• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News "Empire of the Ants" is a hyper-realistic Ant strategy game powered by Unreal Engine 5

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

well, this is certainly a game that would get a magazine cover using an image that proclaims "yes, this is an actual pc game screenshot." towards any interested buyers.

this notably isn't a new IP either. it's based off a novel released in 1991, and previously got a video game adaption back in 2000 (or 2001 for those not living in Europe). IGN was notably not a fan of it's graphics back then.
If the little things weren't enough, the game is just ugly. When zoomed out as far as you can possibly go, the ants look okay. But when you zoom in on the action at all, things get really ugly. Look for some huge pixels and some of the ugliest ants that you have ever seen. Their abdomens are modeled with the cross poly system of resource saving creating ants that look like darts with yarn for legs and antennae. Environments aren't all that much better. Some of the ground textures are actually fairly decent, but plants and resources are just as pixilated and ugly as the ants. What I really have a problem with is that there is close to no character in the game. You would think with the slight personification the ants undergo in the story, you would get something to that effect. Unfortunate.
GOG actually got a re-release of the original game back in April, and i certainly wouldn't have taken a second look at this new installment without it.

it also wouldn't be a proper Ant game thread without mentioning this game's likely original source of inspiration. Maxis's classic "Simant".
5189098-simant-windows-3x-front-cover.jpg

while it's unfortunately no longer being sold anywhere, it was a very popular title. standing alongside other classics like Simcity and Simtower.

reminded of this headline
looks unreal engine to me, though i don't see what the core gameplay loop is.

Disappointed that the reveal trailer there doesn't feature "Empire Ants" by the Gorillaz. Then again, basically all trailers would be improved by featuring "Empire Ants" by the Gorillaz.

Back
Top Bottom