• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Early Summer

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
It is the morning of the summer solstice in Japan, which means that it is at last time for one of my favorite trio recordings: "Early Summer," as performed on Ryo Fukui's Scenery album.

The album is primarily comprised of jazz standards, but "Early Summer" was written by a contemporary of Fukui, Hideo Ichikawa. Here is a prior performance of the piece by its composer, which bears little overt resemblance to Fukui's interpretation.

This is a piano jazz thread. Please post piano jazz. You could perhaps instead remark on the start of summer, and what it means to you. I have been planning this thread for a month, but I didn't consider what it would actually contain. Please listen to the song.

I have no piano jazz to post but I am posting anyway to say I would love to see more posts about piano jazz.

So please do as Raccoon says.

@Raccoon I'm honestly trying to explore my home state and surrounding areas more.

Sure, people need to go outside and touch grass more, alright, but exploring the history of your immediate area and surrounding areas is a pure blast.

Like, after reading this article, I've been thinking about discovering new museums and historical sites, not just the more "famous" museums that I've been to:

images

It's supposed to be a classic but I've not yet watched it. I've enjoyed the Ozu films I've seen so I'm looking forward to getting to this one eventually.

I like the song. Thanks for sharing

Edit - I'm at the quick part :cool:

I've enjoyed the Ozu films I've seen so I'm looking forward to getting to this one eventually.

Ozu is the director of Tokyo Story right? I've never looked at his other films. Tokyo Story is such a lovely film.

I like the song. Thanks for sharing

Edit - I'm at the quick part :cool:

Ozu is the director of Tokyo Story right? I've never looked at his other films. Tokyo Story is such a lovely film.

Yeah, he did Tokyo Story! It goes without saying that he was an amazing filmmaker. If you enjoy silent films, I'd recommend also taking a look at his really early work. His film "I was Born, but..." is both very funny and very touching. If you're not too interested in silents, he remade this one later in his career as "Good Morning".

Yeah, he did Tokyo Story! It goes without saying that he was an amazing filmmaker. If you enjoy silent films, I'd recommend also taking a look at his really early work. His film "I was Born, but..." is both very funny and very touching. If you're not too interested in silents, he remade this one later in his career as "Good Morning".
I don't have anything against silent movies but I haven't seen many. I did go to watch The Kid with a live score last week, that was great.

Great thread idea!

Monk is one of my absolute favourites. It’s not purely a piano tune and starts pretty sax-forward but don’t worry, it gets there.

Back with another one! Again, not strictly a piano piece, but I always remember the piano bringing everyone else in.

Enjoy some modal jazz, why dont’cha!
🎹 🎺 🎷 🥁 🍷 ✨

It is the morning of the summer solstice in Japan, which means that it is at last time for one of my favorite trio recordings: "Early Summer," as performed on Ryo Fukui's Scenery album.

The album is primarily comprised of jazz standards, but "Early Summer" was written by a contemporary of Fukui, Hideo Ichikawa. Here is a prior performance of the piece by its composer, which bears little overt resemblance to Fukui's interpretation.

This is a piano jazz thread. Please post piano jazz. You could perhaps instead remark on the start of summer, and what it means to you. I have been planning this thread for a month, but I didn't consider what it would actually contain. Please listen to the song.

This is great stuff. I love jazz in general, but piano jazz is where it's at. This kind of track always makes me want to be chilling in a coffee shop, lounging in a comfy chair and taking in the atmosphere on a day off.

Really awesome! I had never heard of this album or these musicians before, so thank you for sharing this! Really love the sound!

Great thread idea!

Monk is one of my absolute favourites. It’s not purely a piano tune and starts pretty sax-forward but don’t worry, it gets there.

Back with another one! Again, not strictly a piano piece, but I always remember the piano bringing everyone else in.

Enjoy some modal jazz, why dont’cha!
🎹 🎺 🎷 🥁 🍷 ✨

Classics! Great shares!

This jazz song ("Mountain Dance") always reminds me of early summer, just from happiness and tone of it all! Early summer, to me, just reminds me of new life, anticipation, and a return to lightheartedness!

bewildered that someone other than me posted Lee Ritenour on Famiboards
Haha, small world! :ROFLMAO: I really love these side forums sometimes on game forums! I was surprised to see a jazz thread on here too, haha, it being my first time browsing the Roost on here!

I actually came across Lee Ritenour essentially all "around" him. I loved Dave Grusin, and John Patitucci, which he played with them both, and then when Fourplay started up and he was in it (founding member?), on a whim I explored him some more and he is simply phenomenal!

I still listen to jazz sometimes, but more fusion stuff anymore. My tastes are mainly metal, but I've got a huge love and appreciation for jazz that started with some of my old music teachers from way back when. (Played trombone and piano through school!)

I'm a pretty big fan of silent cinema. My favourite is Murnau's City Girl. I prefer it to his more heralded Sunrise. The restoration it got on bluray is fantastic.

I'm a pretty big fan of silent cinema. My favourite is Murnau's City Girl. I prefer it to his more heralded Sunrise. The restoration it got on bluray is fantastic.

My favourites might be Sherlock Jr, Safety Last, and The Circus. There's a lot of great silent comedy out there! For more serious fare, He Who Gets Slapped really surprised me by how good it was.

My favourites might be Sherlock Jr, Safety Last, and The Circus. There's a lot of great silent comedy out there! For more serious fare, He Who Gets Slapped really surprised me by how good it was.
Yeah I enjoyed Chaplin's work. City Lights is probably my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom