• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Dragon's Dogma 2 - Review Thread

Bokuringo

Like Like
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Metacritic - 87
Opencritic - 89

vg247- 5/5
One of the greatest games of all time… if you’ve the right constitution

videogameschronicle - 5/5
Dragon's Dogma 2 is one of the best RPGs of the last decade. Capcom's incredible run has reached unfathomable heights with a game that's destined to be beloved by players and revered by developers in turn

rpgsite - 10/10
Dragon's Dogma 2 is a bold and brave leap forward for RPGs, inviting you to come along for an unforgettable journey that will be uniquely yours. All that awaits is that very first step.

IGN - 8/10
Dragon’s Dogma 2 is a strange and wonderful game that seems haunted by some of yesteryear’s bugaboos. It is a retelling and reimplementation of all of those wonderful ideas from the 2012 cult-classic, including an awesome dynamic world and some of the best combat in the genre that integrates a subtle but amazingly complex physics system. On the other hand, its finicky ally AI, clunky climbing, choppy frame rate, and camera with a habit of going haywire at the worst times are all “features” I wish hadn’t been brought back for another round.

The Guardian
If this review feels chaotic, then that’s a fair reflection of the game. It is mad, fun, fantastical chaos and I honestly love it. Before I started writing this, I had left my Arisen and her endearingly incompetent pawn in an ancient battleground patrolled by a dragon. We blasted it with a couple of ballista bolts, and then it flew over and crushed the ballista with a claw, at which point I realised we were somewhat outgunned here and ran for some castle ruins to hide from the creature. This seemed like a good idea until skeletal warriors rose from the ground, and I realised the castle is extremely haunted. I don’t know how we’ll get out of this situation. But I do know it will be an adventure.

Gamepro Germany - 88
In our opinion, Dragon’s Dogma 2 more than lives up to its previous praise. Capcom delivers a candidate for the best role-playing game of 2024.

Gamespot - 9/10
Even so, these performance issues did little to deter my love for this game. It's not often that a cult classic gets the green light for a sequel, especially 12 years after the original game was released. Capcom hasn't tried to make Dragon's Dogma 2 more palatable to potentially attract a wider audience, either. It stuck to the first game's core values and expanded upon them to create a bigger and better game that consistently delights in its approach to seamless exploration and the thrill of adventure. This means it feels very familiar in a lot of ways, but it's a game for those who fell in love with the original, despite its flaws, and will hopefully find an entirely new audience who perhaps never gave the first game a chance. Even after 40 hours, my heart continues to grow fonder for this special game. It's an exceptional achievement that's quite unlike anything else, and I wouldn't hesitate to place it amongst the pantheon of Capcom's very best.

Eurogamer - 5/5
Even if I hadn't have played the first Dragon's Dogma, I can tell you with complete certainty that I'd have come to same conclusion I have now, and I'd have given Dragon's Dogma 2 the same score I have now, simply because no other game in recent memory has inspired the same feeling of captivation and wonder in me. The joy of discovery lies within all of us, and Dragon's Dogma 2 succeeds in evoking that magical feeling in a way no other game has before it.

Gameinformer - 9/10
Dragon’s Dogma 2 captures the spirit of the original without sanding down the edges of what made it excellent. Its insistence on player exploration and discovery, coupled with an ending I will think about for the rest of the year, makes Dragon’s Dogma 2 a standout game and a worthy successor.

Didn't see a thread, so just decided to make one.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Looking forward to Saturday, cause i likely can't play on friday.

I was, based on internet discourse, under the impression that this whole project was doomed. Glad to be wrong!

Aren't you busy with Unicorn Overlord?

I am, but i am very sure my younger daughter will not let me have any of two Switch systems we have so that she can play Sailor Peach like she wants too.

But that's not the case why i can't play on friday. Social obligations are. ;]

Great reviews. Can't wait, and my copy has been shipped today ! Hopefully I'll play it tomorrow, if not then I'll have it for sure Friday.

Great weekend ahead.

Probably a Black Friday game at best, but I'm happy for the fans that have been waiting over a decade.

Not super sold by these reviews. I thought the first game was good but very flawed in some aspects and this game seems to improve what is already good but it kept the exact same flaws the original had, combined with some hefty performance issues. Think I'll wait.

The reviews are so glowing that I wonder if the game would be sitting at a 90+ without performance issues. That's what it sounds like reading the reviews. And the performance issues do sound bad, which is unfortunate. But it's interesting that the core of DD seems way more loved in 2 than in 1, not unexpected, but the level of praise is a bit surprising. I was expecting an 86-88, but it seems like it got that for different reasons.

Then again ... as someone who thought DD1 was just pretty good, they did bring back some things I wasn't a fan of, so it's possible that the reviews would be similar either way. I'm excited to be playing it on Friday though 😄

Last edited:
Day 1 on PC, even with the performance woes! lol

Edit: I lied, I'll just get it on PS5...

Last edited:
The reviews are so glowing that I wonder if the game would be sitting at a 90+ without performance issues. That's what it sounds like reading the reviews. And the performance issues do sound bad, which is unfortunate. But it's interesting that the core of DD seems way more loved in 2 than in 1, not unexpected, but the level of praise is a bit surprising. I was expecting an 86-88, but it seems like it got that for different reasons.

Then again ... as someone who thought DD1 was just pretty good, they did bring back some things I wasn't a fan of, so it's possible that the reviews would be similar either way. I'm excited to be playing it on Friday though 😄
BG3 received universal praise despite having the last two acts unfinished at launch and heavy performance issues in the first act. All that with a lengthy early access. I wonder if maybe Capcom is expected to be at a different standard?

I was already sold on the Dragon's Dogma 2 (I loved both DD1 and Dark Arisen), but it's heartening to see such positive reviews. I want to play a few shorter games from my backlog before diving into another huge epic, though, so it's not day 1 for me.

BG3 received universal praise despite having the last two acts unfinished at launch and heavy performance issues in the first act. All that with a lengthy early access. I wonder if maybe Capcom is expected to be at a different standard?
The thing with Baldur's Gate 3 is that the game is so long I imagine a lot of critics didn't even finish the game when they reviewed it. Main + Extras (which is the main way to play a game especially if its an RPG) is 100+ hours for BG3, whereas DD2 will probably be 50-60 hours for that. So it's possible that the reviewers didn't get to the super buggy parts. Fair? Possibly not, but I kind of get it, especially because I haven't heard about that many major glitches for Act 1 honestly that aren't minor at least.

More than anything I just think it's kinda disappointing the performance is bad, especially because this is basically the game that was made to be what Dragon's Dogma was always supposed to be, that makes it more sour. I'd rather expect better than say it's unfair. It makes me wonder if Itsuno's team just doesn't care that much about performance for open world games because the original DD was also like this.

The IGN review has kinda scared me off a little bit with the talk of difficulty.

I’m planning on trying the first game pretty soon. If that clicks with me than I’ll be on the lookout for a sale later on in the year.

reviewers definitely didn't reach the final acts. understandable of course, since deadlines and most games retain quality and you can get the vast majority of gameplay loops and structure down within 20-30 hours of game

reviewers definitely didn't reach the final acts. understandable of course, since deadlines and most games retain quality and you can get the vast majority of gameplay loops and structure down within 20-30 hours of game
For pretty much any 50 hour game main story 100 hour with side quests and 200-300 if you wanna go after everything game will never be reviewed based on everything they offer.

this is running at 30fps on ps5/xboxx? does it even run on series S?
DD2 appears to be CPU bound more than GPU bound, judging by PC benchmarks. The Series S has a CPU roughly on par with both the Series X and PS5, so framerate isn't much different, just image quality. That said, I'll definitely be playing on my PS5 instead of my Series S.

Stumbled on this review and it's the most informative one I've seen, game looks solid and I'll prob buy it eventually. But man I really wished they would have changed the healing system.

The review I was most interested in was Austin Walker’s as he’s a Dragon’s Dogma super fan. He essentially came out of games writing retirement for it. Dragon’s Dogma II sounds super rad.

Man this looks enticing but I've never been one to do two big RPGs back to back, now that I just finished Rebirth and am still polishing off that playthrough. Will definitely pop this on the wish list, though.

Welp as someone who has to get the PC version, it sounds like I'll be a bit frustrated until they patch things. This is just like MH World again 😮‍💨 But glad the core game is great.

Just wanted to double check no one else is making a DD2 thread before starting mine?

Back
Top Bottom