attractive for their partners.

Well there needs to be an event to announce the switch successor 🤔

Sure. Whatever you say, ESA.

To be honest I think they might still. People said E3 was dead after 2020 but then a bunch of companies still participated in a digital event in 2021. Nintendo would definitely be involved in the in-person events to demo their games.

I forget who talked about this, but some press members mentioned how disastrous last years' digital event was, because of ESA still charging the usual fees and stuff, despite being digital only. There'd been issues boiling for years by this point, but 2021 sounded like it really was the tipping point for everyone involved. Unless ESA changes a lot, including doing more to protect sensitive information, I'll legit be shocked if this goes through.

I'd give it a shot depending of the lineup. If Nintendo has a new console to show, then I'll probably go too.

Yay. I'm over Geoff Keighley's events and having all the gaming stuff focused on 1 week instead of haphazardly tossed about is way better.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but the longer they stay down the more time Geoff has to make SGF more fixed in the summer schedule. I still would much prefer an E3 style event but given their security fuck ups the last couple years they'll be at a disadvantage come 2023 and if they don't knock it out of the park it won't be coming back to its former glory, if ever, again.

If they can actually make it happen in person, then I think they have a chance, but an online only E3 is entirely superfluous.

200.gif

I vastly prefer every E3 that has ever occurred to every other large videogame event/conference. Having said that....that's only true because there was a much larger range of games represented at E3 compared to everywhere else. As much as I don't care for the Keighley stuff, 1) he's likely charging way less the ESA ever did, 2) he gives more control to the publishers/studios, and 3) he has a polished online presentation model. If this year's Summer Games Fest goes well, I don't see everyone dumping Keighley to return to E3.

The end result is that we'll continue to have the fractured summer announcement season with no single event dominating. Within that reality, I expect Keighley's show to continue to grow with the ESA utilizing name/brand-recognition to work with a shrinking pool of companies.

Having Nintendo already is a huge thing E3 has over SFG, if ESA is able to get 2/3 of the platform holders (probably Nintendo and Xbox) that allows them to get the third party publishers much easier. They want to be in the biggest event possible and E3 becomes for sure bigger than SFG if they have Xbox and Nintendo

Eh I could do without.

All I need is a Nintendo Direct and I'm fine.

Nintendo does the June Direct because of E3, without it many companies don't feel the same need to do anything in June.

Summer Game Fest is not appealing to all publishers.

We'll see this month if the commitment will be the same.

I predict a potential disappointment for those who expects the usual program.

It makes sense. There are loads of conferences in person this year. Videogames would be among the outliers in 2023 if big conferences remained 100% online or were cancelled.

I vastly prefer every E3 that has ever occurred to every other large videogame event/conference. Having said that....that's only true because there was a much larger range of games represented at E3 compared to everywhere else. As much as I don't care for the Keighley stuff, 1) he's likely charging way less the ESA ever did, 2) he gives more control to the publishers/studios, and 3) he has a polished online presentation model. If this year's Summer Games Fest goes well, I don't see everyone dumping Keighley to return to E3.

The end result is that we'll continue to have the fractured summer announcement season with no single event dominating. Within that reality, I expect Keighley's show to continue to grow with the ESA utilizing name/brand-recognition to work with a shrinking pool of companies.
E3 has inherit value as a presence in a physical place that Keighley will be unable to replace. There's a reason even companies like Nintendo with their own established digital format have still maintained a presence there, and Nintendo specifically is trying to help keep E3 alive. Digital showcases are unable to replicate the public demos, developers catching up and sharing ideas with each other, etc.

The exact value varies by company, and some certainly don't seem to think it's worthwhile. But the fact that Nintendo never withdrew after pioneering the Direct format and continues to back the ESA harder than just about anyone else shows they see something there that isn't just name recognition.

SFG missing three of the biggest publishers in Ubisoft,Rockstar and Nintendo already shows it will not be able to replace E3. (And there are other important publishers/developers missing like Koei Tecmo, CDPR, Techland or Konami)

E3 has inherit value as a presence in a physical place that Keighley will be unable to replace. There's a reason even companies like Nintendo with their own established digital format have still maintained a presence there, and Nintendo specifically is trying to help keep E3 alive. Digital showcases are unable to replicate the public demos, developers catching up and sharing ideas with each other, etc.

The exact value varies by company, and some certainly don't seem to think it's worthwhile. But the fact that Nintendo never withdrew after pioneering the Direct format and continues to back the ESA harder than just about anyone else shows they see something there that isn't just name recognition.
While I agree with everything you've said, I also believe that E3's biggest strength was when devs didn't have any alternative options for a summer showcase. There are many (especially the bigger ones) that will desire these in-person events, but I think the peak potential of E3 has been lowered.

If the ESA lowers prices to make E3 more attractive, I could see them regaining prominence. For a bunch of companies though, I think digital showcases like SGF will be the most economical choice.

Don't know if it's a thing for everyone but E3 really worked for me as advertisement. Usually I watched most of conferences and was aware of a lot titles that I wouldn't even bother on clicking if a saw on a headline of some game news site.

I think people underestimate how liked E3 actually was, and how disorienting this new non-E3 life is (edit: gaming life, I mean..that'd be odd). There are events galore, left and right, and all of them suck. Instead of one week where we get some pretty solid news, cool reveals, awesome booths, we now get these awkward nothing-burger digital events like Sonic Central, because everyone thinks they have to hold a digital event. E3 was a good way to bring together people who didn't have that much news to share but could bring demos for their one game (I mean...that includes Nintendo at one point). In 2020 and 2022, having no E3 has been a complete disaster. Everyone has been complaining about how the events are going. And then when ESA says "they'll be back", it appears most people whine and say "is it needed?"

Yes, yes it absolutely is. Look around you and read the room--nobody has enjoyed this awkward need for every tiny company to have a presentation, not to mention these Youtubers who are coming up with their own "gamefests" which have been just abysmal. E3 was a collective way for every single one of us to come together and enjoy gaming. We could all collectively discuss every minute detail and reveal together. Most of us don't have the time to watch these semi-spread out 100 digital presentations. It's much, much easier for us as adults to have a set schedule where we know what we can and cannot watch, and can even plan around something if we really, really want to see it live.

I guarantee you, if E3 was gone forever, we'd all miss it.

I think people underestimate how liked E3 actually was, and how disorienting this new non-E3 life is (edit: gaming life, I mean..that'd be odd). There are events galore, left and right, and all of them suck. Instead of one week where we get some pretty solid news, cool reveals, awesome booths, we now get these awkward nothing-burger digital events like Sonic Central, because everyone thinks they have to hold a digital event. E3 was a good way to bring together people who didn't have that much news to share but could bring demos for their one game (I mean...that includes Nintendo at one point). In 2020 and 2022, having no E3 has been a complete disaster. Everyone has been complaining about how the events are going. And then when ESA says "they'll be back", it appears most people whine and say "is it needed?"

Yes, yes it absolutely is. Look around you and read the room--nobody has enjoyed this awkward need for every tiny company to have a presentation, not to mention these Youtubers who are coming up with their own "gamefests" which have been just abysmal. E3 was a collective way for every single one of us to come together and enjoy gaming. We could all collectively discuss every minute detail and reveal together. Most of us don't have the time to watch these semi-spread out 100 digital presentations. It's much, much easier for us as adults to have a set schedule where we know what we can and cannot watch, and can even plan around something if we really, really want to see it live.

I guarantee you, if E3 was gone forever, we'd all miss it.
Well said. E3 was a thousand times better than whatever these akward underwhelming digital presentations are

Good because for once we know in advance when a Direct is and don't have to collectively lose our mind :p

Fantastic. This year was (and still is) horrible not knowing when we’d get the big game announcements. Still no big Nintendo summer Direct? Are you kidding me? At least we’ll know when it will be next year. Thank goodness.

After so many years of saying e3 is not necessary, when e3 finally doesnt happens everything seems to break down.

2020 doednt counts imo.

I missed e3 in 2020 and 2022.
Digital or not, I miss this event. It is so, so much easier to follow the showcases, they all happen in three days one after another, you know long in advance who will showcase and when.

2020, off course it was a complete mess thanks to Covid. I’m already tired of Geoff at the TGA and now he is doing GamesCom too ? Why ? They can’t find spoke persons in Germany, they have to import people from the USA ?

2021 ? Great with digital event, and Nintendo had one of their best e3 Direct (and solid Xbox Showcase too).

2022 ? I’m so tired of Geoff.

His « speech » against abuse in the industry was so lame and devoid of conviction that even Tommy Wiseau would be like « What an acting, Geoff, ha ha ha ! ».

I don't want to hear that whole "E3 is not necessary anymore" after the shitshow that was Summer games fest featuring the Rock shilling an energy drink.

I'm not sure a lot of companies will bother returning. Though I expect Nintendo probably will, so it's definitely better than what we have now

I'm not sure a lot of companies will bother returning. Though I expect Nintendo probably will, so it's definitely better than what we have now
I’m 50/50 on if Nintendo is going to be there because they decided to drop Gamescom this year. While people say that Nintendo is going to be there because of the ESA, I wouldn’t be shocked if they decline. Ultimately we are going to have to see what they do.

I’m 50/50 on if Nintendo is going to be there because they decided to drop Gamescom this year. While people say that Nintendo is going to be there because of the ESA, I wouldn’t be shocked if they decline. Ultimately we are going to have to see what they do.
They usually show off E3 demos at gamescom, so Nintendo's decision to skip gamescom might be directly related to there being no E3 demos they could have reused this year.

I still think it's going to have a very hard time recreating that E3 magic of old. Events like this only really benefit smaller announcements or mid-tier announcements now. The big third parties and platform holders are all realising they can promote their own wares Nintendo Direct style and still get the desired effect. Not to mention it's now going to be competing with Keighley's wild ride from now on.

Either way I'm not expecting Nintendo to be back in a meaningful way, or Sony or Microsoft for that matter. Maybe some floor presence and a trailer or two, but I think E3's time as THE one big game reveal fiesta has passed.

Back
Top Bottom