• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News EA laying off 670 people, or 5% of its workforce

From 2018 to 2023, EA compensated their CEO, Andrew Wilson $155,110,000.

From 2019 to 2023, Laura Miele got $55,390,000.

For just 2 years of work, 2022 & 2023, Chris Suh got $17,340,000.

2018-2023, Chris Bruzzo, $46,420,000.
2018-2023, Kenneth Moss, $61,560,000.
2018-2022, Blake Jorgensen, $70,320,000.

And for her contributions in 2023, Mala Singh got $5,940,000.

I don’t even know what to say anymore, other than I hope the 670 people/families that are affected by this come out the other end stronger. My heart breaks for the thousands across the industry who’ve lost their jobs.

Any one of them could step into those executives’ jobs above and probably do fine enough that the company wouldn’t burn down. On the flip side of the coin, I highly doubt any of those same executives could create a piece of software so the company has something to sell.

Dammit.

When I first heard about the Respawn Star Wars FPS two years ago, and that it was going to be basically a Dark Forces successor with a Mando MC, I was so excited...

tbf, they kinda are doing that. Ubisoft has Star Wars Outlaws coming supposedly this year, Traveler's Tales made Lego Skywalker Saga, Aspyr wa doing a KOTOR remake before that seemingly all fell apart, Quantic Dream is working on Star Wars Eclipse

Since the EA deal ended, it doesn't seem like they're being that stingy with letting other developers get a bite at the apple
Nah, instead they're making everyone pay a fortune for the license.

It just keeps happening... My fucking god...
That scene from Apocalypto where the priest got a line of people lined up for the next blood sacrifice just popped in my head.
Question is how much more bloodletting is to come before the video game industry is satiated.
Seriously.. who’s next in line?

Am surprised at layoffs but not the move away from licenses products. I just don't see the point in taking all the risk for Lucas and then giving them a huge chunk of the profits.

Ridgeline never got to release a single game.

EA finding a way to once again cancel Titanfall 3 (the respawn FPS was rumored to be shaping up into a TF spiritual successor) is almost comical

Closing Ridgeline is just absurd. Wiki says it's only been around since October 2021. What kind of "pandemic money"-goggles were they wearing to spin up a whole-ass studio and then shutter it less than 3 years later

Not much is known about the Star Wars FPS, but it was rumored to feature a Mandalorian protagonist in some way. The fate of EA's Star Wars strategy game is also unclear. EA is undertaking the move in part due to what it perceives to be a rapid shift toward large open-world games, massive communities, and live service games.

IGN understands that the team previously working on this game will largely be reassigned to other projects including Apex Legends, Iron Man, Black Panther, and Jedi — for which EA has confirmed a third installment. The Star Wars: Jedi franchise will continue, despite EA's move to focusing on owned IP, and EA is said to remain focused on its long-standing relationship with Disney/Marvel.

What does that do to one's resume? Working all this time on something that never releases.
You be honest? Put "2-3 years Ridgeline games developing unreleased game" and you talk to how the game was doing, your work on it, and what you learned.

there is ZERO sense in making licensed games anymore. i know there's been a decent size of the audience vocal about the licensed games worry but it does feel like the industry crashed in the last 2 months because of them. just so ludicrously expensive and everyone's tired of them.

geez

if Dragon Age isn't a success Bioware is 100% screwed huh?

Considering EA and what kind of trajectory Bioware has been on for more than a decade since Dragon Age:Inquisition, it is surprising that they're still here to begin with.

But yeah, I feel like if Dreadwolf isn't it, it's pretty much over. Especially with the layoffs last year where a lot of long time talent left, honestly the upper management at Bioware has been suspect for a LONG time.

there is ZERO sense in making licensed games anymore. i know there's been a decent size of the audience vocal about the licensed games worry but it does feel like the industry crashed in the last 2 months because of them. just so ludicrously expensive and everyone's tired of them.

Some of the best selling games in the last few years have been licensed games, people are not tired of them.
But I do agree with you that triple AAA games being this expensive on top of having to pay licensing fees and royalties means that the break even point for some of these games in terms of copies sold is very risky business.

Why any of these big developers would make licensed games with Disney is beyond me. They're basically risking their entire business to make money for Disney who shares none of that risk. If Disney wants their IP in gaming so that it grows their own brand, they should either develop and fully fund the games themselves or go and pound salt.

It seems the only profitable Disney licensed games are really cheap mobile ones, or games that will be supported for years and recoup the licensing costs. AAA Licensed however feels like a crapshoot that doesn't pay without absurd numbers.

Back
Top Bottom