• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Does anyone remember Pokémon Stars and Star fox grand prix, what were some other game rumors that never came true?

My biggest one has already been mentioned, WWHD and TPHD Switch ports. As much as I love bringing up how wrong VGC's Andy Robinson was when he said they were "100% happening" nearly 3 years ago, I do fully believe they either are coming, or were planned to be coming. Jeff Grubb had his whole "Zelda ports and Metroid Prime HD is coming to Switch" thing, and after months he actually ended up being right about Metroid, so I don't have any reason to doubt that he did have knowledge of WWHD and TPHD at one point.

My theory (which I will happily share any chance I get in every direct speculation until they are announced), is that they were to be released in 2023 after TOTK released in 2022, but with the delay it shifted everything Zelda related back, similar to how Starfield's delay shifted the releases of Oblivion remastered and Fallout 3 remastered back. I firmly believe 2024 will be the year, and if not we still get a new console so I win either way.
After Prime Remastered being sit upon for a lot of months, it wouldn’t surprise me that theyre also sitting on the Zelda games in order to fill up possible calendar blanks they may have

In regards to Star Fox Grand Prix, I always assumed someone saw Starlink gameplay and came to wrong conclusions and as a result leaked inaccurate information. This is what I assume someone that was a full fledge Star Fox Racing game:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full race from this mode, why does this look so fun and almost exactly how I figured Star Fox Grand Prix would work?

On topic, not the drill the point any further but Prime Trilogy lol.

I find Metroid Prime Trilogy particularly fun because the full story is that it was going to happen, but was scrapped since Retro Studios had to focus on Prime 4 instead... but somehow everyone mistook "Retro is no longer doing Trilogy" as "Retro finished Trilogy". So we spent years thinking Nintendo was sitting on finished HD ports until some dude on ResetEra went "y'all stupid."

I find Metroid Prime Trilogy particularly fun because the full story is that it was going to happen, but was scrapped since Retro Studios had to focus on Prime 4 instead... but somehow everyone mistook "Retro is no longer doing Trilogy" as "Retro finished Trilogy". So we spent years thinking Nintendo was sitting on finished HD ports until some dude on ResetEra went "y'all stupid."
Imran Khan's (journalist who brought up all the original rumors) behavior in all that was really bad too

For real, though: SF Grand Prix was a cool idea and I'm still annoyed how many people reacted to it with "but Metroid..."
We already kinda had a Star Fox racing game, so I'm not too bummed about it's "loss". What we really need is Zero Racers to finally get leaked or released officially so we get the actual middle ground between the series gameplay wise (and James McCloud's first planned appearance, allegedly)

heh you all are amateurs

FsfuuA3XgAAYZyc.jpg

God, I remember the Acid Ghost rumor back when I was still in High School.

As for Pokemon Stars, wasn't there some truth to it? It being a tech demo for Switch wouldn't surprise me.

As for Pokemon Stars, wasn't there some truth to it? It being a tech demo for Switch wouldn't surprise me.
That was Joe Merrick (aka Serebii)'s take on the whole situation, but Tom Philips wrote a post-mortem where, after talking to his sources again, he's came to the conclusion that the game was cancelled in mid-to-late 2016 due to Nintendo gaining increased confidence in the Switch's potential success (thus no need for Pokémon to make the jump ASAP) and a desire to have the 3DS supported with more titles throughout 2017 (hence USUM, which did began development towards the end of SuMo's development). He just happened to get information that was outdated by the time it reached him, and since Philips' reporting is usually pretty damn solid, I believe his take.

That was Joe Merrick (aka Serebii)'s take on the whole situation, but Tom Philips wrote a post-mortem where, after talking to his sources again, he's came to the conclusion that the game was cancelled in mid-to-late 2016 due to Nintendo gaining increased confidence in the Switch's potential success (thus no need for Pokémon to make the jump ASAP) and a desire to have the 3DS supported with more titles throughout 2017 (hence USUM, which did began development towards the end of SuMo's development). He just happened to get information that was outdated by the time it reached him, and since Philips' reporting is usually pretty damn solid, I believe his take.
the problem is that such development would conflict with the two Switch Pokemon games already in development at that time

the problem is that such development would conflict with the two Switch Pokemon games already in development at that time
I don't think it does, given the timeline laid out, wherein Stars was supposedly in concurrent production with Sun/Moon according to Phillips, while we know production on both Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword/Shield only began after Sun/Moon shipped. Stars getting swapped out in favor of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon wouldn't have affected that, since it feels like a safe bet that Kazumasa Iwao's team just shifted projects while Masuda and Ohmori went off to do their thing.

Last edited:
I don't think it does, given the timeline laid out, wherein Stars was supposedly in concurrent production with Sun/Moon according to Phillips, while we know production on both Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword/Shield only began after Sun/Moon shipped. Stars getting swapped out in favor of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon wouldn't have affected that, since it feels like a safe bet that Kazumasa Iwao's team just shifted projects while Masuda and Ohmori went off to do their thing.
those games weren't made in 2-ish years. especially Let's Go. I still don't see Stars being a viable product when they have 2+ games already planned and in development. 1 year span isn't enough to make any sort of determination that Eurogamer was suggesting

those games weren't made in 2-ish years. especially Let's Go. I still don't see Stars being a viable product when they have 2+ games already planned and in development.
They release Pokémon games year after year all the time. Already having games for 2018 and 2019 in the works wouldn't stop them from having something from 2017, too.

They release Pokémon games year after year all the time. Already having games for 2018 and 2019 in the works wouldn't stop them from having something from 2017, too.
yea, I just don't think Stars was ever it. USUM was probably that since they already had two Switch games in the works

Pokémon Stars is a big one because Eurogamer announced it the exact same day Sun and Moon came out. And they kept backpedaling when USUM and Let’s Go released, saying it used to be Pokémon Stars. I don’t think they ever admitted they were just straight up wrong. A tech demo on hardware is not a game, and the name was a complete fabrication.

Star Fox Grand Prix is my favorite because it fooled literally everyone. So many game publications were 100% confident about its existence, but it was all bunk. Did You Know Gaming has a great video on it. I had no idea RogersBase was behind so much of it.

Yet another favorite is good ol’ Marcus Sellers adamant that Call of Duty was coming to Switch, but it never materialized. Which is funny because it’s a softball assumption that would hook gullible people on social media, but Activision really never tried to put CoD on Switch.

We have actual technical evidence that it existed.
dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

There's a fair amount of evidence that Switch OLED was being built as a "Switch Pro" at an early phase of development, but that actually just makes the situation more confusing, since there's no solid evidence that version of the system ever left Nintendo and the rumors were prolonged well past the point where confusion over the change could have reasonably persisted. That was also rather blatantly not the system certain sources were describing.

Something very strange was going on with hardware rumors in 2021, and the hardware evidence doesn't really track with the rumors unless there was some bad information or wild misinterpretations tainting everything.

Na that's not what happened. I promise.

I knew the next game was 3DS and in dev in mid 2016 (USUM which had almost 2 years of dev, building off of SM) while we know Sword & Shield was in dev in early 2016. As was Let's Go. Tom came to me before posting the Stars thing, I told him he was wrong ,next game would be 3DS. He didn't listen. He has said he had 3 separate sources tell him the same thing, but I believe what happened was similar with Star Fox GP where those 3 all heard it from the same person and so the "3 sources to corroborate a leak" thing falls apart.

I've had it confirmed to me that Stars was never a thing.

He just got the whole engine porting of GFLib2 from 3DS to Switch mixed up

Na that's not what happened. I promise.

I knew the next game was 3DS and in dev in mid 2016 (USUM which had almost 2 years of dev, building off of SM) while we know Sword & Shield was in dev in early 2016. As was Let's Go. Tom came to me before posting the Stars thing, I told him he was wrong ,next game would be 3DS. He didn't listen. He has said he had 3 separate sources tell him the same thing, but I believe what happened was similar with Star Fox GP where those 3 all heard it from the same person and so the "3 sources to corroborate a leak" thing falls apart.

I've had it confirmed to me that Stars was never a thing.

He just got the whole engine porting of GFLib2 from 3DS to Switch mixed up
Ah, okay. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

I would have loved Pokemon Stars honestly. The Sun/Moon artstyle holds up reasonably well in HD with AA (on switch, probably not) with texture filtering. It at least has consistent art direction. But lets go was also reasonably fun so eh.

I didn't believe it because making a handheld remaster/rerelease to console just never felt super likely. But I suppose the jump from handheld to hybrid was pretty unique so I could see people expect more 3ds ports near launch.

On that note Starfox GP sounded fun too. That one had waaay too much smoke and apparent "confirmations", people were not vetting well enough there.

The idea that several ports such as Zelda have been complete for years is honestly a little disappointing. There have been several blank spots in the release schedule that would have justified releasing a port. Especially for Zelda Pre- TOTK. Seems like the only reason you would hold on to them is if you expected bigger blank slots in the future, but maybe it was just an issue of mobilizing the resources to get them out for whatever reason.

For Prime remaster I get sitting on it, you want to time it to eventually lead in to Prime 4 (which hasn't happened at all yet, maybe 2/3 do see a release a some point). But For WW/TP, what marketing plan do you have? To time it a year or two before any given 3d Zelda? I guess the next open air game is probably years away, so they might want something to tread water with.

I love "real leak is called fake" images. Especially if they are kind of dull, uninteresting or even disappointing. Its just funny.

There have been several blank spots in the release schedule that would have justified releasing a port. Especially for Zelda Pre- TOTK.
Not really. The Zelda franchise had at least one major release a year since 2017. 2018 had the Definitive Edition of Hyrule Warriors. 2019 had Link's Awakening and Cadence of Hyrule. 2020 had Age of Calamity. 2021 had Skyward Sword HD. The only year that had a blank spot was 2022, which was when Tears of the Kingdom was supposed to come out (which, incidentally, is when the rumours of TP/WW HD ports started in full force).

As much as Pokémon Stars definitely never existed as described, I have been thinking recently that direct ports of the 3DS games to Switch are probably something that could materialize eventually as a future proofing exercise. Pokémon's connection with its past is in a fairly precarious situation right now due to Bank being in a "we'll keep running it but probably not forever" state right now.

Halo on Switch. I still remember when Zell (iirc) suggested it, I was over hyped. I still haven't lost all hope.

Back
Top Bottom