• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes launches on April 23rd (out now!)

Finally. Game looks cool, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Surprised to see this in the Direct. This wasn't targeting Switch when they first announced it, they were hoping to bring it to successor instead. They confirmed Switch version much later.

And the early 2024 RPG train keeps rolling! So many RPGs to look forward to. Been excited for this one for a very long time.

Ah well, a month isn’t long at all, not like there aren’t other games to play. I’m hoping I’ll have finished Unicorn Overlord by then, and maybe Legend of Legacy too

I'm rather hyped for the game honestly. Can't wait to get to it eventually.

Even being someone who has never played a Suikoden before the focus on world building the series is known for has me super hopeful for Eiyuden to captivate me in a major way. Pair that with the HD-2D inspired (while retaining its own flair) visuals and well... I'm 100% on board.

(I played the closed backer beta for about half an hour and am enjoying myself so far. It's definitely a throwback to the more locked-down 90s-style JRPGs, which is going to take some getting used to coming from playing Tears of the Kingdom, but it's quite charming.)

For any backers of the game getting their physical copy now, 505 have asked people not to start playing the game until after a bug patch, you may be unable to finish the game if you start playing now.

reviews New
Didn't know reviews would come out on a Sunday.

1713712689242.png

Edit:

Last edited:
I dont remember the last time an embargo was on a Sunday.

Seems like Ill wait for patches on this one lol. From performance to load times there are things that they need to iron out.

Nintendo life reviews goes into details.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is the epitome of a flawed gem—the kind of game that does a lot of things right and we’re sure will command a dedicated legion of fans, but has legitimate problems that are tough to overlook. The expansive narrative, gorgeous spritework, and addictive combat all help make it an easy recommendation to any classic JRPG fan, but bear in mind that it can feel dated in its design philosophy and that the Switch version has a lot of performance problems, at least at launch. If you can get past those issues, this is an enjoyable and immersive RPG that mostly achieves what it set out to do.

Last edited:
Having a Series X, and a PS5, loading times are pretty much a thing of the past, the fact the Switch version has so many and they are long is a pretty damning black mark against B&R.

The Switch should be the natural home of ECHH, and yet I am seeing so many people say play it anywhere else.

this is all so confusing between reviews dropping on a Sunday and the 3 different release dates(4 if you wanna count the separate release date for physical versions too)

I dont remember the last time an embargo was on a Sunday.

Seems like Ill wait for patches on this one lol. From performance to load times there are things that they need to iron out.

Nintendo life reviews goes into details.

I'm pretty sure I chose Switch when I backed this game. I remember the developer originally was saying they'd target the next Nintendo hardware, but clearly that's not out yet. Hopefully this gets both Switch and Switch 2 optimizations because this sounds rough and I don't think I want this game enough to be willing to buy it on a second platform.

I haven't looked at this game too closely, but at first glance, I don't immediately see why this game would be a technical struggle on Switch. If I were them, I'd have made that my target platform and then scaled up from there.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is the true spiritual successor to the Suikoden series, capturing what made those games magical and expanding on the premise a hundred-fold. It tells a well-written and verbose tale of courage and endurance, but adherence to some fairly brutal old-school design precepts means it won't appeal to everyone.

Of course, pushsquare doesn't mention the Switch version and its technical shortcomings.

I've played it a bit and haven't been super impressed. There's a real lack of depth in combat, QOL is all over the place (pretty important in these kinda games to me) and I'm not that hopeful that the narrative can carry the game. It's pretty hard to make a game with dozens and dozens of characters interesting if the combat doesn't have depth, I feel only Suikoden 2 managed to do that properly, maybe 5.

Maybe I'm just growing out of these type of spiritual successor jrpgs though, I thought Sea of Stars was extremely dull too.

I've played it a bit and haven't been super impressed. There's a real lack of depth in combat, QOL is all over the place (pretty important in these kinda games to me) and I'm not that hopeful that the narrative can carry the game. It's pretty hard to make a game with dozens and dozens of characters interesting if the combat doesn't have depth, I feel only Suikoden 2 managed to do that properly, maybe 5.

Maybe I'm just growing out of these type of spiritual successor jrpgs though, I thought Sea of Stars was extremely dull too.

Honestly, Chained Echoes is the only one that has really truly impressed me recently.

The Push Square review is promising for me (I'll probably get the game for PS5 to avoid technical issues) - I don't mind a little old-school RPG jank and menu tax as long as the combat, story, and characters are interesting enough

I’m gonna wait the extra month for the physical copy and see if there’s any talk about a performance patch on Switch.

My warning sign to lay off the hype was when Easy Allies' biggest Suikoden stan Isla got a chance to play Eiyuden Chronicle for a preview never even considered picking it for their fantasy critic league.

Gonna have to check out what she's thinking now about the final build! I haven't given up hope that the gem in "flawed gem" shines stronger than the "flaws.

I'm 20+ hours in and it's one of my favorite games of the year. The story's been excellent, the VA is fantastic and every recruit is voiced AND they chime in during story scenes where you wouldn't expect them to, the PS5 version looks great (do NOT post that trash from twitter that's faking what it looks like, I have it on my 4k tv and it looks perfectly sharp), the OST's good and it just feels like the most Suikoden game I've had and wanted since Suikoden 5. This is exactly what I wanted out of it.

Just a warning for German players, you propably should play the Game in english. I'm not sure about the other languages but this clearly was translated very badly and with no context and no QA at best and machine translated at worst. Which is sad, wasn't the additional translation even a reward for the backing? I still will support the dev team, but they should have taken more care for translation.

is it true that euip can be exhanged only between active members of the party?
what about experience points: are thei gained by ALL, or just by the active members?
is it possible to save anywhere/anytime, or you are forced to visit certain places?

Is anyone actually playing this on Switch? Realistically, how bad is it?

Quoted by: em
Is anyone actually playing this on Switch? Realistically, how bad is it?

My partner (a big Suikoden fan) is. The load times are the biggest problem.

How well can you tolerate PS1 Final Fantasy style loading in 2024?

My partner (a big Suikoden fan) is. The load times are the biggest problem.

How well can you tolerate PS1 Final Fantasy style loading in 2024?

hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to PC or wait to see if Switch gets some patches.

hmmm, maybe I'll just stick to PC or wait to see if Switch gets some patches.
Yeah I’d wait and see what patches come up. I usually barely notice stuff like frame rate issues, but what I really notice and dislike in rpgs is long load times on area transitions and for short random battles in a game with hundreds of them, it always feels like the game is about to crash.

Yeah I’d wait and see what patches come up. I usually barely notice stuff like frame rate issues, but what I really notice and dislike in rpgs is long load times on area transitions and for short random battles in a game with hundreds of them, it always feels like the game is about to crash.

Ya the framerate stuff is whatever to me, but the loading would get old fast. Thank god Unicorn Overlord loads fast.

Surely not smooth on Switchzl with long loading times
Star Ocean Second Story R has better performance for a recent comparison
That said, surely is playable so far
My main concerns are about "QoL" stuff like saving, experience points share, random encounters

I need to play more to have a better understanding

Performance wise I can check which aspects should be improved with the incoming first day patch (I have a list from the publisher about this)

I have it on xbox series x and ps5. Only had time to start the game and try it for 5 minutes, but it seems interesting so far.

NintendoWorldReport’s review of the Switch version was savage

In short, the Switch version runs like a dumpster fire and looks like the trash inside said dumpster. I’ve lost multiple hours of progress to screen freezes and a crash to the Switch home menu, and it’s entirely possible that I’ve spent even more time than that just watching loading screens or waiting for the menus to stop hitching. The frame rate jumps all over the place, and slows significantly during the strategic war battles that are as unattractive as they are unnecessary. There’s enough of a mess here that I’m not sure a hundred patches would be enough to clean it up."

If I didn’t get Eiyuden with the Best Buy B2G1 free deal, I’d cancel my preorder for sure after that review. Hope it gets a bunch of patches otherwise I don’t think I’m going to bother :/
Yeah I’m gonna wait for patches, which is a shame as I’ve been looking forward to it for years. High random encounter rate combined with long screen transitions usually = crash city in modern games, I’m tired of Switch versions of games running poorly and getting put out in this state anyway. I don’t care that they want all versions to ship at the same time, if I’m paying £50 for a media product I’d expect it to at least be playable to a reasonable standard and not be frustrating.

Yeah I’m gonna wait for patches, which is a shame as I’ve been looking forward to it for years. High random encounter rate combined with long screen transitions usually = crash city in modern games, I’m tired of Switch versions of games running poorly and getting put out in this state anyway. I don’t care that they want all versions to ship at the same time, if I’m paying £50 for a media product I’d expect it to at least be playable to a reasonable standard and not be frustrating.
Interestingly the crew on Axe of the Blood God were talking about how the encounter rate was almost too low on the PC version - and that it might be tied to clock speed or refresh rate or something like that? Something seems to be making the encounter rate low on PC and high on Switch

Which is just wild to me to have this level of difference in different versions of the game.

Interestingly the crew on Axe of the Blood God were talking about how the encounter rate was almost too low on the PC version - and that it might be tied to clock speed or refresh rate or something like that? Something seems to be making the encounter rate low on PC and high on Switch

Which is just wild to me to have this level of difference in different versions of the game.
That’s really interesting. And I guess playtesting didn’t pick it up as they didn’t play them side by side or something?

Found this from Jason Schreir, apparently it's framerate according to him?

Yeah that seems like a huge bug if it’s making random battles not appear on PC but making it run hot on Switch

Cooking one is obviously still a bug but there’s something funny in a game’s cooking minigame judges just hating everything. Who do they think they are, TV chefs :D

They've been working on this for ... 4 years i think? The Kickstarter started in 2020, right?

Anyway, they worked years on this, they might've just delayed it again for 2-3 months for polishing and QA.

I know it's a small dev studio and not everyone can afford doing overwhelming QA and polishing and willingly delay (even internally) games as long as it takes, but a few months shouldn't have been a problem.

They've been working on this for ... 4 years i think? The Kickstarter started in 2020, right?

Anyway, they worked years on this, they might've just delayed it again for 2-3 months for polishing and QA.

I know it's a small dev studio and not everyone can afford doing overwhelming QA and polishing and willingly delay (even internally) games as long as it takes, but a few months shouldn't have been a problem.

I agreee, but let's keep in mind that there will be a day-one patch aiming, among other things, to solve the following:

• Fixed progression issues.
  • Fixed graphic display glitches.
  • Game balance adjustments.
  • Optimized background graphics
  • rendering.

Back
Top Bottom