• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #377 review scores - Splatoon 3, Return to Monkey Island, and more

you can like something without being a fan

So people like it but underrate it? I don't agree with those Schrodinger reasonings. Splatoon is judged for what it is: an amazing concept held back by poor decisions (latency, tick rate and so on) which is, for some of us, starting to lose a bit of its freshness after the third iteration.
Still a great game, but 7-8 seems fair to me.

Sequels to innovative games get held to higher standards, and that's fair. Splatoon has had two very safe sequels, and yet ideas for how to expand the gameplay practically write themselves. It's disappointing, especially from Nintendo - but not necessarily bad. 7 is, to me, the natural number you give to games that are disappointing but not bad. That's what it's for - it's like a universal review code.

So people like it but underrate it? I don't agree with those Schrodinger reasonings. Splatoon is judged for what it is: an amazing concept held back by poor decisions (latency, tick rate and so on) which is, for some of us, starting to lose a bit of its freshness after the third iteration.
Still a great game, but 7-8 seems fair to me.
I never said I agreed with the argument. I just wanted to say that someone can like things without being a fan of them.

Good grief.

Parody stuff.
Not really! I think it’s a pretty fair opinion. Splatoon 2 came out 2 years after the first game and really wasn’t very different at all. 3 isn’t all that different, either, but it does add some excellent new mechanics, a bunch of extra customization, and a much better campaign.

So basically, unless you like this game, you don't like this game?
No, fans being the gamers.

I don’t think the media appreciates it as much.

To me, it’s one of the best IPs in a long time and think a lot of the media misses the beauty of it over nitpicking
(The movement alone makes gives it more speed and freedom than any shooter I’ve ever played).

I think its sequels not doing anything new sometimes gets highlighted over other games of the same ilk that fall in those trappings.

Last edited:
The criticism of Splatoon 3 is identical to 2. "Could've been DLC, basically a port, doesn't justify a sequel" etc and I am once again on team That View is Objectively Wrong and Why Don't All Sequels Get This Criticism.

The criticism of Splatoon 3 is identical to 2. "Could've been DLC, basically a port, doesn't justify a sequel" etc and I am once again on team That View is Objectively Wrong and Why Don't All Sequels Get This Criticism.
"Splatoon 2-3 could have been DLC. Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 in the span of 5 years are totally fine tho."

It is often times criticism coming from folks who don't see the competitive nature behind it.

You can criticize/discuss games and their worth as sequels but all this DLC talk from folks who don't have any idea about the development side of things is absolutely frustrating to see.

And tbh I can't shake the feeling of that most of those critics are just immensely disappointed that Splatoon isn't singleplayer focussed.

Not to say I don't understand the score because my limited multiplayer experience was unstable at best and I still think they don't provide enough freedom to enjoy the modes you wanna play at any given time. And that alone can dampen the experience for quite some people.

Personally speaking it is my GOTY so far because I adore the singleplayer this time.

Back
Top Bottom