• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Entire gaming industry in shambles after it was discovered Miyamoto never said "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
It all started with a guy offering $100 if someone could find the original source of the quote.

Cue Ethan Johnson, who discovered a similar quote. Not by Miyamoto, dated to December 1997.

It appears the origin of the quote being tied to Nintendo dates back to a Usenet post made in November 1998, with allegations that a poster containing the quote existed in Nintendo's offices.

Needless to say, Ethan got the $100.
I suspect this classic quote
Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll.
Is also likely fake, unfortunately.

The entirety of gaming history RN:
thanos-avengers-endgame.gif

Last edited:
What if he said it offhand and not directly in any interview?

Also, not like it matters, most folks don’t even understand what the quote means lol

"If you can't handle me at my bad game, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my delayed game."

- Shigeru Miyamoto

”Ask not what your good games can do for you; but what you can do for your bad games”
Shigeru Miyamoto

Since Miyamoto had claimed ownership of the quote, I assume he must have said something in Japanese magazine that could be translated along those lines.

Figures. As the 16th president of America once said, "85 percent of quotes on the internet are made up."

The quote doesn’t really work anymore with cases like No Man’s Sky patching themselves into a good game, so oh well!

The quote doesn’t really work anymore with cases like No Man’s Sky patching themselves into a good game, so oh well!
So you're saying the Stinker Horseperson game might could be patched into Satisfactory Horseperson in the years post-release. 🤔

He also never said Donkey Kong Country had mediocre gameplay.
Miyamoto was closely involved in the development of the first DKC and was in contact with Rare the whole time. In retrospect it’s surprising that quote got as much traction as it did. He even said he was confused why people kept attributing it to him lol

Miyamoto was closely involved in the development of the first DKC and was in contact with Rare the whole time. In retrospect it’s surprising that quote got as much traction as it did. He even said he was confused why people kept attributing it to him lol
The only two games I remember Miyamoto saying he was disappointed in publicly were Zelda 2 and Twilight Princess.

He probably said something similar in Japanese that got translated into the memeable quote we have today.

Back
Top Bottom