• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Does anyone remember Pokémon Stars and Star fox grand prix, what were some other game rumors that never came true?

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
I remember back in the day when a new Pokémon game was being rumored to come out by euro gamer called Pokémon stars and there was also a star fox game rumored called star fox grand prix. Some people were so confident those games were coming out but nothing came of them. what did you think of these games and what are some other rumored games that never came out?

Pokemon Stars is why my brother never trusts any leaks or rumors I share.

Stiiiilll waiting on the Wind Waker/TP HD dual pack, Andy Robinson.

It is pretty difficult to take people seriously who were predicting Twilight Princess/Wind Waker ports, it's just such an easy prediction to make based off tea leaves.

I was also ultra convinced Mother 3 was coming to Wii U but that's easier to believe might've actually have been on the cards and squashed, like, the run up of Earthbound 1, Beginnings, and then GBA Virtual Console was too convenient.

Wasn't there a rumor a new Mario Kart was coming out on the Switch for a year or so before the Booster Course was announced?

EDIT: Super Mario Odyssey 2's another big one, though to be fair that was (probably) a mock-up from that blatantly real SEGA focus group survey that had legit info on Sonic Frontiers.

Last edited:
Pokemon Stars is why my brother never trusts any leaks or rumors I share.

Stiiiilll waiting on the Wind Waker/TP HD dual pack, Andy Robinson.

for me it was switch pro, and why i outright have a grifter on this forum blocked because they used it to pump their podcast and then acted like it was just plans changing when it didnt come true, lol

but yeah that in general just made me fully tune out of... pretty much every ninty rumor? i seldom believe many of them anymore unless a rating board or something leaks it out.

though with you mentioning Andy, that also reminded me that VGC is usually another outlet I ignore rumors from now, since they seem to lean very heavy on the tabloid aspect to push anything even if it's super flimsy. Still not over them running articles off of shitty translations as if they were fact (only for JP speakers to later point out that no, the machine learning they quoted was nothing like what was really said)

But yeah, Switch Pro and the whole PS Plus program hype were the two biggest burns for me. And like, PS Plus did happen, but when certain people were boasting of dozens or hundreds of PS1 games being made ready for it, and the reality ended up being a slim amount of poor PS1 ports, lots of shitty PSP games, and the PS2 getting fully ignored... Yeah, that somehow was even lower than my already low expectations for what Sony would likely do with that Premium service.

Before the Switch era got really into swing, the big rumor i also fell for and hated having not come true was the GCN ports on Switch rumor. I was so adamant about it, I literally bought my system on launch day primarily thinking Melee or Animal Crossing would hit the eShop any day now and the VC was just taking a while like it did on Wii U. I ended up binging Soldam, BMZ and Bomberman R as my launch month titles with giving Zelda a try instead (and even now that Pikmin 1/2 straight ports show that they will make GCN ports on switch now, I am convinced that rumor of Melee/Luigi Mansion/Animal Crossing coming to Switch was total bull.)

Oh well. Mario Odyssey would have been when I would have bought the Switch no matter what anyhow and I got to play a lot of great games come June so a 3 month drought before I started playing the system on a daily basis wasnt too bad for me

jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

I remember back in the day when a new Pokémon game was being rumored to come out by euro gamer called Pokémon stars and there was also a star fox game rumored called star fox grand prix. Some people were so confident those games were coming out but nothing came of them. what did you think of these games and what are some other rumored games that never came out?
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, Pokemon Gray/Stars, Nintendo Switch Pro, a brand new 2D/3D Donkey Kong game, F-Zero GX remaster, Legend of Zelda Oracle of Age/Season remake and finaly Super Mario Odyssey 2

Wasn't there a rumor a new Mario Kart was coming out on the Switch for a year or so before the Booster Course was announced?
I don't recall anything beyond some people really not wanting to believe Switch would only be getting 8 Deluxe.

IIRC, this was the same time that reports about Splatoon 1 was going to be ported to the Switch. This confused me every time I saw a "leaker" say this, as when I saw the very first Switch trailer, my immediate reaction was "those are new assets, lighting, and animations" they just showed Splatoon 2. It feels like some reporters stuck to this until it was confirmed to be Splatoon 2. But even then, the story for some became "Nintendo was thinking about porting Splatoon 1 but decided to flesh it out more and make Splatoon 2, so my leak isn't exactly wrong"....yeah okay.

In regards to Star Fox Grand Prix, I always assumed someone saw Starlink gameplay and came to wrong conclusions and as a result leaked inaccurate information. This is what I assume someone that was a full fledge Star Fox Racing game:

In regards to Star Fox Grand Prix, I always assumed someone saw Starlink gameplay and came to wrong conclusions and as a result leaked inaccurate information. This is what I assume someone that was a full fledge Star Fox Racing game:

we now know the story of Star Fox Grand Prix. it was a joke that gotten too out of control. Starlink's connection was more a coincidence than someone seeing it and saying it was Grand Prix (though that seemed to have happened, but that's not how SFGP was invented_

For real, though: SF Grand Prix was a cool idea and I'm still annoyed how many people reacted to it with "but Metroid..."

I can't remember the leaker's name ( if anyone remembers this guy LMK) but he had gotten a lucky guess about a Direct and claimed with certainty that Luigi's Mansion DLC was coming to Mario Odyssey. He claimed it was a whole new big world for the game that was all spooky themed, a decent amount believed it too. Next Direct or trailer came around and it was all BS.

From what I remember Pokemon Stars was part of the marketing leak in 2016 that included a codename for what ended up being Kirby Planet Robobot. At the time Nintendo leaks were nigh-unprecedented so on the rare occasion a Direct or something leaked back in those days it was really mind-blowing. For years Nintendo was just this fortress of almost no real leaks.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, Pokemon Gray/Stars, Nintendo Switch Pro, a brand new 2D/3D Donkey Kong game, F-Zero GX remaster, Legend of Zelda Oracle of Age/Season remake and finaly Super Mario Odyssey 2
At this point, I don't even remember if the Oracle games being remade was an actual rumor, or just a collective assumption that just got out of hand like "Well, they did Link's Awakening, so obviously the Oracle games are next. Obviously." Like, I can spit out the origin for every other rumor in that list, but my mind blanks on if some outlet actually promised us that Grezzo was working on the Oracle games.

for me it was switch pro, and why i outright have a grifter on this forum blocked because they used it to pump their podcast and then acted like it was just plans changing when it didnt come true, lol

but yeah that in general just made me fully tune out of... pretty much every ninty rumor? i seldom believe many of them anymore unless a rating board or something leaks it out.

though with you mentioning Andy, that also reminded me that VGC is usually another outlet I ignore rumors from now, since they seem to lean very heavy on the tabloid aspect to push anything even if it's super flimsy. Still not over them running articles off of shitty translations as if they were fact (only for JP speakers to later point out that no, the machine learning they quoted was nothing like what was really said)

But yeah, Switch Pro and the whole PS Plus program hype were the two biggest burns for me. And like, PS Plus did happen, but when certain people were boasting of dozens or hundreds of PS1 games being made ready for it, and the reality ended up being a slim amount of poor PS1 ports, lots of shitty PSP games, and the PS2 getting fully ignored... Yeah, that somehow was even lower than my already low expectations for what Sony would likely do with that Premium service.

Before the Switch era got really into swing, the big rumor i also fell for and hated having not come true was the GCN ports on Switch rumor. I was so adamant about it, I literally bought my system on launch day primarily thinking Melee or Animal Crossing would hit the eShop any day now and the VC was just taking a while like it did on Wii U. I ended up binging Soldam, BMZ and Bomberman R as my launch month titles with giving Zelda a try instead (and even now that Pikmin 1/2 straight ports show that they will make GCN ports on switch now, I am convinced that rumor of Melee/Luigi Mansion/Animal Crossing coming to Switch was total bull.)

Oh well. Mario Odyssey would have been when I would have bought the Switch no matter what anyhow and I got to play a lot of great games come June so a 3 month drought before I started playing the system on a daily basis wasnt too bad for me

It being planned and then plans changing due to Switch sales ramping up even harder / the pandemic is most likely what happened though given everything we know now. The leaker Pyoro currently also has a 100% prediction rate, giving us a lot of the announcements of the last two directs in advance.

I don't even believe that Switch Pro was ever a thing. The wires got mixed and someone confused Switch 2 with a "Switch Pro" and even the OLED revision. Two of them are products that exist and one is not. Nintendo likely never intended a mid-gen refresh. That's just not what they typically do, and it was far too early for a full-on successor.

I mean... looks at the Game Boy Color, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS
Which is why I said typically. The NEW 3DS added functionality that the base system was missing. GBC spawned because Project Atlantis failed to materialize and Virtual Boy flopped harder than anything Nintendo had done, so they couldn't ride out the original Gameboy any longer. These weren't really the same situations.

Idk it just made no sense to me for Nintendo to split their user base with the Switch like this. They aren't really playing the power game anymore and when the Switch was already selling so well it really makes no sense for a system to be so far in development only to suddenly be canceled like that. Stuff like this is planned years out in advance and chances are that the rumors just mixed up the "OLED refresh" and the full generational leap "Switch 2" with a "Switch Pro" model. And i just don't think a Pro Switch ever existed.

Last edited:
Star Fox Grand Prix.... ANNND now I'm triggered again. I'll never forgive the universe for not making this a reality.

Sony and Microsoft also never did mid-gen refreshes that increase the power of their consoles until they suddenly did last-gen. Shit changes.

I recall before the January Switch presentation, there was talk about Star Fox Warriors, what a joke that was.

I have no doubt they did consider Sun & Moon for Switch but probably decided it wasn't worth the resources. I mean they would make their money but GF already struggle with the regular releases so they probably decided to focus on LGPE and SwSh that came in 18 and 19.

Lots of GameCube games got rumored but none became reality: Mario 128, Kirby 3D, DK 64-2, Silicon Knights's next game (Too Human, I believe). I remember IGN's Matt Cassamassina pushing both Mario 128 and Kirby rumors for E3...

Don't we have actual evidence that the Switch Pro existed and that plans actually did change?

That WSJ guy I think made a huge article about it (and he usually made articles only when he was super confident in something, tbf) and that’s what made everyone assume it was real at that point

Then we got OLED’d and it was clear it never existed

Some of the Smash Bros. DLC rumors got insanely out of control. There was a rumor spread that Dante from DMC was a DLC fighter based entirely on the wishful thinking of fans that connected a conspiracy board of dots with items like DMC3 getting a Switch release and some ultra-vague comments from the voice actor of another character from DMCV (not Dante's) that in no way hinted anything.

Somehow, this all boiled over into this collective mass hallucination that Dante was just around the corner.

And then Byleth was revealed, and never before had a DLC reveal made me laugh that hard.

Anyone else remember the rumored Metroid/Star Fox crossover by Retro Studios from before Tropical Freeze was announced? I was one of the few who really wanted that to be real.

I'm not sure it fits the thread since this game actually existed, but I'll forever be haunted by Donkey Kong Racing.

It was gonna be awesome.

Oh, and the Sheik game by Retro Studios. There was so much potential there.

My biggest one has already been mentioned, WWHD and TPHD Switch ports. As much as I love bringing up how wrong VGC's Andy Robinson was when he said they were "100% happening" nearly 3 years ago, I do fully believe they either are coming, or were planned to be coming. Jeff Grubb had his whole "Zelda ports and Metroid Prime HD is coming to Switch" thing, and after months he actually ended up being right about Metroid, so I don't have any reason to doubt that he did have knowledge of WWHD and TPHD at one point.

My theory (which I will happily share any chance I get in every direct speculation until they are announced), is that they were to be released in 2023 after TOTK released in 2022, but with the delay it shifted everything Zelda related back, similar to how Starfield's delay shifted the releases of Oblivion remastered and Fallout 3 remastered back. I firmly believe 2024 will be the year, and if not we still get a new console so I win either way.

Megaton announcement in the GCN days.

It was rumoured Nintendo was going to acquire both Sega and Capcom at once. Ended up being a poor translation from the Naruto: Clash of Ninja annoucement in Japan. I remember the outrage and frustration once this was debunked.

We have actual technical evidence that it existed.

Like what

All the hardware thread talk you mean

Iirc a switch update earlier in 21 added something that matched up with the OLED when it did come out so when the BS rumors kicked up in 2021 it clearly wasnt a thing then, my point still stands: if it changed from a real thing then it already was when the WSJ article hit

What's funny is metroid dread was the first thing that came to mind... I had to correct myself
But yeah we're not getting that zelda bundle

Like what

All the hardware thread talk you mean

Iirc a switch update earlier in 21 added something that matched up with the OLED when it did come out so when the BS rumors kicked up in 2021 it clearly wasnt a thing then, my point still stands: if it changed from a real thing then it already was when the WSJ article hit
There's evidence that what we now know as the OLED model was originally meant to run at higher clock speeds and include some sort of 4K functionality. Like on the board itself. This has been discussed many times. Many people have reported the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom