• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #397 review scores - Dragon's Dogma 2, Shiren the Wanderer 6, Pepper Grinder, Harold Halibut, Princess Peach: Showtime!, and more

mazi

picross pundit
ETclMML.png

Reviews:
Dragon's Dogma 2 - 9
Rise of the Ronin - 6
Children of the Sun - 7
Harold Halibut - 5
Open Roads - 5
Bulwark: Falconeer Chronicles - 6
Pepper Grinder - 6
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island - 9
Alone in the Dark - 4
Mars After Midnight - 8
Princess Peach: Showtime! - 7

Cover - UFO 50
Hype - Phonopolis, Tails of Iron 2: Whiskers of Winter, Hyper Light Breaker, Visions of Mana, Wax Heads, Void Sols
Hype Roundup - Judas, Enotria: The Last Song, Marvel Rivals, Rebots, Dungeon Clawler
Studio Profile - Blue Manchu
The Making of - American Arcadia
Time Extend - Vampire: The Masquerade
The Long Game - The Finals

Last edited:
Good review for Shiren then. I’m playing the DS one (Tower of Fortune & Dice of Fate) at the moment

A 5 for Harold Halibut is unfortunate

7 for Peach is higher than I thought from Edge

Shiren has been a critical darling

Dragon's Dogma 2 is a weird whiplash, but in the opposite way than you normally see

Shiren and Peach are the two surprises for me. Not bad respective scores.

I'd personally swap the scores for Rise of the Ronin and Dragon's Dogma 2 after beating both, but oh well.

it's not any better on PS5 either

I have no major problems playing on my Series X and PS5 right now even with the drops in the city but refunded the PC version because it crashed many times in the first hour and would not even hold 30fps in the first crowded area. They need to do better on PC to get my money there.

I never had any major problems with Dragon's Dogma 2 even if it crashed and ran like shit. I dunno, I can look past that stuff and still consider the game charming. However, now that some time has passed I start disliking the game more.

It's a good game, I've enjoyed it at the moment, but it feels like either Capcom didn't give devs enough money or devs overestimated how hard it is to make a game this big. Enemy roster is effectively the same as the first game, and the more you go, the less there is. Battahl kinda fumbles the story and the third area just rushes to the end with an area so empty that they needed a massive kaiju boss to cover up that there's like one cave in total.

The post-game is also less interesting than the first one, and even if I chuckled at the game finally saying "Dragon's Dogma 2" it's probably a very big mistake since some people might think "oh boy, twice more game!" and no, it's like 10%

DD1 was a showcase of a weird RPG with strange mechanics that was not unlike Breath of the Wild in how it tried to rethink the usual formula of such a game. However, with a sequel to something like that I simply expect more. DD2, IMO, doesn't provide. It's effectively just same but with bigger world and if we keep the analogy going, it would feel more like BOTW quadrupled in size but with the same runes as opposed to something like TOTK

PC port for Dragon's Dogma 2 didn't run that bad for me personally so I can see it not running too bad for a lot of critics.
Seems critics really loved the game overall and I tend to agree with that more than the fanbase consensus, I wasn't super into DD1 but definitely prefer 2 from the 20+ hours I played.

Wait, UFO 50 on the cover?? Does it say it’s close to releasing then? Been waiting on that for years!

Sad about that Harold Halibut score, it looks amazing and was hoping the gameplay would match. Edge do have unique opinions sometimes though so will wait to see more impressions on it.

I'd personally swap the scores for Rise of the Ronin and Dragon's Dogma 2 after beating both, but oh well.
I'd actually agree with this take (though I'd raise DD2 to 7).

I adore both games, but Ronin actually has quite a fun loop (owed largely due to the great combat) and a probably the best narrative in Team Ninja's "Nioh-likes" to date. Meanwhile DD2 lacks quite a bit that the original game had on release, and it just is disappointing after waiting so long.

Wow at Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island. I really enjoyed what I played of another Shiren game I have for Switch. I should return to it some day.

That's what DD2 deserves. What a game. Hope they do a good job when they get it on Switch 2 down the line.

the shiren 9 is a strange one. it didnt look particularly appealing or notable from the trailer. am i missing something there?

the shiren 9 is a strange one. it didnt look particularly appealing or notable from the trailer. am i missing something there?
edge's score is not really an outlier. the game has reviewed very well.

Wasn't too into the Peach demo but a 7 out of Edge is like an 8.5 elsewhere. Hm...

From what I hear the demo doesn't do the best job at showing everything the game has to offer or something.
I didn't play the demo so I can't say anything about that but I enjoyed the game. Game has its problems. Like getting 100% was too slow of a process for me. I had a similar issue with Cereza and the Lost Demon, and some power ups are duds, but if I were to give a score 8.5 sounds about right. Final boss was epic. Simple combat for the most part but the spectacle was cool.

Back
Top Bottom