• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate - Pre-Release Discussion

Dakhil

2010 experience points!
Founder
dragonquest.jpg

Welcome to the only place in FamiBoards to discuss anything about Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate before release date!

I'll also try to update the OP with any news and/or rumours regarding Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. So please check the OP periodically.

Also if there's any way I can make the OP look better, please let me know.

Last updated: 18 October 2021 12:30 (UTC-07:00)
~September 2021~
20 September 2021 → Orca via Gematsu: Orca's confirmed to be one of the co-developers for Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, alongside HexaDrive and Square Enix. Orca's also recruiting Unreal Engine 5 development staff for the following positions for Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate:
13 September 2021 → HexaDrive via Gematsu: HexaDrive's confirmed to be a co-developer of Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, alongside Square Enix. HexaDrive's also recruiting development staff for the game designer, programmer, and environment artist positions for Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate.

~July 2021~
19 July 2021 → Square Enix via Gematsu: Square Enix president and CEO Yosuke Matsuda remarked during Weekly Famitsu that "Dragon Quest XII is being developed taking into account the next 10 to 20 years of the Dragon Quest series" and that "There are parts that remain consistent with the traditional image of Dragon Quest, but new elements are also necessary. After all, as a brand we always need to innovate".

Last edited:
I’m going to be honest: Dragon Quest is my favorite series in all of gaming, but after the comments about this game changing combat focus and being more for “adults,” I’m going to keep my hype in check and expectations low until we actually see it.

I’m going to be honest: Dragon Quest is my favorite series in all of gaming, but after the comments about this game changing combat focus and being more for “adults,” I’m going to keep my hype in check and expectations low until we actually see it.
I feel mostly the same. I won't hate on it right now because I haven't seen it at all, but at the same time I should probably not expect it to be too much like XI, which is one of my favorite games in the last few years. Overall I'm more excited than worried, though.

don't have a very good feeling about this tbh. i'm bracing for disappointment when they finally show it in 2025.

I wouldn't mind an ATB system for DQ12 but DQ12 should not be turned into an action RPG, we've got enough of those. I think DQ12 will have better music since Sugiyama is no longer of this earth but it's also possible that there was some prerecorded music too.

I'll keep an eye on this one. To be honest I have only completed two games in the series before, (IV and V on DS). One of these days I will start DQ 11 lol

I just hope it doesn't lose the Akira art style what with the movie and anime not having it.

I keep forgetting they announced this game... I wish they would had held off until we got some gameplay/character art or something.

If you want some fun graphical tabs for the thread once more information on the game comes, reach out to me and I gotcha.

Thanks for the thread Dakhil!

I really hope they'll tell us more about the game next year!

What do you guys think will happen with the soundtrack side of the game/series now that Sugiyama passed away?

Will they have someone else who will be the face of the series' soundtrack? Or will it vary from game to game?

Personally, I hope they will go with Shimomura. Mitsuda, Koshiro, Sakuraba and Sakimoto are others I think would be great. There are also composers who are not in the game industry, similar to how Sugiyama was, but I don't can't really come up with someone from the top of my head.

As soon as we get more details about this, I finally plan on cracking open my copy of DQXIS. It's been eons since I've played a DQ game, with my first being the DQM spin-offs, but I love me some classic, old school RPG action and while I am excited for the changes they'll make, I'm equally apprehensive. This franchise is a tentpole of the genre, don't shake it up too much.

DQXI made me fall in love with the series again after a long hiatus(since PS2 days) and I'm kinda nervous about where they go with this one because of the tone of the teaser. But I'm guessing it's years away yet right?

I just hope it doesn't lose the Akira art style what with the movie and anime not having it.

I doubt that they will. Spinoffs having or not having Toriyama's designs may occur on a case by case basis (like with Dai). But he's always been on tap for the main series.

There's certain things I don't see them overhauling much, no matter where the "tone" of this next game goes.

Give me that sweet Lumen enhanced toriyama art. I honestly don't think this is hitting the OG switch

My guess is this will be a Cloud release on OG Switch, and release natively on Switch 4K and PS5. If it releases in 2023, PS4 will be dead and buried long before then, so I doubt it hits that at all.

My guess is this will be a Cloud release on OG Switch, and release natively on Switch 4K and PS5. If it releases in 2023, PS4 will be dead and buried long before then, so I doubt it hits that at all.
I think by then, most devs would have abandoned cloud on switch due to unviability

Yeah, I'm also hoping the comments about this being more adult have just been misunderstood. The art style is one of the reasons I'm a fan of the series. Plus the stories can already deal with heavy themes.

Also interesting they dropped the sword T, which is something they did for the older Western releases, until they decided we could cope with a T looking like a sword.

As for console - I can still see Switch being the lead console for it. This is a series that goes for the highest selling system and it's not like the Switch can't support a large scale DQ as seen with XI.

Easily my most anticipated game right now. I know some people will have concerns over the vague comments about potential shakeups to the series, coupled with the lack of information we have on the game right now. I wouldn't worry, personally. Horii and Co. have never missed with a DQ yet, and he knows the soul of Dragon Quest better than anyone. If he has plans to switch things up and lay down new future foundations, I know they'll be well thought out and executed by release day.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this game looks. I've been playing DQ8 on an emulator, and seeing it rendered in 2K shows how beautiful this game still is, even if it is dang near twenty years old at this point. I've also been playing some of the free parts of DQ10, and boy, does that look good too! DQ11 looking amazing also goes without saying :p Either way, I know XII should look great. I think Toriyama's artstyle holds up through the test of time.

As far as music goes, I'm not sure what the style of composition was like for Dragon Quest. I don't know how much, if any, work has been done on the game in that regard. There's also the potential that there's a lot of unused work that they might use for this game. I'd like them to move forward with this one. I think it would be a neat experience if they recruited a lot of top/famous composers across Japan and have them contribute work in a "what does Dragon Quest mean to me?" kinda sense. I get there might be some cohesiveness issues with that, but I think they could make it work. That could also give them more time to figure out what to do going forward -- assuming they don't have a plan already.

I really don't think the "for adults" thing means anything in regards to gameplay or art, probably more about the story. Which is silly of course because DQ has always had very very dark stories. I'm guessing maybe they'll tone down the silly and jovial NPC banter and music which often feels odd juxtaposed with the darker scenes.

I've always found that dissonance charming but I can see them changing that aspect.

I really don't think the "for adults" thing means anything in regards to gameplay or art, probably more about the story. Which is silly of course because DQ has always had very very dark stories. I'm guessing maybe they'll tone down the silly and jovial NPC banter and music which often feels odd juxtaposed with the darker scenes.

I've always found that dissonance charming but I can see them changing that aspect.
I think it's more about the art. that and story. I think when people say "adult" they don't mean merely touching on topics but having a constant feeling of danger and non-positive feeling. something like Act 2 of DQ11, but with a darker color palette to match

This is tangential, but I would like to see the series playable in modern hardware while we wait for this.

I have two friends who loved DQXI on Switch and PS4. They can't play VIII without a 3DS, PS2, or emulator, V without a DS or emulator, etc. They can play III easily and we're getting a remake, but that's it.

I just hope it isn't a huge departure from the franchise. Like I do expect them to improve upon previous installments and add changes, but I seriously hope it doesn't have a change that's detrimental to the identity of the series.

After 10 DQ games that are all largely similar, and how perfect 11 was, I’m totally on board for whatever direction they want to take this.

Series don’t need to stay the same forever. The old games are still there if you want to play them.

Drago Quest is far away my favorite game series, only Mario and SMT come close. 99% chance this will be for Switch. DQ always comes out on the most popular system. It's why the made an MMO for Wii and a version of XI for 3DS in Japan.

I think it's more about the art. that and story. I think when people say "adult" they don't mean merely touching on topics but having a constant feeling of danger and non-positive feeling. something like Act 2 of DQ11, but with a darker color palette to match
Maybe yeah, I just very much doubt they're going away from Toriyama for this.

Maybe it'll have a different artistic tone, but it will have the same general art style and character designs I think. Maybe not the MC?

Maybe yeah, I just very much doubt they're going away from Toriyama for this.

Maybe it'll have a different artistic tone, but it will have the same general art style and character designs I think. Maybe not the MC?
They don't have to ditch Toriyama for this. He can come up with some troubled protagonist that fits a grim dark world

This thread feels like it was made, like, a year too soon. Horii just says stuff.

I don't know, Yuji Horii is one of the biggest names in the industry and incredibly consistent. Man has not missed since 1983, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I am confident DQ will retain its traditional DQ roots whatever they do.

If I'm not mistaken, DQ is co-owned by Armor Project (Horii's studio), Bird Studio (Toriyama's studio) and Sugiyama (I'm not sure what's happening with this part now), so I doubt it wouldn't have Toriyama's art.

Also, Toriyama is more than capable of conveying a more mature tone through his art. Despite the memes about everyone looking like Goku (which I find silly tbh), hes a very versatile artist, he can range from extremely campy (Dr. Slump, Nekomajin, earlier DQ) to very grim like the most serious parts of Dragon Ball, and he's always varying the style and proportions through the different DQ games, going from chibi like DQ 1-3 and VII to realistic proportions in VIII and XI or a middle ground like IX.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, DQ is co-owned by Armor Project (Horii's studio), Bird Studio (Toriyama's studio) and Sugiyama (I'm not sure what's happening with this part now), so I doubt it wouldn't have Toriyama's art.

Also, Toriyama is more than capable of conveying a more mature tone through his art. Despite the memes about everyone looking like Goku (which I find silly tbh), hes a very versatile artist, he can range from extremely campy (Dr. Slump, Nekomajin, earlier DQ) to very grim like the most serious parts of Dragon Ball, and he's always varying the style and proportions through the different DQ games, going from chibi like DQ 1-3 and VII to realistic proportions in VIII and XI or a middle ground like IX.

And his monster/demon/furry/alien/etc. designs have ALWAYS been on point, even on those days when his humans left much to be desired.

But speaking of "aliens" and the like...I wonder if they may finally decide it's time to try something different besides the typical fantasy setting. The series has certainly flirted with some wild things like robotic wyverns, time travel and the like, but unless I missed it in some spin-off I have yet to play, they've never gone for something as decidedly different as introducing a full on alien threat, right?

Maybe that could be a way to change things up!

Quoted by: Yzz
And his monster/demon/furry/alien/etc. designs have ALWAYS been on point, even on those days when his humans left much to be desired.

But speaking of "aliens" and the like...I wonder if they may finally decide it's time to try something different besides the typical fantasy setting. The series has certainly flirted with some wild things like robotic wyverns, time travel and the like, but unless I missed it in some spin-off I have yet to play, they've never gone for something as decidedly different as introducing a full on alien threat, right?

Maybe that could be a way to change things up!

DQXI SPOILERS
DQXI's third act has something resembling a cosmic being, a la Lavos or Jenova.

They should properly bring over DQ10's combat. 11's free movement was such a huge disappointment since there was no purpose to it
Yeah, the free movement/camera was such a tease, but it seriously ended up being majorly underwhelming. There was no real point to it, at least none that I perceived as impactful. I mean, it's a cool option, I guess?

DQXI SPOILERS
DQXI's third act has something resembling a cosmic being, a la Lavos or Jenova.

True!

But in the end, I guess I'm wondering the scales will ever tip more towards the sci-fi side of things and just have a truly alien presence, with like a whole race/civilization to match, instead of another thing that occupies the same cosmic/supernatural niche that the demon lords can occupy. Just a fun thing I wondered about if the series ever wanted to try something a bit new!

I would love to get any info at all on Dragon Quest. It's been two years since they revealed DQ3 remake, which I thought was a smaller project that was going to be released that same year, but we haven't heard anything about it since.

I think they had a rough time figuring stuff out after Sugiyama died.

Love DQ but it could do with some more strategic flair outside of keeping buffs going and attacking, especially if 12 doesn't have a job system. Game is quite far off I'm sure so I won't worry about the combat system yet.

I can’t bring myself to follow any more Dragon Quest threads and let those notifications Do Me Like That, but I will be checking in! After the masterpiece that was XI S I have a lot of faith in any renovations being thoughtful and compelling.

Seriously though. DQ XII, III Remake, X Offline…give us something Yuji

I be surprise if we here info this year. This game seems at least 2 years away (late 2024, but more likely 2025).
8 years between XI and XII feels crazy to me. But I guess it’s possible. They definitely announced it (and DQIII HD-2D) way too early.

8 years between XI and XII feels crazy to me. But I guess it’s possible. They definitely announced it (and DQIII HD-2D) way too early.
The announcement of those projects was more of a anniversary thing. Treasure did came out 1 1/2 year later and Tact also came out early last year. But looking back at the DQ remake, and comparing Live a Live and OP2, (which came out after its announcement) it seemed early in dev like the og Octopath 1 trailer.

Back
Top Bottom