• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Earthblade, "exploration platformer" by EXOK Games (Celeste), announced for 2024 (UPDATE: delayed, see threadmarks)

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him

The soundtrack is beautiful, I’m confident they’ll excel with that and the atmosphere.

Press release-
"NEW game by EXOK Games, the creators of Celeste! You are Névoa, an enigmatic child of Fate returning at long last to Earth, in this explor-action platformer. Earthblade's lush pixel art world offers seamless exploration, challenging combat, and countless mysteries to pick apart. Travel the remnants of a ruined world, encounter denizens both friend and foe, and piece together the Earth's fractured history.
Platforms Steam/TBC.

Last edited:
"exploration platformer"
We call those metroidvanias, but I suppose the Celeste Devs are successful enough that they don't need to use the term. They've certainly earned all the goodwill in the world with Celeste, and that gameplay snippet looks solid, as everyone would expect.

My second favorite announcement from TGA. Towerfall and Celeste were superb and Earthblade looks like it will be another laurel in their crown.

Neat.

I'm looking for exploration games to play, but can't find any that I find appealing, at least from an outward look.

Celeste is such a masterpiece that EXOK has earned my inconditional trust. You can't make a game like Celeste out of a fluke, they clearly understand what makes gaming fun in a fundamental level, so I doubt they would miss the point.

Earthblade already looks even more beautiful, the soundtrack sounds amazing again, and I'll be there day 1.

Pretty crazy how GotY 2024 has already been decided

Anything from the Celeste team is a must play!

Is this a confirmed ‘Metroidvania’ then with levelling up, obtaining new abilities and opening up new areas etc?
I don't know why leveling up is included here, but in any case we did see damage numbers in the teaser for this trailer

It's not a confirmed Metroidvania by any means and it's possible it lacks stuff like gaining new abilities to unlock areas...though we see a double jump in the trailer so yeah actually I think we can call this a Metroidvania now

Looking good, bit still so far away. Well it's not like there isn't anything else to play.

For me this might become the Ori/Hollow Knight I can actually get into and finish judging by the artstyle. These are the kind of devs that need no introduction for me to play their games, they won me over in a heartbeat.

I can't wait for this. Celeste was amazing and I love metroidvanias. That said, I thought the trailer was a bit underwhelming. Trailer is basically just "a metroidvania from us, the Celeste people" which is awesome but it didn't really have like an actual hook in the gameplay they showed or anything lol. I guess it's still a long way away.

Oh, I was kind of expecting more of an actual RPG when they first announced it. Day 1 regardless

For those impatient to play a Metroidvania by Maddy Thorson, here's your regular reminder that she already made one. It's called Untitled Story, and you can download it for free on her website. Yes, it's a little unpolished, but for a 15 year old freeware gams, it's pretty specatcular. Just something to pass the time until Earthblade.

Trailer was kinda weak, but EXOK have proved themselves. I have faith in them and Maddy.

Celeste's movement engine in a Metroidvania sounds hot tbh

I really like the explor-action term as a genre name to replace Metroidvania.

It looks a little slow in the trailer but I trust the team behind Towerfall/Celeste will put out a game with a precise and fun moveset, hopefully with dashes and all those shenanigans.

For those impatient to play a Metroidvania by Maddy Thorson, here's your regular reminder that she already made one. It's called Untitled Story, and you can download it for free on her website. Yes, it's a little unpolished, but for a 15 year old freeware gams, it's pretty specatcular. Just something to pass the time until Earthblade.
I will vouch for this one. It's really well done and a great experience.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone I know will absolutely obsess over it if it ever comes up.

Because it's good.

Um, also, definitely looking forward to Earthblade. I have high hopes for that one.

So obsessed with that logo. I could tell that Celeste wasn't my thing, but will probably give this a play.

Holy shit I forgot this was coming out this year! Wonder if we'll hear about it next month at the Direct?

Delayed
I know, I know, this update is long overdue. We appreciate your patience as we try our best to make this video game that appears to be stubbornly determined to not get made. More on the process in the following paragraphs, but first we need to face the music: this game ain't coming out in 2024. We had hoped to be announcing a firm release date around now, but it just isn't in the cards. We know that this will be disappointing for a lot of you and we're sorry for that. Maybe this was predictable, but still it always sucks when the haters are right.

Can't believe I had to learn about Earthblade delay via mazi reporting their own thread for title update 😭 but I guess this isn't particularly surprising

Back
Top Bottom