• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes launches on April 23rd (out now!)

I'm pretty sure I chose Switch when I backed this game. I remember the developer originally was saying they'd target the next Nintendo hardware, but clearly that's not out yet. Hopefully this gets both Switch and Switch 2 optimizations because this sounds rough and I don't think I want this game enough to be willing to buy it on a second platform.

I haven't looked at this game too closely, but at first glance, I don't immediately see why this game would be a technical struggle on Switch. If I were them, I'd have made that my target platform and then scaled up from there.
I remember asking myself why would a new Nintendo hardware would be needed too back then, but... yeah, seems like sticking with the Switch 1 was probably a bad idea. Because now they had to count on the lower denominator.

is it true that euip can be exhanged only between active members of the party?
what about experience points: are thei gained by ALL, or just by the active members?
is it possible to save anywhere/anytime, or you are forced to visit certain places?

You can only change equipment for your active party if you're out walking around the world. At your base there's an NPC who lets you swap gear for the entire party at once and change runes for everyone.

Exp is only gained by the 6 active combat party members but the game is like Suikoden in that it awards large amounts of catch up Exp if you're underleveled so if you bring a level 15 character through a battle in an area meant for level 30 characters they'll gain like 6-8 levels in a battle.

The game has an auto save feature at bigger points but you shouldn't rely on it. It has save points that are fairly frequent at the classic positions in an rpg of Inns, opening of dungeon, midpoint and right before bosses.

You can only change equipment for your active party if you're out walking around the world.
I see they got their inspiration from Anthem (why on Earth is this a thing in a RPG when even Dragon Quest 1 allowed you to swap gear in dungeons and towns).

Quoted by: em
I see they got their inspiration from Anthem (why on Earth is this a thing in a RPG when even Dragon Quest 1 allowed you to swap gear in dungeons and towns).
There may be a bit of miscommunication here. You can swap your party's gear in dungeons and town. (In those situations, you can't swap gear for characters who aren't in the party. )

The previous poster meant "You can change equipment for only your active party if you're out walking around the world," not "You can change equipment for your active party only if you're out walking around the world".

You can only change equipment for your active party if you're out walking around the world. At your base there's an NPC who lets you swap gear for the entire party at once and change runes for everyone.

Exp is only gained by the 6 active combat party members but the game is like Suikoden in that it awards large amounts of catch up Exp if you're underleveled so if you bring a level 15 character through a battle in an area meant for level 30 characters they'll gain like 6-8 levels in a battle.

The game has an auto save feature at bigger points but you shouldn't rely on it. It has save points that are fairly frequent at the classic positions in an rpg of Inns, opening of dungeon, midpoint and right before bosses.

thank you, this is coherent with my own experience, glad to have confirmation

played this for a hour or so, all I have time for till tonight but so far so good

all very early stuff so nothing to really note so far(last thing I did was just entering the first dungeon) but been enjoying it so far

There may be a bit of miscommunication here. You can swap your party's gear in dungeons and town. (In those situations, you can't swap gear for characters who aren't in the party. )

The previous poster meant "You can change equipment for only your active party if you're out walking around the world," not "You can change equipment for your active party only if you're out walking around the world".
Oh, phew, I totally got that wrong.

Thank you for correcting me and sorry :s

~4 hours in now and so far my only real annoyance is the encounter rate

I don't think mine is even bugged or anything(i'm playing it on PC and only have a 60Hz monitor so I think that dodges the various bugs with that) but I just wish it was a bit lower, the areas are kinda big and it gets old fighting dozens of random battles in a dungeon

other than that i've been enjoying it so far, still pretty early though so the games pretty much just meandering around recruiting people without much in the way of plot just yet and I don't have the base yet etc

Developers "aware" and officially "hard at work as a top priotity" to improve Switch performance issues

Glad to see they've acknowledged Switch issues and that they are working on it.

Since there doesn't seem to be an OT yet I'll leave my first comment on the game here:

Perielle makes an excellent first (and second) impression, I hope she stays important for the whole game.

Since there doesn't seem to be an OT yet I'll leave my first comment on the game here:

Perielle makes an excellent first (and second) impression, I hope she stays important for the whole game.
There’s some tropey and gimmicky characters, but overall I’ve been impressed by the quality of the writing/dialogue and voice acting. Perielle is a highlight for sure

Since Nintendo Everything doesn't seem to source their article, I believe they may be referring to these threads.

---

I'm a bit torn on these posts:
1. Yay, I'm glad they're acknowledging the technical issues!
2. But, hmm, will they actually be able to meaningfully improve the game's performance?
3. The Switch is a fixed platform. There's no way these issues weren't known before release, so assurances and efforts now feel a little empty.
4. Still, yay.

Went ahead and picked up this on Switch since it's 20% off, just did the base game for now. Just have my fingers crossed that they really are able to improve performance some. Will hold off on playing it for now though.

Since Nintendo Everything doesn't seem to source their article, I believe they may be referring to these threads.

---

2. But, hmm, will they actually be able to meaningfully improve the game's performance?
3. The Switch is a fixed platform. There's no way these issues weren't known before release, so assurances and efforts now feel a little empty.
4. Still, yay.

Well, we have seen many Switch games becoming way better with patches
Let's hope these developers are

Keen
Capable

Finger crossed

Well, we have seen many Switch games becoming way better with patches
Let's hope these developers are

Keen
Capable

Finger crossed
Absolutely. Sometimes the improvements are really impressive and worthy of so much praise. Other unfortunate times, patches can still leave room for improvement. (Pokemon Gen 9...) Fingers crossed indeed! And if all else fails, I'm still hoping for a Switch 2 upgrade, since my backlog is so full of JRPGs and it could take years before I get around to this if I go in chronological order.

Looks like they fixed the major bugs which is great, but nothing about Switch performance yet unless I missed it:

Not yet but they did acknowledge Switch performance and that they were focused on it.

Looks like they fixed the major bugs which is great, but nothing about Switch performance yet unless I missed it:

In my post above (quoted below), the embedded posts/threads acknowledge Switch performance issues but don't announce any fixes yet.

---

4. Still, yay.

I have my copy since yesterday but didn't have the will to play it yet. The game issues on the switch is very demoralizing. I might just sell mine if I can sell it for a good deal (I bought mine with a $10 discount voucher). I'll probably just wait for an update or play on the next gen system.

It's amazing that it's 2024 and the Switch version for games like this continues to be an after thought.

Man, despite not Kickstarting, I became fairly hyped for this project, especially as of late... I remember when Suikoden II first became available to download on PSN, and downloaded that immediately due to the gem/classic status it had been met with. I probably only had played for 5-10 hours before life got ahold of me, but I REALLY enjoyed what I played.

This game just… doesn’t have it. I’ve probably played for 5-7 hours but am ready to give it up.

-There are quite a few stats and other combat/battle elements that feel underexplained.
-The sprite work is great but the 3D backgrounds are straight out of the Dreamcast-era. I think even the lighter-remastered Suikoden collection coming soon looks better.
-Not only does the political epicness/scale/grandiosity/etc. hit you in Suikoden II fast from what I can recall, but there was also a twist relatively early. The tone of the game seems much more light.
-I don’t recall obnoxious characters such as Liam or Mellore in Suikoden II. I guess this kind of ties into my point directly above. Is this game more about anime tropes and the power of friendship?
-Fishing, cooking, war battles, beigoma… all of them may have been added as Kickstarter goals but none of them feel as fleshed out as they should.
-I’m playing this on Game Pass, but can’t wait to get back to Unicorn Overlord on Switch, and wait for Konami’s remaster of Suikoden I & II… What a shame that Rabbit & Bear couldn’t get what’s likely to be their best-selling SKU more optimized…

As someone who has not played a Suikoden game, is this game just as good as the Suikoden series or would I be better waiting for the Suikoden 1/2 remaster?

As someone who has not played a Suikoden game, is this game just as good as the Suikoden series or would I be better waiting for the Suikoden 1/2 remaster?

I only played 5-10 hours of Suikoden II on PS3 when it became available to download over PSN, but I remember being MUCH more invested/enthralled in it than I have been with Eiyuden thus far.

-I don’t recall obnoxious characters such as Liam or Mellore in Suikoden II. I guess this kind of ties into my point directly above. Is this game more about anime tropes and the power of friendship?
Lian is a full sale ripoff of Nanami from Suikoden 2 lol and Mellore is basically a take off Meg from Suikoden as well with a deliberately more magical girl themed focus

I also tend to stick annoying tagalong kids into reserve, never to be heard from again in rpgs. However, surely Eiyuden, like Suikoden, with its vast range of characters to choose from as a central conceit, is one where finding 6 characters that aren’t irritating is feasible?

I also tend to stick annoying tagalong kids into reserve, never to be heard from again in rpgs. However, surely Eiyuden, like Suikoden, with its vast range of characters to choose from as a central conceit, is one where finding 6 characters that aren’t irritating is feasible?
They're pretty varied in terms of archtype so if you cant find 6 I think thats more of a personal problem

They're pretty varied in terms of archtype so if you cant find 6 I think thats more of a personal problem
I always kinda figured part of the point of ‘hundred heroes’ is there’s someone for everyone to enjoy, from quirky academics to stalwart knights, from chaotic good adventurers to morally flexible rogues to mascot-type fun characters. It’s going to be unlikely for any one player to think they are all wonderful. But I still prefer it to having a cast of, say, six or 8 where I can barely put together a combat party of characters I don’t think are morons, crap designs, irritating tropes or all three :D

Man, despite not Kickstarting, I became fairly hyped for this project, especially as of late... I remember when Suikoden II first became available to download on PSN, and downloaded that immediately due to the gem/classic status it had been met with. I probably only had played for 5-10 hours before life got ahold of me, but I REALLY enjoyed what I played.

This game just… doesn’t have it. I’ve probably played for 5-7 hours but am ready to give it up.

-Not only does the political epicness/scale/grandiosity/etc. hit you in Suikoden II fast from what I can recall, but there was also a twist relatively early. The tone of the game seems much more light.
Eiyuden is an E for everyone type of game, or whatever that rating is in other countries. Regardless Suikoden 2 was a lot darker while still have plenty of calmer moments, I agree this game is way too tame/lighthearted for the type of setting and story it's trying to tell. There's a reason Luca Blight is so memorable.

i'm ~13 or so hours in and i've been enjoying it so far, i'd agree that it falls a step or two short of greatness though so if Suikoden 2 reaches that level(I wouldn't know i've never played it) I can see why people keep comparing it to that and finding it wanting

i'm still enjoying it enough that i'll probably finish it though which is by no means a given with me so I do have a fairly high opinion of it overall

as for the annoying character talk I think having everything voice acted amplifies that a bit, it's great for characterization to have them all voice acted but it definitely also makes it much harder to ignore how much Mellore annoys me

Mellore didn't annoy me all that much, really, but the thing is she's only useful for a couple hours maybe at most and then you can bench her and move on to other party members. Just use who you like! Some characters are definitely flat-out better than others, but there are a lot who are more or less interchangeable so just use the ones you want to.

Overall I've found the voice acting and dialogue to be quite good - sure there are a few characters like Mellore who are going to stand out and be a little grating but they're pretty much all optional and nothing that's going to bother you much if you've played very many JRPGs with similar characters before.

The plot and tone is something that I'm not as sure of, though. I'm 20 hours in and there's been some standard politicking and some things have happened, but not much has really grabbed me and there's not a whole lot of direction. I'm hoping that things take a turn soon and kick into gear a bit more.

Mellore didn't annoy me all that much, really, but the thing is she's only useful for a couple hours maybe at most and then you can bench her and move on to other party members. Just use who you like! Some characters are definitely flat-out better than others, but there are a lot who are more or less interchangeable so just use the ones you want to.

Overall I've found the voice acting and dialogue to be quite good - sure there are a few characters like Mellore who are going to stand out and be a little grating but they're pretty much all optional and nothing that's going to bother you much if you've played very many JRPGs with similar characters before.

The plot and tone is something that I'm not as sure of, though. I'm 20 hours in and there's been some standard politicking and some things have happened, but not much has really grabbed me and there's not a whole lot of direction. I'm hoping that things take a turn soon and kick into gear a bit more.

it's kinda hard to put my finger on why exactly but i've definitely had a few moments where i've essentially thought "this isn't really clicking but feels like it's a step away from being really good if it was slightly different"

I have reached the point where you start to manage your base/city. How long until Perielle officially joins the party, and when she does, will it be as a playable party member, or just as a "manager" (as I like to call them) to some kind of facility?

Last edited:
I have reached the point where you start to manage your base/city. How long until Perielle officially joins the party, and when she does, will it be as a playable party member, or just as a "manager" (as I like to call them) to some king of facility?

i'm just before you recruit her myself and expect probably like 5-10 hours from the castle unlock i'd say, there's a fairly long dungeon you have to go through and there's also a bunch of optional exploration for recruitment and such so it'll depend on how much of that you do,

as for whether she's a playable party member or not yes but from what I hear she unfortunately has some pretty awful stats

I have reached the point where you start to manage your base/city. How long until Perielle officially joins the party, and when she does, will it be as a playable party member, or just as a "manager" (as I like to call them) to some king of facility?
I got her around 20 hours in, once you get to Hishahn after the Treefolk area. She can be either a combatant or a support

Back
Top Bottom