• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews EDGE Magazine #377 review scores - Splatoon 3, Return to Monkey Island, and more

mazi

picross pundit
fexylcyxkaijgkyqvd8j.jpeg

Reviews:
Splatoon 3 - 7
Roadwarden - 9
Steelrising - 5
Metal: Hellsinger - 7
Return to Monkey Island - 7
The Case of the Golden Idol - 8
Sunday Gold - 6
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow - 7
Tinykin - 6
Wayward Strand - 7
Riley & Rochelle - 6

Cover - The Callisto Protocol
Hype - System Shock, Pentiment, Hubris, The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me, Deliver Us Mars, Mars First Logistics, Dragon Quest Treasures
Hype Roundup - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Gungrave Gore, Shadows of Doubt, Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Pikmin 4
Studio Profile - Milestone
The Making of - Deathloop
Time Extend - King's Field
The Long Game - The Tomorrow Children: Phoenix Edition

Last edited:
Couple nice scores in there!

Splatoon 3 is an interesting one. I’m loving the game and in many ways it’s super well put together, and yet the online experience is kind of a mess, and playing online is the core of the experience. I have no idea how I would score it

From the first entry Splatoon has always been a 10/10 game at the core dragged down by what's build surrounding it. A 7 is still low, but depending on the arguments in the review I can either cry foul or respect the score.

The 7 for Return to Monkey Island makes me equally curious about the text. Just a case of classic point and click adventure style design topping out at that range these days?

After playing so much Splatoon 3 that I see squids when my eyes are closed, I'm looking forward to reading EDGE's critiques when my issue arrives.

Other than some rough edges and lots of comm errors, it's been great. Although it's my first Splatoon, which probably helps

Yeah, I'm very curious about that Splatoon 3 7. I'll have to read that review.

7 is a good score. And one of the main components of the game, the online functionality, has been very poor. And I'm enjoying the game a lot.

I respect Edge for keeping the 10 very elusive. It's recently been (more or less) for legitimately near perfect games, as opposed to games that are just very good. But Splatoon at a 7? I would hard disagree. An 8 definitely. But Splatoon really does not ever get the review respect it deserves. It is a meaty game and lots to do, with an amazing MP (absolutely hindered by bad online currently). There are much worse games that get better scores. Still, I do respect them.

Splatoon is my game of the year but I can see why it would review lower elsewhere. I just vehemently disagree.

I imagine Edge fall into the camp that want Splatoon 3 to have bigger, more noticeable changes at this point. I haven't played yet myself, so I won't pretend to know what's changed since 2; but I suspect the lack of any major new modes is enough for Edge to enjoy it, but not be wildly impressed.

OP updated

from the splatoon 3 review
The cumulative effect of all these features makes this the most complete-feeling Splatoon to date. But for the most part it feels like we're chasing the giddy sugar high the original gave us, without ever quite getting there: the returning Squid Sisters only highlight Splatoon 3's struggles to live up to their "stay fresh!" catchphrase. For its many qualities this is a game into which we fully expect to sink hundreds of hours - when it comes to big new ideas, the kind of killer hook with which any sequel earns its stripes, there are precisely as many here as there are clouds in that beautiful blue sky.

OP updated

from the splatoon 3 review
Back to the old argument of why does this sequel not have lots of new shiny things?!

I don’t need “big new ideas” as I love Splatoon for exactly what it is… Splatoon. It’s easily my game of the year and I have fun every single time I play it.

Saying that, please fix the online.

Splatoon 3 a 7 is about right. It's a fun game but multiplayer side could've just been updates to Splatoon 2 and the campaign a DLC. It's about as half-measure a sequel as you can get.

I think Return to Monkey Island is by far the best Point&Click Adventure in a long time. Great Story, controls and graphics/animations. Most reviewers seem to agree. Would like to know Edges reasoning behind the relatively low score.

I love Splatoon but I have to agree with those saying it feels like they could just be updates for Splatoon 2. There really isn't much that makes it feel like a '3' so far. With that said, more Splatoon 2 is still worth at least an 8 from me.

I think Return to Monkey Island is by far the best Point&Click Adventure in a long time. Great Story, controls and graphics/animations. Most reviewers seem to agree. Would like to know Edges reasoning behind the relatively low score.
7 is not a relatively low score from edge tbh. the last paragraph of their review:
The result doesn't feel like a triumphant conclusion to a 32-year-old tale; rather, its value lies in giving its original creator an opportunity to play in his beloved sandbox one more time. In both its puzzle design and its storytelling, Return To Monkey Island plays it safe and for long-time fans, the cosy comforts it delivers will likely be enough of a reason to join Threepwood for one more adventure. After more than three decades, we leave Monkey Island with not only the knowledge of what the secret truly is, but also convincing evidence that even Ron Gilbert may not be able to surpass Ron Gilbert.

With the online connectivity being what it is and the lack of big changes or additions to the game, a 7 seems pretty fair, even if I'd personally score it higher

I swear I'm gonna drop "This could have been DLC" posts in threads about single-player games that justify their existence 90% on story-grounds.

Thanks for adding the paragraphs, @mazi.

I swear I'm gonna drop "This could have been DLC" posts in threads about single-player games that justify their existence 90% on story-grounds.

Thanks for adding the paragraphs, @mazi.
Splatoon is a multiplayer gamer, and 3 feels exactly like 2. That's what people are going to base their opinions on.

Bruh I hate edge sometimes. Not just because of the low Splatoon score here l. Tinykin deserves wayyy higher then a 6, that's bs.
Wait! What!? I was so caught up in the how on earth is the Splatoon score only a 7 that I didn’t notice Tinykin’s score. A 6 is absolute nonsense. I loved that game and thought it incredibly charming and fun, so much so that I’m hoping for dlc or a sequel.

Yep. And it is related to your post because people are going to have different standards for single and multiplayer games, but yep.

Setting mechanical innovation as the only standard by which a multiplayer sequel gains value - whereas for singleplayer sequels the justifications for their existence expand to the full scope of video game qualities including storytelling among other factors - while at the same time adopting such a simplistic view of gameplay mechanics that Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3 and supposedly Splatoon can be said to feel "exactly" the same is incomprehensible.

Setting mechanical innovation as the only standard by which a multiplayer sequel gains value - whereas for singleplayer sequels the justifications for their existence expand to the full scope of video game qualities including storytelling among other factors - while at the same time adopting such a simplistic view of gameplay mechanics that Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3 and supposedly Splatoon can be said to feel "exactly" the same is incomprehensible.
That's not what people mean when they say it could have been an update or DLC. They're just saying the game is so similar that it doesn't feel like they're playing a sequel. It doesn't mean there is no value to a full games worth of brand new content.

Multiplayer games are the ones that already get updates and add-ons, the Splatoon series does that as standard. Single player games really don't do that. That's why this specific comment is made about Splatoon.

Bruh I hate edge sometimes. Not just because of the low Splatoon score here l. Tinykin deserves wayyy higher then a 6, that's bs.
Wait! What!? I was so caught up in the how on earth is the Splatoon score only a 7 that I didn’t notice Tinykin’s score. A 6 is absolute nonsense. I loved that game and thought it incredibly charming and fun, so much so that I’m hoping for dlc or a sequel.
it's a pretty positive review
From doughnut platforms to glockenspiel staircases and vast structures built from cardboard boxes and kitchen roll, the worlds are inventively conceived, if more contrived in their construction than Chibi-Robo's. But while the basic fetch-quest structure palls slightly as the end nears, there is something to be said for a seven-hour adventure where we encounter just one momentary camera issue; much more for a 3D platformer from a small, promising studio that doesn't wilt too much under comparison with its inspirations.

it's a pretty positive review
It just seems a really low score next to all the others that seem to average around 8. All of this just goes to show how much people focus on game scores though. I usually laugh at some peoples reactions to them and yet here I was with my torch and pitchfork at the ready to defend Splatoon’s honour…

tenor.gif

am still baffled with how Nintendo handled Splatoon 3

but maybe I shouldn't be, since the sales reflect that maybe they knew what they're doing, maybe it's all about marketing

am still baffled with how Nintendo handled Splatoon 3

but maybe I shouldn't be, since the sales reflect that maybe they knew what they're doing, maybe it's all about marketing
If you mean the online issues, many multiplayer games face issues at launch. That rarely kills a game if they fix it soon enough.

no it's not about the online, it's about how incredibly similar and redundant it is as a sequel
As someone who played a lot of Splatoon 2 I will say that i greatly prefer 3. The new movement additions greatly improve the flow of several weapons which, combined with some balance changes, makes the meta a lot less centralizing around certain weapon types / specials.

no it's not about the online, it's about how incredibly similar and redundant it is as a sequel
Well I agree that it's very very similar to 2, to the point where I could go play 2 right now without having any adjustment period.

But also, Splatoon 2 is awesome, so more of that isn't really a bad thing. It's kind of like Mario Galaxy 2 vs Odyssey. Galaxy 2 is very very similar to 1, but it's still amazing. Not everything needs to be an Odyssey in that sense.

That's not what people mean when they say it could have been an update or DLC. They're just saying the game is so similar that it doesn't feel like they're playing a sequel. It doesn't mean there is no value to a full games worth of brand new content.

Multiplayer games are the ones that already get updates and add-ons, the Splatoon series does that as standard. Single player games really don't do that. That's why this specific comment is made about Splatoon.

The standard for multiplayer is updates paid for by loot boxes or battle passes or overpriced cosmetics. A $20 solo campaign every year doesn't sustain continued support on the level Splatoon is going for. Sequels are an alternative solution and offer different opportunities than fully-fledged GaaS models. DLC can't completely scramble subs and specials across weapons. DLC can't reset everyone's gear progression so people looking to jump in don't start out miles behind long-time players. DLC can't add new stuff that fundamentally doesn't work with existing content.

Commercially, Splatoon 3 is justified. Product-wise, Splatoon 3 is justified. Artistically, it's up for evaluation but it'd dumb to judge singleplayer and multiplayer games by different standards when it comes to standalone worthiness like singleplayer DLC (formerly known as expansion packs) aren't a well-established thing.

The standard for multiplayer is updates paid for by loot boxes or battle passes or overpriced cosmetics. A $20 solo campaign every year doesn't sustain continued support on the level Splatoon is going for. Sequels are an alternative solution and offer different opportunities than fully-fledged GaaS models. DLC can't completely scramble subs and specials across weapons. DLC can't reset everyone's gear progression so people looking to jump in don't start out miles behind long-time players. DLC can't add new stuff that fundamentally doesn't work with existing content.

Commercially, Splatoon 3 is justified. Product-wise, Splatoon 3 is justified. Artistically, it's up for evaluation but it'd dumb to judge singleplayer and multiplayer games by different standards when it comes to standalone worthiness like singleplayer DLC (formerly known as expansion packs) aren't a well-established thing.
Well it seems we just have different standards. Splatoon 2 DLC absolutely changed the sub and specials on existing weapons. And resetting stats isn't really a feature? As for the new stuff that doesn't work with existing content, I really can't think of what you're referring to. Squidroll maybe? And there is a big difference between most expansion packs and full sequels. I'm sure most single player expansions wouldn't pass as sequels and they would be called out if anyone tried. Like if Nintendo tried to pass off the Fire Emblem or Zelda BotW DLC as sequels, they would absolutely get flak for that.

Splatoon 3 is justified on every level. It's going to be a full games worth of new content and has every right to exist. Should be and could be DLC are two completely different statements. If this game was Splatoon 2 DLC I wouldn't bat an eye because the two games feel exactly the same. It shouldn't be DLC because that would make a lot less sense on every level. It's just that the games feel super similar to many people. I play Splatoon at a pretty high level and I had to make almost no adjustments to get into 3. I'd have almost no adjustment period if I played 2 right now. Same can't be said for Smash or Mario Kart games where each one feels fundamentally different (not counting Kart 7 in my comparison since I dunno much about that game).

Well it seems we just have different standards.

Different standards for multiplayer and singleplayer was the original point and now your latest post really has nothing to do with it anymore.

As a last thought I'll note that multiplayer games have, if anything, less room to do things differently than singleplayer games. People play a multiplayer game because they like the mechanics, maps, rules, etc. largely the way they are and if anything changed too much they'd stop. Singleplayer games get to switch things up on one front, say gameplay, as long as they still stay recognizable in other ways that fans are equally or more strongly attached to like art style, story or characters.

Splatoon 2 has a ton of new content though. Unless you just mean mechanically speaking, then sure, they're very similar.
Salmon Run and a lot of tweaks to other modes. The campaign may as well have been a copy-paste job!

Different standards for multiplayer and singleplayer was the original point and now your latest post really has nothing to do with it anymore.

As a last thought I'll note that multiplayer games have, if anything, less room to do things differently than singleplayer games. People play a multiplayer game because they like the mechanics, maps, rules, etc. largely the way they are and if anything changed too much they'd stop. Singleplayer games get to switch things up on one front, say gameplay, as long as they still stay recognizable in other ways that fans are equally or more strongly attached to like art style, story or characters.
My latest post directly comments on the statements you made in yours. And of course people have different standards for service games and single player games. They're different types of games. It's why Nintendo can release Splatoon and then add a bunch of content later on. If they released Zelda and we had to wait for 70 percent of the content, we'd be pissed. The different standards make sense, and it's why a game that is constantly updated like Splatoon gets the DLC comment a lot more than single player games that ship with almost all the content there. It's a fair comment and you're seeing the same thing now with Overwatch 2, because a lot of people don't feel the difference between the two games.

Salmon Run and a lot of tweaks to other modes. The campaign may as well have been a copy-paste job!
Content wise, Splatoon 2 has tons of new maps, weapons, sub weapons, Salmon Run, Clam Blitz, etc. It's not a port?

My latest post directly comments on the statements you made in yours. And of course people have different standards for service games and single player games. They're different types of games. It's why Nintendo can release Splatoon and then add a bunch of content later on. If they released Zelda and we had to wait for 70 percent of the content, we'd be pissed. The different standards make sense, and it's why a game that is constantly updated like Splatoon gets the DLC comment a lot more than single player games that ship with almost all the content there. It's a fair comment and you're seeing the same thing now with Overwatch 2, because a lot of people don't feel the difference between the two games.

Content wise, Splatoon 2 has tons of new maps, weapons, sub weapons, Salmon Run, Clam Blitz, etc. It's not a port?
I did say “basically” a port.

I skipped all the discourse over a fairly arbitrary review score to chime in with a nod to Roadwarden. I hadn't heard about this game and I'm glad I looked it up... It's basically a massive fantasy choose-your-own-adventure book, digitised with lovely pixel art. Happy to see folk port-begging on Reddit. I'm sure it will come to Switch.

Back
Top Bottom