• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #375 review scores - Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Live A Live, Immortality, and more

mazi

picross pundit
Reviews:
Stray - 7
Immortality - 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 8
Live A Live - 9
We Are OFK - 8
As Dusk Falls - 6
Escape Academy - 6
Witch Strandings - 5
TombStar - 5
Last Call BBS - 8

Cover - Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

(source)

Last edited:
Live A Live got 9? Now that's surprising. It really is good but I expected Edge to lower its score due to its length.

Also, I already was interested in OFK, now with that 8, I'm def getting it.

I'm fine with the scores, even for Xenoblade and happy up too see Live A Live get a 9. Two great RPG experiences hit the Switch in July and they're both great additions to the RPG library!

Eight is exactly what I expected, and I was still disappointed. Would have been more excited about a seven to be honest, at least it would have been more spicy.

Edit: also, what's this Immortality game with a 10?

Edit 2: it's a Sam Barlow (of the Her Story fame) game, here's a trailer.

10 for Immortality, huh. I'll have to check that out. It's also getting a Netflix mobile release if you don't have an Xbox/are a "PCs are for work" person. (Or you can wait 3 months to a year for the Switch port)

Looking forward to leafing through the Mario + Rabbids preview.

Not played any of Sam Barlow's games (keep meaning to) but great score for Immortality

Wait, aren't 10/10's awfully rare from Edge? Is Immortality that good?
I counted 21 games here https://www.metacritic.com/publication/edge-magazine?sort_options=critic_score&num_items=30, and though I'm not sure how accurate this is, it's fair to say they are very rare.

It should be noted that they have historically rated Sam Barlow games highly, Telling Lies and Her Story both got 9/10, even though the former wasn't received that well by other outlets (Metacritic average 80-84 depending on the platform).

Live A Live got 9? Now that's surprising. It really is good but I expected Edge to lower its score due to its length.

Also, I already was interested in OFK, now with that 8, I'm def getting it.
LaL's length probably helped with the score if anything.

When are we going to learn about the preview for Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope? Someone please let me know, I'm so excited for it. Another fantastic one from Davide Soliani and his team.

strongly doubt it lol

tenor.gif

EDGE giving a 10 always makes interested in a game, I'm curious about Immortality.

Only in chapter 4, but 8 seems pretty generous for XC3 so far. Weakest Xenoblade game by far for me, first one I've not really enjoyed.

Really amazed by the critiical consensus on it being so positive.

Only in chapter 4, but 8 seems pretty generous for XC3 so far. Weakest Xenoblade game by far for me, first one I've not really enjoyed.

Really amazed by the critiical consensus on it being so positive.
Dang. Think it's by far the best, tho XC1's story might be better. But gameplay, world, etc is best. Music too. I can see how the departure from the other two (especially 2) would make you sour on it. To each their own.

I don't think 23 10s in 28 years is really that little of a number... Do other outlets really give out perfect scores more frequently?

An 8 from Edge is like a 10 from American outlets since they actually use the full scale. So that’s an excellent score for XB3.

I don't think 23 10s in 28 years is really that little of a number... Do other outlets really give out perfect scores more frequently?
It's a pretty normal amount, I think IGN is at like 28 or something.

Wow really strong showing for XBC3 and LAL.
We are OFK i saw the trailer for on the Nintendo page, an 8 is high praise. What is it? a story driven adventure game?

I read through the Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope preview and wanted to paraphrase some of the more interesting points I saw:

Exploration
  • The main creative team realizes the world from the first game was not really built around giving a good sense of exploration, so they wanted to get away from the "corridor effect" of the first game.
  • The planets you visit will not be quite as expansive as the worlds in Assassin's Creed for example, but you will be exploring much more open areas which will include a "broad variety of activities."
  • They differentiate between critical path areas and side optional areas where you can find useful stuff like Sparks.
  • There are certain areas on a planet you wont be able to access until you unlock exploration skills later on in the game. So returning to earlier planets is encouraged.
  • Beep-O can be used to scan the world to reveal hidden elements, conceptually similar to something like Metroid Prime.

Combat/Other Gamplay

• Getting rid of the grid in combat was a challenge and required multiple attempts before getting something that worked well. The game still had the grid system in early development.
  • You control the characters directly on and off the battlefield now - not through Beep-0.
  • Enemies can react to your choices in combat in real time.
  • You're not restricted to a particular team set up, or require any one character on the team.
  • There may be battles in the game that use more characters or less characters than the usual team of three in combat.
  • The Sparks are modular and can be used in many ways. You'll be able to use up to two per character at a certain point in the game. You might use a Spark to enhance a strength of a certain character, or a different Spark to mitigate a weakness of a character, etc.
  • Each character will have only one weapon in the game this time, but it will be upgradable. Sparks are what will be used to add elemental and other kinds of active/passive effects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom