• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Epic Mickey Rebrushed announced for PC and consoles

yo, I audibly gasped, never thought they'd do anything with this one

And it looks like the dev is Purple Lamp. I thought they did good work with the Battle For Bikini Bottom remake, so fingers crossed they stick the landing here too

Shout-out to Doctre81 being the only person to find any evidence that this was a thing years ago

It looks really good! Glad this finally got announced.

Edit: Apparently not? See the posts below.

Last edited:
If the camera issue is fixed I’ll buy it. It looked like a lot of fun when it was announced at E3 2010 for the Wii

Epic Mickey returning ever was definitely not on my Partners Showcase bingo card.

Turning the whole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit thing into a brand new story kind of neat. I missed this on Wii so I’m mildly interested.

Tried to play it a few times but the camera litteraly kills it imo. Hopefully it will get fixed, if that's the case I could think about buying it because the premise of the game was really cool

Thq Nordic giving the game to Purple Lamp does not give me hope at all. The Spongebob remake had a low budget and the game was not remade to the level it needed due to money and time if I had to guess.

They said "faithful remake" but I'm hoping they fixed it up a little bit. Was really disappointed by it back in 2010 but I really did want it to be good so I hope this is.

This is a dream come true! I adored the Wii original, so seeing this game (and by extension Oswald the Lucky Rabbit) get another shot is everything I could have hoped for.

Here's a video comparing the original and remake's opening cutscene:

Gosh, the l improvement here is wild. The use of lighting and shadows here are gorgeous, and I love the updated models.

I’m really excited for this, I think it’s safe to assume the camera will be fixed but I’m hoping they fix the other problems as well, I remember it being difficult to see what you could jump on and what was just scenery and some horrible backtracking.

The original game frustrated me very early on and I quit shortly after. Spent all the time coloring an area I was in, progressed to the next area, went back to see if I missed anything and the entire area was black and white again. I thought that defeated the entire purpose of the game! I hope they fixed that with this one.

I never finished the original, so this might be a good chance to do so. It's such a cool game, one of the few "modern" (not so modern anymore lol) games to remind me of N64 era platformers but done well (decent budget).

And I hate how every single time that the game comes up everyone starts bitching about those early concept arts and how the game was not as nightmareish as they hoped. What the hell did people expect? And the game has a pretty intense atmosphere as it is, too

The original game frustrated me very early on and I quit shortly after. Spent all the time coloring an area I was in, progressed to the next area, went back to see if I missed anything and the entire area was black and white again. I thought that defeated the entire purpose of the game! I hope they fixed that with this one.
No. That’s not quite the purpose. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able to erase anything.

Shout-out to Doctre81 being the only person to find any evidence that this was a thing years ago

It looks really good! Glad this finally got announced.

This is developed by Purple Lamp, not the developer of the XIII remake.

Which is good as this means Purple Lamp won't be closed (unless this game bombs too) and Purple Lamp looked in massive danger of being closed as Spongebob bombed and they're owned by Embracer.

Yeah, Doctre got it wrong there, Maltese developers of XIII were developing a remake of a Disney game originally made by Ubisoft as they were contracted to Ubi. There's only one option for that: Donald Duck Goin Quackers. Should be cancelled by now.

Ah ok, well I guess Doctre81 still to me planted the seed of Epic Mickey because it made the most sense then.

I still have the Wii version, though I never did end up finishing it…

I don’t know if I am seeing enough here to warrant picking this up as opposed to… just playing my Wii copy.

But if you haven’t played the Wii one? I’d recommend this, it’s a surprisingly fun take on obscure Disney stuff. Some of the concept art is REAL creepy, I love it.

Never played the original, I remember it shocked everyone with its concept art when it was announced, but then it had none of that and just reviewed alright.

I might get it when it's on a deep discount.

Yet another. Platformer. To add to my backlog. This looks cool, one of the best announcements of the Partner. Will try this for sure

Looking forward to playing this on the pc! I only tried the second game on my 360 when it came out in 2012, but I sort of bounced off it. I do have the second game bc on my xbox series x maybe I should give it another shot

Which is good as this means Purple Lamp won't be closed (unless this game bombs too) and Purple Lamp looked in massive danger of being closed as Spongebob bombed and they're owned by Embracer.

SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom Re-Hydrated sold more than 2 million copies during the launch period, and it bombed?

Disney probably saved Purple Lamp from closing by giving them this project. Just a nice bonus from all this.

Disney probably saved Purple Lamp from closing by giving them this project. Just a nice bonus from all this.
They really did! Epic Mickey was the top trending game on twitter from the Direct and right now the most watched YouTube Direct video, almost 400k views already! This is gonna explode.

I remember the game being a deception back in 2010, so I don't know if some gameplay additions and better camera will "save" the game.

TIL Nintendo published the original game in Japan and made several camera improvements themselves alongside other QoL changes and bug fixes. Doesn't seem like it was perfect and I don't know how much it'll affect the remake, but it's interesting how much work they put into it.

Last edited:
TIL Nintendo published the original game in Japan and made several camera improvements themselves alongside other QoL changes and bug fixes. Doesn't seem like it was perfect and I don't know how much it'll affect the remake, but it's interesting how much work they put into it.
TIL, too, cheers! ☕

Linked thread is Painful to read hahah.

I always thought Epic Mickey had an awesome premise and style. Hope the substance can back that up.

Like others ITT I was really disappointed with the original and bounced off pretty quick. The term 'faithful' concerns me a bit but based on the additional info above about new moves I'm hoping this game is the realization of what I originally hoped it to be and will end up being very good or even great.

Yeah, Doctre got it wrong there, Maltese developers of XIII were developing a remake of a Disney game originally made by Ubisoft as they were contracted to Ubi. There's only one option for that: Donald Duck Goin Quackers. Should be cancelled by now.
Those developers have made games for multiple publishers. They weren't tied directly to Ubisoft. They probably got booted off the project by Disney just like they got replaced even on XIII. There was no Donald Duck Gone Quackers remake in the works for current consoles. This simply got handed to a different publisher and developer.

Those developers have made games for multiple publishers. They weren't tied directly to Ubisoft. They probably got booted off the project by Disney just like they got replaced even on XIII. There was no Donald Duck Gone Quackers remake in the works for current consoles. This simply got handed to a different publisher and developer.
Hmmm...
Many publications assumed this project was an Epic Mickey remake, due to the mention of Disney, but according to former staff it was actually a remake of Stubbs the Zombie for the publisher Aspyr.
Looks like it was neither...

Hmmm...

Looks like it was neither...
They are lying. The post said Disney and they scrubbed it after I reported it. Stubbs The Zombie isn't a disney game lol. That game also came out in 2021 and was not cancelled.

They are trying to save face. That was probably embarrassing being pulled off two projects in a row.

Back
Top Bottom