• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Eastward |ST| Go East, Young Sam

Xavi

Hresvelg
EPILEPSY WARNING
Eastward comes with an epilepsy warning, and it's an important one. Many enemies emit a potent white flash when they are struck, letting the player know their attack was successful. On particularly large enemies, mostly certain bosses, this effect is especially jarring, uncomfortable, and potentially dangerous to people with epileptic tendencies, so please use caution and heed the warning.

There is a day 1 update (for Switch only?) that hopefully addresses this but it is NOT confirmed
E_YLvB4VkAIrDYz

1bCu3nE.png

UvA0fLD.png

08DWmjH.png

rGgm6vT.png

This game is so good. I finished it last night and although it was maybe a little too vague with some of its plot points, I absolutely loved it. The pixel art and music are fantastic, the dungeons are fun and clever without being too frustrating, and the more slice-of-life style pacing is cozy and charming. Honestly my only issues with the game are related to combat, with many of the enemies feeling a bit spongey, and it's not always immediately clear what to do to damage some of the bosses.

Plus the boss of chapter 3 absolutely tanks the frame rate, but outside of that the game runs great. It's kind of odd, tbh.

Quoted by: SiG
A newer patch had just been released on Switch recently! Addresses a few issues with saving:

Patch notes from the wiki:

1.0.5​

Eastward 1.0.5 was a patch released on Nintendo Switch on 29th September 2021

• Improve UI setting description.
  • Small tweaks to the difficulty of the boss fight in chapter 8
  • Additional autosave after playing Earth Born and the Gacha machine
  • Resolved Incorrect physics setting in some scenes
  • Fixed issue where Autosave near the Mayor's House could block the game
  • Fixed issue where the first Boss should not deal damage when it's down
  • Fixed issue where in Earth Born, players could fail to revive dead characters
  • Fixed issue where in Earth Born, some message boxes could fail to close
  • Fixed some visual glitches
  • Fixed some incorrect autosave timepoints
  • Fixed issue where following character could move without running animation
  • Fixed issue where players could fail to open the door outside the mall level
  • Fixed issue where players could get blocked when loading from the save file saved at Damcity outfield station
  • Fixed incorrect collision in some levels
  • Fixed issue where players could get across doors of some closed shops
  • Fixed issue where players couldn't acquire Sam's ability after finishing chapter 3

Plus the boss of chapter 3 absolutely tanks the frame rate, but outside of that the game runs great. It's kind of odd, tbh.
Apparently according to the publisher's discord it's a bug that has something to do with docked mode. Dunno if it's been addressed with the recently released patch, but expect some more updates if the AMA with Pixpil is to be believed.

Apparently according to the publisher's disrcord it's a bug that has something to do with docked mode. Dunno if it's been addressed with the recently released pacth, but expect some more updates if the AMA with Pixpil is to be believed.
Oh that's interesting. Kinda hope they fix it soon, as I'd love to go through the game again to try and get everything I missed.

Although if it's just docked mode I guess I could just do that fight in handheld/tabletop mode.

Great SP! I also finished it last night, very satisfied. I can totally see where the game might not be for everyone due to the pacing but I loved living in that world. There's definitely elements of the story they left fairly open to interpretation but I kind of like that, it's pretty much the position the cast are in. There's enough to have a good enough sense of the lore and to make your guesses but you can tell the team were really in love with their characters. Would absolutely follow the team onto their next project. And phew the soundtrack 😍

My favorite character is Yocar.

William, Daniel, and Daniel all got a nice arc.

Apparently according to the publisher's discord it's a bug that has something to do with docked mode. Dunno if it's been addressed with the recently released patch, but expect some more updates if the AMA with Pixpil is to be believed.

Oh that's interesting. Kinda hope they fix it soon, as I'd love to go through the game again to try and get everything I missed.
I beat the boss of chapter 3 earlier today in docked mode and I dont think I had any frame rate issues with the boss at all. I know I downloaded a patch yesterday if that might have fixed this issue?

I beat the boss of chapter 3 earlier today in docked mode and I dont think I had any frame rate issues with the boss at all. I know I downloaded a patch yesterday if that might have fixed this issue?
Well that's good to know! I gotta replay this game again.

My favorite character is Yocar.

William, Daniel, and Daniel all got a nice arc.

I was in pieces after the end of chapter 7 lol I was very glad that was the case re: your spoiler tags

I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve played. I’m currently in New Dam City and think I might end up actually beating this game, which is pretty uncommon for me.

My game of the year. Easily. It is a love letter to so many things I love in games. I will be replaying it next week once my SWOLED gets here.

Probably going to save it for after Dread and SMTV, but looking forward to it!

I just got to Chapter 3 and learned the hard way to start cooking for health items. I spent most of Old Town with two hearts because I missed the save point / stovetop before the train station. Hearts don’t seem to drop that often from the environment and enemies.

Since this game broken into chapters; is there anything missable or do items like heart pieces become available elsewhere throughout the story?

I just got to Chapter 3 and learned the hard way to start cooking for health items. I spent most of Old Town with two hearts because I missed the save point / stovetop before the train station. Hearts don’t seem to drop that often from the environment and enemies.

Since this game broken into chapters; is there anything missable or do items like heart pieces become available elsewhere throughout the story?
If you’re trying to 100%, I think some food items are missable if you don’t pick them up from shops in each chapter. I might be wrong, but I think I’ve seen this mentioned before.

Every thing is totally missable lol I didn't resort to any guides and did get all hearts and all but one of the upgrades but yeah, it's all gone if yoy.miss it XD it's a choice lol I definitely think they could add a chapter revisit option , especially since it isn't an xp based game or anything

My game of the year. Easily. It is a love letter to so many things I love in games. I will be replaying it next week once my SWOLED gets here.
Right? I had so many nostalgic pangs as I played it, it really taps into the snes era of jrpg, the gba era of visuals and so on, its so warm and cosy while being entirely new and different to a lot of that

If you’re trying to 100%, I think some food items are missable if you don’t pick them up from shops in each chapter. I might be wrong, but I think I’ve seen this mentioned before.
I’ve been clearing out the stores already; so I guess I’ll just need to make sure I continue doing that.
Every thing is totally missable lol I didn't resort to any guides and did get all hearts and all but one of the upgrades but yeah, it's all gone if yoy.miss it XD it's a choice lol I definitely think they could add a chapter revisit option , especially since it isn't an xp based game or anything
Dang, I’ll need to be more careful before leaving an area. I know I missed a radar alert in Old Town because my low health made it too risky to explore. I need to head back there before starting the next story segment if it’s still open.

Is there a reason to play through Earth Born? Like to get you an bonus rewards or anything for the game main? I get the sense that it's related to the story somehow.

Is there a reason to play through Earth Born? Like to get you an bonus rewards or anything for the game main? I get the sense that it's related to the story somehow.
There are some parallels, but it is not a requirement to completing nor enjoying the main story.

In honor of Xavi’s bringing his thread over, I’m going to buy the game.
Also because I want to.

How long is the game? Can I finish it after M+R and before SMT V?

How long to beat says 17 hours for just the main story and around 30 to do everything. I'm a little over 17 hours and I think I'm nearing the end so that sounds about right. Probably around 20 to 25 hours is a good average.

From my experience, Eastward can be replayable even with regard to story/lore since not everyone will have the patience to fully dig through all NPCs' dialogues (especially in Big Dam City). I was in the same situtation and my playtime was ~24 hrs.

I need to go through the soundtrack to learn the names but Final Boss is indeed awesome.

For those who whave finished it, what's your favorite track in the game?

Mine is Final Boss and Heretic Frypan.

Probably a tie between Bar and City Night for me. I have a weak spot for Jazz/Funk music and both tracks also did a superb job in conveying the environment aesthetic.
Bar is self-explanatory. City Night instead evokes the steam punk vibes of New Dam City and the urban night life busting with people.

ngl I loved playing this game and I'm hoping they do more stuff with the world

You're pretty close! I believe I finished the game in one session from around that point to the end
Thanks! I actually wanted to know if I could finish it all in one go. I'll make sure to dedicate 3 hours or so to the game to get one big satisfying finale.

I started this yesterday and I'm still super early but wanted to get some thoughts out there:

• I love how the game looks, especially on the OLED screen. There's so many pixel art games around these days but it definitely stands out amongst them.
  • The music is so far equally as great. Found myself humming along to the first town theme already.
  • There's been a lot of cutscenes so far (still in chapter 1) - I'd guess its been about 75% cutscene and 25% actual gameplay (mostly killing slugs so far). Anyone who's finished it able to tell me whether it stays cutscene-heavy throughout or just for the intro sections?
  • I thought it was hilarious how similar cooking is to BOTW, right down to the music. The randomised aspect of it is cool though.

So I just finished Crosscode. I hated the overwhelming number of puzzles but in general I reaaally liked it.

Will I like this game too?

This is one of my games of the year and it's a bit sad how it seems to be slipping from conversations. This was a great experience throughout, the game switching from moments where your heart melts to where it freezes in fear, and then back again. It's a real emotional rollercoaster with a truly engaging cast. Dungeon crawling is pretty solid too, and legimitaley challenging in places. And what a soundtrack.

Definetely not a perfect game as it does have some pacing problems, and the heavy narrative means it won't be for everyone, but if you want a game that is going to take you on a real journey, you can't go wrong here

I started this yesterday and I'm still super early but wanted to get some thoughts out there:

• There's been a lot of cutscenes so far (still in chapter 1) - I'd guess its been about 75% cutscene and 25% actual gameplay (mostly killing slugs so far). Anyone who's finished it able to tell me whether it stays cutscene-heavy throughout or just for the intro sections?

It has it's ebbs and flows really, there are sections of the game that are very story orientated, there are sections it leaves you alone. I probably wouldn't say it dominates the experience quite to the ratio you've noted throughout, but it is a lot. Even outside of actual cutscenes , I felt like a lot of the joy was speaking to and revisiting npcs for new dialogue and just kind of marinating in the world lol

It has it's ebbs and flows really, there are sections of the game that are very story orientated, there are sections it leaves you alone. I probably wouldn't say it dominates the experience quite to the ratio you've noted throughout, but it is a lot. Even outside of actual cutscenes , I felt like a lot of the joy was speaking to and revisiting npcs for new dialogue and just kind of marinating in the world lol
100%. Its one of the first games since the 16 bit era where I go back to talk to characters all the time to check for dialogue changes. Each character seems to be so unique have hearing what they have to say is a real highlight for me. The music, art, and dialogue are just such a great mix for me. I can't get enough of this game and world.

This is one of my games of the year and it's a bit sad how it seems to be slipping from conversations. This was a great experience throughout, the game switching from moments where your heart melts to where it freezes in fear, and then back again. It's a real emotional rollercoaster with a truly engaging cast. Dungeon crawling is pretty solid too, and legimitaley challenging in places. And what a soundtrack.

Definetely not a perfect game as it does have some pacing problems, and the heavy narrative means it won't be for everyone, but if you want a game that is going to take you on a real journey, you can't go wrong here

My GOTY. Easily. September was a busy time for indies and I think people dabbled for a bit and moved on. There is a real great game in here. Hope people come back to it!

I'm a little disappointed too in how fast it seems to have dropped out of the public consciousness. But I also kinda get it as the pacing is very deliberate and that can be a hard sell. It's not my GOTY but at the moment it's sitting at number 3, which is no small feat.

Also shout out to your Illusion of Gaia avatar, @Tendo! Love that game.

Sales of the game were very positive and I have a couple friends playing it on my friends list atm. This forum may not be very Interested in it but it's one that's dominated by Nintendo game discussion and although there is some indie interest, it pales in comparison to any Nintendo ip.

I'm a little disappointed too in how fast it seems to have dropped out of the public consciousness. But I also kinda get it as the pacing is very deliberate and that can be a hard sell. It's not my GOTY but at the moment it's sitting at number 3, which is no small feat.

Also shout out to your Illusion of Gaia avatar, @Tendo! Love that game.
Thanks! If it’s a top down pixel arpg it’s gonna be my jam! Haha.

That’s good to hear. I do like a good story so I have no problem with it being heavily story focused, but just felt the opening sections were a lot of dialogue and little gameplay.

I’m exited to keep playing though!

I really enjoyed Eastward - I did initially encounter a bug that would crash the whole game after exactly 2 hours of play but I think that pushed me to play in shorter bursts and possibly let me enjoy the slower pace a bit more than I would have otherwise.

There is a collab with fangamer for some goodies :

Gonna keep an eye for that plushie.

Just finished, loved every bit of it. What a special game and, man, the soundtrack is absolutely outstanding.
I really don't understand Mitch Vogel from NL, who didn't even mention it in the review, and then when I asked him why, he said he found it unremarkable (or something like that). How is it lol

Game has some pacing issues and, after finishing it, I'm not sure I got the story entirely. Heck, not even sure if devs wanted it to be a linear one. Maybe if someone could elaborate a little on the story I'd appreciate.
Anyway, even with the gameplay not being all that smooth (although I enjoyed it), this game is so incredibly charming, visually striking and well written, with a killer soundtrack, that I feel the need to wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone.

Last edited:
So bumping this. Will for sure be getting this for myself. But would an 11 year old like this? Want to get a game for her since she has a bday coming up. I pre-ordered her Pokémon Pearl already, but looking for something else.

She’s BIG into Deltarune and Undertale and Stardew, and this past summer she got into Miitopia.

Back
Top Bottom