• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Eastward |ST| Go East, Young Sam

I just started this over the weekend (played the prologue and chapter 1). Really enjoyed what I've played so far. It looks fantastic and I'm digging the soundtrack too.

Sorry for the bump and double post, but just wanted to leave my thoughts since I just finished this tonight. I really loved it overall. The characters, art, and music are all stellar. I do think the plot gets a little muddled near the end, but I particularly loved chapters 3-5. The times you leave areas, I was genuinely sad to continue on and not see some of those characters again, which I guess is aided by the fact that you can't return to them. On that note, this game really could have used a chapter select just to clean up chests and what not (I think I missed like 6-8), but not a huge deal in the long run. Combat was probably my least favorite thing, but it was inoffensive. I liked the switching aspect to solve puzzles. They weren't very complicated, but they weren't bad either. I thought Earth Born was a cool Dragon Quest tribute (albeit a very speedy one), and I liked it enough to complete once. A minor complaint is that there were some typos (including very late in the game in one of the final sequences), hopefully they will fix those down the line.

Overall, I think Eastward was a great experience, and I'd definitely recommend it. Just a very charming game that looks and sounds wonderful, with a story that's interesting enough to keep you going.

Sorry for the bump and double post, but just wanted to leave my thoughts since I just finished this tonight. I really loved it overall. The characters, art, and music are all stellar. I do think the plot gets a little muddled near the end, but I particularly loved chapters 3-5. The times you leave areas, I was genuinely sad to continue on and not see some of those characters again, which I guess is aided by the fact that you can't return to them. On that note, this game really could have used a chapter select just to clean up chests and what not (I think I missed like 6-8), but not a huge deal in the long run. Combat was probably my least favorite thing, but it was inoffensive. I liked the switching aspect to solve puzzles. They weren't very complicated, but they weren't bad either. I thought Earth Born was a cool Dragon Quest tribute (albeit a very speedy one), and I liked it enough to complete once. A minor complaint is that there were some typos (including very late in the game in one of the final sequences), hopefully they will fix those down the line.

Overall, I think Eastward was a great experience, and I'd definitely recommend it. Just a very charming game that looks and sounds wonderful, with a story that's interesting enough to keep you going.
Glad you found it to be a great experience. Yeah. the pacing towards the end kind of drags towards the end, but overall felt the ending was sublime.

I'll echo thoughts that the game really stuck the landing on the ending. Powerful, emotional and yet making sense narratively.

Such a shame it didn't get any nods at the Game Awards this year, even in the newcomer category. Hopefully it gets some recognition elsewhere

I'll echo thoughts that the game really stuck the landing on the ending. Powerful, emotional and yet making sense narratively.

Such a shame it didn't get any nods at the Game Awards this year, even in the newcomer category. Hopefully it gets some recognition elsewhere

That is disappointing. Would've been nice for at least the art direction or soundtrack to get some acknowledgement.

They just had to spoil the final boss music, don't they?

I hope more people consider playing this game.

A lot of people who play Earthbound/Undertale/Deltarune/Omori/Oddity should include Eastward on their list.

They just had to spoil the final boss music, don't they?
If anything, I feel like the segment at 21 seconds is much more revealing (for the music, you wouldn't know anything about it without prior knowledge).

This is one of the titles where I am patiently awaiting the localized physical release āŒ›
It really looks fantastic and I've appreciated the playthru accounts in here.

Help :-( I'm about to give up and I wonder whether I am missing something, there is a bug or I am just not good enough.
Eternal tower 2nd floor last (or not) time trial on that floor, I simply do not have even close to the time I see in the walkthrough video to do what is necessary. Minute 49 and onwards in the following walkthrough video, best I can do is get Sam to the time bubble thingie she needs to zap, and time runs out. Is there maybe some food that could help me?

Last edited:
Quoted by: SiG
Help :-( I'm about to give up and I wonder whether I am missing something, there is a bug or I am just not good enough.
Eternal tower 2nd floor last (or not) time trial on that floor, I simply do not have even close to the time I see in the walkthrough video to do what is necessary. Minute 49 and onwards in the following walkthrough video, best I can do is get Sam to the time bubble thingie she needs to zap, and time runs out. Is there maybe some food that could help me?

Try hitting the hourglasses. Timing their uses also plays a big part, as they can replenish a whole bar.
Other than that, time your switches between Sam and John to further optimize your route towards it. Make note of where the platform moves and when it's crossable.

Try hitting the hourglasses. Timing their uses also plays a big part, as they can replenish a whole bar.
Other than that, time your switches between Sam and John to further optimize your route towards it. Make note of where the platform moves and when it's crossable.
Thanks,
by hitting do you mean from further away? Also if I have more time left when I touch a candlestick, do I end up with more time after touching a candlestick or do they always recharge so you end up with the same final amount?

Thanks,
by hitting do you mean from further away? Also if I have more time left when I touch a candlestick, do I end up with more time after touching a candlestick or do they always recharge so you end up with the same final amount?
No, you need to touch the hourglasses, and they only replenish your time bar, not add a full bar onto it, so it's always optimal to touch them as late as possible.

No, you need to touch the hourglasses, and they only replenish your time bar, not add a full bar onto it, so it's always optimal to touch them as late as possible.
Thanks, too bad. Well Metroid Dread just got a rookie mode, so I will quit Eastward, especially since I know this is not even close to being the last such trial.

I'll just restart Metroid Dread (unfortunately no way to change the existing save to the new easier mode) - I had a good time with it but got stuck after 5 hours, 5 hours is not that much to redo, especially if it will be easier.

This was such a surprise game for me, and my partner really sees it as an all-time favorite Switch title.

I'm hoping it was a massive success for the team, and that we get a sneak peek at whatever's next sometime soon.

I had so much fun with this game - looking forward to whatever the team brings out next. I constantly have the 'upbeat theme' in my head.

This is a deeper question than I anticipated
Is the feeling of playing a game that leaves you as an emotional mess after witness one of the most memorable video game finale worth Ā£13?

"I realize that I sound extremely hyperbolic here, but these are my honest feeling about Eastward.

Is the feeling of playing a game that leaves you as an emotional mess after witness one of the most memorable video game finale worth Ā£13?

"I realize that I sound extremely hyperbolic here, but these are my honest feeling about Eastward.

You are selling it I must admit : D

I'm playing this on NSO game trials right now and was already torn between giving up on the game or sticking with it for the sake of the things I enjoy.

Then I came to the Miasma chase sequence at the end of Chapter 2...

Tell me honestly: Is this what I have to look forward to more of? Screen after screen of death because there's less than a second to figure out what to do with so little room for error that it's near impossible on the first attempt? I despise when this is a designer's idea of challenge.

I'm playing this on NSO game trials right now and was already torn between giving up on the game or sticking with it for the sake of the things I enjoy.

Then I came to the Miasma chase sequence at the end of Chapter 2...

Tell me honestly: Is this what I have to look forward to more of? Screen after screen of death because there's less than a second to figure out what to do with so little room for error that it's near impossible on the first attempt? I despise when this is a designer's idea of challenge.

I think Eastward is one of those games that 'it gets better' really apply... AND it might still not be your cup of tea.

Did you like the first chapter in the cave? If you do, just keep going. It's (tentatively) free after all.
If you didn't really enjoy it... well, the best part of Eastward is the visuals and you can probably grab the (extremely expensive but gorgeous) Lost in Cult artbook for that.

I think Eastward is one of those games that 'it gets better' really apply... AND it might still not be your cup of tea.

Did you like the first chapter in the cave? If you do, just keep going. It's (tentatively) free after all.
If you didn't really enjoy it... well, the best part of Eastward is the visuals and you can probably grab the (extremely expensive but gorgeous) Lost in Cult artbook for that.

The first chapter worked on me more than I enjoyed it. Everyone you meet being misshapen, in body and soul, didn't endear me to the world and the charm of the pixel art was limited by the desolate, drab setting. I understood why the chapter was the way it was, and the game paid off the set-up beautifully as expected. What didn't improve is the story having needless to stupid moments. And now the gameplay's starting to have those, too. Nothing yet as bad as the chase again, though a recent puzzle build around using an ability that takes like half a minute to recharge the energy for was mighty annoying.

At this point it's pretty much all Sam and the graphics pulling me forward.

Update:

I saw it through and am delighted I did. I enjoyed the second half better than the first - yes, including the monkeys - and the game finished strong. The sequence that drove me to post in this thread remains the worst by some distance, nothing that came before or after rivaled it in badness. The greatest moment was the lead-in to the last chapter ("Faster, John! Faster." "Sam. Save Sam.") with many more candidates for the close second.

Final rating: giNORmous/10.

Back
Top Bottom