• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons Announced - Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One

Love what I'm seeing so far! Pity that they decided to go more with "gunner girl" Marian, compared to the buff, Noi-inspired design that RC Girls' version used.

Also interested to see just how much the "roguelite" factors in.

I guess Matt McMuscles' retrospective and last "Wha Happun" on the franchise just summonned Double Dragon back from the grave.
Looks nice, despite the super deformed aspect. Glad they added new playable characterrs too, it's about time to refresh the cast (still love Billy & Jimmy being playable, but it adds variety & change).

I’m guessing WayForward and Tribute were busy with RCG2 and Shredder’s Revenge when this went into development? Not heard of this developer before so hopefully this turns out well.

I feel like I got tonal whiplash. Reading that it now takes place after a nuclear war seems grim and dark and then... bright cutesy sprites.

Oh, hell yeah. Jimmy and Billy are back! Looks sweet. I do prefer Streets of Rage 4 style hand drawn art, but I won't say not to this also. Like the new character designs. But PLEASE, have some filter options. I have a prosthetic eye lens, big pixels give me serious headaches.
I guess Matt McMuscles' retrospective and last "Wha Happun" on the franchise just summonned Double Dragon back from the grave.
"Grave"? Franchise is far from dead. Latest new entry was released in 2017 (DD4), Neon got ported to Switch in 2020 and DD is part of a much bigger universe Kunio-kun. Which, thanks to WayForward, has been getting releases in the last few years.

I’m guessing WayForward and Tribute were busy with RCG2 and Shredder’s Revenge when this went into development? Not heard of this developer before so hopefully this turns out well.
Turns out they're behind "Streets of Red". Which, as it turns out, is another brawler that also has roguelite elements in the mix.

Might have to give that a try later...

I feel like I got tonal whiplash. Reading that it now takes place after a nuclear war seems grim and dark and then... bright cutesy sprites.
To be fair, that's pretty much DD in a nutshell.

On one hand, the majority of the series plays its Fist of the North Star-inspired roots straight, with it being post-apocalyptic war, mystical martial arts lineages being the rulers of the day, and the ensuing tragedies thereof as former friends, family and the like are forced to fight each other.

...then you still get some silly moments of (un)intentional humor, before you even talk about the likes of DD Neon and DD personalities showing up in the Kunio-kun side of things.

Oh, hell yeah. Jimmy and Billy are back! Looks sweet. I do prefer Streets of Rage 4 style hand drawn art, but I won't say not to this also. Like the new character designs. But PLEASE, have some filter options. I have a prosthetic eye lens, big pixels give me serious headaches.

"Grave"? Franchise is far from dead. Latest new entry was released in 2017 (DD4), Neon got ported to Switch in 2020 and DD is part of a much bigger universe Kunio-kun. Which, thanks to WayForward, has been getting releases in the last few years.
Well to be honest, I tried one of the River City Girls on the Switch during the free trial thing and... it did nothing to me. Like, to the point of going back to play River City Ransom on NES. I know the twins cameo'd in River City Girls and I own Double Dragon Neon on both Switch & 360 (loved this one) but man the NES style "Double Dragon 4" was very average IMO.

Neon really came between a massive turd (Double Dragon 2 "Remake" on 360) and a very meh Double Dragon 4.

EDIT :
In my eyes, RCGirls is a bit like Double Dragon 4 : it took a lot from the previous games (and I'm ok with this) while doing nothing to improve and somehow making it much worse, with very painfully slow exploration, a game feel not very good and getting boring very quickly.

I think the series has always been post-apocalyptic or at least the first two games were in their backstory? The chronology of the franchise is messy.
Maybe it was. Looking at Wikipedia now I see mention of the game's setting taking inspiration from things like Mad Max and Fist of the North Star, but from the little the game actually said about itself I just thought the city areas were in bad shape as seen in Final Fight/Streets of Rage/many others.

I think the series has always been post-apocalyptic or at least the first two games were in their backstory? The chronology of the franchise is messy.

Maybe it was. Looking at Wikipedia now I see mention of the game's setting taking inspiration from things like Mad Max and Fist of the North Star, but from the little the game actually said about itself I just thought the city areas were in bad shape as seen in Final Fight/Streets of Rage/many others.

Yup, while the US manual didn't include much info, the japanese manual states that the story happens after a nuclear war. Then they added this backstory in DD2 manual

MIT7Zrr.png

Back
Top Bottom