• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Endless Games |ST| Slay the Breachlatro Survivors: Tetris Kart Edition

MissingNo.

𝑺𝑬𝑬 𝒀𝑢𝑼 𝑺𝑷𝑨π‘ͺ𝑬 π‘ͺ𝑢𝑾𝑩𝑢𝒀...
Pronouns
he/him
3lCcp7N.png

Ever caught yourself playing one of those dangerously addicting games that have infinite replay value even beyond the defined endpoint – if there even is one? Roguelikes/-lites are predestined for this. So are racing games. Sports games. Puzzle games. Sandbox games. Sim games. The list goes on.

Inspired by @meatbag's excellent Completed Games Thread series, I present to you a place where you can talk about the games you can't really complete. Falling back into the endless rabbit hole that is Diablo. Or Slay the Spire. Or Sims. Or Vampire Survivors. Games you play on and off again on the side, or while waiting for the next anticipated release to drop.

This is a place you can talk about how a sneaky mushroom ended your Dead Cells run, or how an unlucky drop prevented you from being the last one standing in Tetris 99. Or about how Balatro keeps you from tackling your backlog because it's just too addicting and you are definitely going to finally beat it if you put in just one more run. Or about how you got sucked into manger mode in FIFA EA Sports FC again, or into a new season in F1 career mode. Or how you can't stop building in Minecraft or Cities: Skylines, or how you can't stop playing Rocket League, or got back into Fortnite again, or how you are currently entering the 20th year on your Stardew Valley save file – the possibilities, much like the involved games themselves, are endless.

So step right in, log your runs, talk about your matches. Share the fun!

Played Slay the Spire yesterday. Had a run where I need more cards than I prefer. And didn’t have many defense cards at that.

Of course I get this jerk as the final run.

38b06510bba42f3ad8f0fdf53a8842a0.jpg

Of course I get this jerk as the final run
I hate that slimy bastard and his stupid turn-limit BS!

And oh yeah, finally the thread where I can confess about playing the same games over and over again instead of finishing new ones! I have four current "endless" addictions right now: the sublime fighter, Tekken 8, the undying deckbuilder Slay the Spire, the better-than-chess Into The Breach, and the survival sim Don't Starve Together, which I play with my girlfriend.

Then uhh I might also be playing a few more on the side... like Zombie Rollerz, Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart, etc.

Confession time for me as well. I'm guilty of abandoning working on my backlog, both recently and over the last few years, in favor of:
  • Diablo III – Ever since the Switch version is out, there are spells of time where I'm just sucked in. It's inescapable for me on a regular basis.
  • Dead Cells – Too much for me to not return to every now and then. And when I do, it's hard to pull away again.
  • Slay the Spire – One of the greatest "one more run" games of all time.
  • Vampire Survivors – The bullet hell that keeps on giving.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – I had managed to escape this one for the longest time, but I just had to return to it to complete my spirit collection.
Meanwhile, my backlog keeps getting bigger, and there's nothing to be done about it.

the better-than-chess Into The Breach
Aw man. I remember being really into this game for a while, then forgetting about it. Might be a good time to dig it out again!

---

PokeRouge still has its claws in me. Helps that the dev's still actively updating things and making the experience better. And it's fun to discover Pokemon you maybe never really used in the actual games. Venusaur with Sleep Powder and Leech Seed is such a neat Pokemon that's a solid backbone for whatever squishy attacking Pokemon you decide to bring alongside.

I mentioned this in the general discussion thread, but I just got back into playing a few runs of Slay The Spire each day a few days ago. Cannot wait for the sequel.

I mentioned this in the general discussion thread, but I just got back into playing a few runs of Slay The Spire each day a few days ago. Cannot wait for the sequel.
What would life be like when the sequel comes out...

Who am I kidding, life would be alternating between between Slay The Spire 1 and 2

I don't play many of these games but this is as good a place as any to make a PSA: Dicey Dungeons is on Apple Arcade now! You've never had less of an excuse to not play one of the best deckbuilding roguelikes of all time!

What would life be like when the sequel comes out...

Who am I kidding, life would be alternating between between Slay The Spire 1 and 2
Gonna be interested in seeing why they're making a second game instead of selling DLC for the first one.

My most recent Slay the Spire run ended on floor 50, at the Act 3 boss. Doughnut Boy and his friend were too much for me when I wasn't dealt any defensive skills on the turn they would have mattered most.

Such is life.

Every time I think "maybe I'll take a break from Vampire Survivors" they put out a new update or DLC and right back in the rotation it goes

I haven't played anything in months except for Final Fantasy XIV. I had big plans. Unicorn Overlord, Saga Emerald Beyond, Eiyuden Chronicle. Nope. All FFXIV all the time.

First time I played through this game I mostly played solo and stopped after playing through Shadowbringers. Started playing again early this year with some friends and I'm actually getting into a lot of the other things the game has to offer besides MSQ and optional dungeons/trials/raids. Started leveling up gathering classes a few days ago. Started actually caring about character glams this time. Started doing some relic weapons (I'm almost done with an ARR relic weapon and I would never recommend doing them jesus it sucks). Started doing beast tribe quests. I'm even collecting triple triad cards. Mistakes were made.

At this point I assume I'll be playing this game up through Dawntrail's release, but we'll see. TTYD is my all time favorite game. That'll be the real test of the hold this game has on me.

To circle back on my Slay The Spire talk from earlier, I'm hoping one of the characters in STS2 is all colorless cards, because some of those are a real hoot.

To circle back on my Slay The Spire talk from earlier, I'm hoping one of the characters in STS2 is all colorless cards, because some of those are a real hoot.
3EHvV6J.jpeg

here, have an official logoβ„’ for the thread. to certify this as a proper StarTopic.
GMm9pFEXUAArybX.jpg:orig

not really sure why i created this, considering the only "endless" games mentioned i play are Tetris and Mario Kart..

The Binding of Isaac is still the GOAT roguelite for me. Since hitting e in Balatro I'm not playing it quite as much anymore but I still do a couple of runs regularly

Now is the first time where I have dropped off Slay the spire for several months (about half a year) since I bought it in late 2021.
And now this thread reminds me about it πŸ˜…

I usually don't play much endless games, but I got really addicted to STS.
Played around 1300 hours across 3 platforms...
Got the true ending with the defect and the silent countless times, while ironclad and especially the watcher are still very hard for me.
I have yet to do quite a lot of ascension levels (never raised it above 3 until late last year and I am now at 8 or 9).

Will go back to it for sure - or move on to the sequel. Very hyped for that!

The curse of running out of defensive cards at the worst possible time continues. Another Slay the Spire run lost in a similar manner. The Silent is pretty fun though once you get some nice synergies going, but starts out really slow.

I have yet to do quite a lot of ascension levels (never raised it above 3 until late last year and I am now at 8 or 9)
I should try the higher Ascension levels again... I've been playing STS as a wind-down game.

The Binding of Isaac is still the GOAT roguelite for me
Still one of the greats for me. Deliberately did not get it on Switch because I knew it was going to eat chunks out of my time.

The Silent is pretty fun though once you get some nice synergies going, but starts out really slow
She's my favorite too! Well, it's between her and Defect.

Warframe is my current go-to for mindless farming. So many things to grind for, and the basic gameplay is great. Assume it counts here because it is effectively endless - technically it also has a roguelite mode.

They just released a new Prime Frame (Frames are sorta like characters or classes, Primes are upgraded versions with a unique look meant to represent the frame in its prime), Protea Prime, so I'm gonna be going for that.

I love manager mode on FIFA/EAFC. I have 2 files: One where I win titles with FC Barcelona, since we will never be good again in real life, and another one with a Segunda DivisiΓ³n/League One team that I take to play European Football.

I just bought EAFC on the switch and did my first 2 seasons with Barça, and now I'm looking for a cool lower division team (preferably in England, since they have the most divisions). Any suggestions? I was thinking about Sheffield Wednesday but they're too high up for such a run.

Warframe is my current go-to for mindless farming. So many things to grind for, and the basic gameplay is great. Assume it counts here because it is effectively endless - technically it also has a roguelite mode.

They just released a new Prime Frame (Frames are sorta like characters or classes, Primes are upgraded versions with a unique look meant to represent the frame in its prime), Protea Prime, so I'm gonna be going for that.
Hell yeah, it definitely counts!

I love manager mode on FIFA/EAFC. I have 2 files: One where I win titles with FC Barcelona, since we will never be good again in real life, and another one with a Segunda DivisiΓ³n/League One team that I take to play European Football.

I just bought EAFC on the switch and did my first 2 seasons with Barça, and now I'm looking for a cool lower division team (preferably in England, since they have the most divisions). Any suggestions? I was thinking about Sheffield Wednesday but they're too high up for such a run.
I played so much FIFA manager mode back in the PS360 days. Always meant to get back into it, but I kind of fell off with FIFA18 and haven't really been interested enough to dive back in since.

I played so much FIFA manager mode back in the PS360 days. Always meant to get back into it, but I kind of fell off with FIFA18 and haven't really been interested enough to dive back in since.

I always end up buying FIFA late (or playing it on GamePass when it comes out) and playing it to death for a few months before going back to my backlog. For "free" or 15€ it's definitely worth it. Also, in spite of glitches and other stuff, it's finally Frostbite on Switch, which makes it a lot more interesting gameplaywise than previous entries. For cheap, I'd give it a go.

EDIT: Last year's FIFA 23 also had Ted Lasso's AFC Richmond which was a ton of fun to take from the Championship back to the Premier League

Last year's FIFA 23 also had Ted Lasso's AFC Richmond which was a ton of fun to take from the Championship back to the Premier League
Oh wow, I completely missed that, lmao.

I should try the higher Ascension levels again... I've been playing STS as a wind-down game.

Same for me. It gets really hard and with the restrictions later it isn't as much fun for me. But sometimes I get a bit ambitious.

@ endless mode in an endless game.
I can't really remember how it went down exactly, but once I tried an endless run where you get nerfed each time you finish the 3rd act boss but you start over with your set of cards.
In a weird combinations of relics and options for the endless run, I received curses all the time and each card that I received was automatically doubled, but each curse made my attack stronger - and I could play curse cards, and I drew cards from the deck as long as I had energy, which I gained all the time...

It was a mess. I had hundreds of cards, my attack was insane and it killed the game (came to a crawl on Switch) :)

Oh wow, I just had the most amazing run with the Silent. Everything came together. I had tons of Shiv generation and some sweet synergies around that, and some nice poison stacking to boot. I had three (3!) Backstab cards to start each encounter off on a strong note. I was on a roll. Things went just swimmingly. By the third Act, I was an unstoppable menace, until...

b1aRHYf.png

Suffice to say, I didn't make it.

Everyone hates the snail lord. Seriously though, that bloke's the nastiest counter to the common deckbuilding strat of collecting as many cards as you can. I've learned to trim down my decks because of them. And definitely invest in those defensive cards and potions!

Yes, it can be annoying when you have bad draw-luck (or you don't pay attention to the countdown) - but I hate the awakened one more.
I like playing with power cards and it gets stronger with every power card during the first phase.

I just beat that dude in a run last night. The key was having a few good potions, because potions aren't cards. 😎

Me: "Oh yes, the new contra dlc from vampire survivors is coming next week, let me get a quick play to remember everything"

mQsqtCf.jpeg

What a great day for indies, animal well and now hte contra DLC for Vampire Survivors. Manage to finish my first run and wasn't expecting fighting Big Fuzz, it was really cool when you enter that room. Gonna try to get all the unlockables on the weekend.

Also the remixes goes hard for the stage

I really got to get back to VS some day. My biggest issue is that I have made a ton of progress on the Xbox version before the Switch release, and now I'd rather play on Switch, but redoing all that progress seems a bit daunting.

Currently sticking with StS for my fix, and I'm still having difficulty completing a run with the Silent, but at least I'm unlocking more stuff along the way, which is nice and should make things easier in the long run.

I really got to get back to VS some day. My biggest issue is that I have made a ton of progress on the Xbox version before the Switch release, and now I'd rather play on Switch, but redoing all that progress seems a bit daunting.

Currently sticking with StS for my fix, and I'm still having difficulty completing a run with the Silent, but at least I'm unlocking more stuff along the way, which is nice and should make things easier in the long run.

Hopefully they manage to have a stable version of the cross save soon. I started playing it on mobile, and when the switch version released I started from 0 and surprisingly it didn't took as much time as I expected to get to the progress I had.

Anyway managed to finish a run with Bill and I'm really liking the new weapons

i've randomly gotten into vampire survivors a bunch myself lately for some reason

I bought it back in 2022 and only played it for a half hour or so and have had it installed ever since without touching it again then I randomly played it for 5 hours or so over the weekend

if I keep playing it i'll probably want to buy some DLC soon, only one at a time to not overwhelm myself, should I buy them in release order or what?

i've randomly gotten into vampire survivors a bunch myself lately for some reason

I bought it back in 2022 and only played it for a half hour or so and have had it installed ever since without touching it again then I randomly played it for 5 hours or so over the weekend

if I keep playing it i'll probably want to buy some DLC soon, only one at a time to not overwhelm myself, should I buy them in release order or what?
There's no order; each one has its own gimmicks, so you can pick the one you are more interested in.

I've been continue playing Operation Guns, have half of the characters unlocked now and working on the other half. I also started the adventure mode (my first one actually) and I forgot how weak you are when you start from 0.

Also it was really cool that they actually added Simondo Belmont, but they didn't keep the super deformed proportions from the game

After around 5 hours was able to get all the unlockables of Operation Guns

0lG1nAP.jpeg

L0EHiOz.jpeg

Really liked most of the new weapons and the sinnergy with the base ones is really good so you can create as usual some broken combinations.

Going to continue and finish the included adventure

Closing in on 500 hours on Slay the Spire. Have all achievements and beat Ascension 20 with both Ironclad and Silent.

Currently trying to climb ascensions with the defect but not sure if I really want to. Losing all the time and just waiting to get lucky is kinda demoralizing. Should probably play on lower ascensions but then I lack the extrinsic motivation. Please send help.

Pretty sure last night is the first night I beat the Donu and Deca bosses, but because it was in the daily climb, I didn't get the achievement for it.

Back
Top Bottom