• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

News "El Paso, Elsewhere" (A.K.A. the REAL Max Payne 3) is coming to PC/Xbox on September 26th.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

first of all, you really should drop everything you're doing and download the free demo off Steam. it's only about 45 minutes or so.

you back? alright, good.

so to recap what you just witnessed. this is what Max Payne would have looked like if it Remedy not only kept making them, but also threw in the supernatural elements from their later games like Alan Wake and Control.
it's an utterly wild concept, and Strange Scaffold has absolutely nailed it.
the level design is surreal and built like a classic nightmare sequence (fitting for a hotel haunted by the lord of the vampires) the narration hits just as hard as James Mccaffrey's iconic voice (particularly awesome as Xalavier doesn't seem to be a professional VO, only having a few smaller roles to his name.) and the music is a mix of real heavy beats and catchy hip-hop tunes.

the only real problem i have, and this is partly down in personal preference. is that the in-game cutscenes don't really work visually. i would have rather preferred it if they went all in on the homage by taking live-action photos and using them for graphic novel sequences. or even do animated cutscenes like the trailer.

Oh, interesting. I thought the developer's name sounded familiar. Strange Scaffold also released Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator and An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs.

Those two games are on Switch. This looks pretty cool, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

it's out

and the critic reviews are glowing (currently 83 on Opencritic)
El Paso, Elsewhere takes a solid shooter foundation and elevates it with a compelling and raw look at humanity as told through a story of monsters and mythology. Outstanding performances, sharp writing, and some kick-arse combat collide to make a unique and memorable experience.
- Press Start
Once you understand what the game’s chilling, intimate story is saying and how it’s reinforced by gameplay and aesthetics, you’ll have a hard time putting it down. El Paso, Elsewhere is one of the most captivating indies of the year.
- Digital Trends

I don't know if I'm the only one who enjoys listening to gameplay with no commentary while driving - it can feel almost like a radio play sometimes. Anyways, I was surprised by the quick turnaround for El Paso, Elsewhere getting one. (spoilers in the video, obviously.)

Back
Top Bottom