• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince announced for Nintendo Switch, coming December 1st (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw shit I'm drooling. Looks too good. That new fusion mechanic looks rad as hell, fusions actually look like the old monsters.

And that DQ4 tease...

Looks like I gotta do my research and play DQIV this year. I was going to wait and play DQIII remake first but IDK when that game is ever coming out. Happy to see this series live on, even if I’ve never played it myself.

This looked interesting. I'd probably wait for reviews to see if it is worth the gamble though

Negative comment incoming, sorry:

Alright, somebody explain to me why do these recent DQ spinoffs all look so fucking terrible visually. It can't just be Switch being the lead platform can it?

I might be somewhat interested in it conceptually but the whole look of the game is so off-putting I just can't. Also what's up with these Monsters games having edgy looking protags every time? The earlier ones were way nicer.

SQEX looked at Gamefreak and told the DQM team to be just a productive, huh?

I didn't even get Treasures as of now ....

Slow down, please.

Alright, somebody explain to me why do these recent DQ spinoffs all look so fucking terrible visually. It can't just be Switch being the lead platform can it?

I might be somewhat interested in it conceptually but the whole look of the game is so off-putting I just can't. Also what's up with these Monsters games having edgy looking protags every time? The earlier ones were way nicer.
I think it's using the same engine of DQ Treasures, but looking at the trailer it actually looked more detailed, so there is def some improvement: I understand if it's not the style but it's still waaaaaaaay better than DQM Joker world map. I guess it's an issue with this team since they have only worked with handhelds

I'll play it and like it because it's DQ + (more importantly, maybe) it's a monster collector/team builder game but it honestly does look pretty cheap/very visually unimpressive. But I guess it has a really low budget anyways so whatever.

I think it's using the same engine of DQ Treasures, but looking at the trailer it actually looked more detailed, so there is def some improvement: I understand if it's not the style but it's still waaaaaaaay better than DQM Joker world map. I guess it's an issue with this team since they have only worked with handhelds
Yeah, sorry for being a debbie downer ahah

I understand that the team is what it is and that these DQ spinoffs are, quite frankly, cash cows for Square (meaning low budget high profit, regardless of being good/bad), it's just that I can't help but look at it and have any interest I could have killed.

It's not the end of the world though! I still have III Remake and XII to look forward to! Where the fuck is 3 thoooooooooooooough, can't believe both Octopath and Star Ocean will be out before it.

All the Treasures haters saying that it killed the Monsters series. If we can have both, that would be amazing! Treasures is an extremely underrated game. Some of the most fun I've had exploring a game world before TOTK came out.

Not bothered about the visuals, think the DQ art style will carry it.

Just happy for more DQM.

Yeah, sorry for being a debbie downer ahah

I understand that the team is what it is and that these DQ spinoffs are, quite frankly, cash cows for Square (meaning low budget high profit, regardless of being good/bad), it's just that I can't help but look at it and have any interest I could have killed.

It's not the end of the world though! I still have III Remake and XII to look forward to! Where the fuck is 3 thoooooooooooooough, can't believe both Octopath and Star Ocean will be out before it.
Oh I totally understand, I know a lot of people also skipped Treasures because of the graphics (besides beleiving it killed the Monsters series), and it's makes sense to use the same engine since as you mentioned it's a low budget game, Guess it's part of the result a lot of people didn't see about unifying portable and home console. With that said it's always good we got more Monsters

Also for me this killed DQ3 HD this year OTL

Looks way more interesting that I thought, and way more interesting than Treasure

Cant wait for it and Dai, this Autumn

After SMBW this was THE announcement for me. It's surprising to me that they hadn't tried to capitalize on Psaro's popularity before this.

the japanese trailer is completely different!

I really hope there are more original compositions. I like Sugiyama's music in spite of its creator, but it gets tiresome how every game recycles the same tunes. Even more so when I'm currently playing DQXI and it's clear the dude botched the job in.

Happy for this just wish SE would release the DQM 1+2 Switch ports they did a few years back outside Japan.

So we play as young Psaro, with Hero of 4 being teased as well. Also no numbered title in the west, but I did hear Koizumi call this DQM3.

Anyway, I'm hyped. I was secretly hoping they would say DQM1 and 2 will get ports, but I can't get too greedy!

This was one of the top games of the Direct for me. Really glad that a new entry in the series isn't nearly as far off as I thought it'd be (and pretty surprised we seem to be getting this before the DQ3 remake).

Hope that we can get Ultra Slime in this one, preferably not as tied to online functions as in prior games!

DQMJ2-Ultra-slime-1.png

I have to really start 11 and treasures lol

I'm very hyped for this game too, always liked the monsters games

Last edited:
Treasures was UE4 and I assume this is the same

Really excited for this game as Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 was somewhat of an obsession for me with the amount of monsters and possibilities.

I am slightly disappointed with the art style from what I've seen now, while it reminds me of the second entry in the game I had hoped they would push for some fresher art. Still... Very popping colours.

I took a glance at the Nintendo page and saw the software is only little over 4 GB, while that doesn't necessarily say much it kinda tells me the graphical fidelity remained the same.

I remember there was a time this game went through troubling development:
  • Taichi Inuzuka, Producer: “For the new Dragon Quest Monsters game… while I do want to say something cheerful, it really doesn’t feel like it’s going that way. I want to work hard to make something happen soon, but it feels like the more effort I put into it the more fruitless they become?”
So I really wonder what that was about.

Excited to see more all the same!

Really excited for this game as Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 was somewhat of an obsession for me with the amount of monsters and possibilities.

I am slightly disappointed with the art style from what I've seen now, while it reminds me of the second entry in the game I had hoped they would push for some fresher art. Still... Very popping colours.

I took a glance at the Nintendo page and saw the software is only little over 4 GB, while that doesn't necessarily say much it kinda tells me the graphical fidelity remained the same.

I remember there was a time this game went through troubling development:

So I really wonder what that was about.

Excited to see more all the same!

I think that quote is from back when Treasures was originally going to be a Monsters game starring Erik and Mia. I'd certainly like to know more about what happened in development there and how this DQM we're now getting came about.

Treasure was 3 gigs, and for the amount of areas it has, it was very good, despite the lower graphical settings. Going to say here they actually are optimizing the engine

Treasure was 3 gigs, and for the amount of areas it has, it was very good, despite the lower graphical settings. Going to say here they actually are optimizing the engine

Oh I am sure the game will be just fine, but while I played DQ treasure I also noticed the same kind of repetition in the graphics as DQW2 had, an area can be big and broad but that doesn't really take a lot of data when it's the same textures appearing all around through programming. What I see from it is that this formula of how a world is built and how the texture mapping works has remained the same since DQM2 for 3DS (1.81G) (and all other areas like Music complexity and animation remain the same as well)

Still, it IS part of the charm that the DQ spinoff worlds all have and it definitely shouldn't be a problem for its gameplay or anything, it is part of what we expect from a Dragon Monster game after all (?) Save the ambition for DQ 12. Still, a bit of a shakeup would be nice so I am excited to hear more about the game.

I have to be honest about Treasure though, while I enjoyed it for what it was the gameplay loop fell flat relatively quick for me.

Last edited:
That was maybe the biggest surprise for me in the Direct, I was not expecting a new DQM so soon after Treasures, when they confirmed one was in production I assumed it was still in early dev stage.

The western trailer is kinda bad, but the japanese one is great. I'm also very curious why they're dubbing this DQM3 and not a sequel to the Joker brand, makes it feel more special and I hope there's a reason tied to the gameplay.

I'm just happy to get a new DQM confirmed for the west from day 1 again, it's been too damn long.

Yeah, I don’t understand why Switch continues getting games that look so graphically dated 6 years in. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 wasn’t particularly impressive on 3DS, but at least it fit with the capabilities of the system. What we saw of this in the Western direct looked graphically mid on even a 360/PS3 level to me, though as mentioned above the Japanese trailer looked a good deal better.

Will at least keep an eye on it, but the graphics + lack of monster riding in the trailer don’t inspire confidence.

The western trailer is kinda bad, but the japanese one is great. I'm also very curious why they're dubbing this DQM3 and not a sequel to the Joker brand, makes it feel more special and I hope there's a reason tied to the gameplay.
I think they stated around Joker 3’s release that they were done with the Joker brand but would continue with DQ Monsters. From the trailer this certainly seems much more in line with the exploration focus of the “Joker” games (and plot focus of Joker 3 in particular) than the dungeon-crawling of DQM 1 & 2.

i love that they are using psaro as the main character. He was the final boss of 4 right (hope this isn't considered a spoiler. Its a nes game).

From the trailer this certainly seems much more in line with the exploration focus of the “Joker” games (and plot focus of Joker 3 in particular) than the dungeon-crawling of DQM 1 & 2.

Interesting point, it made me look for more differences between Monsters & Joker and then I found this Reddit post by mcantrell:

So Dragon Quest Monsters had the following games in the series:

• DQM
  • DQM2
  • DQM Caravan Heart
  • DQM Joker
  • DQM Joker 2 / 2 Pro
  • DQM Joker 3 / 3 Pro
  • DQM 3 (Coming this year for Switch)
DQM1 and 2 had a very specific monster evolution style.

Monsters were of a family and that's it. So your slime was a member of the slime family, but there wasn't anything else defining his power in the slime family tree.

Monsters had 3 innate skills. You learned them at a certain stat and level points -- for example, you'd learn the dragon's fire breath at a certain max HP, and it'd turn into stronger versions of the skill as you gained more HP.

When you bred monsters, they'd learn all their own innate skills, as well as the innate skills their parents could learn -- or parents knew when they were bred. This made for a very complex system but one that was basically impossible to balance for multiplayer. There was effectively no way to validate a monster as not being hacked, for example, as you could make any monster do anything with enough time and effort.

Caravan Heart changed this up significantly, and I think that's why they gave it a different name.

They changed the system by having a different, heart based system for monster evolution and skills, that had your monsters backed up by humans in your party. Each party slot was a caravan slot, and had a weight limit. Monsters had a certain weight and the rest of the caravan slot could be filled with humans to back them up. This heart system was likely based on Dragon Quest 7, although it was nothing like it.

Amongst other things, IIRC you could reincarnate monsters as humans and humans as monsters in order to make for some extremely powerful parties... eventually.

I don't remember CH much, other than I enjoyed it. It was effectively a roguelike with a world map based on Dragon Quest 2.

Joker had a completely different monster system.

Monsters still had families but they also had ranks. They also no longer had inherent skills, but instead had skilltrees, like Dragon Quest 8. Some of these were based on monster families, some were based on elements, some were based on specific iconic monsters. For example you might have a skilltree all about fire breath attacks, or a generic skilltree for slime family monsters.

This was more balanced for competitive play. You could validate monsters. "No, there's no way you could get Estark's skill on that slime." That sort of deal.

Joker 2 (I think) created what would later be called Streetpass by Nintendo, basically allowing your handheld to share data while you walked around with it in sleep mode.

DQM3 looks like it has story elements of DQM1/2 (the mascot character looks like he's related to the mascot character of DQM1/2, Watabou) but the monster system of Joker 3. Probably some changes to it all.

Yeah, I don’t understand why Switch continues getting games that look so graphically dated 6 years in. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 wasn’t particularly impressive on 3DS, but at least it fit with the capabilities of the system. What we saw of this in the Western direct looked graphically mid on even a 360/PS3 level to me, though as mentioned above the Japanese trailer looked a good deal better.

Will at least keep an eye on it, but the graphics + lack of monster riding in the trailer don’t inspire confidence.
The Japanese trailer doesn't look any better to me. The same, ugly, unlit look. They didn't even bother to try to paint on lighting into the textures. Kinda implies it was designed for light sources but instead if baking them, they just removed them all.

Found a tidbit not shared in the English press material, it's about the amount of Monsters appearing in the new game:

Players can experiment and eventually unlock over 500 monsters, including franchise favorites, dark lords, and completely new creatures.

From Gematsu

Game sounds fairly meaty from the info so far, with probably 7 main areas (assuming they're going for a 7 circles of hell thing), 3 sub areas for each, seasonal variations, and a pretty damn large monster count.

Hopefully the gameplay holds up

Is Ronin Racoon an homage to Rocky Racoon from the Beatles? lol
Rocky Raccoon is about a man who dies trying to kill the man his girl ran off with. Ronin Raccoon is a wizened rodent with a walking stick. I’m thinking these two are unrelated.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in the blogpost more than what was shown in the reveal trailer. Also just started playing through Dragon Quest IV for the first time yesterday. Wasn't on my radar much with the initial reveal but I'm definitely getting more interested in this.

I'm excited there is 500 monsters versus 300 from DQJ2. There's also multi-player battling again which was fun when you found a match back in the DS days. The game looks very colorful, but seems like it will be graphically meh on the switch, maybe I'll get the PC verision.

Hopefully they learnt some lessons from DQ Treasures and release a demo before the game releases lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom